Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 19:20   #1546
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Maruti and Hyundai are unbeatable in terms of how they treat the customer before and after sales. Coming from a Hyundai background this is something I noticed glaringly with Honda. There is no comparison. But then based on reading thru various posts on this forum, the others such as Skoda, VW etc. have larger horror stories. So, in comparison with a Maruti or Hyundai, this aspect is a compromise the moment we go with any other company.

In terms of the Diesel City, I haven't had any problems so far but its definitely under-powered in comparison with other cars in this segment such as the Verna or the Vento. For City driving its more than sufficient. For the highways, the statistics say it all, 0-100 for a Verna is something like 11 seconds while the City takes its own sweet time of 14+ seconds. The Petrol City on the other hand is a enthusiast's dream.
Prospective Honda Owners in Trivandrum can contact the new Perfect Honda dealership. They have offered me to deliver the VX CVT in 2 months time. No freebies or discounts. This matched my requirement of getting the car after June 19 .

Will be visiting the dealership soon, and get a real confirmation through an allotment letter before cancelling the existing booking.
adarsh76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 19:24   #1547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
One thing that i noticed is when the car is hot and idling the engine has a slight ringing sound to it. Nothing too loud. You wont notice it until you open the hood. ( Inside the cabin you cannot hear engine when idling ) I am not sure if this the "natural" sound of the engine. My Santro never had a rining note while idling. Showed it to the dealer said it is
normal. iVtech owners do you also observe such a sound. when the car is idling after say at leaset 30-40 minutes of driving. Open the hood and listen closely. Do you notice a slight rininging sound.

Does the iVtech have a timing chain or belt. Could this noise eminate from the timing chain ? Am i being paranoid. The vehicle otherwise performs well.

Even I had a similar problem, and it was loud enough to pass in the cabin.
Reported the issue during the first service. The culprit was idle bearing, there was a play in it which resulted in hissing sound. This is not good on Honda's part. One of the major component failing in two weeks of time .

Anyways, they have placed an order for the same and would be replaced under warranty!
Old 7th April 2014, 21:01   #1548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Prospective Honda Owners in Trivandrum can contact the new Perfect Honda dealership. They have offered me to deliver the VX CVT in 2 months time. No freebies or discounts. This matched my requirement of getting the car after June 19 . Will be visiting the dealership soon, and get a real confirmation through an allotment letter before cancelling the existing booking.
Wow! That sounds like a reasonable timeframe now Congrats. As per your earlier post you had already made the booking elsewhere - so will they deduct some amount from the booking amount if you ask for a refund?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feroz_009 View Post
Even I had a similar problem, and it was loud enough to pass in the cabin.
Reported the issue during the first service. The culprit was idle bearing, there was a play in it which resulted in hissing sound. This is not good on Honda's part. One of the major component failing in two weeks of time .
Anyways, they have placed an order for the same and would be replaced under warranty!
What bearing is this? The petrol was supposed to be the safe bet given that its based on proven engine/technology. This sounds like bad news for all for Petrol City buyers Is this something that folks can figure out during Pre-Delivery Inspection itself - was it evident at the time of delivery itself for you ?

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 7th April 2014 at 21:02.
Old 7th April 2014, 21:19   #1549
BHPian

No the booking amount is fully refundable. I have already talked to the current dealership. They do not have a problem.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 7th April 2014 at 21:23.
Old 7th April 2014, 22:03   #1550
BHPian

Quote:

What bearing is this? The petrol was supposed to be the safe bet given that its based on proven engine/technology. This sounds like bad news for all for Petrol City buyers Is this something that folks can figure out during Pre-Delivery Inspection itself - was it evident at the time of delivery itself for you ?
It's engine idler pulley bearing. You can figure it out only after driving around 10 Kim's. There is no noise during cold start. After first service the noise has decreased a lot, but, I still insisted on the replacement. The technician informed me that there was a play in the bearing which was leading to this sound.

Everything else with my Achilies was awesome! first tank full gave an economy of 11.8 kmpl. I hope it would increase now as the car has done 1000 Kms and with first service done. The odo now shows an average of 12.9 and overall mileage from day one is 11.9 ( city driving ).

The bearing will reach the showroom by Thursday! Will keep posted on the updates and more information on the issue.
feroz_009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 13:04   #1551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feroz_009 View Post
It's engine idler pulley bearing. You can figure it out only after driving around 10 Kim's. There is no noise during cold start. After first service the noise has decreased a lot, but, I still insisted on the replacement. The technician informed me that there was a play in the bearing which was leading to this sound.
Last night after 40 mins of driving in dense traffic i could hear the noise loud and clearly especially while idling and when i opened the hood. It was more like the sound you get if you get a knife sharpened on a grinding wheel. In the morning with the engine cold there was no noise. The dealer is asking me to keep the car with them for 1-2 days. But at the moment i am just too busy at office.

Wondering if the quality control guys at Honda are sleeping. I hope they resolve this quickly. A blemish on otherwise a true enthusiast's car the manual petrol that is.
Old 8th April 2014, 13:37   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Last night after 40 mins of driving in dense traffic i could hear the noise loud and clearly especially while idling and when i opened the hood. It was more like the sound you get if you get a knife sharpened on a grinding wheel. In the morning with the engine cold there was no noise. The dealer is asking me to keep the car with them for 1-2 days. But at the moment i am just too busy at office.

Wondering if the quality control guys at Honda are sleeping. I hope they resolve this quickly. A blemish on otherwise a true enthusiast's car the manual petrol that is.
For any new car, there would be some kind of problems. It happens to even the luxury segment cars. The only thing is for the company to admit there is an issue and clear it off.
Old 8th April 2014, 16:48   #1553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The area looks prone to scratches, but polish chipping off is new!! Not expected from a Honda, specially when regarding quality of the interiors.

+1. Excellent suggestion. One of my good friends owns a mobile shop and is an expert in cutting out perfect screen guard films for touchscreen phones. I'll ask him to cover up all the shiny black interior bits of my Empress, if he could. Will post pics of the same after the job is done.

Tyre dimensions are the same as the 3rd gen City. In the interest of FE only, Honda has stuck to these puny-sized tyres. The OEMs will last some distance no doubt (depending on the quality), but skinny sections don't provide enough grip on the road, compromise a bit on ground clearance, and riding comfort is not optimum. The latter two can be lived with, but gripping can result in a life-or-death situation.

The reason for going wider and bigger is to improve grip levels (considering the state of the roads we drive in, plus the incessant rains) at a cost of marginal drop in FE, although owners have reported that Michelins usually retain nearly the same FE figures. Riding comfort gets a much-needed bolster too, and ground clearance levels improve drastically as well.

Congratulations, Adarsh.

The 185/60 upgrade is definitely NOT recommended, as vsrivatsa said it lowers ground clearance slightly. The 195/60 tyre upgrade is the best one out of the lot, and with Michelins there is no substantial drop in FE figures either.

The best upgrade is 185/55/16, but tyre options are limited in that profile plus you would have to change your rims to 16" as well. No telling how effective that would be in the long run, plus what impact it would have on the ABS and tyre life.

Don't worry, and just go for the 195/60 upgrade. If you want long tyre life, Bridgestones are your best bet. For all other criteria, Michelins come as recommended.
Raven, I have just seen the Honda City Brochure (Thailand Version). It's written in Thai but I managed to read the tyre sizes . Two tyre sizes are recommended. One is the stock ones, 175/65 R15 and the other is the one you said which is 185/55 R16.

So if its a Honda recommended size then, there won't be any impact on ABS and the tyre life. But I'm unable to find any tyre of this size.
Old 9th April 2014, 08:47   #1554
BHPian

Cheers! I could not resist sharing this! A FE of 18.2 kmpl!!

This one is from South Delhi to Noida with AC on.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-cheers_fe.jpg  

paul_charles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 09:23   #1555
BHPian

This question is mainly for Bangalore Honda City owners. From the date of delivery, how many days does it typically take to receive the RC Smart card? For me, about 3 weeks have already been over and have not received the card yet.

Also, for the Extended Warranty and Road side Assistance, does Honda give some certificate or so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_charles View Post
Cheers! I could not resist sharing this! A FE of 18.2 kmpl!!

This one is from South Delhi to Noida with AC on.
This is Awesome. I'm assuming this is SV CVT variant. Maybe it'll be good for folks to mention the variants in posts as well as we have quite a few owners now and it's difficult to remember who has which one

EDIT: Also, please share the mode(was it D+ECON) and speed you maintained most of the time

Last edited by neel911 : 9th April 2014 at 09:26.
Old 9th April 2014, 09:27   #1556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post

This is Awesome. I'm assuming this is SV CVT variant. Maybe it'll be good for folks to mention the variants in posts as well as we have quite a few owners now and it's difficult to remember who has which one
Yes Neel, you are correct. I included this info initially and later realised that it is there in my signature as well, & eventually dropped from the message.
Old 9th April 2014, 09:39   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This question is mainly for Bangalore Honda City owners. From the date of delivery, how many days does it typically take to receive the RC Smart card? For me, about 3 weeks have already been over and have not received the card yet.

Also, for the Extended Warranty and Road side Assistance, does Honda give some certificate or so?
It took me close to 45 days to receive the RC Smart Card. I don't have any Certificate for the Extended Warranty - will check when I head for Second Service end of this month.

Quote:

EDIT: Also, please share the mode(was it D+ECON) and speed you maintained most of the time
I guess many of us have the Car, Engine Type and Variant in our signatures. So if you see the signature there from paul_charles, you are correct it is a SV CVT i-VTEC Variant
Old 9th April 2014, 10:28   #1558
BHPian

Quote:
It took me close to 45 days to receive the RC Smart Card. I don't have any Certificate for the Extended Warranty - will check when I head for Second Service end of this month.

I guess many of us have the Car, Engine Type and Variant in our signatures. So if you see the signature there from paul_charles, you are correct it is a SV CVT i-VTEC Variant
Wow!!! that's great if its a CVT. Paul - Please let know if you have upgraded the tyres or not.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 11:44   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Wow!!! that's great if its a CVT. Paul - Please let know if you have upgraded the tyres or not.
I am running on the stock tires. I might upgrade with an alloy (may be 16") and a wider tires at the time of first replacement of the stock tires.
Old 9th April 2014, 11:46   #1560
BHPian

Yes, it was D+ECON & steady speed of 40-70 kmph. less than 2k rpm.

Most Viewed