Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:28   #631

I have another long ride planned up and it's just been 2 months since the service of the car. Lately I've noticed a considerable drop of power in the car. It just doesn't run as smoothly as before specially when the car is loaded. When there are more than 3 occupants in the car I have to push it harder to get going but this wasn't the case before. There is definitely a drop in power and for some reason the pick up is gone down too.

In the last service I've got the clutch plates and clutch assembly replaced (it did run very smooth after that), belts, air filter, oil filter etc.
Can you guys suggest a solution for this problem? Pushing the engine hard has also affected the FE and it's just going from bad to worse sometimes. These problems are making my drive very hectic! Any solutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Unfortunately this seems to be a common problem in the Xcent. This has been reported by multiple owners in this thread (see post 516 for example) and I have faced this repeatedly too (see post 564) . Changing the thermister, AC overhaul, etc have all been tried and nothing works. It looks like we simply have to live with this problem.

The only saving grace is that this doesn't happen every time on long drives . It happens randomly.
Do you suggest any specific check up or a part replacement before I head out for my next long drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
Seems like the ac evaporator coil inside the dashboard is partially choked and hampering the normal airflow through it. In a partially choked coil, after using ac for long time, ice is formed inside evaporator coil because of decreased air flow, further hampering air flow. When we switch off the ac, the ice slowly melts, making the ac effective for the next time, but it will form ice again if used for long time. (The evaporator coil is choked when we use ac on fresh air mode. The indian air condition is too dusty to use fresh air mode.)
Now the cure is, you have to get the evaporator coil cleaned after opening whole of the dashboard.
Yes, the service guy had told me the same thing but he was unsure if it would solve the problem. He said " we'll have to change that part and then another part which costs about 12000 and then check it on a long run". He asked me to leave the AC just like that and not to play around with it. Thanks for your advice sir and will definitely keep you posted.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th November 2018 at 09:19. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:47   #632
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent A/c Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanketh_027 View Post
Yes, the service guy had told me the same thing but he was unsure if it would solve the problem.
He said " we'll have to change that part and then another part which costs about 12000 and then check it on a long run". He asked me to leave the AC just like that and not to play around with it
Thanks for your advice sir and will definitely keep you posted.
There is no need to change the evaporator coil, if there are no signs of corrosion, but that we can only comes to know when the part comes out. I think, he is just covering the risk by saying that, in case the coil comes out in totally debilitated condition.
Old 23rd November 2018, 16:31   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanketh_027 View Post
Do you suggest any specific check up or a part replacement before I head out for my next long drive?
Sanket, have you tried using some hot air i.e. turning the red / blue temperature control knob when the AC is running? This will help prevent icing the coil.

Regards
Nikhil
Old 23rd November 2018, 17:12   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
Sanket, have you tried using some hot air i.e. turning the red / blue temperature control knob when the AC is running? This will help prevent icing the coil.

Regards
Nikhil
Haven't tried that out yet but will try and let you know
Old 24th November 2018, 12:47   #635
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Looks like Hyundai are dropping the S variant and upgrading the E+variant with the S variant features. The image was shared by the dealer since I was enquiring about the Xcent Auto transmission. Since the auto transmission is available only in the S variant. Since the dealer did not even have a test drive vehicle in auto. She suggested I drive the Grand i10 auto which has the same engine leading me to believe that Hyundai is planning to drop the auto or move it to another variant.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img20180710wa0008-xcent-resturcture-18.jpg  

adits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 09:25   #636
Senior - BHPian

I've given my Xcent for a check up for the steering noise and also a silencer that is probably damaged. The exhaust note is throatiwr and rougher, sounds nice!!
Wonder what costs I'm looking at.
Also the suspension in general is creaking a bit.
Old 11th December 2018, 19:27   #637
Senior - BHPian

The silencer had a small hole that was sealed with m-seal. There was some lubrication done for the suspension and steering. Labour costed 1000 RS. and total bill was 1600.
I'm a little gobsmacked at the m-seal being used and the service engineer assured me that there was no need to replace the silencer and this will last a few years. I hope he is right.
The silencer sound is normal now and the steering and suspension still creak.
They did a good car wash and hopefully did not charge separately for it.
I also had to change the battery of my spare key as it stopped working. The main key battery was changed a few months ago. Cost me RS. 236. It's a plain CR2032 Panasonic battery with a Hyundai accessories plastic cover. Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20181211_192348836.jpg
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 15:22   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Cost me RS. 236. It's a plain CR2032 Panasonic battery with a Hyundai accessories plastic cover.
Any reason why this costs so much ? When i enquired in my neighbourhood, a reputed shop was retailing this for INR 40 !

Am i missing something here ? Are there any types or variants in Panasonic CR 2032 3V coin battery
Old 3rd January 2019, 15:39   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Always cheaper to replace these stuff by yourself. I changed the same battery in my car's fob for Rs. 60/- a few months ago from a shop nearby. Main markets could have stocked them for even cheaper.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:03   #640
BHPian

Here is a peculiar problem i faced.

Yesterday night when i tried to open the door via request sensor on the handle, there was no reaction from the car. I used the remote open - again no reaction from the car. (Car & electricals were working fine till yesterday evening)

So i thought the key fob battery is dead. Then, i removed the mechanical key and opened the door. To my surprise, the alarm din't go off.

Then came the next challenge - How do i start the car ? The start - Stop button needs to recognize the key is inside the car !

With a random thought, i placed the key fob under the Audio system - Boom ! the car started !

I reached home and i tried the request sensor to lock the door - it worked.

Today morning - Things are back to normal.

Couple of questions in my mind.

1. Is the key fob's battery weak ? Should i replace it ? Car is 3 years old.

2. How did placing the key in the place under the Audio unit help ? Is this the back up option in built by Hyundai ?
Old 8th January 2019, 09:42   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
Here is a peculiar problem i faced.

1. Is the key fob's battery weak ? Should i replace it ? Car is 3 years old.

2. How did placing the key in the place under the Audio unit help ? Is this the back up option in built by Hyundai ?
If the problem recurs you may need to change the battery and check if that fixes the problem. Always carry your spare key now in case you run into issues away from home.
There is a tiny red light on the key fob that functions as a battery indicator when pressed.

I thought he sensor for cars with a start stop button was close to the steering wheel/startstop button.
Old 8th January 2019, 11:26   #642
BHPian

I faced the same problem. Replacing the battery for key FOB did the magic. For the Start Stop, I just placed the key fob over the start stop button and pressed it. The car starts with that.
arishi1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 15:18   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
The Xcent is a taxi favourite, at least here in Delhi-NCR. Sat in one today, here are some of my observations -

- Road noise seemed to be on the higher side. It was definitely intrusive at speeds above 50-60 kmph. Engine noise is well contained, but overall I expected better NVH.

- Rear seat is set too low. That + high window line = claustrophobia. Moreover, I didn't find the seat to be supportive at all. Hyundai sedans can't seem to get their backseats right.

- Ride quality at low speeds is cushy. Way too floaty for comfort at higher speeds.

- Interior plastics looked pretty decent despite being dirty and abused. No rattles or squeaks either. The car is definitely well built, as with all Hyundais.

The car it's based on, the Grand i10 is one of my favourite hatchbacks. The Xcent inherits all the good bits, but falters with the 'sedan' aspects of the package. I'd rather buy the i10 / i20, or the Dzire / Amaze.
Took a ride in Uber Xcent today to Hyderabad airport, a ride of 50 minutes from hotel. The noise inside was definitely higher , but it was due to tyre noise only. With better tyres, inside will be acceptably quiet IMO. Had a conversation with the friendly driver. The car has done 1.70 lacs km in two years. He said the car is utterly reliable , but maintenance wise a bit expensive. His friends with Etios incur quite less on maintenance. Car was riding well & the rear seat was set much higher in comparison to my Verna. The car had a bit of rattle all around. The driver who is the owner of the car is overall satisfied with the car.
IMO, it's a pretty good option in the segment.
Cheers
Old 10th January 2019, 09:28   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The silencer had a small hole that was sealed with m-seal. There was some lubrication done for the suspension and steering. Labour costed 1000 RS. and total bill was 1600.
I'm a little gobsmacked at the m-seal being used and the service engineer assured me that there was no need to replace the silencer and this will last a few years. I hope he is right.
The SE was wrong. The silencer hole and noise have resurfaced and I now drive a very sporty sounding xcent.
What are my options? There didnt seem to be significant rusting. Hopefully the silencer doesnot need to be changed.
Is there any harm in driving around with a small hole in the silencer? The cabin does not have a smell and I've covered 1000 km in a week with highway drives for long periods without any problems.
Added: I called the service engineer and he said "I never told you it will last a few years at all!!"

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 10th January 2019 at 09:58.
Old 10th January 2019, 10:00   #645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The SE was wrong. The silencer hole and noise have resurfaced and I now drive a very sporty sounding xcent.
What are my options? There didnt seem to be significant rusting. Hopefully the silencer doesnot need to be changed.
Anything related to holes on the metal-work, needs to be sanded, perhaps even grinded and replaced with a similar spec piece of metal, welded, scraped and coated with anti-rust, for it to be a permanent solution. M-Seal wont work in cars, and not advisable either. It is strictly for home purposes and even there using in pipe-joints or seals is not recommended.

The permanent fix is either the metal-patch work as I described above, or to change the entire unit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks