Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2014, 15:42   #511

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Hi,
Had been to Dakshin Honda, Lavelle road for TDing the new City. We were interested in petrol but since petrol vehicle was not available for TD, I ended up driving diesel vehicle. The interior is certainly a step up. When I asked SA about probable delivery of petrol City he showed me a message which said ' the first batch of petrol City will be dispatched in March 2014'. So petrol City lovers will have to wait till March or April for their car.
Old 11th January 2014, 15:45   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
When he said next fiscal year / financial year he meant Apr'14 to Mar'15. In fact in the presentation, Honda India President - Hironori Kanayama mentioned that in the next financial year Honda will launch 2 new models in new segments.
(OFF-TOPIC)

Yes, mate. Fiscal = Financial, which is April to March. I am in the government sector and we have our yearly closing in March every year, so fiscal is a more than familiar term.

And the two new models in two separate segments are:-

The Mobilio MPV in June-July, 2014,

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_1907.jpg

and, the all-new Jazz/Fit sometime in November-December, 2014.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-jazz.jpg

Pics courtesy Team-BHPian theMag's wonderful Honda Japan visit thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...otor-show.html

Last edited by RavenAvi : 11th January 2014 at 15:48.
Old 11th January 2014, 16:02   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpshah68 View Post
Called up Arya Honda and Apex Honda here in Mumbai. Currently they do not have any petrol & CVT test drive vehicles available. They will be available only in the first week of february. Anyone can shed any more light on this?. Whether this is true?.
Went to Magnum Honda in Bangalore today, the nice guy there said that the "launch" of petrol variant will be in early February with optimistic first delivery dates being mid of March. That means the TD vehicle will be available by Valentine's Day.

Booking amount was 51K for both Diesel and Petrol, the SA suggested that it is prudent to make the booking now because they are offering full refund in case we find the vehicle not to our liking.

PS: My first post!
Old 11th January 2014, 16:14   #514
BHPian

Mods please delete if already posted. Just saw the new city in SV variant and attaching a few pics of the wheel cap design and 3 inch screen on it.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image2259493147.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image919649618.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image3690164248.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image1616027998.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image2719091080.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image3672465161.jpg
vvb8530 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 17:03   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Mods please delete if already posted. Just saw the new city in SV variant and attaching a few pics of the wheel cap design and 3 inch screen on it.
The wheels caps look far better than the hideous alloy wheel design.

The piano black is prone to sratches will look old in a very short span. It is evident from the pics that are posted.

Could you please post a picture of the entire dashboard of SV ?
Old 11th January 2014, 17:28   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
The wheels caps look far better than the hideous alloy wheel design. The piano black is prone to sratches will look old in a very short span. It is evident from the pics that are posted. Could you please post a picture of the entire dashboard of SV ?
There you go.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image1068948605.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image3811117403.jpg
vvb8530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 17:35   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
There you go.
Can you post the interior pictures of E variant too; as it seems to be very different from all other variants!
Old 11th January 2014, 18:38   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddriver View Post
Can you post the interior pictures of E variant too; as it seems to be very different from all other variants!
Sorry buddy I am not at the Honda plant but just at the dealership.

Just kidding only SV and VX variant have arrived till now.

Cheers,
VVB

Last edited by vvb8530 : 11th January 2014 at 18:40.
Old 11th January 2014, 20:27   #519
BHPian

I just had a look at the New City and I must say that the Chrome Grille doesn't look all that bad when viewed directly. The photos/videos make it look too "in your face" and it definitely isn't that bad to look at. I agree, a twin split grille would look better.

There is tons of space on the inside. It's unbelievably roomy and bright on the inside. Seats are super comfy and relaxing. The dashboard looks nice, though the AC vents and their uneven positioning takes a little getting used to. The bump on the rear seat middle is not too uncomfortable to sit on, though a flat seat would have been better. When I sat on the bump, my head almost touched the roof of the car. I'm 5'10. One missed hump on the road through oversight.. and the person in the middle would be rubbing his/her head nicely.

Other things I saw was that the door panels on the inside aren't as good as the outgoing model. The doors on the SV seemed a little lighter compared to those on the VX. I dont know if this is my personal observation or if it is a fact.

The alloys look ordinary while still, but look like tiny turbine blades while the car is moving...so I dont have any complaints there.

One more point - There are no iVtec variants yet in the showrooms - or for test drives. they have only the diesel option as of now and will get the Petrol ones during the first week of February. This was why I didn't take a test drive of the car.

Overall impressions are good. Only after driving the vehicle, will one get the complete picture. However, the pricing is really good and the V-MT model makes good VFM & sense. If only they had priced the VX-MT below the 10L mark in BLR - the 8K extra makes the On Road Price unrealistically expensive in BLR.

All-in-all, a Honda .. a good one at that. (There are always hidden voices in your head/corner of your mind that keep saying.. No Problem.. It's a Honda!)
vsathyap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 20:30   #520

Got a chance to check out the new Honda City and Vento today.

Confused b/w New Honda City SV variant and VW Vento Highline Diesel, after discount of (67k) on vento OTR bangalore is almost the same.

Loved the fit, finish, drive, handling of Vento did not get chance to drive drive city, no TD vehicle at Whitefield honda.

Vento owners your inputs on service and comparision views welcome please.

Thankyou.
Old 12th January 2014, 06:50   #521
BHPian

Went on a mini TD yesterday.The showroom was pouring with people and there was literally a line for the TD.Hence I had to oblige my SA after a promise that he would definitely give me a long and satisfactory drive sometime on weekdays.
Engine noise is better compared to the Amaze but existent , and the clutch felt smooth as mentioned by //M earlier.The touch screen AC was easy to use & the display of the functions was pretty big , even my Father (61) was easily able to read things without his glasses on.
The gears could have been smoother, although we were 5 pax in the car I did not get a chance to check some speed breakers which I was definitely unhappy about. Will try again sometime this week and will update my experience.
The distinct punch from my old Verna (07) after 2000rpm was sorely missing , but I was ok to live without it.
Unfortunately I did not get sufficient time to spend with the car (infact not allowed to) hence Iam unable to share a good extensive feedback on my TD.

I felt the SV to be more VFM and here is the price breakup.

Ex Showroom : 9,89,500
Life Tax@12%: 1,18,990
Insurance : 29,398 (Honda Assure)
Extended W : 11,800 (3&4th Year-80K Km) Standard W : 2 Years 40k KM
Roadside Assistance : 4,600 (for 4 years)
Logistic Charges : 8000
Total : 11,62,288

As I mentioned in my previous posts,I have restricted my budget so here is something Iam planning to do.
Out of these I don't see the need to buy extended warranty right away as this can be opted for anytime in the first 2 years (Minus 11,800).
Same is the case with roadside assistance (Minus 4,600).
I Think I can definitely fight with the dealer on handling charges 8k is very very high lets say i get 50% waiver on this (Minus 4000).
Insurance I have decided to fight on this aspect as well as I have a no claim bonus with Bajaj and Iam sure I can get it for less than 20K so (Minus 9000).
So that brings the total to around Rs 11,32,888 (approx).

This will further go down if they agree for 0 handling charges and If the insurance goes down by a couple of more thousands.

I was prepared for 11L from the start , looks like I have to take a small step to move closer to the car and thankfully it would not hurt me badly.

I had a chance to check the golden brown metallic and I liked it.So the color would be either urban titanium or golden brown metallic.I infact liked the red as well however got a thumbs down from the big man of the house hence for sure not red.

The car is readily available and I was promised a delivery immediately In-fact I saw a golden brown metallic with the ribbon in the delivery bay ready to take off and waiting for some final formalities.
In my case I clearly told the SA that I will only take the car in March as all my finances would be arranged only by end of Feb.

Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 07:54   #522
BHPian

Many have felt here that the New Honda City is a VFM proposition. I did comparison of features on Skoda Rapid and Honda City 2014 (I have paid an advance of 51 K for the Diesel version) and I feel it isn't so, at least in Bangalore. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. SV variant diesel costs 12,08,223/- on road against 12,13,870/- for Skoda Rapid 1.6L TDI Elegance (The dealer was willing to give some discount on this even for cars manufactured this year)

2. Additional features you get on Rapid are -

Alloy wheels, projector head lamps, height adjustable seat belts, front and rear fog lamps, Multifunction and foldable (its beautiful!) key (you can even open the boot and lower the window with this one), Leather covered steering wheel and gear knob, All 4 anti-pinch and auto updown windows, supposedly stronger build quality (GTOs review on Honda City) and last but not the least more powerful and fun to drive engine.

3. From what I understand, the Pros for Honda are

Formidable pedigree, more fuel efficient, Hassle free Honda after sales, Roomier cabin, awesome colors (I love the Golden Brown Metallic), no tall hump in the middle at rear (so can seat 5 in relative comfort ). I am not sure if there is anything else.

4. The cons for Rapid are - Doubtful After sales (they claim they have improved), expensive spares (I don't know about Honda spares), and slightly less roomy cabin.

I took a test drive of Honda yesterday. It was a very very short one as there was huge queue waiting for the same with tokens. In what ever little distance that I drove, I wasn't too impressed with the driving comfort and pleasure. I drive a Vista 1.3 Quadrajet and I didn't find Honda in any way better than my car as for as driveability is concerned. But then, I am no expert.

I feel Honda is charging quite a bit of premium for their product which is probably well deserved. But, it definitely doesn't look value for money in any which ever way I see.

Please advice me. Should it be Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI Elegance or Honda city 2014 iDtec SV variant?
aniyahr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 09:16   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyahr View Post
Many have felt here that the New Honda City is a VFM proposition. I did comparison of features on Skoda Rapid and Honda City 2014 (I have paid an advance of 51 K for the Diesel version) and I feel it isn't so, at least in Bangalore. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. SV variant diesel costs 12,08,223/- on road against 12,13,870/- for Skoda Rapid 1.6L TDI Elegance (The dealer was willing to give some discount on this even for cars manufactured this year)

Alloy wheels, projector head lamps, height adjustable seat belts, front and rear fog lamps, Multifunction and foldable (its beautiful!) key (you can even open the boot and lower the window with this one), Leather covered steering wheel and gear knob, All 4 anti-pinch and auto updown windows, supposedly stronger build quality (GTOs review on Honda City) and last but not the least more powerful and fun to drive engine.

3. From what I understand, the Pros for Honda are

Formidable pedigree, more fuel efficient, Hassle free Honda after sales, Roomier cabin, awesome colors (I love the Golden Brown Metallic), no tall hump in the middle at rear (so can seat 5 in relative comfort ). I am not sure if there is anything else.

4. The cons for Rapid are - Doubtful After sales (they claim they have improved), expensive spares (I don't know about Honda spares), and slightly less roomy cabin.

I feel Honda is charging quite a bit of premium for their product which is probably well deserved. But, it definitely doesn't look value for money in any which ever way I see.
In the past, typically Honda has been providing lesser features and still charging a premium over competition saying 'it's a Honda'. With this iteration they are providing comparable equipment list and have priced it close to competition at least till the V variant. So that is being interpreted as ' Value for money' which I also don't think it is. It is in line with competition and that makes it a good option.

Also if you specifically look at the vx. It is much more expensive than the top variants of competition including the verna sxo which is probably the closest competition based on feature list.
Old 12th January 2014, 09:25   #524
BHPian

A small question guys.

Going to see the car today and wish to book if it looks good. Now I am planning for the petrol as running won't be high. If I pay the booking and do not like the drive or the engine when it launches in February. Any cancellation on my booking, will it incur any penalties.?

Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 09:34   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyahr View Post

In what ever little distance that I drove, I wasn't too impressed with the driving comfort and pleasure. I drive a Vista 1.3 Quadrajet and I didn't find Honda in any way better than my car as for as driveability is concerned. But then, I am no expert.

Please advice me. Should it be Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI Elegance or Honda city 2014 iDtec SV variant?
Opt for Skoda Shield.
Vinayak Skoda is very good as per the feedback on the forum from Shankar Balan and Santoshbhat.
If you like driving you will enjoy the punchy 1.6 TDi.
If you want to play safe, there is no looking beyond CITY iDTec
F150 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed