Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2015, 18:22   #331
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

To me a buying decision was largely based on value for money. An Xcent is more car per rupee spent. The bells and whistles, the refined AT engine, the loads of features - all made for a decision easier than I thought. Although Maruti fellows did make several calls for Desire AT but for us Hyundai scored over Honda Amaze mainly on value for money. Looks can be subjective. For us, 13 years ago, Opel Sail was a sedately designed car. I did like Honda Amaze's design to be a shade better but that was about all. Modern cars also need to have modern technology, gadgets, reminders, alerts and the like.

To think of it, my 10.4L worth of Ertiga top end does not have a ACC, bluetooth, reverse camera or even a cooled glovebox - all of which the Xcent has.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 13th January 2015, 19:02   #332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Well, 5 cannot travel even once together!
Got the oppurtunity for taking three people in the rear seat last week when we had to attend a marriage function. Me and my friend were seated at the front, while my father, mother and wife were seated on the rear seat. We always had the option of taking the Punto out, but picked the Xcent purely for checking the rear seat.

And - it seems they were not disappointed. Wife commented that the space is at par with the Punto, although the seats themselves felt a little thin. A/c vents at the rear did a good job, but the temperature had to be lowered to around 20 degrees for immediate cooling (We usually set it at 24). Legroom as expected was more than enough even with the front seats pushed back for my tall friend. Transmission tunnel is not intrusive as well and the person at the center also felt ok keeping her feet firm on the floor.

Note - All three are of medium build. The benchmark here is the rear seat of the Punto which is not the segment-best. Zest will defenitly be better. But from my experience- I wouldn't think twice about taking three people in the rear seats more often.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th January 2015 at 19:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 21:53   #333
JD1
BHPian

Did Hyundai kill the S(O) AT? I remember it being offered till last month but now I don't see it in the price list. It doesn't matter to me personally since I have shortlisted on SX(O) AT but if this is a permanent change, that would give one less option to AT buyers (unless they switch that variant over to diesel).
Old 13th January 2015, 23:30   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Got the oppurtunity for taking three people in the rear seat last week

And - it seems they were not disappointed.
Glad to hear that Xcent serves your requirement! Cheers!
For me, it didn't.

I had a Swift VDi and it was a comfortable 3 adults seater. We wanted something same or better!
Zest made my family and my budget smile!
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 00:07   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarsw View Post

This is consecutively third month, sale of xcent going down and down.
Don’t know why such a competent car not making good numbers against dzire and amaze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
IMO, Xcent's rear is such an ugly one - worse than DZire Tour's. The good good-looking Grand i10's rear became the worst of the lot.
IMO, this is due to overlap among Grand i10, Elite i20 and Xcent. Elite i20 is much better in built, fit and finish than Grand i10/Xcent. Even seats are better than Grand i10/Xcent. The only advantage of Xcent over both the hatches is boot space and may be in offering slightly more airy interior. Elite I20 has 285 ltrs. boot space which is not bad at all. Elite i20 seems to have captured some sales from Xcent, which is not bad IMO. Elite i20 is actually a superior product.

Diesel Xcent has lethargic performance and for petrol, Elite offers a more "premium" status. Unless one needs to use that boot space, buyers are better off with either Grand i10 or Elite i20. I myself have advised those who consulted me to go for Elite i20 over Xcent, specially for petrol buyers. Grand i10 petrol is quick, but there is not much to differentiate between Xcent and Elite i20 as far as performance with petrol motor goes. And I do agree that Xcent looks a bit odd from behind, mainly the tail light design when viewed from rear ( not rear 3 quarter view ). Xcent loses to competition when it comes to performance, be it petrol or diesel ( the diesel more so ).
Old 16th January 2015, 14:28   #336
BANNED

Mind rules this time..

I got my Xcent S(O) petrol on 10 Jan from Sanjay Hyundai. Satisfied with the buying experience.

[IMG]C:\Users\sp75301\Desktop\my Xcent.jpg[/IMG]

I was looking for petrol car with good boot space for my long highway trips within 6.5 lacs. Before coming to Xcent,
i have considered Dzire vxi, Zest Xms, Elite i20 magna.

1. Dzire Vxi: Good car, no complaints about look and space, but no saftey features. Petrol engine is very good in performance and FE.
2. Zest Xms: VFM car with all safety ABS & airbags. Good ride, handling space, but turbocharged petrol engine is not yet proven for reliabilty.
3. Elite i20 Magna: Killer look, very good fit and finish, but no safety features in magna and upper versions is out of budgets. Also I think kappa2
is inadeuate for such a heavy car.
4. Xcent S(o) petrol: It clicks most of my needs like
A. Very good boot with 407 litre.
B. Atleast ABS is available for Safety.
c. Bluetooth Telephony, decent music system.
D. Alloy Wheels (Not a diamond cut).
E. Rear Defogger
F. Fog lamps looks good.
G. Interior quality is very good compared competition.
H. within my budget of 6.5 lacs.
I. Hoping good FE on highway.
J. Best legroom avaialble for rear seat.

My heart was always towards zest but this time mind wins over heart and I goes to Hyundai Xcent S(O).

Though this is very good family car but few shortcomings as
1. Rear seat is only for 2 adults and one kid.
2. Urgent brakes, they should be progressive in nature.
pawarsw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 03:31   #337
Team-BHP Support

Nowadays, we take features for granted in this segment. Was working from my hometown for three weeks during the new year period during which I was mainly using the Xcent for all city trips.

Came back to bangalore this week, and took my friend's Fortuner AT for a service today. Also checked out the new Fortuner 4*4 AT. I was reminded of how much Hyundai has changed the game recently with respect to features and quality. For the record, the Fortuner costs more than 34 lakhs on road in bangalore, and the Xcent SX(o) AT should cost about 9!

Things that I missed in the Fortuner compared to the past three weeks with the Xcent.
  • No true keyless entry.
  • No foldable keyfob either.
  • No start-stop button.
  • No auto-dimming IRVMs.
  • No auto-folding ORVMs
  • No Reverse parking sensors.
  • Reverse camera is present, but the display on the headunit is nowhere close to the crisp display on the Hyundai ECM IRVM.
  • Manual mode for the AT. Although the torque from the 3L engine more than makes up for it, I sometimes wish if I could hold the gears.

The only real feature I would like to see added from the Fortuner was the cruise control. Hopefully, Hyundai will introduce that as well at some point.

Its a good feeling to step into a vehicle priced almost 4 times that of your own, and come back with a new found respect for your small car.

PS - I know its a hugely capable truck which cannot in anyway compared to a compact sedan. The above comments are only about the additional features.
Old 20th January 2015, 14:25   #338
BHPian

When is the 1.4 d xcent expected to launch? Will it fall in the same price bracket of the existing diesel car?
Old 27th January 2015, 23:11   #339
BHPian

I am planning to go for the xcent automatic and wanted to confirm if this issue is sorted?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...mes-loose.html

Also found this problem that is there with 1.2 kappa - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...undai-i20.html

Has Hyundai admitted that their car faces this problem and has issued a recall?
Old 28th January 2015, 13:29   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
I am planning to go for the xcent automatic and wanted to confirm if this issue is sorted?

Also found this problem that is there with 1.2 kappa - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...undai-i20.html

Hi

Several of us have driven it over long distances and not faced this issue.

Here is a link to a 2200 kms journey in it recently

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...nt-sx-o-6.html

Hope this helps your decision.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 28th January 2015, 21:04   #341
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post

My Xcent automatic has crossed 3K kms so far and I have not observed this issue any time. In fact, did not face any issues so far. The car just feels and runs great.
Old 30th January 2015, 14:02   #342
Senior - BHPian

After a couple of late night short highway trips, I feels strongly that I need to upgrade the headlights. Should I use a relay and upgrade the lamps or switch to Osram Nightbreakers / Phillips ExtremeVision?
I am quite concerned about warranty issues if I upgrade.
Old 30th January 2015, 14:36   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
After a couple of late night short highway trips, I feels strongly that I need to upgrade the headlights. Should I use a relay and upgrade the lamps or switch to Osram Nightbreakers / Phillips ExtremeVision?
I am quite concerned about warranty issues if I upgrade.
I upgraded to Osram 60/55W (in Grand i10 ) from the stock Halonix 60/55W and the difference is noticeable. The wires powering the bulbs are very slim, I was wondering if they are on threshold of their capacity. Adding higher wattage bulbs even with Relay is not something I would recommend. Also, higher wattage bulbs are above legal limit of 60/55W for 12V vehicle system.

No concrete warranty details available, but 100/90W would surely give Hyundai an opportunity for not honoring warranty.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 17:01   #344
BHPian

Recently approved!

Just wanted to say, my Xcent (S) petrol is over 12,000 km. Bought early May. Did 2nd service about a month back. I plan to write an ownership review and 2 travelogues soon.

My Dad uses Xcent for daily commute. No problem so far except he has already damaged the under cladding of front bumper (replaced, Rs 600), and "cracked" the structure plastic behind front bumper which supports frontal components. No immediate plans for replacement though, cost ~10k

We don't know exact reason behind the damage. There was one instance when dad drove past a deep pot hole hidden under logged water during rains, which might be the reason.

2 Family trips (5 adults!!). One weekend trip to Shimla (Resort in Summer Hill), when it was my first time drive on hills.

Other one was recently, again weekend trip to Jaipur, only visited nearby villages for shopping This is my first long drive, but it felt very short for my capacity. The high speed, highway and city drive in Xcent would also be highlighted in travelogue.

I just need little motivation and "Time" to frame these topics.
Old 30th January 2015, 20:59   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashir View Post
No problem so far except he has already damaged the under cladding of front bumper (replaced, Rs 600), and "cracked" the structure plastic behind front bumper which supports frontal components. No immediate plans for replacement though, cost ~10k
Does Hyundai provides engine bay protector as an additional item? This is kinda concern for me. I am so much used to roughly handling my Punto on the potholes that I am scared of damaging the xCent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks