Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2014, 15:50   #1156
Senior - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
The Honda City is well known for its back seat comfort. Almost all reviews on different forums I have read to date, say the same thing. Being a Honda owner myself, I can support this claim with confidence.
Very true there was a period in the middle where I had a driver. In that situation the backseat really counts and the City is had to beat. If that were still true the new City would have easily trounced the Vento for me.

Quote:
Another aspect you may want to consider is the service costs. Typically VW's annual service may cost you in the range of INR 10+K. Honda will be bi-annual servicing each around INR 3K to 4K. Though Honda recommends servicing every 3 months (general check-up), I have been taking my Honda every 6 months for an oil & filter change.
That actually is a major issue. I was told the Vento TSI has to be brought in for service every 15,000 kms and that is a relief for someone who stuck to Honda's service schedule. There was a time my car was doing a lot of kms and it went for service 3-4 times a year.

Quote:
The point in favor of the VW is that it has 55 liter gas tank, so you'll be visiting gas stations less frequently as against a 40 liter tank capacity of the Honda City.
Tell me about it! I got the shock of my life yesterday when I decided to top up the TSI and was presented with a bill for 3,400 bucks! With the City, the max it ever took was 2,800. And that version had a 45 liter tank.
Old 10th March 2014, 16:25   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Tell me about it! I got the shock of my life yesterday when I decided to top up the TSI and was presented with a bill for 3,400 bucks! With the City, the max it ever took was 2,800. And that version had a 45 liter tank.
I guess the tank size is a trade off made in favor of the diesel engine.
40L x 12 kmpl = 480 kms [Range for Petrol City/City Driving]
40L x 16 kmpl = 640 kms [Range for Diesel City/City Driving]

So for the Diesel the Range extremely good.
Old 10th March 2014, 16:48   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

I guess the tank size is a trade off made in favor of the diesel engine.
40L x 12 kmpl = 480 kms [Range for Petrol City/City Driving]
40L x 16 kmpl = 640 kms [Range for Diesel City/City Driving]

So for the Diesel the Range extremely good.
Good point. I don't think anyone would mind much if they have to go to the petrol pump after every 500km. For most people that will be once a week which is quite acceptable considering the easy access to petrol pumps around us.
Old 10th March 2014, 18:44   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Good point. I don't think anyone would mind much if they have to go to the petrol pump after every 500km. For most people that will be once a week which is quite acceptable considering the easy access to petrol pumps around us.
Agree to your point. However, the 500 kms discussion holds true if it were near to empty. I for one, am in a habit to fill up every time the needle is slightly below the quarter tank level. Which means, I have to fill up each time around 400 +- kms. For my driving which is around 20 kms a day, the full tank up to the quarter level or slightly less, lasts for around little less than 2 weeks. With this, I have to fill up about twice a month or if weekend drives are longer, then thrice a month. This I feel is too often , although some may disagree. I just feel that if the Honda City had a 50+ liter tank capacity like the VW Vento, there would be fewer gas station trips.
Old 10th March 2014, 18:47   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I understand that a big bill of INR 3.4K is lot when compared to INR 2.8K, but look at the positive side, you have to make fewer trips to the gas station, which I think is a big plus.
Old 10th March 2014, 18:58   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post

I have one question for you. Do you know what is the width of the rims you have upgraded, 5j, 5.5j or 6j?
It would be written on the inside of the rim.
195 section tyre would warrant a minimum of 5.5J.
Sumit, the standard wheel size in the specification is 15x5.5J. Since I bought the new alloys from Honda, i think, it should also follow the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
I was paying attention to the fender wells for rear side tyres and the finish does not look right atleast on the pictures. Is it sprayed with some white colour? I wish they would have at least painted it proper black. Maintaining fender walls will be a hassle else. I think I need to get the Mother's Fender Well brush then to keep it clean.
I know, that really looks bad. But, I am anyway going for underbody rust protection from 3M car care.
Old 10th March 2014, 19:17   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just feel that if the Honda City had a 50+ liter tank capacity like the VW Vento, there would be fewer gas station trips.
I guess its a fair statement for Petrol City buyers, my calculation should have discounted the 5 liters or so that comes under Reserve which would reduce the range further by another 60km (for Petrol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feroz_009 View Post
Sumit, the standard wheel size in the specification is 15x5.5J. Since I bought the new alloys from Honda, i think, it should also follow the same. I know, that really looks bad. But, I am anyway going for underbody rust protection from 3M car care.
How much does the underbody rust protection from 3M cost for the City?

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 10th March 2014 at 19:26.
Old 10th March 2014, 19:29   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

How much does the underbody rust protection from 3M cost for the City?
Its around 3800 including taxes!

I am also going for the 3m floor mats which are far better than 3d mats and the price quoted is 220/- persft, for Honda City, the cost would be around 6k.
feroz_009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 20:40   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
11.5 for the VX CVT seems too low, considering that the Ex-Showrooom itself is in the 10.8-10.9L Range. The Vento TSI in Bangalore is somewhere around the 12.6-12.7 OTR (assuming the price rice and the excise cut balanced each other out) and the City VX CVT is ~13.9L OTR as per a Bangalore Dealer website. Based on this the VX CVT in UP should be ~12.5L range.

If you expect to do a lot of highway driving on Kerala Roads (as your profile indicates you are from Trivandrum), from performance perspective the Vento will be a better car, because it is a strong performer and the presence of sports and manual mode make it a wonderful car to drive on crowded highways.

Having said that, you need to look at what all other parameters are important for you. Look at the brochures and compare features. The Vento TSI has a lot more features than the City SV variant. For example from technical standpoint the SV does not have paddle shifts (which is what triggered the last 2-3 pages discussion), Hill Hold, ESP but at the same time the TSI does not have Cruise Control which the SV has.

So, do that comparison and see if it helps you eliminate one of the cars.
Thanks, I'm going to test drive a Vento TSI with my family seated in the back. If the rear seat is ok for my family, i might well go for Vento only.
But there is no test drive TSI model available. Can only check the space in back and the service costs from the dealer. Sadly no CVT from honda also not available for test drive.

I'm pretty much happy with the back seat of City. But the front seat, during test drive didn't look that comfortable for me (I am just under 6 feet tall). Probably I didnt adjust the seat correctly.

Really confusing. If I'd a higher budget should have gone for the Hyundai Elantra Diesel Automatic.
Old 10th March 2014, 22:39   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Thanks, I'm going to test drive a Vento TSI with my family seated in the back. If the rear seat is ok for my family, i might well go for Vento only.
But there is no test drive TSI model available. Can only check the space in back and the service costs from the dealer. Sadly no CVT from honda also not available for test drive.

I'm pretty much happy with the back seat of City. But the front seat, during test drive didn't look that comfortable for me (I am just under 6 feet tall). Probably I didnt adjust the seat correctly.

Really confusing. If I'd a higher budget should have gone for the Hyundai Elantra Diesel Automatic.

I booked my Honda City petrol vx last month and expecting delivery around 23rd March.

At the time of booking I too had a confusion between the City, Verna and the Vento. For me the back seat comfort is very important as it would be chauffeur driven with a 60:40 ratio in favor of chauffeur.

The Verna was immediately ruled out due to pathetic back seat comfort. There was a confusion between the city and the Vento. However I chose the city for the following reasons:
  • Better back seat comfort in City. I felt the Vento seating to be slightly lower compared to the city and therefore getting in and out was more comfortable in the City.
  • Another very important criteria was the A.S.S. This was of utmost importance as I need a car that would be hassle free to maintain. It is not the cost of service that was a bother, it was the availability of parts during emergencies and the honesty of service. For both the points VW did not inspire much confidence as I know a few in my family and friends circle who far not that impressed with the quality of A.S.S. by both VW and Skoda. And with the hectic work schedule did not want to waste too much time behind any of this.
  • Also, I believe the Vento comes only with the automatic and there not very successful time with quite a few automatics is well known in India.
  • Another important criteria for me was the sunroof which isn't available with the Vento

All the best for your decision!
Old 10th March 2014, 22:47   #1166
BHPian

Need some inputs on Honda Official Reverse Parking Sensor.

I have booked White SV CVT. Honda earlier used to provide body coloured sensors. The person managing the accessory division however mentioned that Honda used to get complaints and so now they are only giving in Black colour reverse sensors. It is prices for about 6.5K.

Having 4 black sensors on white car is something I'm not too keen on. He however mentioned that if I wanted, they could colour the sensors white to match the body colour. However, this would void the warranty as per Honda terms. He mentioned that painting them would not affect the sensitivity of sensors and they should just work fine. Not sure if I should trust his words.

I've been really happy with the sensitivity of Honda official reverse sensors on my brother's earlier generation Honda City but not getting them in body coloured is a bummer

I have 2 options:
- Paint them white and have it installed and hope they continue to work as expected
- Buy after market good sensors. I'm somehow not sure about the quality of after market sensors or which brand to go for here. Also, I believe, holes need to be drilled on bumper to install them and this is something I'm not too sure how the quality of the finish would be after market.

I'm planning to hold off on boot spoiler ( 9.5K ) for now. Can have it installed later as well.

Illuminated scuff plates are tempting. They are exorbitantly priced as noted earlier ( 5.5K )
Old 10th March 2014, 22:55   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have booked White SV CVT. Honda earlier used to provide body coloured sensors. The person managing the accessory division however mentioned that Honda used to get complaints and so now they are only giving in Black colour reverse sensors. It is prices for about 6.5K.

Having 4 black sensors on white car is something I'm not too keen on. He however mentioned that if I wanted, they could colour the sensors white to match the body colour. However, this would void the warranty as per Honda terms. He mentioned that painting them would not affect the sensitivity of sensors and they should just work fine. Not sure if I should trust his words.

I've been really happy with the sensitivity of Honda official reverse sensors on my brother's earlier generation Honda City but not getting them in body coloured is a bummer

I have 2 options:
- Paint them white and have it installed and hope they continue to work as expected
- Buy after market good sensors. I'm somehow not sure about the quality of after market sensors or which brand to go for here. Also, I believe, holes need to be drilled on bumper to install them and this is something I'm not too sure how the quality of the finish would be after market.

I'm planning to hold off on boot spoiler ( 9.5K ) for now. Can have it installed later as well.

Illuminated scuff plates are tempting. They are exorbitantly priced as noted earlier ( 5.5K )
Check with the accessory guy which brand sensors Honda is providing you. Then you can check its price outside and also get them painted yourself. Also, it sounds absolutely absurd that warranty will be void if they are painted. The honda accessory guy here specifically told me the sensors which they are providing are body colored ones. I saw them installed on a couple of cars in showroom itself which dealer was selling with accessories from him.
Do not go for black only sensors as i have seen them on a white previous generation City and they spoil the back look of the car.

Spoiler can be arranged easily from outside for 4k max. And there is no risk of any warranty void with them as well so i will say get it from outside which is exactly i am going to do with my SV city. Its also White in color.

As for LED scuff plates here dealer is giving them for 5k. However, they can be easily sourced from sites like snapdeal, ebay etc for around 1500. Ftiting can be done DIY or from any accessory shop.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 07:45   #1168
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations on your new Honda City booking. If the new City is giving you a stock reverse camera, do you really need reverse parking sensors? In my opinion it would be good to have but may not be really required in addition to a reverse camera.

Illuminated scuff plates look good. I got them fitted from Honda, when I rolled out my new City around 1.5 years ago. 5.5K including showroom labor, is a expensive I agree, but I think Honda technicians do a good job fitting them, as that's what they do everyday on cars that they are familiar with. If you fit it from outside, make sure the technician is really good & knows what he is doing on a 10L+ car.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 08:38   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
I know, that really looks bad. But, I am anyway going for underbody rust protection from 3M car care.
Maybe I'm missing something here. How would the under body rust protection take care of the fender wells? I was more thinking in lines of whether it can be painted black or have it covered by some plastic cladding.

Under body rust protection is definable good and something I'm also planning to get it done from 3M.

Quote:

I am also going for the 3m floor mats which are far better than 3d mats and the price quoted is 220/- persft, for Honda City, the cost would be around 6k.
I've never explored 3M mats or the 3D mats. Is it advisable to not go for the Honda provided mats (Rs 1800) and instead go for 3D or the ones from 3M? The one Honda provides are light beige and though they look nice, I'm sure they'll get dirty pretty soon. I do however like the clip lock they have for driver side mat so it stays in place.

Also, do you have picture of 3M mats? Is it the one posted here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ct-review.html
They do not look that appealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Check with the accessory guy which brand sensors Honda is providing you. Then you can check its price outside and also get them painted yourself. Also, it sounds absolutely absurd that warranty will be void if they are painted. The honda accessory guy here specifically told me the sensors which they are providing are body colored ones. I saw them installed on a couple of cars in showroom itself which dealer was selling with accessories from him.
Do not go for black only sensors as i have seen them on a white previous generation City and they spoil the back look of the car.

Spoiler can be arranged easily from outside for 4k max. And there is no risk of any warranty void with them as well so i will say get it from outside which is exactly i am going to do with my SV city. Its also White in color.

As for LED scuff plates here dealer is giving them for 5k. However, they can be easily sourced from sites like snapdeal, ebay etc for around 1500. Ftiting can be done DIY or from any accessory shop.
If possible, can you check the brand that your dealer is giving and if they are part of Honda official accessory list? I'll try to call my dealer and check on this. Even the Honda City accessory page shows body colored bumpers so was kind of surprised when my dealer told me that it comes only in black.

I'll hold off on the spoiler. For scuff plates, I'm not sure if third party manufacturers have started making for the new City.

Quote:
Congratulations on your new Honda City booking. If the new City is giving you a stock reverse camera, do you really need reverse parking sensors? In my opinion it would be good to have but may not be really required in addition to a reverse camera.

Illuminated scuff plates look good. I got them fitted from Honda, when I rolled out my new City around 1.5 years ago. 5.5K including showroom labor, is a expensive I agree, but I think Honda technicians do a good job fitting them, as that's what they do everyday on cars that they are familiar with. If you fit it from outside, make sure the technician is really good & knows what he is doing on a 10L+ car.
Mine is SV CVT variant which does not come with reverse camera installed. I'm not too fond of camera as such and so am planning to go just for sensors.

I think I'll probably go for the scuff plates from the dealer itself. I wish they had illuminated ones for rear panels as well.
Old 11th March 2014, 11:03   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If possible, can you check the brand that your dealer is giving and if they are part of Honda official accessory list? I'll try to call my dealer and check on this. Even the Honda City accessory page shows body colored bumpers so was kind of surprised when my dealer told me that it comes only in black.

I'll hold off on the spoiler. For scuff plates, I'm not sure if third party manufacturers have started making for the new City.

Mine is SV CVT variant which does not come with reverse camera installed. I'm not too fond of camera as such and so am planning to go just for sensors.

I think I'll probably go for the scuff plates from the dealer itself. I wish they had illuminated ones for rear panels as well.
Yes, the sensors are part of Honda accessory list. Price is 5400. I will get them from dealer itself as getting them from outside has a huge risk of voiding the warranty.
For LED scuff plates I really want to know if the previous generation City and this one has same dimensions in that area. If it is then the same can be fitted easily. Plus point in getting them from outside is that all 4 doors will get illuminated ones where Honda is giving LED for only front doors. Fitting is easy through the dome light and any good accessory guy can do it.

Spoiler I will wait and try to find a local accessory shop, otherwise I will procure it from the importer and get them fitted here.

Mine is also SV model so do keep me posted whatever modifications you do which will be quite helpful to me and others.
Delivery of my car is in April so near that I will do a complete survey of all accessory shops in Karolbagh and will post my findings here.

Most Viewed