Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2017, 09:56   #586
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Hello

I have been following the thread with a degree of interest. We have a SX (o) AT.

Recently we had a weekend drive. Bangalore to Coonoor and back.

The route taken was Kanakpura-Mallavali-Chamrajnagar-Satyamangla Forest-Dimbum Ghat-Metupalayam and Coonoor. This is the shortest route and has the least traffic plus the ghats are quite fun to drive. The Xcent AT is a wonderful car to drive in the hills as gear change happens on its own and there is one thing less to worry about.

On the way going we were using the Belkin charger for laptop charging in the rear seat and after a couple of hours the AC became in effective. I had no idea that this was connected or there was some power sharing but the AC was not good enough. This especially when we were in the hot part of Tamil Nadu. Anyway, we started to look for a Hyundai workshop to get it fixed. We were close to Metupalayam by then. Soon enough the climb began and the AC was no longer needed but this concern that the AC was not effective stayed in my mind. For a three day stay I kept thinking maybe I would have to take the car to Ooty to get it fixed or maybe downhill to Coimbatore.

Anyway, we reached our friends house in the estates and stayed over. The Belkin was also removed and so was the laptop. The next morning I was checking and guess what, the AC was perfect with its cooling. No, not because the temperature was cool outside but overall the AC was working fine. Soon it dawned on me that the laptop was getting charged and perhaps the AC was getting impacted.

We stayed in Coonoor was two days. Played tennis at Wellington Gymkhana. On the way back we started and it was around Kanakpura when it started to rain cats and dogs. Going through the road somewhere the light of the ABS came on. Back in Bangalore Hyundai is asking Rs 8000 for replacing some part. The 2 year warranty is over and one is thinking after all how much did the small vacation cost! The AC remained as good as it should be including through the hot parts of Tamil Nadu.

Specifically the AC including the rear vents - work fine with no additional power being consumed. (mobile phone charge is not an issue) A Thinkpad through a Belkin charger ended up being an issue and the AC lost its bite. Without other stuff being charged the AC worked perfectly fine and no issues at all. Cools the cabin, the air throw is pretty good, the AC vents in the rear also contribute to the cooling in the rear seat.

All in all I love the drive into the hills and the car can take any hairpin bend with happiness.

The ODO now reads 17000 kms.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 11:00   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
On the way going we were using the Belkin charger for laptop charging in the rear seat and after a couple of hours the AC became in effective.

Soon it dawned on me that the laptop was getting charged and perhaps the AC was getting impacted.

Rajain
The car charger is a 12/24V DC supply while a laptop needs a more powerful 110/220V AC supply. Did you use an inverter for DC to AC? Even if you did, I'm sure it still wouldn't charge. You were inadvertently sapping the battery of all its power and the alternator isn't powerful enough to generate that much power. I know it's easy to assume so, since we charge our mobile phones but that isn't the case. It's a strict phone charger and nothing more. Good to hear everything is back to normal.
Old 27th June 2017, 13:17   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
The car charger is a 12/24V DC supply while a laptop needs a more powerful 110/220V AC supply. Did you use an inverter for DC to AC? Even if you did, I'm sure it still wouldn't charge. You were inadvertently sapping the battery of all its power and the alternator isn't powerful enough to generate that much power. I know it's easy to assume so, since we charge our mobile phones but that isn't the case. It's a strict phone charger and nothing more. Good to hear everything is back to normal.
I did actually use a Belkin F5L071ak200W AC charger. I use it regularly in my Ertiga and it works fine no problems. The only use is to charge a laptop. And yes it did not work well in the Xcent. Actually the laptop was charging but the car AC was not potent enough. So my experience was coming from the Ertiga and also Innova where I have regularly used it.

Yes you are right, it most likely was draining the battery and that impacted on the AC. On our return journey thankfully that was not the case. While the laptop was used briefly but we did not plug it in through Belkin.
Old 25th August 2017, 23:54   #589
BHPian

hi

For some time the trip meter resets itself to zero on a random basis. This happens sometimes when the car is started in the morning or also during the course of the day when the car is started again.

I have brought this to the attention of service centre and they have tried to solve but they have been unsuccessful Also i notice that when i start the car and this happens the car takes slightly longer to start.

I am worried that this could be happening because of some other larger problem which the service centre is unable to figure out.

any suggestions
Old 9th September 2017, 19:20   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
hi

For some time the trip meter resets itself to zero on a random basis. This happens sometimes when the car is started in the morning or also during the course of the day when the car is started again.

I have brought this to the attention of service centre and they have tried to solve but they have been unsuccessful Also i notice that when i start the car and this happens the car takes slightly longer to start.

I am worried that this could be happening because of some other larger problem which the service centre is unable to figure out.

any suggestions
The same thing happened to my Xcent today. I was driving to drop my parents and there was a fair bit of traffic. All of sudden the instrument cluster turned off and needles went to 0. With in a second it turned back on and trip meter was reset to 0. Its been 1Year 9months and this is the first time it has happened. Will need to take it to service center if it occurs again.
Old 4th October 2017, 10:11   #591
Senior - BHPian

I missed the above posts somehow. Trip meters resetting by themselves is a commonly reported issue in Grand i10 & Xcent. We have faced it in our car as well on 3-4 occasions in 2 years. It is a minor issue, and won't cause anything more serious. Sadly there seems to be no definite solution to it as of now.

I came to this thread to post about check engine light on our Xcent. It flashed few times times today morning while I was driving to office. This happened when car was in 5th gear between 60-70 kmph. After flashing few times, it went off on its own. During the time when light was flashing as well as after it stopped flashing, the behaviour of car was totally normal. Some time later I again reached 60-70 kmph in 5th gear, but the light did not flash.

Should this be a cause for concern?

Last edited by AkMar : 4th October 2017 at 10:14.
Old 4th October 2017, 12:50   #592
BHPian

We started having starting issues also. Took the car to the service centre and was diagnosed as a weak battery . Car has finished 3 yrs and approx 16 k running . Got the battery replaced and since then the trip metre reset issue ect have been solved
amidoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 10:47   #593
BHPian

This might be rated as the moment sillly question till date.
Since the car is turned on using push button, and the door entry is handled through the keys, what would happen when you run of batteries. My car is 2 years old now. How often should I change the batter as a preemptive measure?

Regards,
Venkat K
Old 9th October 2017, 11:18   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayvwar View Post
Since the car is turned on using push button, and the door entry is handled through the keys, what would happen when you run of batteries.
The chip in the key fob can work as a passively powered transponder when in very close range to the push-button in the car.

In my MY'11 Verna with push-button start, I need to press the button with the key itself if the battery is dead/removed. I've tried it already - removed the battery from the key fob and started the car successfully with the method mentioned above.

I'm using the key fob with original battery still - it's been 6 years and it is still working OK.

As far as I remember this is also mentioned in owners' manual - I'd suggest going through your Accent's manual to confirm... Or do what I did
Old 10th October 2017, 10:01   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post

I came to this thread to post about check engine light on our Xcent. It flashed few times times today morning while I was driving to office.
Any check engine warning should be looked at. If you have an obd tool, try using that. If not, take it to the service center to get it looked at.
Do you have any rat issues in your parking area? I'm not sure if wire damage can throw up an error like this.
Old 25th February 2018, 00:19   #596
BHPian

Direct to the point
Is there any Xcent SX(O) (ABS-model) owners in Chennai? If so, can I test-drive your car for a short distance please?

Background
I have been having an issue with the steering of my Hyundai Xcent SX(O) Petrol (Feb-2016 model) which I had posted in this thread as well.

What difficulty do I feel
I feel the steering to be very stiff and requires a good amount of effort from my side to turn. As I (as most of us do) drive using right hand alone, this directly impacts my right shoulder and pushed me to a bed-ridden state for almost 2 months after a road-trip to Coimbatore in Aug'2016.

Lets take a normal spring for example. If its really strong one, to compress or elongate it, you should give all your strength. That's because, there is an inherent strength of the spring to not allow you to compress or elongate. This is what I feel when I turn my steering. There is an inherent push towards the opposite side which makes my turn very difficult.
On the contrary, if the spring is only slightly loaded (normal strength), it would allow you to compress/elongate. However, upon releasing, it would get back to its position - which is what I need.

I have been asking the service center folks (HMP Alandur) repeatedly regarding this issue and every time, they say that everything is good and this is the way all Xcent behaves - which I obviously don't believe. They even arranged for a test-drive in one of their cars which I felt was better than what I feel in my car.

The reason given by them were:

1. This is the way Xcent steering behaves
2. All the parameters (when connected to the computer) are showing correct numbers and there is nothing inaccurate
3. On why their Xcent is better - because mine is SX(O) (basically ABS model), there are 4 sensors that monitors the steering movement and brings the steering back to its '0' position very quickly. This inadvertently makes it difficult for me to turn the steering (remember the spring analogy I gave?!?!)
And, since theirs is not a ABS model, I feel it to be better.

I also had checked the wheel balancing/alignment as suggested by a BHP-ian and it is good too.

Requests
1. I would like to test it by driving a Hyundai Xcent SX(O) (ABS).
2. I would like someone to drive my car and tell me their opinion - this can be anyone - need not necessarily be a Xcent owner.

Thanks in advance!
Old 29th March 2018, 12:33   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Direct to the point
Is there any Xcent SX(O) (ABS-model) owners in Chennai? If so, can I test-drive your car for a short distance please?

Background
I have been having an issue with the steering of my Hyundai Xcent SX(O) Petrol (Feb-2016 model) which I had posted in this thread as well.

Requests
1. I would like to test it by driving a Hyundai Xcent SX(O) (ABS).
2. I would like someone to drive my car and tell me their opinion - this can be anyone - need not necessarily be a Xcent owner.

Thanks in advance!
I have an xcent SX(O) AT petrol and it is a breeze to steer even in tight city roads and turns.
I stay at Vellore and occasionally visit Chennai. If our paths cross, you can drive mine and see how different it is.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 14:05   #598

I have 2015 SX Petrol. I've been having locking indicator problems in the last 2 weeks. Usually, locking blinks the indicator once and unlocking blinks twice.
If there is no blinking while locking, then it means that one of the door is not properly close.

Last week, while parking at a restaurant, I noticed that the indicators were not blinking at all when locked. Though all the doors were closed properly and locked. After checking all the doors manually, I left. On returning, it was working fine.
I see the same thing happening today while parking at the office. Has anyone come across this issue?
Old 27th May 2018, 20:07   #599
BHPian

The Xcent is a taxi favourite, at least here in Delhi-NCR. Sat in one today, here are some of my observations -

- Road noise seemed to be on the higher side. It was definitely intrusive at speeds above 50-60 kmph. Engine noise is well contained, but overall I expected better NVH.

- Rear seat is set too low. That + high window line = claustrophobia. Moreover, I didn't find the seat to be supportive at all. Hyundai sedans can't seem to get their backseats right.

- Ride quality at low speeds is cushy. Way too floaty for comfort at higher speeds.

- Interior plastics looked pretty decent despite being dirty and abused. No rattles or squeaks either. The car is definitely well built, as with all Hyundais.

The car it's based on, the Grand i10 is one of my favourite hatchbacks. The Xcent inherits all the good bits, but falters with the 'sedan' aspects of the package. I'd rather buy the i10 / i20, or the Dzire / Amaze.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 27th May 2018 at 20:14.
Old 15th June 2018, 19:41   #600
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I missed the above posts somehow. Trip meters resetting by themselves is a commonly reported issue in Grand i10 & Xcent. We have faced it in our car as well on 3-4 occasions in 2 years. It is a minor issue, and won't cause anything more serious. Sadly there seems to be no definite solution to it as of now.

I came to this thread to post about check engine light on our Xcent. It flashed few times times today morning while I was driving to office. This happened when car was in 5th gear between 60-70 kmph. After flashing few times, it went off on its own. During the time when light was flashing as well as after it stopped flashing, the behaviour of car was totally normal. Some time later I again reached 60-70 kmph in 5th gear, but the light did not flash.

This happens to me when the trip indicator resets. All lights go kaboom and then back to normal in few seconds with trip indicator reset to 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
We started having starting issues also. Took the car to the service centre and was diagnosed as a weak battery . Car has finished 3 yrs and approx 16 k running . Got the battery replaced and since then the trip metre reset issue ect have been solved
I too am facing starting issues. Happened second time today. 3 years and 25K. So looks like battery is dying at 3 years. After first time, car ran ok for about 2-3 weeks and today again it's not starting. During these 2-3 weeks, the trip indicator is resetting almost daily. Looks like I too will need to replace battery. Where did you replace? Service center? How much for the battery?

Last edited by JD1 : 15th June 2018 at 19:43.
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks