Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2015, 03:51   #361
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
As I mentioned before, I am planning to upgrade my headlamps. I was thinking of Philips xtremevision +130 from powerbulbs.

Does the xcent need h4, h1 or h7 lamps? I haven't yet looked at the manual.
I am in the same boat as you are in.

My Swift is running on Philips XV since initial days. Yesterday morning the right side low beam fused so was sourced to revert to stock OEM ones (Osram Bilux- 60/55W). It feels like driving with a candle!

Did a lot searching but all stores say sold out. After discussion with a BHPian on this issue, have decided to get Philips Rally (100/90W) with the kit (Amps, Relay, wiring, ceramic holder etc) either from Hella or Roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
These certainly emit more light than normal bulbs of the same wattage, though not to the extent claimed by the manufacturers.
As claimed at 130% more light, which IMO isn't correct, it would be 30-40% more light than OEM bulbs.

I love Philips XV than Osram NB. Philips are much better, sharper and cleaning in throw as compared to Osram NB. Downside is life is sacrificed.
Old 28th February 2015, 13:34   #362
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
As claimed at 130% more light, which IMO isn't correct, it would be 30-40% more light than OEM bulbs.

I love Philips XV than Osram NB. Philips are much better, sharper and cleaning in throw as compared to Osram NB. Downside is life is sacrificed.
30-40% increase does sound realistic. The claims made by those manufacturers sound too tall.

Having said that, I also think the increase would greatly depend on the headlamp reflector design and related factors. I believe the increase would be significantly more in a pair of large, roundish, well-designed headlamp reflectors than poorly designed (i.e. from a functional point of view), narrow, slot-like headlamp reflectors found on some cars.

I believe Philips XV has a more yellowish light output than Osram NB/NB+. This would also play a big factor in providing better visibility under varied conditions (lit streets, heavy rain, wet tar, fog etc.) than the NB/NB+ which emits more whitish light. Yellowish light output may be very common and plain Jane, but there is no doubt that it provides better illumination than the whitish and bluish ones (which are better on the bling factor but poorer in terms of illumination).

Last edited by RSR : 28th February 2015 at 13:38.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 14:00   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Quote:
30-40% increase does sound realistic. The claims made by those manufacturers sound too tall.
I think that the manufacturers consider the percentage increase in the luminosity of bulbs to substantiate their tall claims. For eg. a 200 lumen bulb is not twice as brighter as a 100 lumen bulb. In the same way, in the real world, 130% more light will not mean the light becoming brighter by 2.3 times.

In the real world, it is actually a tall claim because the perception of brightness is logarithmic. Also manufacturers measure the light as “Emitter Lumens” and not by “Out-the Front” (OTF) because OTF rating measures the light after it has passed through the reflector and lens and generally there is a 40%-45% light loss when comparing OTF to emitter lumens.

Hence, manufacturers will chose to advertise the emitter lumens rather than OTF. Also, since this gives a higher percentage increase from the stock lamp, most people fall in the trap. Also, beam pattern of different lamps can affect visibility irrespective of them being of same or different lumens. I remember that my failed Philips headlamp bulb of by bike used to light up the road better as it had a better beam pattern than the Halonix one that I am using now. Just to share my experience.

Thanks!
Saket

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd March 2015 at 10:22. Reason: As requested
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2015, 12:02   #364
Senior - BHPian

Is the price on powerbulbs of 20£ reasonable. I have purchased from them before.
Is there any way of getting the bulbs - I stay on a small city and can't get it here.
I hope I don't get hit with duty if I buy it from powerbulb
Old 9th March 2015, 20:16   #365

I own a xcent automatic sx(o) manufactured in april 2014. Could someone throw some light on extended warranties for the xcent automatic variants.
Authorised service centre here in Chandigarh aren't sure and aren't helping much, so they say it's not available for automatics yet.
Another request, I have got the dreaded engine check light on thrice in the past 9 months, on checking with G-scan thrice the error code was the same (downstream O2 sensor).
ERROR CODE : P0141 O2 SENSOR HEATER CIRCUIT (BANK 1 / SENSOR 2)
Has anyone faced the same problem.
On diagnosing the issue for the third time, a query was put forth to Hyundai from the service centre and Hyundai advised the centre, to solder a wire connection (O2 sensor) under the hood, which they reckon was loose. This had been done after the light came for the third time last week. The warning light kept coming after periods of 2 to 3 months from August 2014. First two times they just refreshed the system for the code to go.
Could someone help with some email id's of Hyundai so the technical and warranty matter be brought to Hyundai's notice directly.
Old 9th March 2015, 21:37   #366

Bought my Hyundai Xcent S Petrol in December 2014. While I have not driven any long distance yet and just covered some 3k km so far only city driving in Bengaluru, thought I will share a few observations:
  • Smooth driving, responsive enough for its engine.
  • Mileage of approx 13.5-14.0 km/l
  • Had an issue with the heater/cooler knob getting stuck - the inside flap had to be replaced under warranty.
  • The a/c vent directions knob had to be re-adjusted.
  • Found ground clearance not as good as my previous Indica Xeta
  • Just noted that the rear power outlet is not working.
  • Clutch release not so in sync despite informing them (Advaith Hyundai, Bellandur, ORR) during 1st service. Never got time to follow up thereafter.
  • Fuel lid does not open sometimes.
Overall, satisfactory - no big issues yet!
tomjoe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 12:08   #367
BHPian

Does anyone have an idea regarding the wait times of the Xcent SX(O) Petrol variant in Mumbai?
Old 18th March 2015, 14:43   #368
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayonpal View Post
Does anyone have an idea regarding the wait times of the Xcent SX(O) Petrol variant in Mumbai?
How much wait time is the dealer quoting? They might even have in stock! I had booked SX(O) AT in Bangalore in first week of Feb and it reached dealer last week of Feb. So I do not think there is an extra ordinary wait time for Xcent. You might even want to call different dealers to see if they have your choice of color in stock for immediate delivery.

I saw your post in the Jazz thread so let me ask you this question - why did you rule out Elite i20 and picked Xcent (as you are interested in Jazz)? Is it because of long wait times of i20?
Old 18th March 2015, 14:51   #369
Senior - BHPian

I went with XV for my Eon and the improvement is more like 5%, that's all. I will move back to the original Osrams after these fuse. Money wasted actually.

Quote:
The Xtreme Vision from Philips and Night Breaker from Osram are indeed legal 60/55 bulbs. These certainly emit more light than normal bulbs of the same wattage, though not to the extent claimed by the manufacturers. The downside is reduced filament life compared to normal bulbs. Yellowish light is good in all conditions and better than whitish or bluish ones.

I, too, would recommend going for Xtreme Visions or Night Breakers instead of installing bulbs of higher wattage. Switching on the fog lamps when better illumination is required (even in non-foggy conditions) would also help to a good extent.
Old 18th March 2015, 15:19   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
How much wait time is the dealer quoting? They might even have in stock! I had booked SX(O) AT in Bangalore in first week of Feb and it reached dealer last week of Feb. So I do not think there is an extra ordinary wait time for Xcent. You might even want to call different dealers to see if they have your choice of color in stock for immediate delivery.

I saw your post in the Jazz thread so let me ask you this question - why did you rule out Elite i20 and picked Xcent (as you are interested in Jazz)? Is it because of long wait times of i20?
Why not Jazz?
I am still open to it. Have been waiting for it for over an year now. However, my last and only car got totalled 2-3 weeks back, and in urgent need for the new one. Even if the Jazz gets an official launch date that's within the next 2 months, I could wait. But all I am getting right now is rumours. And I don't think I can wait too long just on the basis of rumours.

Why not elite i20?
Since this is going to be my only car for a family of 3, I find the Xcent's boot space extremely tempting. Plus, my dad is 6'3", and I am not very confident that the rear seating of the i20 will be comfortable for him. Probably even the Xcent will be slightly uncomfortable for him, but it will still be better compared to the i20.

Why not i20 Active?
All reasons above, plus the prohibitive extra cost mostly because of the cosmetic changes.
Old 18th March 2015, 19:31   #371
BHPian

Okay, so spoke with Modi Hyundai Dealership in Vasai (planning to register there since I have a family home there. Cheaper registration charges) today, and this is the quote they gave me for the SX(O) Petrol variant:

Ex-showroom: Rs 6,95,764
Insurance: Rs 20,736
Zero Depreciation Insurance (O): Rs 4,827
3rd Year Extended Warranty + Mats (O): Rs 6,411
Total: Rs 7,98,457

Final Price being offered by the dealership: Rs 7,73,457

Out of the optionals, I have decide to pick up both of them.

Now, I have 2 major doubts here.

1. LBT: Apparently LBT is on its way to get abolished in Vasai/Virar within a month or two. Because of that rumour, many people from this dealership have started to purchase cars without paying for LBT. Now, even though it is just 1.5%, it's enough for me to consider the ramifications. Would any of you guys suggest me to go ahead and make the purchase without the LBT?

2. Registration problems for Virar/Vasai: The car is going to be in my name. I currently have photo ID proofs and current address proofs in the forms of Driver's License, Aadhar Card & Voter's Card. However, the address is of the place I am staying at, on rent. The Virar house belongs to my father (bought purely for investment) and he doesn't have any photo ID in his name. The dealership mentioned that the registration is still possible by paying about Rs 8,000 to the Virar/Vasai RTO as "Adjustment Charges". I am wondering if this makes sense, or rather whether it's even legal. Any advice on this front will be greatly appreciated.

TIA.
Old 19th March 2015, 20:46   #372
BHPian

Hi all, my Xcent completed 11000 kms this month. Although it hasn't been a very Hyundai-trouble-free-experience, I am still kinda satisfied with my car

However, the thing I want to ask is my car runs in city 100%. Even though, I am the only person driving it, I am getting a very varied mileage. At times I get as low as 13kmpl, whereas when I am lucky, I've gotten upto 18.71kmpl ( I keep track of this using mobile app). Any possible reason why this huge gap in the mileage?

P.S - Its a diesel model

Thanks in advance
Old 19th March 2015, 23:03   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
Hi all, my Xcent completed 11000 kms this month. Although it hasn't been a very Hyundai-trouble-free-experience, I am still kinda satisfied with my car

However, the thing I want to ask is my car runs in city 100%. Even though, I am the only person driving it, I am getting a very varied mileage. At times I get as low as 13kmpl, whereas when I am lucky, I've gotten upto 18.71kmpl ( I keep track of this using mobile app). Any possible reason why this huge gap in the mileage?

P.S - Its a diesel model

Thanks in advance
Diesel engine giving 13 kmpl is surprising!

Btw, can you share the app details used for fuel/mileage tracking?
Old 19th March 2015, 23:29   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
my Xcent completed 11000 kms this month. Although it hasn't been a very Hyundai-trouble-free-experience, I am still kinda satisfied with my car

However, the thing I want to ask is my car runs in city 100%. Even though, I am the only person driving it, I am getting a very varied mileage.
At times I get as low as 13kmpl, whereas when I am lucky, I've gotten upto 18.71kmpl ( I keep track of this using mobile app). Any possible reason why this huge gap in the mileage?

P.S - Its a diesel model
Use Tank full to Tank full method which seems to be more accurate. Fill till auto cut-off at dispenser cuts in. This is the best method to measure FE of a car. I dont have any hands on with the mobile apps, but I just dont trust the apps. 13 is very less, but the traffic density where you mostly use the car might play a role here. Plus, gear ratios are not very well sorted out.

Diesel giving less FE in Grand i10/Xcent is not new. I think the small diesel has to work very hard to move the relatively heavy car. I (Grand i10 diesel ) got 17.6 which includes 80% highway drive. The entire highway drive did not have AC on. Around 80% of the highway drive was with AC on.
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:46   #375
BANNED

Hi,

My Xcent VTVT S(o) is completed 600 kms and I Just came from my first highway trip of around 215 km. Pune-Phaltan-Pune (mixed single and double road).

My Observations
1. Very good fuel efficiency 16.96 kmpl. (210 km/12.38 litre)
2. Absolutely quite cabin.
3. Good space for 4 adult and two kids.
4. Decent sound quality.
5. Good ride and handling on highways.

Dislikes:
1. Suspension works with audible thuds.
2. AC is not that effective, it really brawls to keep cabin cool.

Most Viewed