Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2014, 15:37   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Santa Fe : Official Review

Thanks for the detailed review.

For some reason I always have a feeling that Hyundai Tuscon and now Santa Fe are very much overpriced cars. I think Fortuner has a better brand value and reliability factor, evident from their success and people are happy to spend 25L on it.

The best bet from me on Santa Fe would be 14L or maybe a couple of lacs more. Instead of spending 30L on this car, considering BMW or Merc or Audi (entry segments) would be worth a thought. Hyundai's maintenance cost is almost on par with top segments, so don't see any significance of owning this car in the 30L price bracket.

Again, it is just my opinion on this car. :(

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2014 at 16:29. Reason: Typos & language errors
Sanoop.Patteri is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th March 2014, 15:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Anshuman for the fantastic review, brilliant as usual.

The greatest dampner is the price for a soft road SUV, even the top end Fortuner is priced lower than the bottom end SantaFe. Plus the 185mm GC is akin to sedans.

I think this is a half hearted effort from Hyundai. We have already adverse comments on the rear suspension (like the Verna) and the almost dead steering. Will have to wait and see the sales figure.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 16:27   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely review. I was very skeptical about the new Santa Fe at the outset but Anshuman's detailed review has helped present a more balanced picture in my mind. The value proposition vis-a-vis the (clearly underkitted) Fortuner seems to make more sense now.

Having said that, I would not shell out 30 big ones on a Hyundai, no siree! The first car I bought on my own was a Hyundai Accent and I loved it to death but times have changed now and customers expect and demand a great deal more these days. If they'd tossed in a sunroof and a big satnav-enabled touchscreen, it would make the experience a whole lot sweeter.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 16:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sheel,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

I wanted to see that picture.
That was one snap I didn't take...wish I had.
It wasn't a very happy sight. Probably had scraped or bashed a rock or something hard and there were those plastic shreds hanging below the plate. It was on the front left side.

Quote:
Apart from tires, I think, this is a trait of monocoque SUV's. Experienced it in the Yeti, Captiva & CR-V.
Ahhh...that explains it. Was actually quite mystifying because tyre hum couldn't have lead to that high a racket inside the cabin.

Quote:
General, GTO has summed up. It isn't meant to be drive with abandon, rather with care, to the odd speed breakers, pot holes & humps.
(Why buy a SUV then)?
It was quite a case of bad alignment and to check I let it drift. And drift it did, rather wildly to the left.
But then connecting the dots I guess the hard bash on the rock or whatever, mentioned above, which nearly shredded the skid plate could have been one of the causative factors.

Quote:
Would like to see a comparison of your Fortuner vs a Pajero Sport
Some day !

Last edited by Guderian : 4th March 2014 at 16:47.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 16:58   #20
BHPian

Lovely review. The split pics in the review is a really nice touch, and Guderian's comparo is just the icing on the cake this review needed, since the inevitable question everyone on this thread would have asked it how it stacks up against the T Fort.

As to whether it can make a dent in the sales of the Fortuner, it looks like a tall order specially considering the pricing. What most prospective buyers will think about is the resale value couple of years down the line, and with that logic in mind the Santa Fe might end up being twice as expensive as the Fortuner!

Nevertheless, Hyundai seems to be making the right moves since the past few years now, and a good looking vehicle as Santa Fe will definitely add to the halo effect for the brand if not much sales
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 20:17   #21
BHPian

I was just checking the price of Santafe on Trident Hyundai and was shocked to see the 4WD AT onroad price at 35 lacs!!
Old 4th March 2014, 21:48   #22
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review.

I am not sure why they have to strip the safety features for 2WD variants, especially not happy with curtain airbags and ESC being removed for the price you are paying.

The foot emergency / park brakes are of American specs I believe. I have seen in most of the models which have foot operated parking brakes. Yes, they are not that easy to operate, but hardly a need in an AT. Some models have cool electrical parking brakes that activate via a flip of a button. They are moving the emergency/park to the foot area to create some room and space in the armrest area.

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2014 at 16:32. Reason: Typos & language errors
Sudan_NFS is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th March 2014, 22:56   #23
BHPian

Great review and clarified many important points. Would love to see a Koleos review.

Thanks & regards,

MSR
Old 4th March 2014, 23:20   #24
BHPian

In Bangalore the top end of CRV (2.4L, 4WD, AVN) is almost 4L cheaper than top end Santa-Fe on road! I think the CRV makes a compelling case against the Santa-Fe if someone plans to keep it for long time and has not too high running.

I am dissapointed at Hyundai on skipping the essential safety components on MT variant! A much cheaper elantra has better safety package than Santa-Fe

As an owner of i10 AT, I feel that hyundai service has now become substantially costlier. It costs me a bomb to service my i10 at hyundai authorized service centre. I cringe at the thought of how large a hole Santa Fe could create once freebie services are over.

As per the service costs share by fellow t-bhpians Fortuner shall be much cheaper to own - with better resale when you decide to part ways. Overall I believe that Toyota will be smiling their way to the bank!
smekad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 03:46   #25
BHPian

One of the best looking SUVs on the Road. I have been seeing this over a year in USA, The exterior design is truly global, Hyundai finally came out of the typical Korean looks. Kudos to the Design team.
Old 5th March 2014, 08:06   #26
BHPian

Digest this OTR prices of fortuner vs Santa Fe in bangalore:

Fortuner
4x2AT = 28,49,747/-
4x4MT = 28,82,166/-

Santa Fe
4WD AT = 35,24,256/-
2WD AT = 32,72,341/-

Fortuner 4x2AT is almost 7L cheaper OTR than 4WD AT Santa Fe.
smekad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 08:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

I told a relative of mine to wait for the Santa Fe. They wanted to replace the Innova (Tough! I know.) But now, I am not so sure.

Sadly, the 2WD versions are missing all the essential safety goodies for the price it is commanding. Why is Brake Assist missing from the 2WD versions? And I don't like the fact that the under-body protection and skid-plates are made of plastic. The HU with that micro touchscreen is not a patch on the excellent MID. And 6 speakers is what you get in top end hatchbacks now.

And as .anshuman wrote, I am really puzzled why Hyundai didn't bring the LWB version from the US, the head and leg room on that last row is criminal. Also, the LWB version from US looks stunning! I also like that grille. The one here is gaudy with all that chrome and excessive rake! The AT box also looks very average from the review.

Here is the Santa Fe from the US. The front grille looks elegant. The fog lamps here is better though.
Hyundai Santa Fe : Official Review-santafehyundai2013galleryext800x45002.jpg
Smart rear too!
Hyundai Santa Fe : Official Review-santafehyundai2013galleryext800x45004.jpg
The side profile and looks commanding with those big wheels and bigger quarter glass.
Hyundai Santa Fe : Official Review-santafehyundai2013galleryext800x45010.jpg
This HU is what we should have got here too. The one here would look out of place in an i20 even. Sorry Hyundai, this is not done.
Hyundai Santa Fe : Official Review-santafehyundai2013galleryint800x45011.jpg

Do check out the US version. Looks very impressive! And if you are planning to buy one here, it will be a good idea to not look at the price they are charging there.

Last edited by deetjohn : 5th March 2014 at 08:20. Reason: Adding link.
deetjohn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 08:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I am really puzzled why Hyundai didn't bring the LWB version from the US, the head and leg room on that last row is criminal. Also, the LWB version from US looks stunning! I also like that grille. The one here is gaudy with all that chrome and excessive rake! The AT box also looks very average from the review.

Do check out the US version.[/url] Looks very impressive! And if you are planning to buy one here, it will be a good idea to not look at the price they are charging there.
The version launched here is Sante FE sport in the US. Santa Fe sport has the same grill as the Indian version has.

The price difference is huge between the US and India. I wonder why ? Is this because Santa Fe is CBU ?

The price starts from 25K USD. That is roughly 16L.

Fortuner's brother RAV4 starts from 35K USD, that is roughly 22L. The price difference is a mere 1L.

Last edited by F150 : 5th March 2014 at 08:56.
Old 5th March 2014, 08:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Santa Fe sport has the same grill as the Indian version has.

The price difference is huge between the US and India. I wonder why ? Is this because Santa Fe is CBU ?
The grille from US look different to me. The rake on those horizontal slats is lot lower there and it looks like gunmetal and not chrome. Though I am not too sure on the latter.

The price difference is due to high taxation in India. And the new Santa Fe is CKD, no longer CBU.
Old 5th March 2014, 09:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The grille from US look different to me. The rake on those horizontal slats is lot lower there and it looks like gunmetal and not chrome. Though I am not too sure on the latter.

The price difference is due to high taxation in India. And the new Santa Fe is CKD, no longer CBU.

What is the value addition of having a factory in INDIA which cannot manufacture Santa Fe locally ? India is just a export hub for small cars.
I am pretty sure, that they don't have plans to manufacture it locally any time soon.

Most Viewed