Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2020, 18:09   #6796
BANNED

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Anyone here who replaced the front armrest lock either OEM or after market? Mine is broken and while enquiring with A.S.S., it is said that the whole central console unit needs to be purchased.

To make it more clear, the lock is mentioned is the one which needs to pressed while opening the front armrest in Honda City 4th generation.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 01:48   #6797
BHPian

I own a 2016 city vx automatic. The car just came back from its 40k kms service. The car had a yellow light on the instrument cluster with a key symbol glowing since the last service which was diagnosed as a faulty on off switch but since it was working i was told to continue using the car till the time it works. Apart from that the car has been serviced every 6 months regardless of the kilometres done but i forgot about extended warranty till it was too late. I have opted for anytime warranty now which will come in handy since the last service threw up certain issues which weren't there before like the blower motor needing to be changed and the headlight leveller working intermittently.

The car is used mostly occasionaly and in the city predominantly. The odometer stands at 40700kms as of now. I have a sudden issue that has cropped up. I parked my car last night working perfectly fine but in the morning when i took it out within 50 metres from the house the car suddenly lost power and the engine check light came on. The car refused to get upto any speed inspite of accelerator inputs so i turned it around and creeped back to my house. I have a ramp leading to the driveway and was backing up on it but the car just didn't have the power to reverse onto it and I saw white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Instead of reversing i then drove the car straight up the ramp and it has been parked since then as I'm travelling from tomorrow so will only manage sending it to the service center on my return in a week's time.

Has anyone faced this issue yet and what could be the cause of it?

Also I've been advised by the service center during my last service to get the brake bled and the brake fluid replaced and my discs skimmed. Appartenly according to them they can see the start of certain lines on the disc and skimming will help prolong life of the discs and honda recommends to replace brake fluid every 3 years so brake bleeding is due. I don't understand this since none of my previous cars have needed this and they were much heavier and faster than the city. Also i haven't even had the brake pads on my fortuner replaced even though it's covered the same amount of kilometres and i sold my Octavia with 90k kms on the odo with brake pads replaced only once! What is your take on these issues guys.
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:59   #6798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
I own a 2016 city vx automatic. The car just came back from its 40k kms service. The car had a yellow light on the instrument cluster with a key symbol glowing since the last service which was diagnosed as a faulty on off switch but since it was working i was told to continue using the car till the time it works.
Keyless Push Button Start problem. I’ve faced this once, got the button replaced under warranty after an OBD diagnosis. Get the button replaced ASAP or one fine day, It’ll stop working and leave you stranded.
Old 22nd January 2020, 13:06   #6799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by city2491 View Post
Keyless Push Button Start problem. I’ve faced this once, got the button replaced under warranty after an OBD diagnosis. Get the button replaced ASAP or one fine day, It’ll stop working and leave you stranded.
Could this warning light also be due to low battery on the car key itself? Or is it directly implying a problem with the starter button?
Old 22nd January 2020, 13:09   #6800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Could this warning light also be due to low battery on the car key itself? Or is it directly implying a problem with the starter button?
When the key battery is low, it shows a KEY BATT logo in the MID near below the clock. This is a button problem. Your warning light may also switch off sometimes and come back on. Once they connect their OBD scanner, it’ll show the exact error which is button problem.
Old 24th January 2020, 15:25   #6801
BHPian

It is the keyless push button start switch problem which has been rightly diagnosed. I had given them a go ahead earlier only to replace but since the car is used locally and the service centre is close by I was advised to run it till the time it doesn't go kaput.

I am worried more about the rest of the issues especially the engine warning light issue since that's practically now stranded the car. I'll be sending it next week now to get diagnosed and repaired. Will be getting all the things replaced now.
Old 10th February 2020, 15:18   #6802
BHPian

So i got my car towed to the service centre. Luckily i had opted for RSA and Anytime warranty over the previous service. Surprisingly the SA did not have any clear reason for the engine light and dismissed it as a weak battery issue and vaguely mentioned to me that they also tightened the tensioner. I asked him what has a battery got to do with engine malfunction light to which he replied that these electronic sensors malfunction sometimes due to weak voltage from the battery and he had no clear explanation for loss of power. I haven't faced any issue on driving though so am letting it be at the moment.

Apart from that there were several remarks made during the previous service relating to the keyless sensor switch, headlight combination switch and blower motor noise. They changed the keyless sensor switch, placed an order for blower motor and told me there was no issue with the headlight combination switch! I asked them why was the remark made in the first place then, had i not got warranty wouldn't you have pestered me to get it replaced? Now replace the same else i will mail Honda the issue to which he got the switch rechecked and removed the remark from the service history. I somehow don't believe him though but will definitely check when the car goes for the blower motor replacement if he's been true about placing the order in the first place.
Old 14th February 2020, 16:31   #6803
BHPian

Hey All,

I am not sure if anyone else faced this strange issue with Honda City 2014 stock horns, they some times go really low as though my battery is weak and then on the next press back to normal. Strangely I checked everything the wiring, replaced car battery as it was 5 years old, and also got them re-tuned in the last service, the issue inst resolved and at time really getting on to my nervous when I have to honk a big trunk on Sarjapur Road . Now I have decided to replace them with Hella Trumpet Silver ones, can someone let me know where can I get horn couplers which will not require me to splice wires? Also, if anyone knows good Accessories stores reliable and have nice choice in Bangalore for Android systems.
Old 14th February 2020, 19:37   #6804
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster2 View Post
Now I have decided to replace them with Hella Trumpet Silver ones, can someone let me know where can I get horn couplers which will not require me to splice wires ?
Those adapters will have to be bought from aliexpress; search for Honda horn adapter/plug/socket. Be aware that you are not getting any branded stuff so the quality is a big question mark and they are not sold cheap (usually >500 rupees for a pair). Apart from this, there are some things you will have to look into even if you are buying the adapters.

• The OEM horn has only one terminal on the side and the metal bracket holding the horn acts as the ground. The aftermarket horn that you have bought will most probably have two terminals on the side (one of them will be for the ground). The OEM wire harness only provides one wire for current to each horn which the adapter will fit on but you will still need to make another wire that will connect the other terminal of the aftermarket horn to the vehicle's ground. In short, it's not going to be plug and play.
  • The aftermarket trumpet horns will draw more current than the stock disc horns. Open the fuse boxes and check the fuse/relay capacity to see if they are capable of taking that extra load. Same goes for the wires. The current draw of horns in ampere or watts can be found on their website most of the times.
You are doing an electrical modification so take a lot of precaution and then go ahead. The most common practice to install aftermarket horns is to go for a seperate relay/wire harness that is not dependant on the stock wiring. Try asking in the 'power horns thread' where the experts will guide you better on this.

Last edited by OSH : 14th February 2020 at 19:38.
Old 14th February 2020, 22:00   #6805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey All,

I am not sure if anyone else faced this strange issue with Honda City 2014 stock horns, they some times go really low as though my battery is weak and then on the next press back to normal.
Honda horns have traditionally been an Achilles heel, especially in the City and also the Brio. Best option will be to replace the horns with better quality and stronger ones. I am unhappy with the horn on my City as well, its pretty weak and not effective in dispersing any traffic - not even any birds or dogs on the road

Do let us know if you manage to install a good one without splicing any wires, it will be helpful for all of us City users, and also the installer who manages to do a good clean job of the install.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 14th February 2020 at 22:02.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 22:06   #6806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Honda horns have traditionally been an Achilles heel, especially in the City and also the Brio. Best option will be to replace the horns with better quality and stronger ones. I am unhappy with the horn on my City as well, its pretty weak and not effective in dispersing any traffic - not even any birds or dogs on the road

Do let us know if you manage to install a good one without splicing any wires, it will be helpful for all of us City users, and also the installer who manages to do a good clean job of the install.
I asked for a change of horn in my City at service, ASR said that he'd tune the OEM horn and not change it as it would void my warranty conditions??!! He said wait for the warranty to get over and then change. I agree with you, horn is pretty meek and doesn't get anyone's attention.
Old 14th February 2020, 22:09   #6807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I asked for a change of horn in my City at service, ASR said that he'd tune the OEM horn and not change it as it would void my warranty conditions??!! He said wait for the warranty to get over and then change. I agree with you, horn is pretty meek and doesn't get anyone's attention.
Thats surprising. Why would it void warranty if you got it changed for a better horn at the Honda ASC itself? I would understand that warranty would be voided only if electronics are changed outside of the ASC paradigm, but why would changing the horn through authorised channels be an issue? Doesn't seem logical.
Old 18th February 2020, 20:26   #6808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Don't think there is any issue with warranty if you replace stock horns with better ones (I had installed Roots horns if I recall correctly, generally found on VW cars). It is just plug and play without splicing any wires. I did it first thing on my Honda city when I bought it in 2016 and no one ever asked any question during services. I also had got it confirmed from SA and everything was fine.
yogesh.8984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 21:24   #6809
BHPian

In my personal experience, Honda Service Centres do not check things properly.

I had got Hella Red Grills installed and Osram LEDs in the fog lamp. After about 8 months, the horn and LED were both weak. The horn felt as if under stress, and the fog lights were not illuminating properly.

I asked them to check and they said the horn isn't working properly because it needed relays, and the blasters in my LEDs have gone kaput.

I however didn't believe them and took it to my FNG who after spending some time on it, changed the relay and it started working fine.

On an other instance, after an accidental repair my HID bulb wasn't working. Same story, blasters are bad. Got new Philips LEDs. Even one of them wasn't working. Replaced the fuse, working perfectly. Lost a ton of money there for a 5Rs fix.

These guys don't even check basic stuff like fuses and relays. Any thing goes bad, and they are like this happened that happened or replace.

Please check your fuses and relays or wiring before trusting your SA.
city2491 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 21:44   #6810
BHPian

Quote:
Hey All,

I am not sure if anyone else faced this strange issue with Honda City 2014 stock horns, they some times go really low as though my battery is weak and then on the next press back to normal. Strangely I checked everything the wiring, replaced car battery as it was 5 years old, and also got them re-tuned in the last service, the issue inst resolved and at time really getting on to my nervous when I have to honk a big trunk on Sarjapur Road . Now I have decided to replace them with Hella Trumpet Silver ones, can someone let me know where can I get horn couplers which will not require me to splice wires?.
The City's horn are sure meek and puny sounding! One drive through the rains, my horn went out completely until it dried out. Switched to trumpet types, had issue of water getting into the horns. Over the past three years of driving her, I'm on my fourth set. Had my fuse blown too one time. Went to a local garage and he suggested fitting the horn on the front upper bulkhead, deep and safe from the rains! Now my horn is finally holding good so far.

Most Viewed