Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2016, 15:29   #406
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Celerio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Is this a routine job for the celerio at the maruti a.s.s. or is it done by independent garages? Can it be done as a diy job?
It should be an easy DIY if you buy the filter from a maruti genuine spare part store. Look up threads on the forum where DIY steps are explained. Very similar to WagonR. If you remove the glove box you will be able to see the slot where the AC Filter (aka Cabin air filter) sits.
I got it done for our WagonR at the Maruti A.S.S and they charged only for the part, no separate labour charges.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 16:21   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In the city, you can expect something in the range of 11-14(tankfull to tankfull) for an office commute. If you are running errands only, like say short distances, it drops to 10-12(tankfull to tankfull). On the highways, even with a heavy foot you get around 17-18 which goes all the way to 21(23.5 on the MID) with a sedate pace of around 80-100. Normally I have found the MID to be optimistic by about 5-6%.
Thanks for the super fast response. What has been your overall ownership experience with the Celerio AMT so far - any specific pain points? Also, have you come across situations where you have had to shift to the Manual mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
His requirements are simple, Small car with MT/AMT/AT option, features include AC/Power Steering & Windows. I have choosen LXI AMT ABS as the preferred version.
Did you consider the Kwid AMT as well? I am doing a evaluation between the new Kwid AMT and the Celerio AMT - undecided as of now - still seeking inputs.
Old 13th December 2016, 16:27   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Did you consider the Kwid AMT as well? I am doing a evaluation between the new Kwid AMT and the Celerio AMT - undecided as of now - still seeking inputs.
Yes, Kwid was considered. Took a Test Drive last Saturday and came out unimpressed. Car is good no doubt, but that AMT is very jerky. After driving some Torque Convertors, CVTs, DSGs this AMT feels very basic & crappy. I am yet to drive the Celerio AMT. This weekend will be test driving few cars.

Celerio is currently the 1st Choice (AMT Option/ABS + Airbags on LXI Trim).
Old 13th December 2016, 16:43   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the super fast response. What has been your overall ownership experience with the Celerio AMT so far - any specific pain points? Also, have you come across situations where you have had to shift to the Manual mode?
Well, I did 4200kms in exactly three months of ownership, after which I had to come abroad till this week. That distance was shared 80:20 between me and my father who is currently using the car back at home. It should have reached the 5k mark. In all the cars we have had at home, this is one which has been utilised the most.

Overall, I am happy with the car. Of course, we should keep the comparison limited to the segment only to keep expectations realistic. Apart from the clutch developing some shudder at 2k kms, which is a little annoying, there are no pain points as such. Either ways, I will be insisting on a clutch change through warranty during second service. I guess this issue is common with all AMTs though.

Since the car is used pretty enthusiastically to potter around town, the manual mode has been extensively used by both me and my father. If I have to strike a balance, I have been using it 50:50. The main pointers towards using Manual mode are
  • When driving in residential areas, I always keep the speed less than 40kmph. However, the AMT has a tendency to upshift early which means the transmission regularly shuttles between 2-3 and even 4. This leads to unnecessary wear of the transmission and also we end up slowing down the car by braking now and then. Instead, in M mode, I get to keep the car within 2 and 3 so that in 3rd gear, I dont trigger an upshift by crossing 30kmph and can use engine braking to slow down. I dont do it always but sometimes I just have to go to a place a couple of roads away, and such cases the M mode comes to play.
  • I use it in the famed ORR traffic to limit the gear to 1. In auto, the shift to 2 happens as soon as we cross 10kmph. In bumper traffic, I dont like this so would rather keep crawling in 1st as long as the road ahead doesnt open up. Prevents unnecessary upshifts.
  • On the highways, 5-4 downshift is very aggressive, which is sometimes not needed(or I dont like it) hence I usually lock it in 5 or 4 and in this case too, the M mode really helps.
  • Sometimes, if we spot a signal ahead, and let go of the throttle, the TCM will trigger an upshift. In such a situation, I momentarily push the stick to M so that this is avoided.
  • Overall, you can have better engine braking by staying put in a gear rather than letting the TCM upshift to lug the engine. Hence, braking is also better. There wont be any brake fade after a long drive in traffic. If I use the auto mode throughout the journey back home, the brakes would have become a tad less sensitive by the time I reach home.
The M mode is mainly used within my house area, in a traffic jam and on the highway. Rest of the places, the automatic box knows what to do. Even while overtaking, you dont need M since the downshifts are pretty accurate and ontime. However, if you feel you should stick to a certain gear for a longer time, it helps a lot.

Hope that explains why we need a manual mode badly. Without it, I would have not brought the car.

Last edited by audioholic : 13th December 2016 at 16:46.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 19:00   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Celerio is currently the 1st Choice (AMT Option/ABS + Airbags on LXI Trim).
I did a Test Drive today of the Celerio AMT. The initial pick up and performance over slopes seemed pretty good. The cabin interior felt plain jane as compared to the Kwid. The AMT accessories are confusing - they don't get Alloy Wheels and no Fog Lamps. So those would need to be added irrespective of LXI/VXI/ZXI.

The main advantages over the Kwid seem to be: Manual Mode, Gear Indicator where it shows the specific gear and 14 inch wheels. I am not sure if the Creep function is useful or not based on just a test drive.

I read over on one of the other threads that the Ignis is set for a 13-Jan-2017 Launch (via Nexa). I am guessing the Ignis pricing will overlap with the Celerio and hence it may possibly make sense to wait a month to see how that one fares as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Even while overtaking, you dont need M since the downshifts are pretty accurate and ontime. However, if you feel you should stick to a certain gear for a longer time, it helps a lot.
Interesting statement, I had thought the M would be useful mainly for overtakes. This is indeed a very good input for me coming from an experienced owner of an AMT. Thanks for that
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 23:11   #411
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Need an advice, Ive booked a celerio amt zxi version planning to change the tyres and alloys (no alloys for celerio amt) in the first week itself, planning for a 195/55R14 the stock tyres are 165/75R14, my doubt is will it decrease the handing and mileage? also i got an offer from goodyear ie; 175/65 R14 for 4600/ tyre and fourth one free should I stick with this offer?
Old 25th December 2016, 17:12   #412
BHPian

Got art leather seat covers(@Rs.9500/-) from Autoform installed on our Celerio, inspired by (copied from, actually) the Innova Crysta seat covers!!
Also got the rear spoiler for the car!(@Rs.2700/-)
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Celerio : Official Review-img_20161225_121221.jpg  

Maruti Celerio : Official Review-img_20161225_121350.jpg  

Maruti Celerio : Official Review-img_20161225_170851.jpg  

Last edited by espraveen : 25th December 2016 at 17:14.
espraveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 17:58   #413
BHPian

I was looking for an AMT for my wife. Initially, was interested in Kwid AMT but Team BHP review got me thinking. Also, Kwid AMT test drive was uninspiring; absence of creep mode was very evident in test drive plus lack of essential features like OVRM adjustment was a deal broker.

Test drove Celerio ZXI(O) AMT and felt much refined with steering mounted controls plus safety features like ABS and passenger airbag felt right. Today, I have booked Celerio ZXI(O) AMT (Blazing Red color) by paying token advance and have been promised delivery in 2 days after receipt of full amount.

I have been closely following the threads of Kwid AMT and Celerio AMT and this immensely helped my decision!
Acelerar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 12:01   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
No such issues faced. Coming from a Swift diesel I feel the steering to be light enough and no vibrations at all at 100-120 kmph.
The steering is quite good & light for the size of this car and city driving conditions. I did see some difference in the feedback from the steering after changing to alloys. Car feels much more planted and steering is more predictable now.
chaxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 12:08   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone share some actual real life usage stats on the mileage for a Celerio Automatic in city and highway driving conditions?
I am considering the Celerio AMT and wanted some additional details in terms of the mileage. Also what is the service interval for the Celerio?
i am getting 13.8 kmpl till now based on 5000 kms driven. i drive mostly in city in crowded traffic conditions with 50% Ac usage. The average has been improving steadily and i guess it may improve further. However, I tend to also revv up the engine quite a bit and that i am sure will sip more fuel. I like the little pocket rocket feel this car gives when you rev it up in manual mode + 1 downshift

Last edited by chaxy : 27th December 2016 at 12:15.
chaxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:54   #416
BHPian

I have a clutch slip problem in my Celerio AMT. Has anyone else had the same issue and gotten it resolved? Recently completed the 20 K service and i had informed the service adviser to try and fix it. He says he has done the needful but i still notice the issue. Basically in 1st gear when you gently tap the throttle and move from standstill, i feel jerking. Happens when the terrain is not favorable i.e. gradient or when the vehicle is turning sharp (when the engine has to strain itself a bit to move). Don't notice it when i floor the throttle though.
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:36   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
I have a clutch slip problem in my Celerio AMT. Has anyone else had the same issue and gotten it resolved? Recently completed the 20 K service and i had informed the service adviser to try and fix it. He says he has done the needful but i still notice the issue. Basically in 1st gear when you gently tap the throttle and move from standstill, i feel jerking. Happens when the terrain is not favorable i.e. gradient or when the vehicle is turning sharp (when the engine has to strain itself a bit to move). Don't notice it when i floor the throttle though.
This is the judder issue that crops up with some cars. My car has an annoying judder though it has only covered 5200 kms till now. Will get the issue rectified during the upcoming service. The problem worsens after the clutch gets hot.
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:14   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
I believe clutch plate needs replacement. My 2014 Celerio clutch replaced under warranty@12500 kms. Push for replacement under warranty.
Initially I too faced too much juddering especially when climbing basement ramp in the mornings. One fine day vehicle stopped in the middle of the road. I have to make couple of service center visits before they take up the repair under warranty.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 22:44   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

As discussed, I got the second service of my Celerio done today and got the clutch disc/plate replaced under warranty. The issue had surfaced as early as 2.5k kms and it became worse by 5k. Had reported this issue with the transmission software back then itself but the usual 'We know our stuff' attitude played that time. But now they were caught and no more justifications were done. The clutch disc was replaced and now the transmission is smooth as butter. The cost of the disc is 800 so thats something not to worry even if in the future there is an issue. Definitely not a bomb to repair.

A few insights on the issue and the transmission:
  • Issue is mainly because the TCM leaves clutch in half engaged position when accelerating from slow speeds in 2nd gear
  • This slipping of clutch causes some scarring on the disc leading to judder which is a problem in manual cars also.
  • If you approach a hump and then accelerate with the transmission in 2nd, you can realise the clutch is being slipped for a few seconds.
  • SA assured that this was a defect with the disc and not a regular occurrence.
  • TCM was reset and now in the process of relearning my driving style. It now shifts earlier than required
  • A possible way to avoid clutch slipping in 2nd is to kickdown to 1st when the car speed drops to less than 20kmph. Once the transmission learns this, it shifts back to 1st when car slows down instead of slipping clutch in 2nd
  • The transmission can be taught your driving style which I am finding very useful. Now I rarely feel that the car is in the wrong gear. For those who want to do some teaching, get the TCM learning reset during the next service through the SDT.
  • Once reset, drive around in D and let go of the throttle whenever you expect an upshift and kickdown the pedal when you require a down shift. A few kms of teaching this way will make the transmission behave just the way you want it to
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 21:08   #420
BHPian

Got the delivery of Celerio AMT ZXI(O) (Blazing Red color) on January 2nd for my wife. Thanks a ton for the review and all the comments in team BHP which helped me to consider it over Kwid AMT.

So far the experience is good but as mentioned here already AMT shift is very noticeable and not all that smooth.

I noticed the following issues for which I request experienced owners to give their feedback:

1) The steering feels very hard to me and after full turns in round about, the steering does not come back completely when I leave the steering. I never had this issue in any of my previous cars (Santro, Ford Fiesta, Terrano). I already took it to service station once (didn't have much time as it was closing in the evening) but after Service Manager drove it for some distance the reply was "Sir, it is like this only; it will get better after 1 month or so" but I am not convinced. Also, when the car is stationary, I feel that steering can be moved bit more in either direction than my Terrano. Could you please let me if this is the issue with all Celerio's (Hard with EPS steering provided) or specific to my car only?

2) In my Celerio AMT ZXI(O), when the Car is locked, I do not see the blinking red dot which indicates the engine immobilizer in the car display (Like how it blinks in my Terrano). Is this normal? I guess showing this blinking red dot helps to discourage thieves and hence I was wondering why it is not shown.

3) I took the car from Varun Motors, Malleshwaram, Bangalore. Delivery was very well done with cake cutting and great hospitality. But when I drove from the Parking lot, I immediately noticed that glove box lock is loose and would come off during uphill or when going over speed breakers. I am surprised to see this issue in new car and will push for the replacement of detachable section of glove box. I am just hoping that this is not part of any big issue like incorrect handling of car in inventory or so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks