Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2015, 18:52   #3946
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
If you're talking about engine bay noise, then that would be the two fans (radiator and condensor fans) which run at full rpm when ac is on in order to cool the ac condensor rapidly. Also engine rpm increases a bit but that's not the culprit.
Wow. That is the right explanation for the noise. Though the fans would increase the load on the alternator and which in turn will result in more engine load the noise contribution is mainly due to the Fans. Yes the fan noise is more than the increased engine noise. Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 18:58   #3947

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The noise you are describing is expected/normal behaviour and is due to the fan running on higher rpm when the thermostat makes the AC toggle ON and OFF as per the temp setting. I've observed it right from Day1.

This fan noise is far lesser compared to the Fiats, my previous car's radiator fan used to sound like a turbo-prop aircraft (but smooth and nice to listen to) when the AC is kept ON. In this case also, it was normal/expected behaviour
Thank you for the info. Do you think the pickup of the car should be impacted because of the AC switched on? I used to feel this in my 5 year old Chevy spark but it is very disappointing to experience this in the City
Old 29th May 2015, 20:59   #3948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickACM View Post
Do you think the pickup of the car should be impacted because of the AC switched on?

it is very disappointing to experience this in the City
The pick-up problem you are facing with ac is exactly like another member experienced and got rectified in his posts in the very early pages of this thread. I don't remember what the remedy was but the HASS guys had got it solved, is as far as I can remember. It was not the ac itself, but something else. You may want to go back and check it out.

As for the 'noisy' ac you're mentioning, it seems normal.
Old 30th May 2015, 01:49   #3949

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
The pick-up problem you are facing with ac is exactly like another member experienced and got rectified in his posts in the very early pages of this thread. I don't remember what the remedy was but the HASS guys had got it solved, is as far as I can remember. It was not the ac itself, but something else. You may want to go back and check it out.

As for the 'noisy' ac you're mentioning, it seems normal.
Thanks pixantz. I will monitor the situation on the other drive modes as well and report it to Honda during the upcoming 2nd service
Old 30th May 2015, 22:56   #3950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you think the pickup of the car should be impacted because of the AC switched on? I used to feel this in my 5 year old Chevy spark but it is very disappointing to experience this in the City
In my previous petrol car, there was a very perceptible loss of pickup with the AC switched on. It could fly without the AC and feel sluggish with the AC ON.

In the City Diesel, the power/pickup levels are almost the same with or without the AC. In fact, there almost no impact to fuel efficiency whether the AC is ON or OFF. The relatively higher level of torque (200 Nm) that the City Diesel motor generates upwards of 1750 rpm and about 80% of the peak torque starts from as low as 1200 rpm makes it pull strongly even with the AC ON.

Is your City petrol or Diesel? I ask this because the City petrol engine has a lower torque of 145 Nm (25% less than the Diesel variant) that could affect pickup (in relative terms to the Diesel).

Last edited by for_cars1 : 30th May 2015 at 23:00.
Old 31st May 2015, 03:35   #3951

Quote:
In my previous petrol car, there was a very perceptible loss of pickup with the AC switched on. It could fly without the AC and feel sluggish with the AC ON.

In the City Diesel, the power/pickup levels are almost the same with or without the AC. In fact, there almost no impact to fuel efficiency whether the AC is ON or OFF. The relatively higher level of torque (200 Nm) that the City Diesel motor generates upwards of 1750 rpm and about 80% of the peak torque starts from as low as 1200 rpm makes it pull strongly even with the AC ON.

Is your City petrol or Diesel? I ask this because the City petrol engine has a lower torque of 145 Nm (25% less than the Diesel variant) that could affect pickup (in relative terms to the Diesel).
Mine is an iVtec CVT. Theoretically your explanation is bang on. But I never experienced this during the first 2000kms.

Till 1000kms- I used to feel that the car wants to roar but it is on a leash and was ready to live with it because of the fact that this is not the TSI-DSG combo
Post 1st service- Even though it's a generic service, felt as if the Car has been unleashed and I was pleasantly surprised to experience the difference in the pickup on D mode till 2500rpm. It was no less than the experience of a turbo.
In both the above stages, I have always had the AC set at a comfortable 24 degrees in Delhi heat periodically changing fan speed.

The last 700 kms have been pathetic. I did make some changes post 1800 kms

1. Changed tyres to 195/60- Yokohama Earth 1 with HRS Alloys and started filling Nitrogen at 32/30psi
2. Added a Bass Bin with an Amp under the passenger seat in front
3. Added 2 speakers on the B-Pillar
4. Changed the bulbs- inside and headlamps both. Added foot light and Changed the horn.

I don't know if its the tyre change that might have led to this drop in pickup but I don't see any other change as the root cause.

Also, I have noticed the Reading Lamp flickering when the door has been left open for more than 3 mins with the Bass set at full. Could this be because of a short circuit or an inadequate rating of the battery to support all the additions to my car
Old 31st May 2015, 09:04   #3952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quite true. I have tried it many times and pick up is almost same with Ac on/off( loved this as its highly annoying when pick up drops in many cars when you switch on the AC like in my father's Manza).

However, I will disagree on the fuel efficiency part.

As example- my office is exactly 33.6 km from my home. In winters when Ac was off I will get consistent mileage between 20—23 kmpl. Now, in summers I get between 17—20 kmpl with Ac on full time. So, there is at least a couple of kmpl difference between AC on/off.

On a side note my 20000 km service is due in ten days. What will be the approx damages if I follow only the work to be done as per manual?
Old 31st May 2015, 21:32   #3953
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks pixantz. I will monitor the situation on the other drive modes as well and report it to Honda during the upcoming 2nd service
The pickup issue is definitely not due to AC. This is something else. I drive a CVT. As expected, there is a rubber band effect when you press the accelerator too hard, but that's expected out of any Automatic car. How to over come the rubber band, just take the foot off from the accelerator for a split second and it will be over. Other option is to use paddle shift if you have the VX version. Anyways, unleashing the power of CVT is to use a lighter foot than a hard foot.

I have never faced a power shortage with AC or without AC. In fact I have never driven for more than 2 minutes without AC. There is definitely something else and you need to get it rectified. Ask the service to have a check up using the diagnostics tool.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 31st May 2015 at 21:36.
Old 1st June 2015, 15:45   #3954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
On a side note my 20000 km service is due in ten days. What will be the approx damages if I follow only the work to be done as per manual?
If you can stay away from all the scams of the ASC, like get the Wheel Alignment & Wheel Balancing Done, Throttle Body Cleaning and stuff like that, it should cost you somewhere between 5 & 6K for the Diesel City. For Petrol City it's around 4.5K.
tejas08 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 21:53   #3955
Senior - BHPian

Honda Cars India have posted the May 2015 Press Release. The City sells 7,500+ units once again : URL

Given that the car is close to 1.5 years from the release/launch date - we can now say that it has settled at the 7000+ Per month number...

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 1st June 2015 at 21:54.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 22:44   #3956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Honda Cars India have posted the May 2015 Press Release. The City sells 7,500+ units once again : URL

Given that the car is close to 1.5 years from the release/launch date - we can now say that it has settled at the 7000+ Per month number...
Srivatsa, the City is certainly clocking up respectable numbers. It would have been good to know how does that as split between petrol vs diesel, manual vs CVT.

The relatively low numbers of Amaze vs Dzire and the slow movement of Mobilio are a bit of a surprise though.
Old 1st June 2015, 22:53   #3957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Srivatsa, the City is certainly clocking up respectable numbers. It would have been good to know how does that as split between petrol vs diesel, manual vs CVT.

The relatively low numbers of Amaze vs Dzire and the slow movement of Mobilio are a bit of a surprise though.
No surprises there. Amaze is hampered by below par interiors in spite of best engines in the segment. Zest and Xcent are much better as a package (and by looks of it upcoming Ford Aspire too).
Mobilio digs it's own grave by being overpriced for what it offers.

City sells cos it's a great all-rounder. Hopefully, Honda won't make the same mistake with Jazz launch which they did with Mobilio. They need another number cruncher.
Old 1st June 2015, 23:05   #3958
BHPian

Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

The monthly sale figures and regaining the top slot in mid size sedan segment by Honda City should be a lesson to Honda as well as other OEMs.

Everybody can easily recall those days, when Honda was so reluctant to bring an oil burner to India and it hit them so hard when Verna and other models took over the undisputed reign of City as soon as the price disparity of Gasoline and Diesel widened up.

Toyota, GM, VW and all other OEMs should learn a lesson and must not take the market granted. They need to reinvent themselves through faster model development and launch (major and minor refreshes), closing the plug like service woes that take prospective customers away from them and must focus on catering to Indian market specifically. I see Renault Kwid as promising chapter in Renault's strategy.

Hopefully, Honda will horizontally apply its learning from City in other products too to find more takers.

Last edited by utsav1303 : 1st June 2015 at 23:07.
utsav1303 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 11:27   #3959
BHPian

Saw this modification few days back (apologies for poor quality of pics). Had to get my car closer to ensure it's an ANHC.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-pic1.jpg

The indicator lights were even prettier below the red beams, couldn't click a pic though.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-pic2.jpg
Old 8th June 2015, 12:38   #3960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Did my HC 21K service. Mine is an old model (2012 August). Did it in Coimbatore (TVS Motors). Cost borne
1. Fuel filter change
2. replace engine oil (I normally go for mineral oil and not synthetic. Synth is mainly used while driving in harsh conditions)
3. tyre rotation with weights. Moved my front two to back and vice-versa
4. OBD report (I asked for this). Am basically an ECU engineer in Bosch
5. A/C filter change and condenser cleanup.

Totally it came to 8K. felt it was ~2K more than what i would have paid in Bangalore (Whitefield Honda).

Good luck with your 20K service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks