Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2015, 22:56   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arishi1 View Post
Does Hyundai provides engine bay protector as an additional item? This is kinda concern for me. I am so much used to roughly handling my Punto on the potholes that I am scared of damaging the xCent.
They showed us the part after lifting up the car. And to explain the crack, they showed a separate damaged piece. I guess they do offer it as an additional item.

They did gave us a rough estimate as 9-10k for replacing it.
Old 1st February 2015, 21:15   #347
BHPian

Mods: Sorry for back to back post. Please merge.

Regarding engine bay protector, I am sorry I mistook it for some other part. The engine bay protector is not provided at all, as far as I am aware of.

Also, today I had a talk with my friend regarding the issue of the cracked part. We both had done internship in r n d of some automobile industry. The grand i10 was launched during the internship, which was brought up for benchmarking purposes. It was ripped apart as the standard procedure.

My friend told me, it was found that in grand i10 that all of the engine and radiator mounts are made of plastic, earlier models had steel. The quality of plastic tested was found to be very inferior and some of the employees quoted as the mounts would not last much longer than 6-7months due to creep!

I wonder if Xcent shares the same problem, it being carried foreword from grand i10. And I now have a doubt regarding the failure of the plastic mount might be linked to it.

I'll ask my dad to get the photographs clicked of the damaged part. Till then I would like to get other's views regarding the same.

PS. I mean no harm to Hyundai and its obvious sufficient research is done before a product is launched.

There is also possibility that this information might be exaggerated but it needs to be cleared.
Old 1st February 2015, 23:35   #348
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashir View Post

1) Regarding engine bay protector, I am sorry I mistook it for some other part. The engine bay protector is not provided at all, as far as I am aware of.

2) Also, today I had a talk with my friend regarding the issue of the cracked part.

My friend told me, it was found that in grand i10 that all of the engine and radiator mounts are made of plastic, earlier models had steel. The quality of plastic tested was found to be very inferior and some of the employees quoted as the mounts would not last much longer than 6-7months due to creep!

I wonder if Xcent shares the same problem, it being carried foreword from grand i10. And I now have a doubt regarding the failure of the plastic mount might be linked to it.

I'll ask my dad to get the photographs clicked of the damaged part. Till then I would like to get other's views regarding the same.

There is also possibility that this information might be exaggerated but it needs to be cleared.
As this discussion or rather the above post includes Grand i10, I would post a few points.

1) There is no engine guard in my Feb 2014 Grand i10 diesel.

2) Plastic radiator mounts are not uncommon. The type of radiator used in modern day cars is "Plastic Tank Aluminum Radiator". The radiator core is Aluminum, top and bottom tank are Plastic which are crimped to radiator core. Plastic mounts could be there as the weight of radiator itself is very less. Even the Fan guard ( also referred to as fan shroud, or Cowl ) could be of plastic. This overall less weight can lead to plastic mounts for radiator.

My concern is with Plastic engine mounts, atleast the diesel Grand i10 does not have plastic engine mounts, I have checked my Feb 2014 Grand i10. However, not sure of supplier after my purchase. Please post more images as this would help us get a much clear picture of what part is being discussed.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 15:17   #349

Recently bought a Hyundai Xcent SX(O) petrol. thanks to reviews on Tbhp. its now 4mths and has done about 5K Kms. absolutely love the car,truly value for money,was using a Ritz Ldi and was a Maruti man but i guess you should use a Hyundai to know the difference !!!. All said and done waiting for Hyundai service Cost and Labour to give a full update on the car.

P.S so far have not noticed any steering issues,Brakes are a bit abrupt anyways getting used to them. mileage about 17 to 18k average. car is a bit under rated generally on performance on Tbhp !!! Maybe Hyundai bashing,whatever, it ticks all important boxes!!!! I test drove the Diesel version and performance was okay for the congested roads of Kerala .

Mod Note : Please use proper punctuation, & use only 2 smileys & avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th February 2015 at 18:15. Reason: Please use proper punctuation, & use only 2 smileys & avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Old 8th February 2015, 18:44   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
As this discussion or rather the above post includes Grand i10...

...My concern is with Plastic engine mounts, at least the diesel Grand i10 does not have plastic engine mounts, I have checked my Feb 2014 Grand i10. However, not sure of supplier after my purchase. Please post more images as this would help us get a much clear picture of what part is being discussed.
Went home this weekend. Sorry couldn't get a clear view of part I was talking about. The car requires to be lifted to see the part. But found another "Crack" when viewed from engine bay.

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-20150206-13.48.00.jpg

I am not sure if it is due to the same bump. The crack in the plastic mount I was referring to, was also approximately at the same location.

When I threw tantrums at my Dad for his handling, he snubbed me saying "Kuch to hona chahiye taki nazar na lag jaye"

Regarding engine mount, what I found are steel/aluminium mounts only. Maybe my friend was mistaken or just exaggerated the situation. I would explore further under the car in its next visit to service station. This weekend I was busy with my WagonR repairs and some DIY stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoepaulp View Post
Recently bought a Hyundai Xcent SX(O) petrol. thanks to reviews on Tbhp. its now 4mths and has done about 5K Kms. absolutely love the car,truly value for money,was using a Ritz Ldi and was a Maruti man but i guess you should use a Hyundai to know the difference !!!. All said and done waiting for Hyundai service Cost and Labour to give a full update on the car.
Congratulations for your new car! Keep reving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoepaulp View Post
... Brakes are a bit abrupt anyways getting used to them...
Yeah, they are but after getting used to them, they only make you more confident.
Ashir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 23:51   #351
BHPian

Hello guys,

i have booked a Xcent 1.2 base without test drive.

Actually this car will be use by my parents mostly in city and occasional intercity travel.

How is the performance of Xcent 1.2 ?
Is this OK to drive for 500/600 KM in a day with 4/5 persons + luggage ?

What should i check before delivery in addition with TBHP PDI check list.
Old 13th February 2015, 12:09   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Hello guys,

i have booked a Xcent 1.2 base without test drive.

Actually this car will be use by my parents mostly in city and occasional intercity travel.

How is the performance of Xcent 1.2 ?
Is this OK to drive for 500/600 KM in a day with 4/5 persons + luggage ?

What should i check before delivery in addition with TBHP PDI check list.
Very comfy car to to drive with reasonably light (not overtly light) steering, light clutch and precise braking. Low end torque is a bit lacking but nothing that can't be lived with.

Best part for me is the fuel efficiency - always hovering between 12.5-13.5 kmpl under city conditions with AC.

My only grouse with this car is the bumpy ride. With 1.2 Base and S model the 13 inch tyres are the culprit i suppose, because the top end SX rides much better than the lower variants.
Old 16th February 2015, 07:46   #353
BHPian

1. Can someone confirm whether Hyundai Xcent has a pure mechanical cable clutch, or is it assisted by fluid?

The reason is that I am planning to upgrade from my old Hyundai i10 to Xcent, and the clutch is a sore point in Hyundai i10 after it gets aged. I've got my full clutch assembly replaced (sometime in 2013, costed me 11k), but it still hasn't returned to its original light feel.

I did test drive Xcent SX(O) Petrol, and the clutch was super light. But that was the same case when I bought Hyundai i10 too when it was brand new. The sales folk who accompanied me from VTJ Hyundai, Kochi couldn't immediately answer that question and he is yet to confirm me back on the same.

2. The automatic climate control did its job well, but we did the test drive in the evening and by then darkness has already spread. My doubt is that when we set the temperature to 21C, the cabin is comfortable, but it actually doesn't feel like 21C but somewhere like 26C in room air conditioner. Is the temperature display up on the ACC anything closer to actual cabin temperature ?

I know that the display is actually the desired cabin temperature we set, so while the compressor is working to achieve that, it may not actually be the real cabin temperature. But I could feel the compressor switching off. After that I would assume it has reached the desired temperature. Hence the question.
Old 16th February 2015, 13:00   #354
BANNED

Hi,

Can anybody tell me about ideal initial running in speed and kilometers.

Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 08:40   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarsw View Post
Hi,

Can anybody tell me about ideal initial running in speed and kilometers.

Thanks
I hope this solves your query.

http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/how-run-your-new-car
Ashir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 13:42   #356
Senior - BHPian

As I mentioned before, I am planning to upgrade my headlamps. I was thinking of Philips xtremevision +130 from powerbulbs. Link here:http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/ph...on-130-h4-twin
Does the xcent need h4, h1 or h7 lamps? I haven't yet looked at the manual.
Old 27th February 2015, 14:16   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
As I mentioned before, I am planning to upgrade my headlamps. I was thinking of Philips xtremevision +130 from powerbulbs. Link here:http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/ph...on-130-h4-twin
Does the xcent need h4, h1 or h7 lamps?
Going by the headlamp design, it should be the H4 since H7 and H1 are single filament bulbs (H4 = dual filament) and the two are used together inside a headlight housing (for low and high beams).

I suggest you stick with 100/90W bulbs instead of 130/100W in case you are opting for a higher wattage rating. 130/100 bulbs are known to blacken the headlight’s chrome reflectors in the long run and might sometimes melt the reflectors around the bulb due to the excessive heat dissipated during the usage. Most reflectors can stand 100/90W. They are more than sufficient for your daily night drives.

Quote:
I haven't yet looked at the manual.
Suggest you read it then.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 17:10   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the xcent need h4, h1 or h7 lamps? I haven't yet looked at the manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Going by the headlamp design, it should be the H4 since H7 and H1 are single filament bulbs (H4 = dual filament) and the two are used together inside a headlight housing (for low and high beams).

I suggest you stick with 100/90W bulbs instead of 130/100W in case you are opting for a higher wattage rating.
The legal limit for 12V system is 60W to the best of my knowledge. For 24V system, its 75W.
Grand i10/Xcent have dual filament ( i.e. one bulb has filaments for both, low and high beam ) bulb, H4 and its 60/55W.

I think 100W bulbs are way too much for the electrical system of Grand i10/Xcent. Please stick with 60/55W which also stays in legal limit. I am also not satisfied with lights in my grand i10, but I simply changed the bulb and things did improve a bit.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 17:46   #359
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the quick responses. The xtremevision bulbs are 60/55 and legal. The +130 refers to their claim that it is 130% more light that it emits. It is supposed to be better than osram night breakers.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 01:47   #360
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The Xtreme Vision from Philips and Night Breaker from Osram are indeed legal 60/55 bulbs. These certainly emit more light than normal bulbs of the same wattage, though not to the extent claimed by the manufacturers. The downside is reduced filament life compared to normal bulbs. Yellowish light is good in all conditions and better than whitish or bluish ones.

I, too, would recommend going for Xtreme Visions or Night Breakers instead of installing bulbs of higher wattage. Switching on the fog lamps when better illumination is required (even in non-foggy conditions) would also help to a good extent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks