Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2014, 13:06   #1891
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I have been doing the Unscientific Speed Breakers of Bangalore and outskirts for the last 3.5 months and the 2014 City has not scraped the bottom even once. In fact most Bangaloreans have included this as a standard part of their Test Drive home work - they fill the car with 4-5 people and go over speed bumps to ensure that this test is passed.
Thanks. That brings some relief if i am going with 2014 city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If your in Bangalore and you commute daily on roads that have our normal monster speed breakers take a close look at the Duster again.
It is better than the Duster but considering the practicality the Duster is worth a second look. Look at the 85 PS if using in city. The 110PS is too painful to drive in the city traffic.
Yes, i am in namma bengaluru and my daily commute is going to be on our obstacle tracks! Its not just the speed breakers that are worrying me. There are some stretches that are quite scary. One near the ESI hospital in Cambridge Layout and almost the perenially under development stretch from Sai baba temple towards commando hospital. The one near ESI, it is so bad to even go on a bike!. Kanakapura road near sarakki. With metro construction likely to go on for few more years, i assume the same would be the case, where there is metro construction.

I am keeping my option open with the duster. I am finding hard to convince myself to pay that price for the duster.
Old 18th May 2014, 18:15   #1892
BHPian

Does anyone know what the current wait times are? In Hyderabad?

I am planning to go for a VX MT Petrol.
Old 18th May 2014, 20:44   #1893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
My VX CVT is getting delivered on 30th May. The vehicle will reach the showroom on 24th May but I am taking it on 30th.

The booking was done at Perfect Honda, Trivandrum on April last week and receiving the car in just over 1 month time.
Hey Congrats Adarsh!! I believe you are the few lucky ones who have got their VX CVT delivered this quick. Have booked here in Mumbai with Arya and still waiting from last 3 months...

Is anyone here in Mumbai who have got their VX CVT delivered from Arya or in Mumbai in less than 3 months as I have been told that there is absolutely no deliveries from Honda itself.
Old 18th May 2014, 22:45   #1894
AMJ

I waited for 5 months to get by VX CVT. The car finally got delivered 4 days ago. Its been a great experience so far. I did not go for any accessories but after following this post and with some kind suggestions changed the tires to Michellin P3ST 195/60/R15.

However now I am a bit concerned on Kitna deti hai. I request for some advise here. I got the car with 58 kms on the ODO. Its about 150 kms now and the mileage that I see on the MID is 7. or Trip B (150kms) and 5.1 on Trip A (25kms). This is too low. The tyre pressures are as suggested on the drivers door but such low average is a concern. I haven't driven above 60 yet and its always with ECON On.

Request for some advice on what could be going wrong and how can I improve the mileage.
Old 19th May 2014, 08:45   #1895
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ View Post
However now I am a bit concerned on Kitna deti hai. I request for some advise here. I got the car with 58 kms on the ODO. Its about 150 kms now and the mileage that I see on the MID is 7. or Trip B (150kms) and 5.1 on Trip A (25kms). This is too low. The tyre pressures are as suggested on the drivers door but such low average is a concern. I haven't driven above 60 yet and its always with ECON On.

Request for some advice on what could be going wrong and how can I improve the mileage.
Reset both trip meters and check the FE again with a full tank of petrol. Is your driving mainly in traffic for now? try some open roads and see if it goes up.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 09:42   #1896
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
I waited for 5 months to get by VX CVT. The car finally got delivered 4 days ago. Its been a great experience so far. I did not go for any accessories but after following this post and with some kind suggestions changed the tires to Michellin P3ST 195/60/R15.

Well, petrol CVT will give lower FE than petrol manual in the city. Reason: There is a lot of slip in the CVT and hence it wastes a lot of power.

The reason why the CVT city's FE rating is higher is due to it's super tall final ratio. It can fool people.

But 7 kmpl is too less. Please do tank full to tank full method for checking FE. Try going on an open road(cruise on a highway) and see the FE figures you get. You'll be amazed by the FE in the highway.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 10:57   #1897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Well, petrol CVT will give lower FE than petrol manual in the city. Reason: There is a lot of slip in the CVT and hence it wastes a lot of power.

The reason why the CVT city's FE rating is higher is due to it's super tall final ratio. It can fool people.

But 7 kmpl is too less. Please do tank full to tank full method for checking FE. Try going on an open road(cruise on a highway) and see the FE figures you get. You'll be amazed by the FE in the highway.
My SV CVT run 150km upto now on stock tyres. On b2b traffic (crawling at speed <10km/hr) it gives 8 to 8.5 kmpl. In slightly less traffic (20-40km/hr) it gives 11kmpl. I drove from last time from a mall parking to home with reasonable traffic after resetting MID. FE started with 5kmpl however the avg FE for 12km drive was 10.5kmpl which I felt preety good.

I am not keeping ECON mode on as I feel engine is bit strained in that mode and it may result in more loss of power adding to the rubber band effect of CVT upon acceleration. Without ECON I am not feeling any rubber band effect in normal city driving.

I am expecting better FE after 1000km and first service.
Old 19th May 2014, 11:38   #1898
BHPian

Quote:
The City does give you stylish futuristic interiors but by no way are they solid. The City feels built to a cost and you can feel the cost cutting inside out.
Can you or someone help me understand how to interpret/correlate NCAP safety tests and the build quality? If city is built to cost, then how did it score 5? And if the german cars (say vento) have solid build, then why do they get scored as 4 (with airbags)?
Vahanam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 12:55   #1899
BHPian

Quote:

My SV CVT run 150km upto now on stock tyres. On Bangalore b2b traffic (crawling at speed of 10km/hr) I am getting 8-8.5kmpl. On relatively light traffic (20-40km/hr) I am getting 11kmpl.

Yesterday's 12km trip from a city mall to home (reasonable traffic) gave me avg FE of 10.5. Though MID initially showing 5kmpl, at the end it was showing 10.5kmpl avg FE. On open stratch it can easily give > 15 as I see instant FE indicator going way above 15 mark on open stratch.

Surprisingly while you dont accelerate (e.g. down hill on flyover, to reduce the speed before red light) instant FE indicator touching 30 as well.

I am not driving in ECON mode as of now in a vew of the fact that engine is strained in that mode and more fuel is lost due to increased rubber band effect while accelerating frequently in city driving.

During ECON off mode, I see no rubber band effect and the car is super comfortable to drive.

I believe FE figures will increase after 1000km / 1st service.
Old 19th May 2014, 15:25   #1900
AMJ

Quote:
Reset both trip meters and check the FE again with a full tank of petrol. Is your driving mainly in traffic for now? try some open roads and see if it goes up.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
My SV CVT run 150km upto now on stock tyres. On Bangalore b2b traffic (crawling at speed of 10km/hr) I am getting 8-8.5kmpl. On relatively light traffic (20-40km/hr) I am getting 11kmpl.

Yesterday's 12km trip from a city mall .............................and more fuel is lost due to increased rubber band effect while accelerating frequently in city driving.

During ECON off mode, I see no rubber band effect and the car is super comfortable to drive.

I believe FE figures will increase after 1000km / 1st service.
Thank you Vid6639 & D4D !!!

I have done a full tank but since its the first 150 kms yet to empty the tank and calculate the mileage. The tyre upgrade to 195/60R15 should not impact mileage and bring it so low.

I intend to go for a weekend drive this coming weekend and hope to see better figures then.

My driving so far has been in the city and mostly in dense traffic. Had no chance on an open road yet. But even in traffic the efficiency should at least be 10 and on highways it should be better.
Old 20th May 2014, 17:01   #1901
BHPian

If i stick to city, I was thinking of changing the alloys to 7 spoke gun metal (Honda). SA (Whitefield Honda) mentioned they cannot exchange and i have to buy the new ones @ 8K / alloy. Is this is the case with most dealers? Feroz mentioned that he swapped by paying additional 20K. Do i stand any chance of exchanging?
Old 20th May 2014, 22:34   #1902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post
If i stick to city, I was thinking of changing the alloys to 7 spoke gun metal (Honda). SA (Whitefield Honda) mentioned they cannot exchange and i have to buy the new ones @ 8K / alloy. Is this is the case with most dealers? Feroz mentioned that he swapped by paying additional 20K. Do i stand any chance of exchanging?
In Bangalore its the same story across all 3 dealers (Dakshin, Magnum and Whitefield). None of them exchange anything. I would recommend buying after market - would be much cheaper IMHO.
Old 21st May 2014, 05:16   #1903
BHPian

My VX CVT turns 3 months this month end and I got a call from Honda ASC to get my car in for the second service (3m/ 5000km) though I've done 3300 km until now. While the car has been smoothening out progressively, the mileage hovers around 11.7kmpl in my home-office-home runs (mix of crawling ban + an equal stretch of highway run on NH8). Any feedback from other CVT owners who have clocked 2000+ kms on how they are faring?
Old 21st May 2014, 09:19   #1904
AMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
My VX CVT turns 3 months this month end and I got a call from Honda ASC to get my car in for the second service (3m/ 5000km) though I've done 3300 km until now. While the car has been smoothening out progressively, the mileage hovers around 11.7kmpl in my home-office-home runs (mix of crawling ban + an equal stretch of highway run on NH8). Any feedback from other CVT owners who have clocked 2000+ kms on how they are faring?
That does not seem bad considering you get both traffic and the highway.
The mileage I got so far is 7 and that's pathetic, however I am yet to cross 200kms and yet to experience open roads.

How was it for you when the car was new?
Old 21st May 2014, 09:38   #1905
BHPian

Quote:
That does not seem bad considering you get both traffic and the highway.
The mileage I got so far is 7 and that's pathetic, however I am yet to cross 200kms and yet to experience open roads.

How was it for you when the car was new?
Don't worry about FE for a brand new car. FE will definitely get better as the engine gets adjusted and settles gradually. You can expect an average FE of 12 to 14 km/l after 2000 to 5000 kms depending on the driving conditions, number of people in the car, luggage weight etc. The Diesel City's average will be around 15 to 17 again depending on various factors but on pure highway driving it can cross 20. The Petrol versions can also expect upto 15 or 16 in pure highway driving.

As of now, just enjoy the driving . The petrol car maintenance costs are considerably lesser than Diesel cars and hence if we calculate the running costs in the longer run it's almost same. The difference in Petrol and Diesel prices in Trivandrum is now reduced to 15 rupees per litre which can further decrease if rupee value goes up. But again, it's a personal preference to choose between a Petrol and Diesel irrespective of FE.

Just fyi...I'm also taking delivery of my VX CVT on 30 May.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 21st May 2014 at 09:50.

Most Viewed