Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2016, 12:28   #571
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio : Official Review

Hi,

I am planning to get a 7 seater in the next 1 month. I have been looking at the MPV, SUV, MUV segment.

I have finally given up the Innova after 50K and 3 years since my company lease got over. I loved the Innova for its driveability in city, long distance comfort and as a full 7 seater. Hated the engine noise at anything over 100 (never got round to getting a tuner box fitted) and the city drive gave me bad leg pains.

Shortlisted cars include
- Mobilio (Yet to TD but FE of diesel is tempting and so are the city drive comfort reviews and long distance cruising). Price is the big concern, why is it priced so high and I hate paying so much for a car and having it speed limited. Not that i drive above 130 these days.
- Lodgy (TD looked good and liked the drive but hated the interior)
- XUV (W8 is a tempting option, love the vehicle, comfort and the driveability - cant see any down falls now except the bump in price over Mobilio but this is a different league anyway and i don't mind the price for this car )
- Scorpio (i love it, family hates it due to the body roll)

I am leaning towards the Mobilio/Lodgy type since I do not want to lug around a full fledged 7 seater in city traffic in Bangalore. (My daily commute is about 70Km).
My annual driving distance is about 18K a year which i have done between 2 cars - Innova for long drives and Celerio AMT for city drives and a few long ones too.

Chief criteria
1. Comfort of passengers in second row. Third row is only very occasional use.
Usual travelers include 2 adults + 1 driver (me) + 2 small kids + luggage for long distances
2. City driving comfort (I drive the busiest stretches in Bangalore every day)
3. Boot space (or ability to have an carrier)
4. FE (since daily commute is 70 avg to max 100 Km)

Keeping all this in mind Mobilio seems to be the right choice if i compromise on Speed limiting, price and noise at high speeds.
XUV is bigger and better but I get 85% of basic features on Mobilio for a far lesser price
Can existing owners give some update on their experiences? Any other views and choices that I can look at?
Old 1st March 2016, 16:10   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivibhu View Post
Hi,

I am planning to get a 7 seater in the next 1 month. I have been looking at the MPV, SUV, MUV segment.

Any other views and choices that I can look at?
Any reasons for not considering the Ertiga ? It would tick most of your boxes. Also, since you drive a lot in the city and Innova gave you leg pains, you might want to look at an automatic.
Old 1st March 2016, 18:26   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Any other views and choices that I can look at?
You might want to wait for BRV (mid 2016 is what I hear). Hexa is round the corner too. If you still like Mobilio after these launches, you might get a much better deal on the same car because of the competition...
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 18:50   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
Any reasons for not considering the Ertiga ? It would tick most of your boxes. Also, since you drive a lot in the city and Innova gave you leg pains, you might want to look at an automatic.
Yes I did consider Ertiga but felt performance was really underwhelming. Did not enjoy the TD. And the third row was really bad. Mobilio when I saw it in the showroom was far betterwith additional space in the rear. I still have to TD the Mobilio which I should do in a couple of days but the general feedback was it was much better to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
You might want to wait for BRV (mid 2016 is what I hear). Hexa is round the corner too. If you still like Mobilio after these launches, you might get a much better deal on the same car because of the competition...
Isint the BRV a 5 seater like the Duster.I am specifically looking for the third row. Hexa - I am really not a TATA fan. Very bad past experiences.
Also would need to buy one before close of this FY for some tax benefits. So unless there is something really exciting would prefer not to wait.

Last edited by srivibhu : 1st March 2016 at 19:04.
Old 1st March 2016, 19:11   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Isint the BRV a 5 seater like the Duster.I am specifically looking for the third row. Hexa - I am really not a TATA fan. Very bad past experiences.
Also would need to buy one before close of this FY for some tax benefits. So unless there is something really exciting would prefer not to wait.
No, BRV is a 7 seater.
Old 1st March 2016, 19:38   #576
BHPian

Quote:
No, BRV is a 7 seater.
Ok now that worries me and I need to rethink.
If BRV is a 7 seater coming in June, Honda will in all probability stop the Mobilio for the BRV over time. I'm now confused about Honda's strategy of having 2 very similar 7 seaters in the market unless its planning to kill the one. That's a big risk then to buy the Mobilio now then.
I guess in need to go back to Lodgy or XUV
Old 2nd March 2016, 19:40   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok now that worries me and I need to rethink.
If BRV is a 7 seater coming in June, Honda will in all probability stop the Mobilio for the BRV over time. I'm now confused about Honda's strategy of having 2 very similar 7 seaters in the market unless its planning to kill the one. That's a big risk then to buy the Mobilio now then.
I guess in need to go back to Lodgy or XUV
Having extensively used both the Ertiga and Lodgy, these are my observations and I hope it helps you make a decision.

In terms of vehicle performance, Lodgy is definitely better and the 85PS guise is good for city drivability. The 110PS is great for highways, with the 6th gear doing its part. Mild turbo lag could be felt in the city.

The last row is definitely better in the Ertiga in terms of seating comfort but the Lodgy's last row is wider with better headroom. With better headroom I mean you're sitting quite some inches away from the rear windscreen which isn't the case in the Ertiga.

The middle row comfort is almost similar, with Ertiga featuring sliding seats. Lodgy's seats don't slide but slightly wider with better leg room although you'll sit slightly lower than in the Ertiga.

The Lodgy has air vents on each row where as in the Ertiga it's blown from the second row. The trouble is, when both rows are occupied on a hot sunny day, in the Ertiga, people in the second row have to put up with high speed cool air blowing on them for the sake of 3rd row passengers. My family has had many quarrels just on this issue. Thankfully, in the Lodgy, individual vents take care of air flow for each row and vents can be shut off if one doesn't desire it. Win-win situation now, when we travel as a pack. While on the family topic, the top end RxZ model has a charger on each row - perfect for the family's mobile charging needs.

I find the interiors more robust and better built in the Lodgy - not a single rattle where as in the Ertiga, there were numerous rattles. The Lodgy's interiors are functional but lack aesthetic appeal. The Ertiga's dash and interiors are better in terms of aesthetic appeal.

NVH is great in the Lodgy; in fact it's the best among MPVs. Really well insulated from the outside world. Ertiga isn't far away but at 3 digit speeds engine boom noise seeps into the cabin.

Door pockets are definitely better in the Ertiga with cubby holes to hold 1 litre bottles. The Lodgy cannot hold 1 litre bottles on the door pockets. Very frustrating when you want to carry water bottles.

My priorities were engine performance and 6th gear (with cruise control), individual cabin lamps on each row and dedicated AC vents. Went with the Lodgy for those reasons. Lumbar support for driver's seat on the Lodgy is an added boon on the highway - wasn't looking for it when I bought it but, now, spoilt by it!

Feel free to ask anything about both MPVs and all the best on your purchase!
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:16   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Having extensively used both the Ertiga and Lodgy, these are my observations and I hope it helps you make a decision.
Thanks for the great comparison on the 2 cars.
While I found the 85PS to be better in the city I think the 110PS suits me for long drives so will finally settle for that and live with lag in the city.

I think i will go for the Lodgy for the same reasons of performance, slightly better seats and better overall comfort and driveability and maybe upgrade the tyres unless XUV trumps with the family. I will have to live with the irritants of fixed second seat (have not looked at after market yet for this) and more importantly the lack of great storage spaces that a Maruti always provides. Its just irritating to not be able to store a 1L bottle in every door. (well this is an irritant in my Celerio too- no space to store a 1L bottle in the front doors- somehow i prefer water bottles there than anywhere else).

Apparently the Lodgy out now in Bangalore is still 2015 Q4 stock which they are trying to clear and hence there may be additional discounts. I was told that the 2016 MFG cars will be available only March end with new prices. Don't know how far its true.

Finally RE the Mobilio: I called up a couple of Honda showrooms today in Bangalore and both of them had just 1 or 2 cars of Mobilio in stock and basically told me to wait for the BRV supposed to come in June and that they are not receiving any more new stocks. So I guess that's pretty much the wrap up for the Mobilio.
srivibhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 14:35   #579
BHPian

Has Honda dealers stopped taking booking for Mobilio? . A friend who visited Whitefield Honda says so..

Ps: Personally, hard to believe this .
Old 3rd March 2016, 14:42   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajanjohn View Post
Has Honda dealers stopped taking booking for Mobilio? . A friend who visited Whitefield Honda says so..

Could be. If you look at the sales of mobilio in the last few months, it hovers around 300-odd units. Honda might be using the production for its up-coming BR-V. It might not be official since the dealers need to clear out existing stock.
Old 4th March 2016, 01:30   #581
Senior - BHPian

Comparing Mobilio, Lodgy and Ertiga, I preferred the Mobilio RS. Lodgy fit and finish seemed worse than Mobilio. Fuel efficiency is also better in the Mobilio. Space though comparable, middle row space was cramped in Lodgy. Looks subjective but I felt Lodgy> Eritga> Mobilio.
I would have preferred the Safari Storme, but the family was against it.
Old 4th March 2016, 01:45   #582
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I believe there is a facelift coming soon with the interiors similar to Amaze. They might be trying to clear old stock before the launch.

There is no point trying to sell Mobilio with the old interior, while Amaze and BRV gets the new (and much) better dashboard.
Old 6th March 2016, 06:04   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I have finally given up the Innova after 50K and 3 years since my company lease got over. I loved the Innova for its driveability in city, long distance comfort and as a full 7 seater. Hated the engine noise at anything over 100 (never got round to getting a tuner box fitted) and the city drive gave me bad leg pains.

Shortlisted cars include
- Mobilio (Yet to TD but FE of diesel is tempting and so are the city drive comfort reviews and long distance cruising). Price is the big concern, why is it priced so high and I hate paying so much for a car and having it speed limited. Not that i drive above 130 these days.
- Lodgy (TD looked good and liked the drive but hated the interior)
- XUV (W8 is a tempting option, love the vehicle, comfort and the driveability - cant see any down falls now except the bump in price over Mobilio but this is a different league anyway and i don't mind the price for this car )
- Scorpio (i love it, family hates it due to the body roll)

I am leaning towards the Mobilio/Lodgy type since I do not want to lug around a full fledged 7 seater in city traffic in Bangalore. (My daily commute is about 70Km).
My annual driving distance is about 18K a year which i have done between 2 cars - Innova for long drives and Celerio AMT for city drives and a few long ones too.

Chief criteria
1. Comfort of passengers in second row. Third row is only very occasional use.
Usual travelers include 2 adults + 1 driver (me) + 2 small kids + luggage for long distances
2. City driving comfort (I drive the busiest stretches in Bangalore every day)
3. Boot space (or ability to have an carrier)
4. FE (since daily commute is 70 avg to max 100 Km)

Keeping all this in mind Mobilio seems to be the right choice if i compromise on Speed limiting, price and noise at high speeds.
XUV is bigger and better but I get 85% of basic features on Mobilio for a far lesser price
Can existing owners give some update on their experiences? Any other views and choices that I can look at?
I was in your same state until 2 weeks ago. I was searching for a 7 seater for almost a year and finally out of nowhere settled on the Lodgy. This was accidental. Never considered a Lodgy as shape never appealed to me, but gave it a try by visiting the showroom and booked immediately and took delivery a week back.

No complaints yet. Really happy with the decision. Of course the car won't be a use for you if you have 6 seater sitting in the middle row. I can comfortably seat 7 in the car.

Considering the Mobilio was always fond of Honda. But with Mobilio they dissapointed big time. A 3-4 lac car has a better interior than a Mobilio. Have lost all respect for Honda India. Their main objective is to increase market share by reducing the price and cost cutting.
Old 8th March 2016, 12:47   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so my SA finally says that Honda has stopped producing Mobilio Petrol. He says its due to year-end, but I doubt since Mobilio Diesel is readily available. Is this because of the impending BR-V launch?
Quote:

I had reported this in Nov for Petrol. I guess they have now stopped for Diesel as well...
Old 8th March 2016, 12:56   #585
BHPian

Quote:
I had reported this in Nov for Petrol. I guess they have now stopped for Diesel as well...
Yes as conformed last week, seems this is true. No More Mobilio it seems, its on the BRV in June now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks