Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2014, 06:34   #1126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_anaconda View Post
When I looked at the SV CVT today morning, I happened to notice that gearshifts had "L" mode in addition to "S" mode. I don't remember seeing a "L" mode in any of the pictures I had seen earlier.

I wonder if something changed between initial test drive vehicles and vehicles being delivered to customers.

That is interesting. I am somehow still not able to digest the fact that Honda chose to keep customers in dark for this. Can you post a picture of gearbox if possible? In my opinion, having a manual mode really helps when you want to steer your car through steep hilly areas or through roads filled with water so you can downshift and drive and maintain certain rpm.
Old 8th March 2014, 19:27   #1127
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Absence of Paddle Shifts in the SV Variant is a huge deal breaker in my opinion.

I would recommend folks who have booked the SV CVT to do a through test drive before committing to the purchase.
Yesterday when I came to know from this thread that SVT does not have paddleshift, I was shocked. Thanks @i_m_anaconda for this very valuable news.

Contacted SA and she confirmed the bad news after enquiring with someone. I am very angry with Honda. I was waiting for three months for this car. For an automatic variant, I compromised on many good to have features. (alloy wheels, 3 1/2'' monochrome display in place of 5" display, parking sensors etc etc) I wanted "V variant" but Honda was not providing the same in automatic. I was not impressed with VX where i have to pay 2 lacs more than SV.

The news about padleshift was the last nail on my coffin. Bye bye CV SVT. I have decided to drop SV CVT as my future car.

My SA then called me yesterday evening and told me that my car will be delayed. (booking date 2nd Dec). She says, by end april-early may, they will inform about allocation. When asked about changing from SV CVT to V MT, she told me that I will loose my priority. I told her that when i booked, there was no information about the variants and now also i have not even saw the petrol variant (forget testdrive). I told her that i will meet her in person, than arguing over phone.

First thing I did in the morning is to call the SA of VW to enquire about Vento TSI. I was impressed with testdrive earlier, but that time they stopped taking booking and I was not liking the hump in the middle and placement of the armrest. I know these two are not a major issues, but i was bit biased towards Honda due to its service and reliability. Even though VW informed me that it will take 2-3 months to deliver a TSI, I booked it by paying 50k (risk on my side is cancellation charge of Rs 2000).

Now I have booked 2 cars - one Honda and other one Vento TSI. In next few days i will think whether I should go for VW TSI or City V MT. My heart is still on city, but my mind got for Vento TSI as i am getting many good features.

I read your ownership review and feel that you are happy with vento. Can you give me few points why i should go for vento tsi.
Old 8th March 2014, 19:42   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feroz_009 View Post
In the price list its quoted - 10350/-, with painting and fitment they were quoting 12,500/-.

Primacy 3ST in Hyderabad is around 6250/- and the discounted price is around 5900/-

Hi Feroz

Can you let me know how much you were charged for the spoiler and the alloys. I have also booked at pride honda madhapur, if you let me know the amount I can try for the same price.
Old 8th March 2014, 21:29   #1129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post
My SA then called me yesterday evening and told me that my car will be delayed. (booking date 2nd Dec). She says, by end april-early may, they will inform about allocation. When asked about changing from SV CVT to V MT, she told me that I will loose my priority. I told her that when i booked, there was no information about the variants and now also i have not even saw the petrol variant (forget testdrive). I told her that i will meet her in person, than arguing over phone.
Its sad to see so many people landing in confusion over the features that were not put up correctly on the website. I think moving to the V variant makes sense but the issue we have seen is Honda has focused on producing more SV variants and hence its easy to get the SVs. The V has a lot of wait time since Honda is producing limited number of Vs...so it not just about loosing priority - its also that the V is available in limited quantity leading to more wait time.
Old 8th March 2014, 23:44   #1130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I was not liking the hump in the middle and placement of the armrest. I know these two are not a major issues, but i was bit biased towards Honda due to its service and reliability.

Now I have booked 2 cars - one Honda and other one Vento TSI. In next few days i will think whether I should go for VW TSI or City V MT. My heart is still on city, but my mind got for Vento TSI as i am getting many good features.

I read your ownership review and feel that you are happy with vento. Can you give me few points why i should go for vento tsi.
Yes, at this point I am very happy. Just updated my thread with a 4000 km report. Since I have not experienced the City, not sure if I can give unbiased points as to why to go for the Vento TSI over the City CVT. But few comments I can make based on my opinions. When I went ahead with the TSI without waiting for the City launch, I had a nagging concern as to whether I should have waited. But I think I can safely say, if I was going to buy today, I would have still chosen the TSI. Two Major reasons
  • Drivability: This I can say with assurance. You will not want to stop driving the TSI. It is very addictive.
  • Variants, Features and price: The SV is priced slightly lower than the TSI, but loses out on a lot of features, including the missing paddle shift. The VX is much more expensive than the TSI and still misses out on several small but significant things (To name a few: Steering Reach Adjust, Auto Up down on all windows, Pinch guard on all windows, Remote opening/closing of windows, height adjustable seat belts). A member had uploaded an internal document done by VW on comparison between Vento and City a few pages back. That had a lot of the small and significant features which the Vento had.

On the points you mentioned, I find the front arm rest comfortable, it is adjustable and has storage space. The rear hump can be an issue if you expect to regularly carry 5 passengers.

Of course, the City has its own advantages. Above is just my viewpoint.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 07:09   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Yes, at this point I am very happy. Just updated my thread with a 4000 km report.
On the points you mentioned, I find the front arm rest comfortable, it is adjustable and has storage space. The rear hump can be an issue if you expect to regularly carry 5 passengers.

Of course, the City has its own advantages. Above is just my viewpoint.
Thanks Rajeevraj. I was going over the updated report and very detailed indeed.

The Vento TSI indeed is a very peppy car in terms of driving. Seating 3 passengers in rear and bigger boot space requirements are few things that may prevent me for going for Vento TSI incase I cancel my SV CVT booking. I'm not sure why they did not add cruise control in Vento TSI.

Overall, considering the extra features that Vento TSI is giving, pricing wise, it turns out better than SV CVT.

Also, I got a notification that during March, Volkwagen is offering 0% EMI for 36 months on Vento. I see their website also updated with the info. I'll be calling in Palace cross Volkwagen SA to get more details.

Sometimes I believe, over time, Honda may be forced to release a V variant CVT model as I'm sure SV CVT sales would take a dip once customers find out about missing paddle shifters and no manual mode (still waiting for confirmation from SA on manual mode/extra gear).

Last edited by neel911 : 9th March 2014 at 07:11.
Old 9th March 2014, 10:17   #1132
BHPian

Recently visited a local Honda showroom to take a look at the Honda City diesel and to see the interiors of the new City.

There was a special edition Honda City diesel there. Clicked a few pictures and sharing the same.

Special Edition "S" variant [I-DTEC]. Notice the badge on left side & the red Honda symbol. The rear bumper has a reverse camera in the center as well as sensors on each side of the camera:
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-wp_20140222_001.1.jpg

Notice the alloys with red Honda sign. The break drum / shoe also seen in red color. Also seen is a small turn indicator light on the left upper side of the wheel:
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-wp_20140222_003.jpg

The red Honda sign on the front. We can see the Shark Fin antenna has been changed to the regular one seen above the rear view mirror. Also, the roof has been done black matt finish:
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-wp_20140222_005.1.jpg

The dashboard view, no changes here. The center touch screen looks small for the size of the dashboard:
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-wp_20140222_006.1.jpg

A side profile. Again, we see the shark fin antenna location changed from back to the front of the car. The alloys with red Honda sign also seen. Also notice a small light, turn indicator perhaps, placed on the lower left side below the ORVM. This is something not seen in the 2014 Honda City brochure or on the Honda website for the All New 2014 Honda City picture:
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-wp_20140222_008.1.jpg

Another view of the rear & side profile. The white color with black matt finished roof, gives it a different look. This view & general profile reminds me of the 2 door US version of the Toyota Solara that came out a few years back:
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-wp_20140222_010.jpg

The front seats covers have the "CITY" symbol and a nice look:
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-wp_20140222_012.jpg

The rear seats also look nice & plush:
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-wp_20140222_013.1.jpg
geotracks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 12:09   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Recently visited a local Honda showroom to take a look at the Honda City diesel and to see the interiors of the new City.
Apparently, you missed projector lamps and LED strips in the headlamps in the third pic. This looks more like a dealership level special edition not an official one. AFAIK the official red Honda emblems are seen in Type R models only and if it was an official one they would have placed a red emblem on steering wheel too, which this dealer has missed(4th pic). And finally if there was an official edition coming they would've cared to bring a mention of it in their website.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 9th March 2014 at 12:16. Reason: typo
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 12:28   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Hi Feroz

Can you let me know how much you were charged for the spoiler and the alloys. I have also booked at pride honda madhapur, if you let me know the amount I can try for the same price.
I paid 20k additional for the 7 spoke alloys(actual price is 45k) in addition to exchange of default stock alloys. For the rear spoiler i paid 10k. who is your SA? please inform him before hand that you are planning for the exchange of the alloys, so that they can arrange the 7 spoke alloys before the delivery of your car.
Old 9th March 2014, 12:37   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Apparently, you missed projector lamps and LED strips in the headlamps in the third pic. This looks more like a dealership level special edition not an official one. AFAIK the official red Honda emblems are seen in Type R models only and if it was an official one they would have placed a red emblem on steering wheel too, which this dealer has missed(4th pic). And finally if there was an official edition coming they would've cared to bring a mention of it in their website.
Great points. I never really started the car and turned on the headlights. Hence missed the LED strips. Good catch & thanks for pointing that out for benefit of others in this forum. You are right, it is a dealership level special edition.
geotracks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 13:18   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post

Special Edition "S" variant [I-DTEC]. Notice the badge on left side & the red Honda symbol. The rear bumper has a reverse camera in the center as well as sensors on each side of the camera:
Attachment 1216961

Notice the alloys with red Honda sign. The break drum / shoe also seen in red color. Also seen is a small turn indicator light on the left upper side of the wheel:
Attachment 1216962

The red Honda sign on the front. We can see the Shark Fin antenna has been changed to the regular one seen above the rear view mirror. Also, the roof has been done black matt finish:
Attachment 1216963
Certainly not a manufacturer provided Special Edition. If you look at the brochure of Honda City, the alloy wheels put up on this special edition are already being shown on the Brochure as accessories.

Furthermore, S variant does not have Shark-Fin Antenna. It starts only from the SV variant. E & s Variant have the regular antenna at the front side. There is no change on that.

Similarly I am guessing that the Black Mat Finish on the roof and the Red Honda Badges are all a part of the special edition package put up by the Dealer to sell some accessories.

I can tell you. Based on the rates these guys show for accessories, there aren't many people who are going to opt for such accessories from the Dealer. This is just a way to lure a potential customer in for accessories by showing how good the car looks with all these accessories.
Old 9th March 2014, 15:24   #1137
Senior - BHPian

The seating position issues, the lack of electronic stability control and the long wait for the VX CVT convinced me to cancel my booking and buy a VW Vento TSI instead, which seems to now be available with more regularity. Only time will tell whether abandoning the reliability of a Honda for German technical wizardry is a good decision.
Old 9th March 2014, 16:14   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feroz_009 View Post
I paid 20k additional for the 7 spoke alloys(actual price is 45k) in addition to exchange of default stock alloys. For the rear spoiler i paid 10k. who is your SA? please inform him before hand that you are planning for the exchange of the alloys, so that they can arrange the 7 spoke alloys before the delivery of your car.
Yes, i have already spoken with them on this. My SA is Santosh. They accessories guy Raj or somebody i forgot his name was quoting around 23k including nutts, bolts etc. Any idea on how much would the projectors cost which are seen in above pics? (in case you might have enquired).
Old 9th March 2014, 17:09   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The seating position issues, the lack of electronic stability control and the long wait for the VX CVT convinced me to cancel my booking and buy a VW Vento TSI instead, which seems to now be available with more regularity. Only time will tell whether abandoning the reliability of a Honda for German technical wizardry is a good decision.
What is the waiting period for TSI? in bangalore, they say 3-4 months
Old 9th March 2014, 20:17   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the waiting period for TSI? in bangalore, they say 3-4 months
Ever since I re-established contact with my VW dealer a couple of weeks ago, they've received and sold one every week. When I started talking they had a silver in stock. But I was uncertain of taking the plunge without a test drive. A few days later they got me a Polo TSI to test drive, which blew me away and I decided the Vento it is. By that time the silver was gone. Then they got a terra beige. I wasn't sold on the color and I wanted to take a look in person. In the meantime, it got booked and was sold.

Earlier this week they got a pepper grey and asked me to book it so that I don't lose out again. I did and the rest as they say is history.

To bring this back to topic. Anybody considering the CVT VX should take a look at the Vento TSI. I guess they cost about the same. I haven't driven the City CVT but in terms of interior fit and finish and overall build quality I think the TSI is superior. And I can find a comfortable seating position!

Most Viewed