Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2014, 09:58   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
They have indeed. So much so, that I've already seen a couple of rash driven examples.

However, this momentum of sales won't last long. Simply because, the car does not deserve the volumes. The WagonR OR The EON are actually superior.

Consider this- Majority of cars are bought on EMI's. Now- @10-13% Interest, one simply can afford a better car. Now- I'll rather risk spending my hard earned money, on a WagonR or an EON.

The GO is under-engineered. Plain and simple.

Now remember this - A car says a lot about your character. Now picturize what a Datsun GO would tell about you-

"I love cutting costs to such an extent, that I'm called a miser"

But seriously. A Datsun is a car, that when I saw it, I literally fell down with uncontrollable laughter. Simply- How can such an under-engineered car exist?!

Appaling fit & what not. Less said the better.

Things are going worse with the MPV. Imagine, an MPV which is below 4M!:

Cheers!
Wow, so much hate. I wonder whether you've experienced the car before forming such a strongly negative opinion and spewing it . Agreed, a car cannot be liked by everyone but to call it appalling and predict doom for the next car as well....

And I'd really like to know your definition of "under-engineered". I'm sure many technically BHP-ians including the reviewers can clarify your doubts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Front door with bottle holder & door pocket. The driver doesn't get a button to control the passenger's power window. Stretching exercise at toll booths?
Am I to understand that some toll booths dispense tickets from the left side?? Or do you drive the wrong way

Yes, it could be an inconvenience at other times but toll booths? Waiting for you to throw some light bblost!

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th March 2014 at 11:50. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/Multi-Quote feature instead of typing one post after another withing 30 minutes
good.car-ma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 10:26   #62
BHPian

Re: Datsun Go : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
Am I to understand that some toll booths dispense tickets from the left side?? Or do you drive the wrong way
I have seen toll booths dispensing from left side !!

Not just that to add to it just imagine that the person collecting cash and giving away receipt is sitting inside the booth and no one standing outside to collect the cash and pass it on ( like you find at the toll booths in Mumbai). I had to actually pull the hand brake, remove seat-belt, stretch fully to the left pass on the cash
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 10:31   #63
Senior - BHPian

Datsun Go customization/ accessories packages explained (courtesy IAB):

Datsun Go : Official Review-datsungowomenedition.jpg
Quote:
Wonen edition packs extra features such as reverse parking sensor, reverse parking camera, security system, parcel tray, rear and side curtain, cushion kit, mood lighting, foglights, roof rails and body graphics.
Datsun Go : Official Review-datsungofamilypackage1.jpg
Quote:
Added features include carpet mats, PVC luggage mat, art leather seat covers, cushion kit, parcel tray, side curtain and security system.
Datsun Go : Official Review-datsungofamilypackage2.jpg
Quote:
Extra features come in the form of foglights, door visor, body side molding, steering wheel cover, carpet mat, PVC luggage mat, art leather seat cover, cushion kit, parcel tray, side curtain and security system.
Datsun Go : Official Review-datsungosportypackage.jpg
Quote:
A rear spoiler, roof rails, foglights, door visor, alloy wheels, exhaust finisher, body side molding, body graphics, scuff plate with LEDs, art leather seat cover, steering wheel cover and a gear knob leather cover are the features seen here.
Datsun Go : Official Review-datsungotrendypackage.jpg
Quote:
The Trendy gets a reverse parking camera, antenna, parcel tray, audio with smart phone connectivity,rear speaker, glowing Datsun logo and mood lighting.
Datsun Go : Official Review-datsungoessentials.jpg
Quote:
The Essential Pack 1 contains features such as a body cover, splash guard, luggage mat, PVC black mats, fabric seat cover and steering wheel cover. Essential 2 gets a rear parcel tray, carpet mat, remote locking, fabric seat cover and steering wheel cover.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 20th March 2014 at 10:39.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 10:38   #64
Senior - BHPian

Good review-bblost!

I am looking for a small hatch for my wife and I thought this can tick there. Now, I am sure it does not due to the fact that it is too much of a compromise!
Old 20th March 2014, 11:02   #65
BHPian

I have a feeling that Tata now has a great opportunity to establish its Nano in this segment. I hope they get into aggressive marketing and offers to target customers looking for entry level hatchbacks. Other than the young / funky promotion that they are having for Twist, they can go for parallel promotion where the Nano is pitched as a practical city car for small families.
Old 20th March 2014, 11:23   #66
Senior - BHPian

Few people mentioned that this car will do better in rural areas. Do they really mean it? Nissan already has very poor dealer network in India. They have very few dealers all over India. People are struggling to find Nissan dealers in few of the cities as well, forget rural area. So how those people will buy this car is out of my understanding. Rural people in India hardly knows Nissan as a car manufacturer, forget Datsun. People generally buy car when support is available for spares and service, that's why Maruti is No 1 in India.

Example is, Ahmednagar which is a city near Pune and has population of 10 Lacs + has no Nissan dealer. So how will they sell car without dealers?

I don't find this car succeeding in India. After honeymoon period is over, i don't see this car selling even 2K cars per month, forget 8K they are targeting.

Last edited by aniketi : 20th March 2014 at 11:29.
Old 20th March 2014, 11:28   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
Wow, so much hate. I wonder whether you've experienced the car before forming such a strongly negative opinion and spewing it . Agreed, a car cannot be liked by everyone but to call it appalling and predict doom for the next car as well....

And I'd really like to know your definition of "under-engineered". I'm sure many technically BHP-ians including the reviewers can clarify your doubts
Now, now! I advise some restraint, dude.

Have I experienced the car?

-Yes. Reeks of cost cutting, and what not. Compared to a WagonR, this one lags behind, by miles. K10B is preferable, compared to the junk on this.

This car reeked so much of cost cutting, that I had to double check, whether, even a fuel injection system was present, or not. It had one, surprisingly!. Seeing is believing, I say. Have you checked this, might I ask?

UNDERENGINNERED- Cost cutting everywhere. And, I was checking out a Merc W123 240D, just a while, before I saw this crate i.e The Datsun.

Compared to the bucketloads of quality on a 3 Decade old Merc, this one felt.... lets not speak about it, shall we? ITS OBVIOUS.

This nonsense! In 2014! Nissan, do you lack some sense? Saving ₹ at production level, cost cutting, what not!

And, if I'm spewing doom over the next product, the GO+, IT IS JUSTIFIED. Have a look at it. Worse than this one.

Imagine! A sub 4m MPV, with a 3 cylinder engine. No turbo, no nothing. That, my dear fellow, is the GO+

Cheers!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 20th March 2014 at 11:38.
Old 20th March 2014, 11:42   #68
BHPian

Nice review there Bblost! You guys are all outdoing yourself with every review you guys come out with! 5 stars for the thread.

That aside, The Datsun go is quite appealing visually: Minimalistic with no unnecessary badging and smooth curves. The front looks quite good as well. However, i really believe cost cutting should not be at the expense of sacrificing too much comfort or kitting. I believe the engineers here tried their best to come out with an all rounder at this price point. However, a cheap car or not, i expect the NVH to be controlled to some extent. Either you improvise on the motor to reduce NVH or you give it good damping. Neither was done here and i guess it shows.

So this car doesn't seem to excel in all departments but rather, has somewhat of a decent USP: The city car which can double up as a people mover with good space, mileage and somewhat decent comfort.

I don't think one should even compare old cars with the new ones because, i believe the cars coming out today are just plain mass produced whereas earlier cars somehow had this passion from their makers to deliver a car that could satisfy.

Alto wont be pushed off its lofty perch anytime soon and neither will the eon sales too much of a hit. I presume it all depends on the buyers now: Are they willing to take a risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
The car in itself is more than capable of taking on the Alto (if you eliminate the service network for Maruti, alto has no advantage over Go). Go has a proven engine, offers good space, larger size should also translate to better relative safety than the Alto. Families with more than 3 people with height more than 5'8 - 5'9 can buy a car at 3.5 lakhs!!
Car to car, yes, the Go can definitely hold its own against the alto. However, first time car buyers all want only one thing: Peace of mind and a stress free ownership which is what this segment is all about and that is exactly the reason why Maruti Suzuki has been dominating all these years.
I do feel this car has hope and some adventurous soul will end up buying one and letting the world know about this car. Lets see how it goes from here on.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 20th March 2014 at 11:56. Reason: Added a reply instead of a new post since the post could still be edited.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 11:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

I think the car has received more criticizm than it deserved.

I think the space that the car offers can neutralize the cost cutting on the interiors.

And why are we criticizing Nissan for cost-cutting when the market leader has set the trend (Alto and Celerio also demonstrate cost-cutting to the maximum, an 2013 alto doesnt even have a cigarette lighter socket)

The car in itself is more than capable of taking on the Alto (if you eliminate the service network for Maruti, alto has no advantage over Go). Go has a proven engine, offers good space, larger size should also translate to better relative safety than the Alto. Families with more than 3 people with height more than 5'8 - 5'9 can buy a car at 3.5 lakhs!!

Last edited by 2000rpm : 20th March 2014 at 11:51.
Old 20th March 2014, 11:52   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review. Do not have any opinion on any of the perceived positives or negatives except one. The so called 'Connected Seat'. Based on our typical Indian mentality, it will definitely be seen as a 'child seat' and will be used to put kids. I am sure Nissan will be fully aware of it and as mentioned in the review, will be used as a selling point by the dealers. I can understand not providing any safety features, but putting in such a feature in the name of differentiation from competition and then marketing it as something else is a very poor thing to do IMO. With no seat-belt, even a small sudden braking action can be risky. I know our mentality is not to care about safety features (after all this will be much safer than a bike). But taking advantage of that and pushing thorough something that makes it more un-safe is not something I would expect from an reputed brand.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 12:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

A+ review.

I'm of the favor that this car will work with the masses. It's got the right styling and appeal and it's got great fuel efficiency. Although, Datsun is an unknown brand, people will associate it as a low-cost Nissan which should work.

After sales and maintenance will be very important, but since this is a budget car, cost of ownership will be affordable for most.

People want something new - something different from the Eon's and Alto's, and Datsun Go will cater to just that!
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 12:15   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Now, now! I advise some restraint, dude.

Have I experienced the car?

-Yes. Reeks of cost cutting, and what not. Compared to a WagonR, this one lags behind, by miles. K10B is preferable, compared to the junk on this.

This car reeked so much of cost cutting, that I had to double check, whether, even a fuel injection system was present, or not. It had one, surprisingly!. Seeing is believing, I say. Have you checked this, might I ask?

UNDERENGINNERED- Cost cutting everywhere. And, I was checking out a Merc W123 240D, just a while, before I saw this crate i.e The Datsun.

Compared to the bucketloads of quality on a 3 Decade old Merc, this one felt.... lets not speak about it, shall we? ITS OBVIOUS.

This nonsense! In 2014! Nissan, do you lack some sense? Saving ₹ at production level, cost cutting, what not!

And, if I'm spewing doom over the next product, the GO+, IT IS JUSTIFIED. Have a look at it. Worse than this one.

Imagine! A sub 4m MPV, with a 3 cylinder engine. No turbo, no nothing. That, my dear fellow, is the GO+

Cheers!
Cost cutting? What do you expect from a 3.12 lakh car? GPS Navigation with touch screen AC controls??

I think more than "under-engineered" it is smartly engineered. People who are looking at a cramped and insipid-drive Alto or Eon would be relieved to get such a big car at this price. Maybe these people are not as bothered with wood finish or Auto AC or leather seats as some of us are because they DON'T need it. If it suits their needs its great engineering right?!

And I still don't understand your issue with Go+. Look at the best selling sub 4m non-turbo 800cc MPV in India....yes OMNI!!

Datsun may not be ideal for you but that doesn't mean its a failure by any means. And it definitely doesn't deserve the premature hate its getting not only from you but from so many others. Let's wait, watch and give it a chance
good.car-ma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 12:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

I believe that while users are allowed to vote for the review, its high time they should also be allowed to vote for the Car on a scale of 1 to 5 or even better 1 to 10.
This will automatically generate the ratings for any car from the pov of T-BHPians.
This poll should be put on the official review page of all the launches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The Datsun Go has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 3.12 - 3.69 lakhs (ex-Delhi)
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 12:57   #74
Senior - BHPian

Zigwheels have uploaded an article on the car's maintenance schedule, warranties & costs. Here is link to the same:

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...plained/18122/

Parting Note:

Quote:
over a period of three years, a Datsun Go owner should spend close to Rs 8,000 on maintenance cost excluding fuel. Over five years this maintenance cost for the Datsun Go will rise to about Rs 15,000 and over 10 years, the cost of servicing and maintaining a Go would cross Rs 30,000.
This is quite reasonable & a plus for buying the car IMO.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 13:02   #75
Senior - BHPian

Just for my knowledge sake (I'm not aware), how many cars provide unlimited warranty in the segment or near by? Not that anybody is going to outrun the life of a petrol car in two years, and that the fine print need to be verified for a level playing ground.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks