Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2019, 11:01   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Anything related to holes on the metal-work, needs to be sanded, perhaps even grinded and replaced with a similar spec piece of metal, welded, scraped and coated with anti-rust, for it to be a permanent solution. M-Seal wont work in cars, and not advisable either. It is strictly for home purposes and even there using in pipe-joints or seals is not recommended.

The permanent fix is either the metal-patch work as I described above, or to change the entire unit.
Any idea how much the cost would be if I change the entire unit? Hyundai said they will be able to tell cost only after checking. I may get the repair or replacement done by a local mechanic.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 10th January 2019 at 11:02.
Old 10th January 2019, 18:23   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I now drive a very sporty sounding xcent
Is it too loud for your liking ? If not, you may continue driving it that way as long as it isn't too loud for public as well. There are lot of loud bikes on the road anyway.
vaasscit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 19:03   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
Is it too loud for your liking ? If not, you may continue driving it that way as long as it isn't too loud for public as well. There are lot of loud bikes on the road anyway.
Not loud at all unless I open the car door.
Is there a possibility of bad gases escaping into the cabin?
Old 10th January 2019, 20:30   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Not loud at all unless I open the car door.

Is there a possibility of bad gases escaping into the cabin?

I believe not. It's the air from from the engine cabin has more probability to seep in not from silencer - it'll be sent backwards.

Btwn I changed my Key Fob's battery and it's working fine now. Thanks !
Old 18th January 2019, 16:28   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
^^Always cheaper to replace these stuff by yourself. I changed the same battery in my car's fob for Rs. 60/- a few months ago from a shop nearby. Main markets could have stocked them for even cheaper.

Regards,
Saket
Checked with Panasonic, it indeed costs only INR 40. How much money is Hyundai making out of this battery ?!?!? Like 6 times
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-cr2032-price.jpg  

Old 20th January 2019, 13:05   #651
BHPian

The performance of the AC, about which I had moaned several times in this thread, deteriorated to the point where something had to be done again.

And so for the second time in the 100,000 odd kms I have driven the car, I had to resort to evaporator coil cleaning. The whole dashboard had to be dismantled, the evaporator coil accessed and then cleaned. I went to Aditya Car AC centre (Pradeep) in Ejipura near Sony World which seemed to have got decent reviews, rather than the Hyundai Service Centre, where costs have become ridiculously high for average quality of service.

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20190119_152756.jpg
(the dirty evaporator coil)

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20190119_154640.jpg
(after cleaning)

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20190119_152501.jpg
(Yuk - this is how dirty the interior of the dash gets)

The coil was cleaned with soap and water and blow dried. And then it was all put back again. Gas was refilled, the climate control filter was replaced and that was that. In all, it took some 3 hours. Overall damages were Rs 4500.

The AC now works, at aleast. The temperature at the outlet was measured as 10 deg, when the temperature setting was pegged at the lowest, an improvement of some 5 deg from the before cleaning situation. Still the overall cooling (and this is January in Bangalore) is, at best, passable.

I hope the cutouts that happen randomly on long drives are at least minimised. I am however not confident that it will be long before the misbehaviour starts again.

I was told that the dashboard does not need to be removed for cleaning the evaporator coil in the case of the i20, but that for the i10 / XCent, there is no other choice. I am a complete ignoramus on matters relation to car ACs, but it begs the question as to why the design is such that this becomes a major job when Indian conditions require cleaning probably every 25000 kms or so.

I am not competent to opine on Pradeep and his team, but from what I could see, the people working on the car seemed competent. After the dashboard was all put back, the car rides same as before; no rattles, no oddities, nothing.
Old 21st January 2019, 02:20   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
I am a complete ignoramus on matters relation to car ACs, but it begs the question as to why the design is such that this becomes a major job when Indian conditions require cleaning probably every 25000 kms or so.
That is definitely too soon for the evaporator coil to get clogged up.

If this car uses Climate Control, I suggest you use re-circulation mode at all times when driving in the City. On the highway, there is relatively less dust so re circulation can be left in Auto.

It also seems like the cabin filter is either not replaced during scheduled service or it isn't doing its job.

One more difficult to nail reason could be that the recirculation mode is still allowing for some air to come in from the outside. Still; does not explain why the coil should get so dirty as the filter is capable of trapping even fine dust.

As for improving cooling performance, get the external heat exchanger (Usually sits ahead of the radiator) blown with a industrial blower. You could buy one cheap or get it done from a car wash center. If this is clogged with dust and debris, cooling has drop a bit.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 21:23   #653
BHPian

The more i drive this car the more i'm appreciating what it has to offer. Initially i thought features like key less entry is an overkill - Trust me it helps every time - especially for a city car like this one its much needed.

Coming from a Fiesta, i wasn't happy with the dynamics of this car - but its very predictable and easy to drive.

After-all there is a reason why Grand i10/Xcent is selling 10k+ month on month even during the end of its life-cycle
Old 26th March 2019, 12:39   #654
Senior - BHPian

I've given the Car for the 5th year service. Its done only 33000 KM - about 10000 KM in the last 1 year.
The only issue is a slightly rougher engine noise and fluctuating RPM when idling especially with the AC on. I've enclosed a video - but its difficult to make it out clearly.
The initial estimate given for regular service was 6500 Rs. Will know more after a few hours.

Old 26th March 2019, 13:08   #655

Quote:
The only issue is a slightly rougher engine noise and fluctuating RPM when idling especially with the AC on.
I had the same issue last week. Went to HASS and showed them. Initially I suspected a problem with AC as the compressor was turning on/off every 5-6 seconds. They cleaned the throttle body and the idle rpm is fair stable now. The SA didn't seem concerned about the AC compressor switching frequently and said its not related to the rpm fluctuations.
How often does the compressor cycle when Idle?
aramosfet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 13:32   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramosfet View Post
I had the same issue last week. Went to HASS and showed them. Initially I suspected a problem with AC as the compressor was turning on/off every 5-6 seconds. They cleaned the throttle body and the idle rpm is fair stable now. The SA didn't seem concerned about the AC compressor switching frequently and said its not related to the rpm fluctuations.
How often does the compressor cycle when Idle?
I haven't noticed the AC compressor switching off too frequently at all. I'll see what they say about it.
Old 11th April 2019, 06:59   #657
Senior - BHPian

After the service the fluctuating rpm is not very obvious and overall the car is smoother.
Here is a bill for the 5th year service at about 33000 km. No major parts were replaced. I'm sure the cost was about 1000 rs. more as I didn't really question many of their charges ( ac disinfection, washer fluid, distil water, etc. )
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20190326_175822605.jpg
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 16:17   #658

Hi All,

I had faced an issue with my Xcent around 6 months back where the both the remote key were not functioning. I checked with the Hyundai Service Center and he requested a new code from the Chennai plant and tried but one of the key still did not work. Finally he checked the battery inside the faulty key and everything was fine. So he told me to replace the key which costs a whopping 8k including taxes. The manager at the service center also told me to keep switching between the keys every 6 months to avoid any issue. Now last month when I tried again using my spare key it was not working.

Did any one face such issue?
Old 14th May 2019, 09:45   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritesh94 View Post
Hi All,

I had faced an issue with my Xcent around 6 months back where the both the remote key were not functioning. I checked with the Hyundai Service Center and he requested a new code from the Chennai plant and tried but one of the key still did not work. Finally he checked the battery inside the faulty key and everything was fine. So he told me to replace the key which costs a whopping 8k including taxes. The manager at the service center also told me to keep switching between the keys every 6 months to avoid any issue. Now last month when I tried again using my spare key it was not working.

Did any one face such issue?

Mine is a 2014 Xcent SXO AT and the key battery usually works for two years. But when I am changing the original key , I have to change the spare key battery as well. Both times , by the time my original key stopped working the spare key battery also had drained completely. It seems , irrespective of the key being used or not , the battery lasts only for two years. And two years is not a bad life for the convenience it offers.
Old 26th May 2019, 12:19   #660
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendations for floor mats for my Xcent ? One of the rear mats is missing and the driver side is ripping slowly. I prefer fabric, but rubber / pvc may be more practical. I don't want to cut and make my own.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks