Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2014, 16:46   #1111
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@feroz_009- Those alloys looks wicked. Why couldn't Honda give them as a standard fitment?
Do post a pic when your rear spoiler gets installed and how much it costed you?
Its 10k including painting, the sales guy quoted 12.5 k for the same but I negotiated.

I have upgraded the tyres today to 195/60/R15 Michelin Primacy 3ST. There is a significant improvement in ride quality after the upgrade. I had to pay additional 2k per tyre.
Old 7th March 2014, 17:24   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
If Honda is not giving paddle shifters in any CVT variant and if there is no mention of same as well, I agree that Honda is not at a fault. In marketing material, Honda has clearly highlighted the presence of paddle shifters. Now if they are not going to give the same in a particular CVT variant, it is their duty to highlight the same in the variants comparison page. I'm not sure if you have looked at the official brochure where they have gone to minute details for any difference present across variants and so hiding this omission in SV CVT variant in my opinion is cheating. I'm sure that each and every customer would get a shock when they receive SV CVT model and if they have not been made aware of this. Lot of times, the TD vehicles are top end so you will not be able to make out there as well and rely on the brochures to get an idea of what you are getting into.

Whether a deal breaker or not, will depend from person to person, something I agree. The rubber band effect in CVT transmissions is always there and if you read the reviews, they clearly mention that though Honda has done a good job in reducing rubber band effect, the paddle shifters are a boon in getting around that problem. The best part is, most of SA are not even aware of this omission in SV CVT.
I had been to a local Honda Showroom and picked up the latest brochure of the Honda City. The paddle shift picture is shown on the general pictures page. However, when I tried to scan thru' the feature set under the "Comfort & Convenience" section, there was no line item for paddle shift. I agree, this would lead to customers believing that both the CVT variants have paddle shift by default as there is no line item specifically calling out otherwise.
Old 7th March 2014, 17:37   #1113
BHPian

I have noticed a problem with the music system today morning on my way to office. When I play music through USB source (4GB pen drive), the system disconnects frequently. I called up the Honda sales guy to share the issue and he informs me that we need to use a 2GB pen drive, since 4 GB is not supported

Will test the same using a 2gb pen drive tomorrow. If the problem persists, then the sales guys are going to have a tough time

TBHPians any insights on this issue is highly appreciated!
Old 7th March 2014, 17:58   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feroz_009 View Post
I have noticed a problem with the music system today morning on my way to office. When I play music through USB source (4GB pen drive), the system disconnects frequently. I called up the Honda sales guy to share the issue and he informs me that we need to use a 2GB pen drive, since 4 GB is not supported

Will test the same using a 2gb pen drive tomorrow. If the problem persists, then the sales guys are going to have a tough time

No way-I have a 64GB USB 3.0 rated flash drive which I am using and it works like a charm! The sales guy is giving you stories...
Old 7th March 2014, 18:07   #1115
BHPian

Quote:

The problem is with pen drive I assume. Is it old?
I had a 2gb old pen drive and it caused disconnection in both City (2009) and Amaze. Try a different drive. If problem persists call SA. It has nothing to do with memory.
skyfire2892 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 18:11   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2892 View Post
The problem is with pen drive I assume. Is it old?
I had a 2gb old pen drive and it caused disconnection in both City (2009) and Amaze. Try a different drive. If problem persists call SA. It has nothing to do with memory.
+1
Yes that's very much possible - make sure you check with additional drives. Also the drives need to be formatted as FAT/FAT32 Filesystem (NTFS wont work)...
Old 7th March 2014, 18:17   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
+1
Yes that's very much possible - make sure you check with additional drives. Also the drives need to be formatted as FAT/FAT32 Filesystem (NTFS wont work)...
+1
I use a 32GB pen drive and it also works like a charm (Not a single disconnection till date while in use)
Old 7th March 2014, 18:21   #1118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
No way-I have a 64GB USB 3.0 rated flash drive which I am using and it works like a charm! The sales guy is giving you stories...
Sorry Guys! I think, the problem was with my pen drive. Tried with a different drive (8 GB) and it works fine!
feroz_009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 18:41   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Its 10k including painting, the sales guy quoted 12.5 k for the same but I negotiated.

I have upgraded the tyres today to 195/60/R15 Michelin Primacy 3ST. There is a significant improvement in ride quality after the upgrade. I had to pay additional 2k per tyre.
Is the spoiler part of official Honda accessory? I thought it'll come from the manufacturing plant for various colors as is and the dealer would just have to install it. Didn't know that they need to be painted to match color of the car.

Also, was 12.5K listed in the official accessory list from dealer? The reason I'm asking is that the list I have, it quotes 9.5K including labour/fitting charges.

For tyres, I believe you got a very good deal. The Primacy 3ST tyres cost around 6K in Bangalore, but I believe you managed to get it for 5.5K considering the buy back value of 3.5K you mentioned earlier for your XM1
Old 7th March 2014, 19:09   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the spoiler part of official Honda accessory? I thought it'll come from the manufacturing plant for various colors as is and the dealer would just have to install it. Didn't know that they need to be painted to match color of the car.

Also, was 12.5K listed in the official accessory list from dealer? The reason I'm asking is that the list I have, it quotes 9.5K including labour/fitting charges.
As per my knowledge Honda sources spoiler from a third party. That's why they need to paint it separately. This was told to me by the guy who was looking after the accessories at the dealer.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 19:37   #1121
BHPian

Quote:

For tyres, I believe you got a very good deal. The Primacy 3ST tyres cost around 6K in Bangalore, but I believe you managed to get it for 5.5K considering the buy back value of 3.5K you mentioned earlier for your XM1
In the price list its quoted - 10350/-, with painting and fitment they were quoting 12,500/-.
Primacy 3ST in Hyderabad is around 6250/- and the discounted price is around 5900/-
Old 7th March 2014, 19:44   #1122
Distinguished - BHPian

Called up my dealer in the morning and offered them flexible choices - I was ready to shift my booking to Petrol, and gave them 3 color choices (Silver, White and UT), and didn't mind if I got either the V or the VX trim. Prices quoted were:

(all in OTR, for metallic shades)

V MT i-VTEC - 10.17L,
VX MT i-VTEC - 11.24L,
V MT i-DTEC - 11.50L, (my booking)
VX MT i-DTEC - 12.61L.

Quite honestly, my Pegasus has made me a fan of the i-VTEC. I don't care whether it's diesel or petrol anymore, as long as I get my car by March-end itself.

Dealer said the next supply lot will be reaching in March 3rd week. The manifest for the same will be with them on Monday. He is expecting a petrol-heavy lot again, and will update me accordingly.
Old 7th March 2014, 20:11   #1123
BHPian

My SA called me today and told me that my allocation (SV CVT) is shifted to April-May (booking date 2nd Dec). And she confirmed that SV CVT is without paddle shifts :-(. I will go to showroom to get more details.
Old 7th March 2014, 20:28   #1124
Distinguished - BHPian

Absence of Paddle Shifts in the SV Variant is a huge deal breaker in my opinion. Looking at the relevant extract from GTO's review on page 1, the understanding I got was that the paddle shifters will play a very important role in highway drivability.

"It's only when you suddenly poke the accelerator expecting instant grunt (say, to overtake the car in front) that the rubber-band effect raises its ugly head. Floor the accelerator abruptly and all you see is a rise in engine rpm, with no corresponding increase in speed. In such a situation, the car will be slow to respond. Even dropping a gear via the paddle shift does nothing. With a CVT, it's important to 'prepare' the car in advance for a quick overtaking manouveur. I found out that the best way to overtake is to move the gear lever to 'S' mode and make use of the paddle shifts. S mode basically makes the engine & transmission work harder, going till the redline before the CVT gets a higher ratio. With the S mode and paddle shifters, you can also extract a good amount of engine braking from the gearbox."

Although the Brio and Amaze AT did not have paddle shifters, they at least had a D3, D2, D1 mode which could be used for quickly dropping gears to some extent. The City does not have that also, which means the driver has absolutely no control apart from the S mode.

Wonder if they bench-marked only against the Sunny/Scala CVT, which also do not have any manual mode.

I would recommend folks who have booked the SV CVT to do a through test drive before committing to the purchase.
Old 8th March 2014, 00:04   #1125
BHPian

When I looked at the SV CVT today morning, I happened to notice that gearshifts had "L" mode in addition to "S" mode. I don't remember seeing a "L" mode in any of the pictures I had seen earlier.

I wonder if something changed between initial test drive vehicles and vehicles being delivered to customers.

Last edited by i_m_anaconda : 8th March 2014 at 00:17.

Most Viewed