Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2014, 18:27   #16
BHPian

Excellent review, feel confident on my purchase after reading this review. I booked my car on 12th March itself.

The car offers excellent package, as most of my driving will be in city, I don't think under powered Diesel engine will cause any issue to me.

I will be getting the delivery on coming Sunday, it's red top optional variant.
raviacc2825 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 18:30   #17
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Awesome review, as always!

The quality Hyundai manages to bring at its price point is beyond belief.
Th Xcent(still believe it's a stupid name) is guaranteed to be a success IMO.

Also, for some reason I prefer the looks of the Xcent to the Grand i10, which is never the case with these hatchback bases <4m saloons.
nipcarlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 18:42   #18
BHPian

Awesome review of Xcent, parrys. Was waiting for the complete review by our TBHP team and as promised, delivered on 10th April. Kudos. Just now got a call from one of the dealers to test drive the vehicle. Just dying to lay my hands on her... Kudos

A well deserved 5* rating
Old 10th April 2014, 18:44   #19
BHPian

Excellent review @ parrys

Rated it well deserved 5 Stars

The competition is certainly hotting up in 4m compact sedan category which started with Tata indigo ECS, Maruti Suzuki Swift desire, Honda Amaze and now Hyundai Xcent.

Though Tata's much awaited Zest should add charm to this category and more options to confuse the buyers.

Hyundai has done exceptionally well with Xcent and i am sure with all bells & whistles on offer, it gives excellent VFM proposition to the buyers.

Only down side is Airbag and ABS are optional even on top end model. At-least standard ABS in diesel variant would have been good considering the fact that competition like Honda Amaze and Toyota Etios offers it.

Hope Hyundai listens this plead and starts offering safety along with features right from the middle variant.
Old 10th April 2014, 19:26   #20
BHPian

Fantastic review Parrys. Brilliant write up and presentation
Hyundai now has an exceptional offering to boast of in the compact sedan segment notwithstanding a potential cannibalization of i20s. I was pleasantly surprised by the fit and finesse of the dashboard when I TD Grand i10. Interior quality has been a deal breaker for Honda Amaze which Xcent scores high on. I wonder how Hyundai packs so much at such a price point. Kudos to the designers at Hyundai R&D(Hyderabad). I have learnt that they are the brains behind Hyundai's India focussed i10 Grand and Xcent. So proud of the Hyderabad connect that I coudn't help but notice Hyderabad Airport and Airport road featured in Xcent TV ad

Last edited by prancinstallion : 10th April 2014 at 19:46.
prancinstallion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 19:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
The diesel's ARAI rating is 24.4 kpl. That's a kpl more than the Maruti Dzire's 23.4 rating and 0.4 kpl more than the Grand i10. We'd put the difference to the Grand i10 down to varying test conditions.

The ARAI rating of the Xcent petrol is 19.1 kpl, that's 0.2 kpl more than the Grand i10's 18.9 rating. It is hard to say whether the addition of a boot has made the car more aerodynamic, or if it just depends on the testing conditions.

Thanks to BHPian RSR for pointing this out: The SX (O) might be riding higher than the regular variants by ~10 mm. Reason? The unusually high difference in its tyre diameter (175/60 R15) compared to the lower variants (165/65 R14).
Considering we don't have any other logical explanation for the higher FE numbers in sedan, isn't there a high chance that the FE figures for Xcent could also be inflated due to the speedo/odometer error between the tyre specs? It could be calibrated for the tyre spec of the high end variant but tested with the skinnier lower end tyre spec.

Thoughts?

Last edited by zenren : 10th April 2014 at 19:31.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 19:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Good first hand impression of the Xcent. I recently saw one on my trip to Munnar and honestly when I was overtaking the car, I did not feel the need to have a second look at the car, I guess the design is such that it would not stand out in the crowd and honestly, that may be the intention too.

On the review, why is it that only the top end is reviewed and not the mid and basic variants? I have had this question from long and hence thought of posting it here. I agree that the other variants are mentioned, but I guess that doesnt qualify as a review. May be something to look up to in the future.

PS - The above is purely my personal opinion and I own a Dzire
Old 10th April 2014, 20:12   #23
BHPian

Hyundai has created a winner here. Xcent stands out from the Dzire by being a well proportioned car with a "please all" design. This sub 4 metre sedan pips the Amaze with great interiors. This is Hyundai's "city" in the sub 4 metre segment. I am sure Honda will be forced to come up with better interiors for the Amaze. We'll now wait for the sales figures for the coming months to see the battle heating up.
Old 10th April 2014, 20:15   #24
BHPian

Thanks for the awesome review parrys. To be honest, I saw the reviews for the Xcent on other motoring website and was wondering why hasn't it appeared on T-BHP yet. Well, the reason is there to see - A complete, detailed, no-stone-unturned review. Honestly, it was well worth the wait. Kudos!!!.

Hyundai seems to have hit the perfect note of the Indian car buying scene. The Xcent seems to be a well rounded and practical sedan and as mentioned the boot does not seem quirky a-la dezire. The quality, fit and finish have never been an issue with Hyundai and glad to see it continue. Pleasing to know that the Old Hyundai bumpy suspension has been addressed.

But the absence of MID with DTE will be sorely missed IMO. While almost all the competitors are equipping their vehicles with it, I don't get why Hyundai is turning blind eye on this aspect on most of their cars like i20, elantra etc.
That said the makers have introduced a lot of segment firsts which I feel will negate the above.
Waiting for the review on AT and the sales figures to see how well Hyundai has made its mark on the sub-4 Meter sedan segment.
Once again thanks for an absolutely superb review.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 20:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

This car has all features and manners of cars one segment above.

The Only concern i feel is the inability to easily upgrade the HU and fit an aftermarket Caska. This definetly has the appeal of an aspirational car. It should dent the sales of the Dzire and Amaze for sure, not to mention Indigo CS and other premium hatchbacks. Waiting for the June sales figures to predict the success of the vehicle. It already has ICOTY 2014 written all over it .

- If Hyundai can use the same platform / panels / parts and do an MUV out of it, it should fly out of the showrooms pushing all Ertigas and Mobilios away, even if priced 1-2 lacs more than Ertiga.
Old 10th April 2014, 22:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

If Hyundai can use the same platform / panels / parts and do an MUV out of it, it should fly out of the showrooms pushing all Ertigas and Mobilios away, even if priced 1-2 lacs more than Ertiga.
Personally I would like that too, but spare the integrated head rests. I find the driver seating more comfortable in Brio/Amaze when compared to Grand/Xcent.

My SA from Advaith Hyundai, Banglore mentioned that the MUV is going to be based on i20 platform and it will come only in 2016.
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 22:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
. It already has ICOTY 2014 written all over it .
I predicted it in last year's COTY thread about this year's winner.

Now, I'm actually having second thoughts as the competition is not as easy as I thought back in December - you've got Maruti Celerio and Honda City already in the competition list with more launches like Maruti Ciaz, Tata Bolt/Zest, Ford Figo hatch and sedan, Honda Mobilio etc also likely before the end of the year. Its going to be a closer battle this year than anything we've seen in recent years unless something that I've missed gets launched and takes another clean sweep.

Last edited by zenren : 10th April 2014 at 22:11.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 22:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a complete package delivered from Hyundai in the CS arena.
Why don't the rear seats fold at all? Any reason behind that?
Would have been better if all variants had optional ABS/Airbags.
Old 10th April 2014, 22:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review...I was earlier skeptical about the 3 pot mill, but my doubts were very much put to rest after a short TD. Booked mine(S option) on 31st March, hope i get it by 1st week of May. Any ideas about the total no of bookings.
Old 10th April 2014, 23:18   #30
BHPian

Was that blue xcent repainted? Quite visible orange peel and what looks to me (marked in red) as bubbles in paint.

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-xcent.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks