Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 23:18   #466
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

The full body kit shown in that video is Rs. 90,000, which includes, body kit (side, front, rear skirts), spoiler, rain visors, aluminium sports pedals, twin chrome grille.

Twin chrome grille is Rs. 14,000.
Pedals are Rs. 3500.
Rear boot lid spoiler is Rs. 8500 (with body color paint, to be done at dealership).

I did couple of test drives.
Engine does not feel very refined when pushed (when compared to Vento or Verna), it gives a feel of a 3-pot engine. At idle engine noise is very less.
Vibrations in the pedal and overall are less felt in city when compared to Vento.
There is a shudder when you start or turn off the engine.
Clutch travel is short and feel is light. Gearshift is more precise than vento.
Music system is disappointing, screen is too small and feels like an afterthought.

Plastic quality and door thud has improved than the previous city. Its more towards Toyota now, still nowhere close the VW.

Still confused between the Vento trendline and City VX!!!
SumitBahl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 23:28   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvb View Post
Also in the diesel variant I had some difficulty slotting the 5th and 6th gear. I always ended putting reverse.
True. 6th and Reverse both are in the same plane, that is down. Unfortunately Reverse , which is next to the 6th, does not have a safety lock - so theoretically, there's a chance that driver's attempting to seek 6th, but finding the Reverse gate - because they had pulled the stick closer to the driver's seat and then attempted to shift down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Still confused between the Vento trendline and City VX!!!
You need not be. If you are looking at Diesel then the VENTO / RAPID twins should be your choice. As you would have experienced, the Vento / Rapid diesels are more torquier and most importantly has a wider power band for you to play with.

Suspension maturity in the German / Czech twins is better than the City - which, i found feels kind of jiggly at low to medium speeds.

Build quality, shut-lines, gap & flush, panel fit of the German is head & shoulders above the Jap.
Also remember in the Vento you get a 6year anti corrosion, which i doubt Honda will offer you.

As far as fuel economy is concerned, almost all of these sedans are around the 1.1-1.2 ton mark, each having roughly 100ps at their disposal. So a real world figure between 14-15kmpl should be achievable by both without much stress.

If you are looking for Petrol, then the Honda rules.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th January 2014 at 10:25. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 9th January 2014, 00:23   #468
BHPian

Booking VMT Petrol tomorrow morning, feeling very excited :-)!

We have shortlisted two colors to choose from (White and Golden Brown Metallic), we loved both the colors and confused over choosing one among them.

TBHPians, any recommendations?
Old 9th January 2014, 08:01   #469
Senior - BHPian

Great pricing! And good on Honda to include ABS/EBD and driver side airbag across variants. Hope this price hold steady for a while and Honda brings some good numbers of the E & S variant to the dealers.
Old 9th January 2014, 08:45   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feroz_009 View Post
Booking VMT Petrol tomorrow morning, feeling very excited :-)!

We have shortlisted two colors to choose from (White and Golden Brown Metallic), we loved both the colors and confused over choosing one among them.

TBHPians, any recommendations?
Congrats on the purchase.
As the review said dark colors will conceal design highlights. If you are not a fan of creased lines along the side, go for brown metallic otherwise white.
Moreover white ones are generally delivered early.
skyfire2892 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 08:46   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feroz_009 View Post
Booking VMT Petrol tomorrow morning, feeling very excited :-)! We have shortlisted two colors to choose from (White and Golden Brown Metallic), we loved both the colors and confused over choosing one among them. TBHPians, any recommendations?
Metallic colours are preferred to me. White looks regal, but without proper maintenance it can go blunt in 18 months i feel.

Personally i have a carmelian red pearl and i love it to the core. I spend in regular polishing. Planning to put a 3M canopy on the top

On a separate note, wonderful pricing by honda. Foresee a change in sales charts?
Old 9th January 2014, 09:06   #472
BHPian

[quote=arjab;3339303]Had a close look at the 4th Gen Honda City, at a Chennai dealership.

8) Spare wheel (non-alloy) sits in the spare wheel well, face-down. This means that every time one wishes to get the air pressure checked of the spare wheel, one has to take it out, face it the right side up and check the pressure, as the valve tube is effectively facing down, facing the boot floor.

This is terrible news. I was hoping against hope that they would rectify this defect. How much will Honda save on a larger screw? Absolutely ridiculous to what lengths manufacturers go to provide discomfort for the owner.
Old 9th January 2014, 10:14   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2892 View Post
Congrats on the purchase.
As the review said dark colors will conceal design highlights. If you are not a fan of creased lines along the side, go for brown metallic otherwise white.
Moreover white ones are generally delivered early.
Thanks, skyfire! At present, I have a Panther Black Fiesta 1.6 and I feel it very difficult to maintain the same. That's the reason I thought I will not go for darker shades and will pick white, the car looks very classy and elegant in white. But after looking at Golden Brown Metallic, I have changed my mind. I am confused again
Old 9th January 2014, 11:08   #474
BHPian

While I feel that the prices for Petrol variants are very competitive, and will give sleepless nights to Honda's competitors, I think buyers will be curious to see what 'extra' they are getting for the Diesel variants - when compared to Amaze.

Amaze and City (Diesel variants) have engine with almost the same specifications. On top of that, City will definitely be on heavier side, thus acceleration will be lower (unless Honda has managed the gearing ratios very well).

The question that comes to my mind is - what am I getting 'extra' for additional 2 - 2.5 lakh rupees (difference in ex-show room prices* - see below).

Amaze 1.5 S MT (i-DTEC) Diesel : Rs. 706,767
Amaze 1.5 VX MT (i-DTEC) Diesel : Rs. 796,892

All new Honda City SMT Diesel : Rs. 941,829
All new Honda City SVMT Diesel : Rs. 984,640
All new Honda City VMT Diesel : Rs. 1,035,604

*Prices are Pune Ex-Showroom and taken from Honda website.
Old 9th January 2014, 11:13   #475

We are interested in new Honda City petrol VX variant as it fulfills the safety requirement of ours. When I called up Dakshin Honda, Bangalore, the sales person said they are yet to receive the test drive vehicle. Does anyone know if test drive vehicle is available in any of the Honda showrooms in Bangalore?
Old 9th January 2014, 11:14   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I test-drove the City Diesel VX today. I am 6'2" and found the driving position accurate. However, the dashboard is set high so one cannot see the nose of the car properly. However, maneuvering the City in town was easy and there was almost zero turbo-lag which made it great in urban conditions.

Space is good inside the cabin and the rear seats are pretty comfortable as well. I did cross a few speedbreakers and couple of them were pretty huge so with a proper angular approach to the breakers the City managed to cross it without scrapping the underbody.

There is certainly some amount of noise from the diesel engine and it goes up as one revs up. The controls are easy to use. Loved the touch screen AC controls and the rear view camera is pretty much useful.

Overall, from the short test drive I was impressed with the City Diesel. The only fly in the ointment was the NVH levels.
This is good news for me as I am 6'3". But would you guys recommend in buying Honda City (4th generation) as the first car ever buying bought by a guy. I am planning to buy my first car in the next 6-8 Months.
Old 9th January 2014, 11:18   #477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post
While I feel that the prices for Petrol variants are very competitive, and will give sleepless nights to Honda's competitors, I think buyers will be curious to see what 'extra' they are getting for the Diesel variants - when compared to Amaze.

Amaze and City (Diesel variants) have engine with almost the same specifications. On top of that, City will definitely be on heavier side, thus acceleration will be lower (unless Honda has managed the gearing ratios very well).

The question that comes to my mind is - what am I getting 'extra' for additional 2 - 2.5 lakh rupees (difference in ex-show room prices* - see below).

Amaze 1.5 S MT (i-DTEC) Diesel : Rs. 706,767
Amaze 1.5 VX MT (i-DTEC) Diesel : Rs. 796,892

All new Honda City SMT Diesel : Rs. 941,829
All new Honda City SVMT Diesel : Rs. 984,640
All new Honda City VMT Diesel : Rs. 1,035,604

*Prices are Pune Ex-Showroom and taken from Honda website.
Additional stuff in City:

1. Better NVH
2. 6th gear for better highway cruising and better FE
3. Far more features. amaze feels spartan
4. Much much bigger boot space 400 vs 510L
5. Lots more legroom and seat width for 3 at the back
6. Much better build quality. Just sit in an Amaze and close/open the doors vs a City. The Amaze feels like a tin can. City is also not great but much better than Amaze.

2.5 lakhs for all that is worth it IMO. Both are well positioned.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 12:27   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand89 View Post
We are interested in new Honda City petrol VX variant as it fulfills the safety requirement of ours. When I called up Dakshin Honda, Bangalore, the sales person said they are yet to receive the test drive vehicle. Does anyone know if test drive vehicle is available in any of the Honda showrooms in Bangalore?
Same here. I spoke to Whitefield Honda. These only have diesel vehicles for test drive. The SA tells me that not only deliveries, but even test drives for petrol vehicles are not available before Feb/March. I'm surprised. I know the engine is nearly the same, but Honda actually expects people to book petrols without a TD?!

No offence meant, but I'm kinda exasperated with this diesel demand and push, even though it may be for the right reasons. If one asks for a Vento TSI TD, the SAs say the TDI is a better vehicle, and one 'should' TD that instead of TSI!
Tats07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 13:06   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post

This month's AutoCar India mag, in it's review of the 2014 City, claims that the diesel City is faster than the Vento and the Amaze in the 20-80 acceleration run. That matters while city driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
This is good news for me as I am 6'3". But would you guys recommend in buying Honda City (4th generation) as the first car ever buying bought by a guy. I am planning to buy my first car in the next 6-8 Months.
I've heard people say you can't go wrong with a Honda. I've personally witnessed closely ownership of 2 Honda City cars (3rd generation) without any ownership trouble whatsoever. Definitely a good car to consider (hoping nothing new in the 4th gen car goes terribly wrong). Honda is also known to be very reliable. Maybe a safe bet. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
No offence meant, but I'm kinda exasperated with this diesel demand and push, even though it may be for the right reasons. If one asks for a Vento TSI TD, the SAs say the TDI is a better vehicle, and one 'should' TD that instead of TSI!
Higher margins and all that coming into play I suppose. Obviously no regular dealership is interested in selling us what we want or is the best. Keen to check a petrol city too but....

Last edited by k_ajay : 9th January 2014 at 13:10. Reason: Adding a response to Tats07's post.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 13:08   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post

I went over the smaller speed breakers head on and there was no scrapping of the under body. The bigger speed breakers were approached in an angular fashion as I wasn't too confident if the City will be able to go past it without scraping its belly, if taken head on.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see much point in checking if the car clears the speed breakers at an angle. Can you ever do this without hearing a loud objection from the motorist just behind you? Also, the toll plazas, at least here in Mumbai and on the way to Pune, have multiple speed breakers and their lanes are just wide enough for a car. There's no way we can hit the breakers at an angle in actual fact. Further, I think there are less odds of the lower suspension mountings hitting the breaker if you tackle it head on, since they will ride up along with both wheels as one unit.

Most Viewed