Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:36   #136
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio : Official Review

Hats off to GTO & Mpower for the comprehensive review. As the saying goes "Patience is a virtue", the wait for the Mobilio review on T-BHP has brought to light even the minute and intricate details which, I dare say most other reviews have missed. Thanks once again.

To be honest, the most awaited MPV from the Honda stable is a bit of disappointment to me. While it ticks most of the boxes in the practicality and VFM factor front, I feel the quality to some extent and the part sharing with the Brio and Amaze is a bit of deal-breaker to a person like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

What you won't:

• Low 3rd-row seat is best for kids or occasional usage only. This isn't a full time 7-seater
• The Brio's unconventional dashboard & interior design are too basic for this class of car
• Front styling is identical to its smaller siblings. Face should have been differentiated
• i-DTEC isn't as refined or high-rpm friendly as the Ertiga diesel. Also, overall NVH insulation is poor
• Light build quality. Sheet metal feels very thin
• Brio-level cost cutting doesn't work at this price (slim seats, uneven shut lines, missing insulation & cladding)
• Many practical features missing (seatbelt height adjustment, adjustable front neck restraints, auto-locking doors, bluetooth connectivity, full MID etc.)
These are exactly my gripes as I went through the whole review. The Mobilio looks smashing from behind, but I'm afraid that is the only view which makes it look apart. I feel Maruti had done a better job with the styling of the Ertiga, even though it is based on the Swift / Dzire - it does stand out from its siblings.

That said, both the i-Vtec and the i-Dtec engines, space and the peace of mind regarding the ownership and Honda reliability might as well tip the scales in its favor and give the Ertiga a good competition.

Well, I guess the sales numbers will give us a better perspective about this new launch. Lets wait and watch.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:37   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So here's is the comparo on prices between Ertiga and Mobilio (Ex-Show room Delhi).

In Bangalore, this effectively means a huge difference between the 2 and as I had thought (if I was to decide between the two today), I would gladly pick up the Ertiga for what it offers me for the price and quality!
Don't you think VXI should compare against E and VXI ABS should compare against S variant?
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:40   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Don't you think VXI should compare against E and VXI ABS should compare against S variant?
Well you can, but we are comparing the Base-Mid-Top Variants more so because the Ertiga Diesel has ABS as standard for all variants but is optional in Petrols.

That said, the price difference still remains and like most of the cars sold in this bracket, those picking the base variant will be minimal and it will be more Mid and top variants that will sell more.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd July 2014 at 12:43.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:41   #139
Senior - BHPian

Honda Mobilio launched at Rs. 6.49 lakhs

The MPV will be available in 3 trims for the petrol E, S and V priced at Rs. 6.49 lakhs, Rs. 7.50 lakhs and Rs. 8.76 lakh respectively. The diesel gets 4 trims: E, S, V and RS, priced at Rs. 7.89 lakhs, Rs. 8.6 lakhs, Rs. 9.76 lakhs and Rs. 10.86 lakhs respectively. All prices are ex-showroom Delhi. The RS trim however, will be available only after September, 2014.

The 1.5 litre petrol engine is said to return a mileage of 17.3 kmpl while the 1.5 litre diesel is claimed to return 24.2 kmpl.

The Mobilio will be available in 7 colours - Tafeta White, Alabaster Silver, Carnelian Red, Majestic Blue, Urban Titanium, Brilliant Gold and Crystal Black Pearl (available with the RS trim only).

Link to news article

Last edited by S2!!! : 23rd July 2014 at 12:42.
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:43   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lets not forget that the Ertiga has 40 - 50K discounts on it right now
Yesterday motoroids reported that this was increased to 90K
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:47   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Yesterday motoroids reported that this was increased to 90K
I don't think so. Like discussed earlier, if at all there's such a huge discount, it will also include exchange bonus (20K) and other things.
A straight cash discount of 90,000 when its selling 4-5k units each months against the less selling SX4 that has a cash discount of 60K is something Maruti wont do.

Refer this post of mine for the applicable discounts for this Month.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd July 2014 at 12:49.
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:48   #142
BHPian

And here I was hoping that Ertiga will come with an additional discount post Mobilio launch.

From the looks of it, MSIL might just remove/ reduce the current discounts considering how Honda has gone the wrong way with their pricing...!
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:48   #143
BHPian

I am not sure why everyone is criticizing the pricing of Honda. We all know that in the eyes of the Indian public Honda is considered a premium product (atleast over Suzuki).
Also Mobilio has bigger and better engines in both diesel and petrol categories offering more power. Even the base variants have ABS.
I was expecting they will slot it between Ertiga and Innova and that is what they have done. I believe the product belongs between these two cars. Also having worked in Honda I also feel that once Jazz is launched there production capacity will be maxxed out and hence there monthly Mobilio targets might be 3-4K.

I guess the only issue which I have is with the car's interiors which I thought are plain vanilla.

Not great but yes sensible pricing!
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:55   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I don't think so. Like discussed earlier, if at all there's such a huge discount, it will also include exchange bonus (20K) and other things.
I stand corrected. Its a total discount of 70K which includes cash + exchange + corporate discount

Last edited by procrj : 23rd July 2014 at 12:56.
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:56   #145
BHPian

Quote:
From what angle, dude?

My eyes are starting to water. Top variant diesel is 1.25 lakhs more expensive than the Ertiga? Base variant is 66K higher?

Lets not forget that the Ertiga has 40 - 50K discounts on it right now. The difference is simply way too much.

Again, the Brio is positioned below the Swift. How is an MPV based on it more expensive than its Swift counterpart?

Shocker: A Honda City doesn't cost that much more
My comment was more on the launch price of base variant. My own estimate yesterday was a launch price of 6.39 lacs for petrol and 7.69 for diesel.

I think for the brand image that Honda carries, I would expect their products to be priced at a premium over Maruti. Moreover, Mobilio has a bigger engine, more space and is more fuel efficient than Ertiga. This kind of justifies the premium.

While Brio cost's less than Swift, Amaze costs more than Dzire so I don't think Honda is trying to keep a liner logic for pricing.

Having said that, after your reading your review I highlighted my two bits on the dropping QC which is a big concern. In the long run, Honda will not be able to justify this premium if their fit and finish is shoddy.

Also, I think Honda is targeting volumes of 3k-4k units per month and not 7k like Amaze. Given this, they have priced Mobilio higher to maximize profits and also meet their volumes target.
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:59   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
The second row sliding feature is only available in the top end V variant! Shouldn't this be standard across the range? Without this, the third row will be strictly for the kids, that too, very young ones. I think this is a serious mistake!
This is a deal breaker. I found this to be the single biggest advantage of mobilo over the ertiga considering with the third seat down you do not get great space in the second row. If this is only provided in the top variant than am afraid to say that this car won't be able to affect innova nor ertiga and might need become another jazz which is appreciated but not selling due to price.
ToyotaFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 13:01   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand2712 View Post
I am not sure why everyone is criticizing the pricing of Honda. We all know that in the eyes of the Indian public Honda is considered a premium product (atleast over Suzuki).
Also Mobilio has bigger and better engines in both diesel and petrol categories offering more power. Even the base variants have ABS.
I was expecting they will slot it between Ertiga and Innova and that is what they have done. I believe the product belongs between these two cars. Also having worked in Honda I also feel that once Jazz is launched there production capacity will be maxxed out and hence there monthly Mobilio targets might be 3-4K.

I guess the only issue which I have is with the car's interiors which I thought are plain vanilla.

I'm sorry Anand, but I disagree with you. As far as it was known, the Mobilio was touted to be a contender to the Ertiga, and I would have agreed with you if the Mobilio was based on the Jazz platform.

But as GTO mentions in this post:

Quote:
From what angle, dude?

My eyes are starting to water. Top variant diesel is 1.25 lakhs more expensive than the Ertiga? Base variant is 66K higher?

Lets not forget that the Ertiga has 40 - 50K discounts on it right now. The difference is simply way too much.

Again, the Brio is positioned below the Swift. How is an MPV based on it more expensive than its Swift counterpart?

Shocker: A Honda City doesn't cost that much more
I couldn't agree with it more. I would rather buy the Ertiga any day than shelling out a huge premium on the Mobilio. That too, the prices here are ex-showroom New Delhi, and when it comes to states like Karnataka where the RTO charges are relatively higher, it does not become a good proposition.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 13:04   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand2712 View Post
I was expecting they will slot it between Ertiga and Innova and that is what they have done.

With glaring cost cutting measures, its obvious that people expect better pricing. You cant have a premium brand image, cut corners and expect people to pay for that premium brand. Something needs to be worth that premium. That's why people are disappointed with the pricing. And even before the prices were announced, if you observe lot of people were unhappy with Mobilio itself.

You pay higher than Ertiga and get Brio looks? Honda is going the Toyota way i guess. Try to milk the brand without offering much substance. I don't agree that its sensible pricing.
Vahanam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 13:04   #149
Senior - BHPian

THIS product at this price!!! I really thought Honda is going to go for shockingly LOW prices, boy was I wrong!

Mindless. They should give a Nano (STD) free with each Mobilio to justify this.

Some would've accepted the interiors given they value the Honda brand, but pricing will be the tipping point for people to know for SURE that Mobilio isn't for them.

Anyway, people have the options of Ertiga and even Enjoy (its abit underrated IMO).
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 13:04   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
And here I was hoping that Ertiga will come with an additional discount post Mobilio launch.

From the looks of it, MSIL might just remove/ reduce the current discounts considering how Honda has gone the wrong way with their pricing...!
Yes, Suzuki will definitely be tempted to reduce/remove the discounts.
And Honda really believes that their brand commands a premium over Suzuki! But in this case, they are going to face the realities once the initial enthusiasm dies down. I feel, Honda will also cut the price eventually.
sivadas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed