Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2021, 09:43   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

I have an Xcent SX(O) AT from 2014.
The ABS warning light comes on intermittently. It happened for the first time in December 2020 during a long ride, but went off when I had to stop for a break.
In February 2021 it came on again during a long ride but went off again after stopping for a break. It now comes on intermittently on short drives also - not predictable. I have had no change in car behaviour, but (thankfully) have not had to engage ABS in an emergency.
I will be giving it for a check to see what the issue is - hopefully it just needs to be reset or has dirt/loose connection.
Anything I should be aware of when I give it in.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai told me to change the complete ABS module, the brakes etc etc etc.
Old 13th April 2021, 10:45   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai told me to change the complete ABS module, the brakes etc etc etc.
When it happened with my car, it was fixed with ABS sensor change in one of the wheels. First time it happened the car was under warranty. The second time, I paid 4k. Mine is the same variant as yours. 2014 SX(O) AT. This is a common problem in Grand i10s and Xcents of 2014-15.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 13th April 2021 at 10:46.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 11:56   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Same thing happened to me in 2019 and it was solved with repairing the wiring harness costing Rs 940. Same variant of the car. At worst, it might require changing the sensor as mentioned by padmrajravi.

Last edited by Secretariat : 13th April 2021 at 11:58.
Secretariat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 18:33   #709
BHPian

I've got my Xcent's A/C louver sliders broken. It didn't simply break, it happened because of rough use in the authorized service center MGF Hyundai. Now that the service center itself is closed down, nothing to complain about. However, this did break in my prior Hyundai i10 also. For both these case, it's after about 4-5 years. Do we get this after market ?

I've got my ABS lamp turned on again, which are other host of problems for which I'm not turning up to service center for that reason alone.
Old 25th June 2021, 19:03   #710
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

For those who prefer buying an used Hyundai Xcent, these guidelines from Autocar India will appear to be quite useful. First introduced in 2014, it underwent a face-lift in 2017 and was fitted with a more powerful diesel engine ( 1.2 litre / 75 bhp as compared to the older 1.1 litre 72 bhp) and came with more features. The reviewer talks about the facelifted version's better bump absorption quality, better handling with a responsive steering and a chassis with a better grip. The petrol version had a 1197 cc/ 83 bhp engine (no change since 2014). The production of the facelifted model lasted from 2017-2020. It was available in five trim levels, – E, E+, S, SX and SX(O). The SX and the SX(O) only had the ABS option. The Hyundai Aura in 2021 has replaced this model.

The reviewer however cautions about the Xcent's known niggles like clutch complaints, indequate cooling by the AC and suspension wear, apart from the poor fuel economy the automatic petrol version is notorious for. Options to look for the diesel version in case fuel economy is a priority is suggested.

The reviewer suggest a price band of Rs 5 - 7 L depending on the version and specs for the second hand buy, which I feel is quite high and the buyer needs to bargain, as the car model has been discontinued a year back. In the review, it has also been suggested that price needs to be bargained as the car does not have much demand in the second hand market, being a discontinued model.

The full review can be read on this link:-

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...n-india-421117

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 25th June 2021 at 19:06.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 21:31   #711
BHPian

7 years and 140,000 kms report

Mine is a SX(O) AT bought in 2014 when the Xcent debuted. In 5 years I had done 125,000 kms including several 5000+km trips. The last two years have, of course, been a dampener - only 15,000 kms and no month long expeditions thanks to the pandemic.

At the 140,000 kms mark did the following preventive maintenance
  • Changed the alternator, which cost Rs 15 K. I know this is an overkill and technical gurus on this forum would be aghast. There are threads which recommend only repair and that too when a problem is seen. I have had no problems and it's just a preventive maintenace to forget about it for the next 1.5 L kms.
  • Final replacement in suspension parts (had done it in the stages at the last two servicings). Link assembly and arms were changed costing Rs 9000. Again all suspension related work has been done as preventive maintenance and not because a problem had arisen. With this, I hope to sleep easy for quite some time.
  • Cleaned the fuel tank for the first time and correspondingly changed the fuel filter and the spark plugs.
Along with other routine stuff, the overall damages came to Rs 35 K. I always "ouch" when I see the bill but reconcile myself saying that doing this is great for peace of mind (especially on a deserted road in Nagaland !) and maintaining and keeping the car for looong is much cheaper than buying a new car.

I have erred on the side of too much preventive maintenance, but this is deliberate. The benefit has been that aside from two punctures I have not had a single occasion when the car even let out a squeal, let alone breaking down. The best proof can be a Spiti drive from Bangalore three years ago when I thankfully didn't even have a puncture. After all these kms, I remain a happy Xcent owner. But for the awful AC, everything is fine for me . I see no reason not to drive another 1.5L kms with this car
Secretariat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:17   #712
BHPian

I have a 2013 Xcent Automatic and have been considering conversion to CNG off late given the rising fuel costs. I have found many places in Bangalore who convert to CNG and will also file with RTO for endorsement.

Question for colleagues here - has anyone around here converted a Petrol AT to CNG? If yes how is the feedback - particularly how does the car perform in selection of the gears for climbing up?

Thanks in advance

regards
Old 7th March 2022, 12:35   #713
BHPian

My Xcent is nearing it's 7th anniversary with us and approximately 43,300+ km as of today on its odometer. I've had a pleasant annual maintenance service experience at VTJ Hyundai, Maradu where in I was given a smaller bill than I was fearing I would get (Given ABS sensor etc were kaput). This was a couple of months back, and periodic maintenance had not been happening at the exact times due to covid situation.

Years passed by, age has added on to people and not just the car, and now have a little kid who is 1.5 years old in the family. Now a major dilemma also has cropped up. There is a contention for the front co-passenger seat. My mother always had this vertigo problem that she prefers to sit in the front seat which is comfortable for her for longer drives. So far there wasn't any issue. Now the contender is the new chap, who has this motion sickness problem. Into a few kilometers of the ride, the boy starts to act up. Whereas while on front seat he is apparently more composed. It could be because he can see things up in the front, with better front seat comfort. But still I believe he will not tolerate really long drives. The longest we could do is Kochi to Kottayam which is about 70 kilometers, and we for sure can't return the same day.

Also this got all of us notice that perhaps the car has become a very bumpy ride. The problem is we are not able to make out if it's our perception, or if really the car's suspension have worn out. I can certainly say when we bought Xcent, it had a superior comfort compared to our outgoing i10.

Our roads around are patchy and bumpy, and undulations on the road are being felt inside. Does anyone in this Xcent thread experienced degradation in ride comfort, needing suspension overhaul ? The last service advisor mentioned about an engine note problem without myself complaining about it (he said throttle / some sensor related to that had to be cleaned). But he didn't specifically pick on any shock absorber/suspension wear out.

Can we do something like re-upholstery with better cushioning to improve this ride comfort aspect ? My mother and elder daughter feels that the rear bench left is compressed and lower than the right. When I sat in the rear seat, I couldn't feel much difference though visually there appears to be a contouring difference. It really could be that way because there is always an occupant sitting on the left.

However I did feel it's very bumpy at the rear. While driving also, I can feel my stomach rolling on imperfect roads. But what I'm not sure is if it's really vehicle issue, or becoming sensitive due to my tolerance.

How to know if really there is a suspension wear out, or we are just needing something better (is there really something better) ? I really wanted to keep this car if possible, I'm really not intending to buy another one unless this issue makes it absolutely necessary. In which case, I'm thinking of MPVs with second row captain seats - Ertiga / Carens maybe ? I'm though not sure they are any significantly superior in ride comfort than Xcent. Can anyone tell ?
roby.thomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 12:46   #714
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
Also this got all of us notice that perhaps the car has become a very bumpy ride. The problem is we are not able to make out if it's our perception, or if really the car's suspension have worn out.
Its not just your car.

By the time Xcent came, Hyundai had just learned how to sort out the front suspension, and had only read half the chapter on the rear! Same experience here - I never sat in the back for over 25k kms, and when I finally did - I just couldn't believe it's the same car as that of the front! The rear has a LOT more vertical movement than the front and is nowhere as composed as the front makes you believe.

Its not as bouncy as the old generation Hyundai cars, but surely is disconnected from the front. Things are almost sorted now with the Aura.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 16:15   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Years passed by, age has added on to people and not just the car, and now have a little kid who is 1.5 years old in the family. Now a major dilemma also has cropped up. There is a contention for the front co-passenger seat.
Question: Is it safe for a kid that age to be in the front seat? Most international laws have an age limit of about 13 years due to safety of kids in the front seat.
Old 12th March 2022, 18:20   #716

I drive a 2014 SX(O) MT Xcent, current odo is around 110k

Yes, the rear has a lot of vertical movement than the front but I assumed that's because of science :-). The most comfortable place in the car (less vertical movement) will be right in the middle of both the wheels. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

From what I have understood, Xcent has a soft suspension which is great on city roads but around 80kmph, the ride becomes too bouncy at the rear. For long road trips, we make sure that we are padded up with seat belt in the back seat to control this vertical movement. If it's fully loaded with 5 people and luggage since the suspension goes down, at every small upward undulation, the suspension throws the body on top and the impact is felt much more on the rear.

If you are facing an issue on low speeds also then it's better to get the suspension looked at. If it's only on highways then the only resolution will be to stiffen the suspension through aftermarket replacements.
Old 12th March 2022, 20:11   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Years passed by, age has added on to people and not just the car, and now have a little kid who is 1.5 years old in the family. Now a major dilemma also has cropped up. There is a contention for the front co-passenger seat.
I think a baby seat will pacify the little one a lot. He will actually prefer the baby seat because the front-facing baby seat will give him a better view than sitting in the front seat. My 2-year-old asks to be seated in the child seat when my wife tries to hold her sitting in the front seat for short journeys. In the child seat, she gets a full stadium view out and that is her preferred arrangement. The problem with Xcent is that the rear bench is very narrow and once the baby seat is there, only one adult can use that space.
Old 12th March 2022, 20:23   #718
BHPian

Quote:
? I'm though not sure they are any significantly superior in ride comfort than Xcent. Can anyone tell ?
Hey i have had major issues in my 2014 Grand i10. Hope this helps :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...xperience.html (Petrol dampers (shock absorbers) in a heavier diesel car : My experience)

Ever since i posted this alot of Team BHP readers who own this model have inboxed me over Instagram etc seeking opinions.
If you have any issues, kindly feel free to inbox.

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 12th March 2022 at 20:25.
Old 13th March 2022, 08:19   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrules View Post
Question: Is it safe for a kid that age to be in the front seat?
Is there today an Indian law which mandates usage of baby car seats or anything like that ? Because internationally, you've to seat him surely in the appropriate baby car seat. Also I know in front seat, kids can be seated though variations apply. I guess what's mandated is proper car seat. Because there are regular situations in international scene where the mother drives alone with the kid, and the only option is to seat the baby in the front, with the car seat facing rear. I think it makes easy for baby to have eye contact with the mother. I've been asking for this car seat, but my family thinks it's pure show off. That's sad, it's a safety aspect, and I wish the law mandated it.

I do have a baby seat (can't call it seat, it's a cradle) which is for up to 2 years. However, it's positioning is awkward that the boy just do not like to sit it while it's in car. However in your drawing room, you can keep him in it, and will happily sit . Now the whole purpose that seat serves at home is to seat him in it, and weigh him in spring balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky View Post
I drive a 2014 SX(O) MT Xcent, current odo is around 110k

Yes, the rear has a lot of vertical movement than the front ..., Xcent has a soft suspension which is great on city roads but around 80kmph, the ride becomes too bouncy at the rear...., If you are facing an issue on low speeds also then it's better to get the suspension looked at.
My issue is certainly low speed. The maximum I drive is at 70 km/hr, but mostly I do in the 50-60 km/hr. Because of this bounciness, nowadays I'm riding it even slower at 40 km/hr, which practically means I'm driving in the 3rd gear in this petrol car.

When this was spoken of, I realize if I do really high speeds over broken roads, it may seems comfortable (which I feel as a driver), but the overall car has coarse vibrations and too noisy that the comfort factor if any achieved is negated by all other sensory organs. If I'm driving alone, I might just blast past the bad patch. I do not mind it. But it's very rare that I drive alone.This car is certainly fun to drive if you are doing solo, it will go in any nook and corner and can make fast U-turns in narrow roads too in a single shot.

Also as CrAzy dRiVeR explained, the front is a lot lot more composed than the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I think a baby seat will pacify the little one a lot... The problem with Xcent is that the rear bench is very narrow and once the baby seat is there, only one adult can use that space.
You nailed it, that's the actual issue with the baby seat in the rear. The seat belts cannot be secured to the baby seat if you put it right in the middle. I should perhaps give it a try for the larger one, but that should go to the front seat only. It makes this car useless as mostly the entire family travels all the time. It's really that only one more adult can sit and my daughter is growing up to occupy the space of an adult.

I'm actually inclined to a new Ertiga / XL6 considering this factor. Ertiga was a contender when I was making this vehicle purchase, but now I feel a bit of regret in having slightly erred in that decision (for the duration I wanted to keep the vehicle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
Hey i have had major issues in my 2014 Grand i10.
Ever since i posted this alot of Team BHP readers who own this model have inboxed me over Instagram etc seeking opinions.
If you have any issues, kindly feel free to inbox.
Sure will reach out to you, but in your case you seemed to be concerned about the front seat comfort as well. For me, I feel a degradation. It's really not that I was unhappy from day one. When I bought it, I felt the comfort miles ahead of my outgoing i10. So this is more of a degradation aspect.

I've seen this YouTube video of a popular auto blogger in Kerala, Baiju Nair endorsing something called Stabilizer Pro, which is actually a piece of synthetic + rubber material which is guided along the coil springs. I do not know if this is actually any good, moreover I feel that's going to strain the suspension more than what it's designed for. I didn't quite get the dynamics change which it introduces - Is it making suspension soft -> hard, or hard -> soft ? Because to me it felt, that rubber is actually short circuiting the coil spring range. Where this could be negatively affecting ? Highway runs at high speed ? If this was so easy, companies would have fitted it right out of the factory.

For my driving style, I think should look for soft suspension. I do not do sharp turns at high speeds, if the vehicle becomes wavy at high speeds due to undulations in high way, I can go easy on accelerator. My primary problem is long drives in two lane winding state highways in Kerala with an always patchy and rough road terrain. Due to constant twists and turns on this road, with family they cannot tolerate anyway turns at normal speeds, so I will obviously be driving slow
Old 13th March 2022, 23:29   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Is there today an Indian law which mandates usage of baby car seats or anything like that ?
Apologies if you find it inappropriate. The question was only about safety and not about laws. I mentioned international laws because sometimes I find them more aligned with the safety standards.

In my understanding kids in front seat face danger from frontal airbag deployments. This is the reason why are they facing the other way so that the airbag does not deploy to their face.

https://www.healthline.com/health/wh...airbag-dangers

Sorry for the long post, but my intention is only towards the safety of the kid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks