Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 13:26   #331
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudraksh2005 View Post
Finally the pricing- Zxi on the road with alloy wheels is Rs 9.22 lakhs- a whole 2 lakhs less than the Mobilio for a much more comfortable and tried and tested vehicle.
We went ahead and paid a booking amount.
Hope to receive the car before the end of the week!!
Rudraksh2005, first let me congratulate you on your latest purchase, hope you have a wonderful run with it!

- I noticed in your post that Ertiga Zxi with alloy wheels is 9.22 lakhs. I got my Ertiga VDi (without alloys) for 9.31 Lakhs on road Pune after discounts. Consider 30000 as the price of alloys (as quoted by Maruti) there is only 39000 rupee difference between our cars, which is very surprising. In general, there is roughly 1.5 lakh difference between Ertiga petrol and diesel, on road, for same variant. Cars are very costly in Bangalore!

BTW, I posted my TD experience of the Mobilio and On road price details of it for Pune in the Ertiga V/S Mobilio forum, Here is a link to that post.
Old 28th July 2014, 13:29   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Honda Mobilio Receives 5,800 bookings; Expect a Waiting Period

Link to the article:
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/honda-mobi...source=taboola
As per Cartoq, Honda has received over 7000 bookings for Mobilio with 85% booking for diesel variants.

@Acidkill recently cancelled his booking and if a similar decision is taken by other buyers as well then it will be difficult to say as to how many of these 7000 bookings will eventually lead to final purchase.

http://www.cartoq.com/85%25-honda-mo...engined-model/

On a separate note, I think Honda has received flak for its promotion campaign as well. Unsurprisingly, we still don't get to see the TVC or Print Ad of Mobilio on leading TV & Print mediums. However, online Ad which is based on the same campaign is the only bit which they are promoting.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Mobilio : Official Review-mobilio.png  

Last edited by damager21 : 28th July 2014 at 13:30.
damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 21:07   #333
BHPian

I think Honda should have consider adding the ABS across all the version. Mobilio is a big vehicle with a price tag of ~8L for the base version.
Additionally our new GOVT is also planning to add up safety measure in the Automobile segment.
Old 28th July 2014, 21:21   #334
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
I think Honda should have consider adding the ABS across all the version. Mobilio is a big vehicle with a price tag of ~8L for the base version.

Additionally our new GOVT is also planning to add up safety measure in the Automobile segment.
Hope they add up all the safety features in all variants and not as an optional extra.

Without the ABS the car is priced high, with ABS it'll go up further even though it doesn't cost much.

Anurag.
Old 29th July 2014, 22:38   #335
Senior - BHPian

Today I had visited Honda Dealer on Old Padra Road, Vadodara. It was probably the worst dealer experience I had received, the other one was XUV500 inquiry when XUV500 was about to be launched.

As soon as I visited Honda Dealer, nobody was there to even talk to. I visit at 2 PM. A couple of customers were sitting there as I straight away reached for Mobilio.
Mobilio was worse than dealer's impudent treatment.
I am attaching two images which are an indicator of very poor process followed for Mobilio. Poorly finished bends, welds are the norm in the entire car. Doors were super light and even my Wagon R doors feel better. I should have have compared the lightness of doors to M800 instead ( I am seriously not joking here ).
The rear seat is pathetic for a people mover. I would understand such seat in a car having sporting intentions, but in a people mover they are completely out of place. Very poor thigh support. Seat actually made me feel short changed. Was expecting a much better seat in a Honda.
Considering my slightly overweight structure and a very bad BMI, decided to avoid getting into last row of seats.
Front seats, again are not good. Not very supportive and somehow, could not feel comfortable in there.
Boot space was OK for a 5+2 seater, but the recline of last row prevents large objects to be placed inside.
The fabric lid on the inner side of bootlid had a shabby fitment. Even the door handles all over the car generate "cheap" feeling.

As compared to Ertiga, Mobilio cannot manage to keep its head high. Ertiga has :
A much better build
Very good seats
Significantly better fit and finish
Does not feel "Cheap"
Higher seating which is very practical

Window panes in Mobilio were super thin and also quite flexible much to my amusement. An Alto800 would have better window panes or even Nano for that matter. Its very very disappointing.

As there was nobody around, I did not go for TD. My Grand i10 has very much superior build, fit and finish.

Real surprise is how Honda has taken a couple of steps in opposite direction. Honda City has overall a better build, fit and finish over earlier car, and Mobilio has just the opposite. Honda City is at par in its segment, where as Mobilio is below the segment standard by a significant margin.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Mobilio : Official Review-img_20140729_140643.jpg  

Honda Mobilio : Official Review-img_20140729_141044.jpg  

aaggoswami is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 12:06   #336
Senior - BHPian

My uncle wanted to give off his 5 year old Innova and was looking at the Mobilio for replacement. He was told about a 3 month waiting period for the Mobilio. I advised him to stay away from the Mobilio and go in for a new Innova instead (though I personally dislike the looks of the latest gen Innova) for am sure that the Mobilio may not match the comfort levels of the Innova. Of course, the other option I gave him was to wait for the 2015 Innova launch.
Old 30th July 2014, 13:55   #337
BHPian

Thought of sharing this - Autocar India has just published an article questioning the Mobilio pricing vis-a-vis the Ertiga. Here is the link to the article: Is Honda over ambitious with Mobilio pricing?

A quote from the article:

"has Honda’s confidence turned into overconfidence?

The Mobilio’s obvious premium pricing doesn't seem to have deterred customers for the moment. Honda says it has racked up 8,800 bookings since launch. Dealers say that bookings have been strong for the Mobilio with the styling, flexible interiors and of course the Honda badge being the key factors for the encouraging response.

But, the Mobilio is currently in a honeymoon phase with customers and it remains to be seen if the MPV can hang on to the healthy demand after the initial euphoria is over.
"

This is the first article I found, outside of team-bhp forums, criticizing or questioning the pricing of the Mobilio, that too, after a week of the official launch!
KedarB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 16:12   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I am attaching two images which are an indicator of very poor process followed for Mobilio. Poorly finished bends, welds are the norm in the entire car. Doors were super light and even my Wagon R doors feel better. I should have have compared the lightness of doors to M800 instead ( I am seriously not joking here ).

Real surprise is how Honda has taken a couple of steps in opposite direction. Honda City has overall a better build, fit and finish over earlier car, and Mobilio has just the opposite. Honda City is at par in its segment, where as Mobilio is below the segment standard by a significant margin.
Maruti owners should now be heaving a sigh of relief. After being hounded for a long time for owning "tin boxes", now there is a new manufacturer to take that crown. While Maruti is improving the build of its cars with each iteration, Honda is fast dishing out cars with shoddy quality, while still charging a premium. Maruti at least had the decency to sell their cars are competitive prices. Now the Maruti owners can point at a Honda and say, "there goes an expensive tin-box". How fast things turn around.
blacksport is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 16:19   #339
BHPian

yesterday a funny thing happened.

I am in the market to upgrade my Swift and have decided on the Storme. My mom says why on earth i need a huge vehicle and tried to convince me to get a Ertiga or a Mobilio. She had been seeing the ads in paper and TV.

She asked me to take her to MUL and Honda showroom to TD both the vehicles. MUL was closed since it was ramadan. We went to Honda showroom on OMR (dont recall the name). As i was in the service lane and trying to park there were 2 Mobilio test vehicles parked nearby. She being a total novice asked me who on earth designed these and call them cars I told her it was the Mobilio. She started walking to our car and asked me to drive off without uttering a word. Thank god.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 16:42   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Managed to visit Dakshin Honda, Hosur Road in Bangalore to take a glimpse of the Mobilio in flesh as I wanted to see how it fares in reality. I was accompanied by a BHPian friend of mine Mighty_Lothar. Here are a few pointers that emerged out of the visit:

Good things first:
  • Space in 2nd row is better than the Ertiga even with the front row pulled back till maximum
  • Space in 3rd row is better than the Ertiga with the 1st and 2nd row pulled back till maximum
  • Access to 3rd row is well managed in the Mobilio due to the folding seats
  • Boot Space is indeed better to the Ertiga

What we didn't like:
  • The doors are indeed thin & light till I had a look at it. Ertiga feels much better. Even the Pull lever is wafer thin!
  • Sitting: Especially 1st and 2nd row requires one to bend down and sit. In Ertiga you merely walk inside to access both the rows
  • Everything felt "small" in the Mobilio right from the steering (Can compare the Gear knob of the Mobilio with a TT Ball while the Ertiga feels like a Golf ball)
  • The seats for all the 3 rows are thin. Like many pointed, I myself sat in the driver's seat and could push my back by my own hands feeling my fingers
  • The under-thigh support for the 1st and 2nd row is on the lower side (if one compares that with Ertiga)
  • The 3rd row is indeed not easy to sit with knees pointing upwards
  • Overall room felt more airy in the Ertiga than the Mobilio for someone like me who is 6'3" (The slanted front windshield gave a car like feel than an MPV from the driver's seat)

So we didn't drive the car as we merely wanted to see the Mobilio. Upon enquiring the top-end variant's on road price, we were told it cost 12.83 Lacs in Bangalore with a waiting period of 1.5 months.

We drove straight back to our office basement and having owned the Ertiga for almost 9 months, We did a back to back assessment!

What you see below are pictures on how the 3rd row fares in terms of sitting position. Mighty_Lothar is shorter to me (5'6") and I made him my guinea pig today to sit in the 3rd row and do justice rather than someone taller like me getting into the 3rd row.
Honda Mobilio : Official Review-20140730_152716.jpg

That's how the under-thigh support fared to me while sitting on the second row in the Mobilio (Left) and the Ertiga (Right).
Honda Mobilio : Official Review-20140730_153309.jpg
Note that the under-thigh support is on the lower side in the Mobilio but the leg room even with the driver seat pulled all the way back is more than the Ertiga by almost 2 inches (Space left between my knee and seat back).

In the Ertiga, my knees were lightly touching the driver seat back (I am 6'3").

Verdict: It will confuse the buyer on choosing over Engine Size Vs Space Vs Build Vs Quality Vs Sitting position. But price becomes the biggest differentiator. A difference of a whopping ~2Lacs between the two and I am sure a lot would give a thought about it before booking one.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th July 2014 at 16:54.
paragsachania is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 17:39   #341
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Managed to visit Dakshin Honda, Hosur Road in Bangalore to take a glimpse of the Mobilio in flesh as I wanted to see how it fares in reality. I was accompanied by a BHPian friend of mine Mighty_Lothar.

Verdict: It will confuse the buyer on choosing over Engine Size Vs Space Vs Build Vs Quality Vs Sitting position. But price becomes the biggest differentiator. A difference of a whopping ~2Lacs between the two and I am sure a lot would give a thought about it before booking one.
Space 'IF' is the main priority then Mobilio wins hands down else it doesn't for me.

I cant pay 2L premium for a car made with cost-cutting as a main motto. Not a good move from Honda. Seeing the pictures under thigh support is low and moreover thin seats spoil the feel even further.

Many would give a thought before the cheques are signed.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 19:45   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I advised him to stay away from the Mobilio and go in for a new Innova instead (though I personally dislike the looks of the latest gen Innova) for am sure that the Mobilio may not match the comfort levels of the Innova. Of course, the other option I gave him was to wait for the 2015 Innova launch.
Mobilio is no match for Ertiga or even hatchbacks at that price point. Innova will continue to be comfort king, defeating even Fortuner thanks to a bumpy ride in Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
Thought of sharing this - Autocar India has just published an article questioning the Mobilio pricing vis-a-vis the Ertiga.

This is the first article I found, outside of team-bhp forums, criticizing or questioning the pricing of the Mobilio, that too, after a week of the official launch!
Its probably the first article on ACI where they are questioning Honda. Else, almost everytime Honda has emerged out as a king in ACI comparos.
Its a very honest question they have asked and IMO, if ACI is questioning Honda, its time for the Jap manufacturer to revisit its strategy, specially the pricing one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Maruti owners should now be heaving a sigh of relief. After being hounded for a long time for owning "tin boxes", now there is a new manufacturer to take that crown. While Maruti is improving the build of its cars with each iteration, Honda is fast dishing out cars with shoddy quality, while still charging a premium. Maruti at least had the decency to sell their cars are competitive prices. Now the Maruti owners can point at a Honda and say, "there goes an expensive tin-box". How fast things turn around.
Maruti has certainly improved over a period of time and this time around, starting with Brio, Honda has consistently taken a step backward in the segment below City. I wonder what is actually wrong with both, Honda and Toytoa. They seem to have lost VFM tag in lower end of the market. Hyundai and even Suzuki have stepped up. A firm like Tata has also improved, but Toyota and Honda have simply lost it in under Rs. 7/- lakh market. Not only are the products sub par, even the overquality have taken a royal beating. Out of City, Amaze and Mobilio, only the City felt nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
She being a total novice asked me who on earth designed these and call them cars I told her it was the Mobilio. She started walking to our car and asked me to drive off without uttering a word. Thank god.
Somehow, when I practically saw Mobilio, it did not look smashing. The low profile robs it of any presence, people from the front mistake it for Brio/Amaze and its more "Estate" than "People Mover"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It will confuse the buyer on choosing over Engine Size Vs Space Vs Build Vs Quality Vs Sitting position. But price becomes the biggest differentiator. A difference of a whopping ~2Lacs between the two and I am sure a lot would give a thought about it before booking one.
I appreciate your comparisons. It really takes more than a bit of time to actually compile a post with such comparison.

But, I would disagree with you. Reason is : SEATS. The seats in Mobilio are simply useless. When one has to travel longer distance, something more and more Indians are doing, the real shortcomings would show up. I weight in at around 90 kg and stand around 5'10" tall. For somebody who is more than 5'6" or so, the second row of seats are going to get uncomfortable. Lack of thigh support shows up. Ertiga, IMO, has a nice combination of much better seats and less space as compared to Mobilio.
The front seats of Brio, err Amaze, errr..Mobilio have fixed head restraints. Width is less and I was not fitting in. Back support was also not good. In today's age what I cannot digest is : Fixed head restraints, narrow and uncomfortable seats.
My grand i10 also has fixed head restraints ( the export versions get adjustable ones and we Indians are cheated once again ) but overall the seats are not uncomfortable.

The emerging trend of thin seats and fixed head restraints is disturbing to say the least. Celerio in international markets has adjustable head restraints, but in India what we get is pathetic seats and fixed head restraint. Hyundai does not fare any better. Old M800 we had from 1992 had a better seat than what Grand i10, Celerio, etc. have. I had driven M800 for more than 40K Kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Space 'IF' is the main priority then Mobilio wins hands down else it doesn't for me.

I cant pay 2L premium for a car made with cost-cutting as a main motto. Not a good move from Honda. Seeing the pictures under thigh support is low and moreover thin seats spoil the feel even further.

Many would give a thought before the cheques are signed.

I think that the feeling of space will not survive for long. Seats are bad, and the width of car is very less as compared to Innova/Xylo. I doubt that space will sell Mobilio, the car brand craze will bring in number, but certainly not space. Rear legroom of even Wagon R is nice and has a more comfortable seat at rear. Mobilio should have its base in Jazz, not Brio. I think a Jazz based MPV will be next Honda creation pitted against Innova, with similar set of engines that propel Amaze/City/Mobilio.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 30th July 2014 at 19:48.
aaggoswami is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 22:59   #343
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Window panes in Mobilio were super thin and also quite flexible much to my amusement.
Thank you for describing the sheer levels of cost-cutting done by Honda on the Mobilio. Those ugly weld spots are indeed an eyesore.

However, the above statement has me confused. Do you mean to say Honda has used glass that's actually flexible?

If it's indeed flexible, then it could actually be a new safety feature that's not being advertised by Honda. Move over, laminated & tempered automobile glass - here comes Honda's new flexible glass that resists breakage (up to a certain extent, of course)!

Last edited by RSR : 30th July 2014 at 23:04.
Old 30th July 2014, 23:07   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

. I think a Jazz based MPV will be next Honda creation pitted against Innova, with similar set of engines that propel Amaze/City/Mobilio.
Actually, a jazz based MPV will be a correct offering at *this price point*. Since it comes from a better platform, Honda will have a proper justification for charging the near 2L premium over the Ertiga.

Regarding competing an innova, the shabby quality in the Mobilio will not even come close to the durablity offered by the Innova. Hence, if Honda really wants to dare going head-on against the Innova, they cant use a cost cut small car based MPV and challenge the sheer amount of durability an Innova can offer. Hence even if the Innova too looks a bit overpriced, it is still a favourite among those who clock a lot of miles and also the commercial operators. They can sacrifice some mileage, performance and features, but the car should last without major repairs for a long time.

Perhaps, Honda could bring the Mobilio price down to match the Ertiga, and get a bigger MPV at a price slightly higher than what the mobilio currently is selling for. That time they can easily bank on either products.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 16:00   #345
Senior - BHPian

23 Pages in Team BHP and still not a single booking/ownership. Well that shows where Mobilio stands! 2015 Innova launch should be the final nail on the coffin and end of story for Mobilio.

What would have gone in favor of Honda is increase in sales of Amaze and City.
People who are ready to spend on Top spec Diesel Mobilio will settle for city and people who felt Mobilio is overpriced might settle for Amaze.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks