Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2014, 02:52   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
...However, what makes me wonder is overlap Hyundai will inject with 1.4 Xcent. Already there is more than enough overlap among Grand i10, Xcent and Elite i20 when we factor in petrol motor.
The 1.4 diesel Xcent will certainly result in a price increase bridging the gap between Xcent and Elite i20....
i20 is a lot more premium than Grand i10 or Xcent. For a person who looks at a more premium car would NOT buy an Xcent. At the same time, a guy who wants a boot would NOT buy an i20.

The 1.4L Xcent will ONLY manage to confuse guys like me, who would look at a "more complete car" who otherwise would vote down a 1.1L Xcent. I personally would have NEVER touched an Xcent with 1.1L 3 pot motor, but I will definitely give it a thought with a 1.4L engine. For me, that makes it a lot more "all rounder".
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2014, 23:51   #317
Team-BHP Support

Question to all AT owners:

What is the rpm corresponding to 80 / 100 and 120 kmph speeds? The 4th gear appears to be rather tall.

My car has not seen speeds north of 80 kmph yet (Thanks to kerala roads), hence the question.
Old 29th December 2014, 01:45   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

However- the same 1.4L can transform the Xcent diesel into a superior package for the segment. Best performance, best quality, best features, almost class- leading space. Should be tough competition for the DZire.
Have you checked out the Zest?
IMO, the Xcent is comfortable only for 2 adults at the rear.
Old 29th December 2014, 09:58   #319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Have you checked out the Zest?
IMO, the Xcent is comfortable only for 2 adults at the rear.
Yes. True. Zest is indeed wider. That's why I mentioned 'almost class leading'.

Xcent has it's own advantages in terms of legroom, minimal floor hump (floor hump is too high for comfort in Zest), more usable boot space, rear seat center armrest, rear a/c vents, 12V power socket, two proper 1L bottle holders and two cup holders at the rear etc.

Not a bad proposition if 5 people don't travel always!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 11:35   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. True. Zest is indeed wider. That's why I mentioned 'almost class leading'.

Xcent has it's own advantages in terms of legroom, minimal floor hump (floor hump is too high for comfort in Zest), more usable boot space, rear seat center armrest, rear a/c vents, 12V power socket, two proper 1L bottle holders and two cup holders at the rear etc.

Not a bad proposition if 5 people don't travel always!
Well, 5 cannot travel even once together! Every weekend I will have 5 adults traveling in my car and that single point excluded Xcent out of my options list.
Nothing but the cup holders and 1L bottle holders will be missed, at least for me!
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 11:50   #321
BANNED

Hi,
I have booked Xcent S(O) petrol white. December discount 5K and few accessories dealer offered.
My dealer have this car in stock, as per him car manufactured in October.
I am new buyer, so is it worth to buy 2 month old car in stock?
Please advise necessary accessories for S(O) 1.2. Also provide input regarding mandatory coatings? (Teflon/antirust underbody etc)
Old 30th December 2014, 12:45   #322
BANNED

Hi,

I am confused with decoding of VIN number for my booked hyundai S(O) car.
As per team bhp guideline document,
1)10th character represents model year but as per VIN number of car the character is 'L' hence L will 2020 if A stands for 2010.
2) 19th charcter should represent month but i got VIN number of 18 digits only.

Please help..
Old 30th December 2014, 12:55   #323
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The 1.4 CRDi featuring on the Xcent is welcome news!

The 1.1 CRDi may be good enough for the Grand i10, but the Xcent does need more. While the sedan weighs only ~ 20 kg more than the hatchback, it is not about the power-to-weight ratio in this case, but about the competition and their offerings.

Considering the Grand i10's hatchback competitors, its 1.1 CRDi with its 71 PS is smack in the middle in terms of power output (although it has one cylinder less), between competitors with power outputs in the 60 PS range and a variety of cars with the 75 PS MJD engine.

Among its sub-4m compact sedan rivals, the Xcent diesel's 71 PS does look less when compared to its direct rivals with 75 PS, 90 PS and 100 PS.

With that smooth, refined and punchy 90 PS 1.4 CRDi, the Xcent should get a massive boost in diesel format. I believe it was packaging and weight constraints that prevented Hyundai from offering this engine right from the car's launch.

My request to Hyundai - along with this diesel engine introduction, please introduce height adjustable front neck restraints, auto-locking doors and LED DRLs as well. And not to forget the most important bit - make at least a driver's airbag (if not two) a standard feature across the range!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Considering slightly premium segment targeted by Elite i20, a de-tuned 1.4 should fit the bill for Xcent.
One of Hyundai India's appreciable characteristics is that they do not believe in offering detuned engines to differentiate cars from different segments. Another is that they do not offer the same engine with different power/torque outputs in the same car at the same time. Hyundai Europe may follow these practices but Hyundai India does not, thankfully!

The power/torque outputs may differ by a couple of PS/Nm or so, in order to compensate for additional weight and different gearing (or an automatic gearbox). This has been the case with both their petrol and diesel engines so far. The Santro, Getz Prime 1.1 and i10 1.1 all have similar states of tune, as do the i10 1.2, i20, Grand i10, Xcent and Elite i20. The 1.4 CRDi is offered only in its 90 PS avatar in India on the i20, Verna 1.4 and Elite i20 (although a 75 PS version of this engine is also sold in Europe) and the 1.6 CRDi is offered only in its 128 PS state of tune on both the Verna and Elantra (although a lower powered version is also available in Europe). Even the old Verna and Getz shared the 1.5 CRDi engine in the same stonking 110 PS format.

If they do manage to squeeze in the 1.4 CRDi into the Xcent's engine bay, then I think it will come with the same 90 PS state of tune. It may, however, get a 5-speed gearbox (instead of the 6-speed one) to keep costs competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarsw View Post
I have booked Xcent S(O) petrol white. December discount 5K and few accessories dealer offered.
My dealer have this car in stock, as per him car manufactured in October.
I am new buyer, so is it worth to buy 2 month old car in stock?
Please advise necessary accessories for S(O) 1.2. Also provide input regarding mandatory coatings? (Teflon/antirust underbody etc)
Congratulations on booking the Xcent! A two-month old car is quite normal and should do perfectly fine, but please do a thorough PDI by following Team-BHP's guidelines before paying the full amount.

Accessories depend on your needs and preferences. The ones that are a must are mud flaps and floor mats - do ensure that the dealer provides them for free. Ask them to also throw in a boot mat as a part of the deal, if you can.

I would suggest that you avoid getting coatings from the dealer. Teflon coating is not something that is recommended on Team-BHP.

I do recommend an underbody coating (at least for coastal cities) but I would suggest getting it done from an independent 3M franchisee, and not the dealer! Go for the 3M coating with a 5-year warranty as it offers better noise insulation.

Quote:
I am confused with decoding of VIN number for my booked hyundai S(O) car.
As per team bhp guideline document,
1)10th character represents model year but as per VIN number of car the character is 'L' hence L will 2020 if A stands for 2010.
2) 19th charcter should represent month but i got VIN number of 18 digits only.
Please check with the salesperson about the VIN again. The year should be 2014, which should translate as an E for the VIN's 10th character.

The month of manufacture can be found on the 19-character VIN found stamped on the metal panel below the driver's seat. It consists of the 17-character VIN, followed by * and a letter which represents the month of manufacture.

Last edited by RSR : 30th December 2014 at 13:17. Reason: Including reply
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 15:22   #324
Senior - BHPian

Is the Xcent engine bay big enough to accommodate a 1.4L engine? I was under the impression that the smaller engine bay was the primary reason Xcent could offer the class-leading boot space while still fitting within the 4m length. i20 engine bay that houses the 1.4L CRDI now is much more longer than the Xcent.

Even if they somehow manage to squeeze and pack the 1.4 CRDI into the Xcent engine bay, it remains to be seen how well they can handle the cooling requirements.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 12:28   #325
BHPian

Hi

I have just completed a 2200 kms drive in the Xcent AT. A fairly detailed trip report is available on my ownership thread at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...nt-sx-o-6.html

Overall quite enjoyed the trip in this lovely car. Some aspects surprised me a lot.

Cheers

Rajain
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 16:16   #326
BANNED

This is consecutively third month, sale of xcent going down and down.
Don’t know why such a competent car not making good numbers against dzire and amaze.
Old 7th January 2015, 17:26   #327
BANNED

Quote:
Don’t know why such a competent car not making good numbers against dzire and amaze.
IMO, Xcent's rear is such an ugly one - worse than DZire Tour's. The good good-looking Grand i10's rear became the worst of the lot.
Old 7th January 2015, 18:12   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
IMO, Xcent's rear is such an ugly one - worse than DZire Tour's. The good good-looking Grand i10's rear became the worst of the lot.
Looks are subjective, yes. So full respect to your choice - but I totally fail to understand how the Xcent is worse than a DZire Tour!

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_0985b_800.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20130401_091018.jpg

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_0982c_800.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-4wuwwl.jpg

* DZire pics sourced from google image search.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 01:37   #329
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even without the old Dzire Tour's numbers, the DZire is way ahead of the rest of its sub-4m competitors in terms of monthly sales. The upcoming facelift would also help it cement its position.

It really is a very tough fight for the next spot between the Amaze, Xcent and Zest. Amaze's numbers are going up and down in a volatile manner, while the Zest is steadily picking up. The Xcent does have a fight on its hands, and the next gen. Figo/Ka sub-4m sedan and VW compact sedan would complicate things further.

I think Hyundai have identified a way to try and boost the Xcent's sales, by reportedly attempting to squeeze in the 90 PS 1.4 CRDi into its engine bay. Consider this advertisement for December offers:

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-image.jpg

With a total offer of ₹ 48k for the diesel models, but only ₹ 15k for the petrol ones, there is hardly any doubt that the 1.2 petrol engine is contributing the lion's share of Xcent's monthly sales (do note that the offers for the Verna & Elantra sedans are more balanced). The 1.4 CRDi has the potential to correct this and make the sales ratio less skewed. Generally, C1 sedan buyers tend to have a higher preference for diesel as the fuel of choice (when compared to B2 hatchback buyers), although petrol is slowly clawing its way back - thanks to the recent narrowing of the difference in prices between the two fuels.

The Xcent sure does need the 1.4 CRDi to take on its sub-4m diesel-engined rivals.

Last edited by RSR : 9th January 2015 at 01:47.
Old 9th January 2015, 09:12   #330
BANNED

Quote:
Looks are subjective, yes. So full respect to your choice - but I totally fail to understand how the Xcent is worse than a DZire Tour!
Yes, respect your view too.

But I don't have the pics to prove what I mean; when Xcent's rear is viewed from an elevated angle, it is such a horrible scene. There is no symmetrical flow in the design from that angle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks