Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2014, 17:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti Celerio : Official Review

Having driven the AMT equipped Celerio, I wonder if it is really a breeze to drive in thick traffic. When I took a test drive, I found the outright acceleration to be a little annoying (in the full auto mode) as there was a very evident delay for the power to be transmitted from the gearbox to the wheels.

Also, I found the shifts to be pretty jerky. Maybe its a breeze to those who are not used to a automatic at all. For folks who have used an automatic, the AMT needs some getting used to and it isn't very fun to drive (IMO).

Last edited by vinair : 4th June 2014 at 17:58.
vinair is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 19:34   #32
BHPian

Brilliant review and thanks for sharing.

Went for a test drive last Sunday as soon as I heard about the launch of Green Celerio (CNG). The dealers say they won't have a CNG vehicle for test drives for any models.

The test drive was a very short one on a Zxi MT variant on an abandoned road hence I couldn't assess the car much.

I felt the low end torque isn't adequate and needs little bit of heavy foot. But once you gain speed the drive becomes smooth.

Gear shifts I felt were disconnected from the gear box, you don't get the feel of changing gears but hear a clacking sound for each shift.

Now the important point. The seats I felt are waffer thin and as rightly pointed out in the review the rear seat bench lacks under thigh support.

On the other hand if you look at the Wagon R green variant it proves out to be more value for money than the Celerio Green.

What I get in the Wagon R against Celerio Green are primarily cushioned seats which means extra comfort and front and rear head restraints.

What I miss in the wagon R are power windows, wider/taller tyres and wider seat.

There is roughly 30 K difference between these two cars (OTR Hyderabad) which makes you think get second thoughts.

Overall, it would make sense for those going for the AMT.
Abhi_abarth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 22:59   #33

Thanks Rehaan for the excellent review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Understanding the AMT better:

• If you're lugging uphill (not pressing the accelerator) and the incline or load gets too much for the car, it won't accelerate any further. Instead, the AMT will just disengage the clutch and you start rolling backwards!
This seems odd and unsafe. Does it mean that one needs to constantly press the accelerator when driving uphill - or else, the car might slowdown and start rolling backwards?
agnimidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 01:00   #34

Rehaan,

Splendid review. Meticulously explained many unknown key advantages of the new AMT.
MSIL had definitely added one more feather on their cap. Thanks to maruti for presenting a well rounded, 4 Lakh budget hatch with such a cool AMT feature.

They made a good decision by not launching this AMT on a premium hatch with much more premium asking. There are premium products available in market with much advanced technologies.

can't ask for anything more expect to bring down the waiting periods. The VXI AMT is a pure paisa-vasool . An economically Pleasurable solution to the never ending bumper to bumper urban traffic.
No wonder why 55% of the buyers are the fairer sex.

But truly disappointed with the way the safety parameters ABS, AirBags are given a miss on the hot selling variants!
Hope they set an example to competitors by making safety a standard rather than a luxury!!
diliprayar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 02:13   #35
e46
BHPian

Dear Rehaan along with GTO,

Splendid and thorough review, as expected from team-bhp. I would however, like to know if am allowed to, what took you guys close to 4 months to come up with this. I believe, this is the first time we had to wait this much.

Kudos again.

Abhi
Old 5th June 2014, 08:59   #36
BHPian

Good overall review!

Quote:
How did you arrive at the Transmission Efficiency values?
Further, "transmission efficiency" is of no consequence to the consumer, fuel efficiency is. Instead of "transmission efficiency", having 'fuel efficiency' or the 'influence on overall fuel efficiency / economy' would be more meaningful and relevant.

Last edited by Kaumad : 5th June 2014 at 09:16.
Old 5th June 2014, 09:28   #37
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review and neat snaps to boot. Many thanks Rehaan, GTO.

Weird that Maruti opted ABS and airbags out of the ZXi AMT trim. The top-end model of any car usually has all the bells and whistles. Interiors look good for a budget car. The audio system with the BT connectivity and the steering mounted controls to be specific. I really hope that the AMT gearbox proves to be a reliable unit in the long run.

Shameful of Maruti to not have offered a car for the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
what took you guys close to 4 months to come up with this.
Quoting GTO's post from the other Celerio thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Unfortunately, Maruti doesn't seem to have a review car for Team-BHP & its users. Their response has been far from satisfactory, despite email & phone interactions.

We're now going to borrow a generous Team-BHP fan's car, just as we had for our Swift Official Review (link (Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review)). Hopefully, this happens soon and we have our report on the Celerio up.

A detailed, unbiased & benchmark review will come for sure, there's no doubt on that. We're very firm about providing a neutral opinion on every car launched in India.

Nothing can keep us away from a new car, not even its own maker . Team-BHP owes this to its 19 lakh monthly visitors.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 11:45   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
MUL should next bring out a diesel mated with an AMT which will definitely be a bigger hit.
Diesel & AMTs are coming in a big way. I think Tata will have the first-mover advantage there (Bolt & Zest), rather than Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
A TBHP review is a TBHP review...No matter how many other reviews I read, I don't get such details anywhere else. Kudos to everyone involved in this.

Quote:
The lack of gradient holding definitely was needed. A newbie driver will panic with the "rolling back". Up to 3ft is too much!
This is the first thing that Jainita (primary user of the Blue Celerio) complained about.

Quote:
18 Months waiting period!!! That's ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush_Traveller View Post
but right now MSIL is doing what its known for at its best .i.e waiting period.
Maruti was testing the waters with the AMT. You can't blame them. The Indian market is very unpredictable and when it comes to new technologies, investments usually follow demand (not the other way around). Once AMT production is localised, the waiting period will disappear. Remember, no car manufacturer enjoys waiting periods. As a businessman, would you rather have full payment today or after a year?

Quote:
Can this AMT controller be fixed to an alto for example?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
So is it possible to make my normal MT car an AMT by just attaching the Magneti Marelli box to the transmission ? Is it practically feasible ?
Don't see why not. An AMT can be added to pretty much any engine (at the factory level).

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Performance during AC load - any operational differences observed in the AMT operation?
As with most small cars powered by 1.0L engines, the engine definitely felt peppier with the air-con off. However, even with the air-con running, the Celerio is quick enough. Nowhere does it feel slow or under-powered. The healthy power-to-weight ratio is a big contributor to its performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Is cost the reason for Maruti to opt ZXi out?.
Definitely. They wanted to keep the 'perceived' cost of an automatic car low enough & Maruti has succeeded in that respect. Other than that, there's no reason to not offer a ZXi which has fatter profit margins (I'm dead sure the ZXi AMT will eventually be offered).

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think the overpricing the manual (and not worrying about its sales numbers) might be Maruti's trick. I dont think for AMT this car is rightly priced. They could have shaved few ten thousands on the price. But then they are in business !
True, they are in the business

Cars today are priced on the basis of 'the maximum price that a customer will pay', keeping in mind the desired volumes. No longer is it a simple cost + profit margin calculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
When I took a test drive, I found the outright acceleration to be a little annoying (in the full auto mode) as there was a very evident delay for the power to be transmitted from the gearbox to the wheels.

Also, I found the shifts to be pretty jerky.
Definitely. The AMT's style of gear-shifting takes a lot of getting used to. Even at the end of the 2 day drive, I found it extremely annoying (although it didn't bother Rehaan anymore). As Rehaan mentioned in his review, from those used to conventional (smoother) ATs, complaints will be inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnimidhun View Post
This seems odd and unsafe. Does it mean that one needs to constantly press the accelerator when driving uphill - or else, the car might slowdown and start rolling backwards?
On very steep inclines, yes. You either keep accelerating or use the handbrake.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 11:57   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Excellent review and neat snaps to boot. Many thanks Rehaan, GTO.

Weird that Maruti opted ABS and airbags out of the ZXi AMT trim. The top-end model of any car usually has all the bells and whistles. Interiors look good for a budget car. The audio system with the BT connectivity and the steering mounted controls to be specific. I really hope that the AMT gearbox proves to be a reliable unit in the long run.
Gannu, there's no ZXi trim with the AMT at all. AMT is available on Vxi trim without ABS/airbags and a host of other features.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 12:03   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Gannu, there's no ZXi trim with the AMT at all. AMT is available on Vxi trim without ABS/airbags and a host of other features.
OK I get it now. There is a ZXi variant for the manual but not the AMT. I got a bit confused with this one:

Quote:
What you won’t:

• ZXi trim and safety pack (ABS & Airbags) unavailable with the AMT.
Here are the different variants offered, courtesy carwale.com:

Maruti Celerio : Official Review-variants.jpg
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 12:34   #41
BHPian

Good review. Nice to see my hometown and the Bogmalo beach in the background. Thank you.
shivasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 12:48   #42
BHPian

A friend of mine took a test drive when this was newly launched. He shifted from D to M while driving and the car stalled for no reason. he pressed the brake and cranked it but it refused to start. It started only he put it to N , pressed the brake and gave it a crank. After a while he tried shifting it from D to M , the car stalled for the second time. It had hardly clocked 2K on the odo. What could be the reason ?
Old 5th June 2014, 14:02   #43
BHPian

I was looking for a AT vehicle. If the waiting period was not that long I would have bought the car by now.

The car is great for sedate city driving. You can *feel* the gearshifts if you are heavy footed.
Old 5th June 2014, 16:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful review !

It is possible to shift from D mode to M mode on the fly ?

Also, does the MID display the gear information in D mode also ?

Rohan
Old 5th June 2014, 17:39   #45
BHPian

Excellent review!!!

I wish the review included a comparison against the outgoing a-star AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Thanks for the wonderful review !

It is possible to shift from D mode to M mode on the fly ?

Rohan
Yes, it is mentioned in the review (refer post# 5), shift from D to M before overtaking on the highway.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 5th June 2014 at 17:41. Reason: edit
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed