Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2016, 17:56   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

I noticed that there was a slight pull to my right after the 2 year service for my Xcent SXO AT petrol. I am sending it again for a check up. A wheel alignment was done during the service and I think they haven't done it well. Will update after the car returns tomorrow.
Old 23rd June 2016, 20:11   #527
Senior - BHPian

Dealer returned the car after a repeat wheel alignment. Car is better, but will have to check on the highway or a bigger road.
I swapped the headlights for Philips X-treme Vision +130% H4 (Twin Pack) which I had purchased almost a year ago. I got a local mechanic to do it and he finished the job in 5 minutes! The right headlamp was easy, the left was a little tougher. Wish I had taken pics!
Again, I will have to do some night driving to check out the difference.
My car is officially out of warranty with no possibility of an extended warranty as Hyundai has not offered it for the AT versions of the xcent - quite annoyed.
Old 2nd July 2016, 08:19   #528
Senior - BHPian

Feels lonely in this thread.
Finally kid a mileage check on my xcent SXO petrol AT.
I used the tankful method and got 400 km for 36 litres. This is about 11 kmpl. Drive was 250 km in the city and 150 on highway.
I am presently doing a long drive over the weekend and hope to get highway figures.
Did a 400 km highway trip from Vellore to Coimbatore. Roads were excellent.
The Xcent is definitely no highway king. On any stretch that is straight and flat it handles well. Any lane change or even mild curves it shows its below average handling. Above 100 kmph that handling is more nervous.
This does not translate to "not recommended on highways" , but rather to be more cautious and aware of this when you hit the highway.
Braking is excellent. None of the situations warranted emergency braking for abs to kick in.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 17:10   #529
BHPian

Hi Guys

My cousin and his friend are experiencing the below:

Occasionally brake will have a wooden feel and has no effect and stopping power. It is more like the brake is no more power assisted. This happens mostly on very low speed (mostly on bumper to bumper traffic) when the ride is on first or second gear. I can not remember it happened in normal traffic or in highways. When you ride it with half clutch or no clutch in 1st or second gear for sometime, suddenly brake pedal appears as a rock with no effect when pressed.If you press hard for two-three times, it comes back to normal.

This happened a 5-6 month before and I took the car to HASS. Unfortunately the problem could not be reproduced during the test drive. They did a general checkup and bleeding of the brake system. Also did the scanning for any errors, but nothing popped out. The problem was not there for a few months, but it started again. Took the car again to the same service center, but the SA could not find any issues during the test ride. I specifically asked him to ride in the same scenario as I experienced, but he said he could not find the issue. He did a general checkup/bleeding as done before. But when I did the test driver after that, I could reproduce the problem. SA told they will write to Hyundai about any known issue, however I am not so hopeful with that. Car's warranty is getting expired this month end and I would like to sort this out at the earliest. Expecting valuable suggestions from experts.

Mod Note: Please do not external editors to format a post.

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2016 at 12:14. Reason: Formatted Post; Removed unwanted tags
Old 11th July 2016, 18:33   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by english View Post
Hi Guys

My cousin and his friend are experiencing the below:
Is thecar equipped with ABS? I have heard some users who have experienced vague braking at low speeds in ABS equipped cars. Will try to dig out those posts.
I have an SXO Automatic and have never faced this issue.
I would strongly recommend your cousin purchases extended warranty as it will always be handy.
Old 11th July 2016, 18:59   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Is thecar equipped with ABS? I have heard some users who have experienced vague braking at low speeds in ABS equipped cars. .
Yes, it's with ABS. Agree, good to go with extended warranty.
Old 27th August 2016, 19:59   #532
BHPian

Update from my friend :

Here is the update of the brake issue.

Did the 3rd (20000km) service on 3rd week of July.
This time , I met the GM of the service center (Lakshmi Hyundai) Mr.Ravishankar.
He patiently listened and immediately took a test drive with me.
He mentioned that the problem is an expected behavior.
However I could not agree as the problem was gradually developed in my car.
There was no issue for the first ~15 months, then it showed up gradually increasing the frequency of occurrence.
Moreover if the problem is expected, then there is something needs to be addressed in the design itself.

Fortunately during test drive he tried to create the scenario I explained and could experience the problem.
He told that he will refer this to Hyundai engineer.
Next week, we took a test drive with Hyundai engineer who finally recommended to replace the part called Hose-Brake Booster Vacuum.
It took a while to get the part to be available from Hyundai, but finally after replacement all looks good so far.

Even though it took sometime to reach a final solution, I am really impressed with the way Mr.Ravishankar handled it.
He helped me to get the extended warranty as well.
english is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 00:09   #533
BHPian

Recently, on a long trip, my friends had fiddled with my car's bluetooth and its settings. After the trip, noticed that the incoming/outgoing calls are not heard in the speaker, meaning I am not able to speak/hear anything when my mobile is paired to the car's bluetooth.

But, I am able to play music from my mobile via BT and no issues there. Wondering what would be the issue, any suggestions?

Anyways not bothered about the call functionality not working since I don't use them in the first place. Thought of showing it to the service center during my 3rd service due in 4-5 months. I suspect some of the setting might have been changed or any other issues, but I am unable to figure out anything.
Old 28th September 2016, 09:10   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Recently, on a long trip, my friends had fiddled with my car's bluetooth and its settings. After the trip, noticed that the incoming/outgoing calls are not heard in the speaker, meaning I am not able to speak/hear anything when my mobile is paired to the car's bluetooth.

But, I am able to play music from my mobile via BT and no issues there. Wondering what would be the issue, any suggestions?

Anyways not bothered about the call functionality not working since I don't use them in the first place. Thought of showing it to the service center during my 3rd service due in 4-5 months. I suspect some of the setting might have been changed or any other issues, but I am unable to figure out anything.
During a call, try increasing the volume using the steering mounted controls, see if it works. I faced the same issue as yours on my Grand i10 and thought the speaker had gone kaput. However, on increasing the volume it started working fine.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 11:30   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
During a call, try increasing the volume using the steering mounted controls, see if it works. I faced the same issue as yours on my Grand i10 and thought the speaker had gone kaput. However, on increasing the volume it started working fine.
Thanks for your input - let me try the same and see whether this fixes the issue.
Old 28th September 2016, 13:26   #536
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Thanks for your input - let me try the same and see whether this fixes the issue.
Also, do maximise the Bluetooth call volume on your paired phone. This is advisable after every new Bluetooth pairing.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 10:13   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Indeed this has fixed the issue - the volume was set at "0" for the incoming/outgoing calls. The issue resolved once I increased the volume during a call from the steering mounted controls. Thanks a ton for this suggestion.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 07:53   #538
BHPian

Took Delivery of my Petrol MT SX(O) yesterday. Two things I noticed, which are different from the Demo Car and the the test car in this thread.
1) There's no CD Player in the HU. Checked the Hyundai site and find that the CD Player has been removed on the Grand i10, Xcent and Elite i20 too. When has this been discontinued?
2) The Spare is a steel wheel with specs of the lower variants. 165/65 R14, instead of the 175/60 R15 which are only shod on the Top Spec'ed car.
Can someone please confirm? Can't find any information on the Hyundai Website.
Old 3rd October 2016, 09:16   #539
Senior - BHPian

My Xcent has done completed almost 2.5 years, and for the first time, I am beginning to notice an issue, with an otherwise very reliable car.

This generally happens during very low speed driving for example, reversing with half clutch, or taking out the car from roadside parking with frequent use of brakes.

The brake pedal becomes kind of "hard", almost like it has no power and the engine is switched off (although it is on). Declutching and clutching solves the problem, but it is not only irritating but sometimes a security issue, in case I want car to stop immediately.

I has similar problem in my Spark, and I actually could never reproduce or explain the issue to Chevrolet. I fear same will be the case here too.

Keeping fingers crossed, will show the car to Hyundai A.S.S and let's see what they say.

Anyone having experienced similar issues?
Old 3rd October 2016, 09:55   #540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The brake pedal becomes kind of "hard", almost like it has no power and the engine is switched off (although it is on). Declutching and clutching solves the problem, but it is not only irritating but sometimes a security issue, in case I want car to stop immediately.
Have heard this behavior in many petrol engined small cars - Swift, 1.2 Punto etc. First time I'm hearing this with Xcent though.

Yes, you need to be careful in traffic jam. My friend had an incident where he was stuck in traffic for sometime and the brakes did not respond when he needed. The car rear ended an Indica, but no damages thanks to the low speeds. It just didn't stop, even at rolling speeds.

One way to overcome this would be to slightly rev the engine occasionally when stuck in traffic block where lot of idling and frequent braking are required.

Most Viewed