Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2019, 19:16   #6511
BHPian

I drive a 2016 City CVT. For the past 6 months I've noticed the car veers to the left when the steering is kept level. Got my tyres changed to Michelin Primacy 4 ST (195/60 R15) 3 months back and the alignment and balancing done with the same. I get the air levels checked every 15 days. This problem was there with old tyres (MRF ZVTV 175/65 R15) as well. I pointed this out during my last service visit in Feb at Sundaram Honda, Madurai. The SA checked the car and said there wasn't any problem with the steering column, suspension or the brake , and told to get balancing and alignment done at a local wheel balancing station as I live a little far from the service center.

I constantly have to keep the steering a little to the right to continue in straight line. I haven't noticed any unusual sounds from the brake or suspension nor any abnormal tyre wear due to constant correction. The alignment centre says that the wheels are well within the alignment limits and not to worry about it. Can someone please help me out with this issue?

Got the boot lining from boodmo.com. Now the trunk looks neat. Wonder why Honda cut down on this!
Part no for the lining : 84631-T9D-D00ZA
For the clips : 90667-SDA-A01ZA (12 nos)
It turned out the cost of the clips were more than the lining
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20180924_154745017.jpg  

Last edited by SDP : 16th May 2019 at 19:36. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Aravind_M92 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 06:19   #6512
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
Got the boot lining from boodmo.com. Now the trunk looks neat. Wonder why Honda cut down on this!
I was looking for this! Thanks for the information. Do you have any idea whether new holes were drilled to fit the clips? Could you please put up some more pictures of the 12 hole positions? It would be of great help. I would like to install it in my 2014 version and see whether it would fit perfectly.
Old 12th May 2019, 14:07   #6513
BHPian

Quote:
That was good find Aravind. Placed order for my 2016 City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
I was looking for this! Thanks for the information. Do you have any idea whether new holes were drilled to fit the clips? Could you please put up some more pictures of the 12 hole positions? It would be of great help. I would like to install it in my 2014 version and see whether it would fit perfectly.
No need to drill any holes. Honda has kept the provision, but only did not provide it earlier.
Old 12th May 2019, 14:29   #6514
BHPian

Quote:
The City manufactured here shares parts with the ones sold in Malaysia, Australia and Thailand. The international models do get the boot lining! Check for holes in your car as the car as shown in the GTO's review doesn't have them. Maybe the initial batches didn't have them.
It took about a month to get the product from the date of order!

BTW did the hood insulation make any difference? I too was planning on getting it
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-newhondacity19.jpg  

Aravind_M92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 15:20   #6515
BHPian

Quote:
Check for holes in your car as the car as shown in the GTO's review doesn't have them. Maybe the initial batches didn't have them.
I have a January 2014 manufactured CITY petrol and can confirm that my car does not have holes for the boot lining

How viable is it to drill holes to accommodate the boot lining? The lack of boot lining is a real eyesore every time I open the boot of the car.
It was highly embarrassing when a friend commented that even his “cheap” Etios had boot lining!! My 2006 CITY Zx too had boot lining!

Last edited by Pratyush2407 : 12th May 2019 at 15:27.
Old 12th May 2019, 20:43   #6516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Eagerly waiting for your report on this. This really looks like it could be a very simple & effective DIY for the car. Kudos to your efforts.
Quote:
BTW did the hood insulation make any difference? I too was planning on getting it
Ok. So there is some noise reduction. Especially during idle. However, as the engine rpms build up, I am unable to make out any difference. It is much more silent during standstill, at traffic signals and such. Would I recommend it? For me, I felt it looked more upmarket when the hood was opened. It's your call finally.
nikhn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 21:16   #6517
BHPian

Quote:
Ok. So there is some noise reduction. Especially during idle. However, as the engine rpms build up, I am unable to make out any difference
We mostly notice the engine noise only during idling. Otherwise it's just that sweet, revving purr of the IVTEC. The other sound that gets me irritated is when the rubber-band effect kicks in. Thanks for the update though.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 10:00   #6518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok. So there is some noise reduction. Especially during idle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
We mostly notice the engine noise only during idling. Otherwise it's just that sweet, revving purr of the IVTEC.
I have never bothered with the noise insulation in my City, since at normal city driving RPMs, the engine is super refined and smooth. As the revs build upwards, of 2500 RPM, the induction noise starts to build and that is a sweet, sweet note, perfect for egging you on to pile on more and more revs

At idle and low RPMs, the iVTEC engine is ghostly silent. Like many others have reported, I need to glance at the tachometer to reconfirm that the car is actually on! I just crossed a thousand kilometres, and looking forward to the first oil change and the legendary Honda iVTEC refinement post that.

On another note, what I have really fallen in love with is the responsiveness of the engine at low RPMs, something which I sorely missed in my earlier Swift K12 engine. In the City, all one needs to do is prod the throttle gently and there is a nice linear build up of power right from around 1200RPM in any gear.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 13th May 2019 at 10:01.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 13:59   #6519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I drive a 2016 City CVT. ..when the steering is kept level. ... The SA checked the car and said there wasn't any problem ...
I constantly have to keep the steering a little to the right to continue in straight line.
If there is no alignment issue, just get the steering wheel centered at the service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
....when I pull down the driver side window glass the plastic cladding on the door moves slightly outwards and when I close the window the plastic cladding moves in. Is it something by design to make way for rolling glass or is it an issue?
Quote:
...I even checked a car that was getting delivered from showroom too and it also had the same thing. Now whether this is an issue or not I don't know!
The plastic panel moving in a bit when lowering the window is by design.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 14:31   #6520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
If there is no alignment issue, just get the steering wheel centered at the service center.
Thanks a lot sir! Will get that done in the next service

Quote:
Ok. So there is some noise reduction. Especially during idle. However, as the engine rpms build up, I am unable to make out any difference. It is much more silent during standstill, at traffic signals and such. Would I recommend it? For me, I felt it looked more upmarket when the hood was opened. It's your call finally.
I believe its purely aesthetic! I have turned the cars on an off multiple times mistaking if the engine was actually running or not! running. I do get a clattering noise every time the AC is turned on, said normal by the SA. Well I'll drop the hood insulation as I won't be opening up the hood frequently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratyush2407 View Post
I have a January 2014 manufactured CITY petrol and can confirm that my car does not have holes for the boot lining

How viable is it to drill holes to accommodate the boot lining? The lack of boot lining is a real eyesore every time I open the boot of the car.
It was highly embarrassing when a friend commented that even his “cheap” Etios had boot lining!! My 2006 CITY Zx too had boot lining!
I would suggest you to get velcro strips instead of drilling holes. Yes the holes on the spare ordered will be bit ugly. But it covers up the naked boot though! In the end it's your call
Aravind_M92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 21:42   #6521
BHPian

Quote:
I drive a 2016 City CVT. For the past 6 months I've noticed the car veers to the left when the steering is kept level. Got my tyres changed to Michelin Primacy 4 ST (195/60 R15) 3 months back and the alignment and balancing done with the same. I get the air levels checked every 15 days. This problem was there with old tyres (MRF ZVTV 175/65 R15) as well. I pointed this out during my last service visit in Feb at Sundaram Honda, Madurai. The SA checked the car and said there wasn't any problem with the steering column, suspension or the brake , and told to get balancing and alignment done at a local wheel balancing station as I live a little far from the service center.

I constantly have to keep the steering a little to the right to continue in straight line. I haven't noticed any unusual sounds from the brake or suspension nor any abnormal tyre wear due to constant correction. The alignment centre says that the wheels are well within the alignment limits and not to worry about it. Can someone please help me out with this issue?
This is pure alignment/suspension issue. Please get it checked from the alignment expert. In my experience, things like alignment are too serious to be left to Honda Authorized Centres. Go to tyre and alignment expert and get it checked once just to be 100% sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
My advice is to get it changed right away if it is indeed leaking. And no need to change the other, change only the one with problem.

One more thing, is it not under warranty? It will be changed for free if under warranty. Otherwise of course you have to pay.
Got the shockers changed at Classic Honda Faridabad. SA suggested changing only the one that is leaking. Since I was not sure if I should change both in pairs, I decided to change just one and to observe mechanics for a couple of days. If I find that riding quality is adversely affected, I will get the other one changed this week.

Another observation: It seems despite the shocker assembly can be purchased in accordance with OEM catalogue, wherein several parts like mounting, damper, absorber, bearing etc, are mentioned separately, the ASS insists for a complete change of assembly. When I confronted him why are you insisting for complete change despite the fact that the individual components are part of OEM catalogue, he said it is not possible to change just the one part (in my case, absorber) and the other parts will have to be changed with the assembly. I did not argue with him as it was late evening and I chose to be with my family than to argue with him for hours without any definite results. But just to be sure for next time, does it make sense? If this is true, why OEM catalogue would mention different parts of shocker assembly with different pricing? Smelling rat here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
If what you're trying to say is that the key sign comes on when the car is ON, then obviously the key is faulty since it's the changed one, right?

Some glitch in the reprogramming is not likely because then the car wouldn't start at all. The new hardware seems to be the culprit from what I can logically deduct.

Any which ways, you certainly don't want this to go unchecked and have a possibility of ending up with a perfectly good car refusing to start in some inconvenient place far from home. Get the keymaker to change the fob for you.

P. S. - I've heard of bad quality keys just losing their coding and then the car refusing to start. Not on a Honda though...
Got it checked at ASS today. They have replaced the Push Start Button which was supposedly the culprit. Let's see if the indicator appears again.

Quote:
Another small yet simple DIY.
Interesting, just was curious, a long drive at a stretch say 700 Kms, would that leave the bonnet metal too heated and affect the paint when the car is without hood insulator?

Last edited by SDP : 16th May 2019 at 19:37. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
evilminstrel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 16:35   #6522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilminstrel View Post
Interesting, just was curious, a long drive at a stretch say 700 Kms, would that leave the bonnet metal too heated and affect the paint when the car is without hood insulator?
Ive been seeing a lot of this "hood insulator" discussion in other threads too. I don't know how or where the rumour started but i dont think those things are for heat insulation. If it was, then all cars would have them or have burnt hoods, right? Because all engines generally run at mostly the same temperature. OK, cng cars run slight hotter but not a big enough margin.

As far as logic seems to be, these things are meant to be sound deadeners and not heat busters. For that silkier smooth ride. In the process it might cut off some heat from the hood but that's collateral.
pixantz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 21:06   #6523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Ive been seeing a lot of this "hood insulator" discussion in other threads too. I don't know how or where the rumour started but i dont think those things are for heat insulation.
As far as logic seems to be, these things are meant to be sound deadeners and not heat busters.
Thanks. I don't know why Honda calls it hood insulator. Maybe for the diesel engine it makes quite some noise and this must be reducing that.

In other news, next DIYs are in progress. Two things primarily. One is the sweep style LED indicators for the mirror indicators. Direct OEM fit and no wire cut. Second one being gas struts for the hood. Once the mods are complete, I will update them here.

Also ordered the trunk liner. Will have to do some workaround to fix it without the availability of those 12 holes.
nikhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 19:00   #6524
BHPian

Guys I have been looking for good quality mats for my City that not heavy on pocket too. Went to Noida Sector 16 auto market but most of the shops were closed and the ones that were open had mats that didn't impress me.

Looking for Beige color mats. The old black mats from Santro are the ones I am still using and the mud on those made me feel beige will be better choice.

Saw some noodle mats too that were so called branded mats but none of those were specifically for City but need to be cut from edges to fit.

Also saw some PVC mats but the quality was very bad. Not sure from where to get something good. If anyone has ordered something online please let me know and if you can share the link then nothing like it.

I saw another thread here that has tons of info and I am confused reading about 3M, 3D, 4D, Kagu and what not. Possibly I may have never seen some of those

Seriously need some quick suggestions!
Old 21st May 2019, 16:23   #6525
BHPian

Quote:

Seriously need some quick suggestions!
I bought some cheap-ish mats online (so called 3D mats) worth 1k but I don't like them. There's a metal plate which spoils my shoe soles. I recommend buying offline, but I doubt beige is a good color for India for mats.

On a similar note, I am looking for thick, grippy steering wheel covers for City.

Most Viewed