Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:35   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio : Official Review

In my opinion Mobilio will go Brio way rather than Amaze way.
I don't see why it should sell more than 2K/month. Also if have that extra money i would go for Innova G4 than Mobilio top spec.

On a different note, what surprises me is people are willing to spend same money on Ecosport but not on Mobilio. Agree that Ecosport is feature rich, but Mobilio scores on extra space and dimensions. This clearly indicates nation's desire towards SUV .
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:36   #182
BHPian

IMO, Honda had a great product in the Mobilio, with all the great attributes of a safe, spacious family car. It is the right size and 7 people can be seated in comfort but they messed up by ignoring things that the general public looks for. Every company brings products with cost-cutting measures but some smartly cut costs where an average consumer won't notice and thus, there are some inferior products which go on to become blockbusters.

I think Honda was very clever with the City, it wasn't a revolutionary but has enough flash to get the buyer's attention. Honda could have also gotten away by coming up with super-competitive introductory prices and increasing them later on when the car would have started selling in good numbers (just like some other companies) because the introductory price is what stays with a buyer when he goes to the showroom. Later on, even if the manufacturer introduces some extra features or lowers the price, it is not enough to shake off the image of an overpriced product.

Last edited by Marauder : 23rd July 2014 at 14:40.
Marauder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:45   #183
BHPian

https://www.hondacarindia.com/mobilio/Features.html

Check out the variants ... Even more shocking that the petrol E & S (lower 2 variants) dont even have ABS, leave alone airbags.

Also, neither E & S have sliding 2nd row and no 2nd row armrest in either petrol or diesel. IMHO, a sliding second row is a MUST for an effective MPV with 3 rows .... Else, you lose big time on the flexibility for comfort for both 2nd and 3rd row passengers ... This feature counts for much more than a split third row.

Honda has lost it - Maruti must be laughing all the way

Seriously, the more one looks at the pricing & the features, it looks like Honda were attempting an el-cheapo Innova than a true Ertiga competitor

Last edited by RoadTiger : 23rd July 2014 at 15:04.
RoadTiger is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:48   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep joshi View Post
New Delhi: Honda on Wednesday launched its much-anticipated 7 seater low priced MPV Mobilio. The Honda Mobilio petrol version starts at Rs 6.49 Lakh while the diesel version of the MPV will come at Rs 7.89 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).

Petrol Price

Honda Mobilio E: Rs 6.49 Lakh
Honda Mobilio S: Rs 7.5 Lakh
Honda Mobilio V: Rs 8.76 Lakh

Diesel Price

Honda Mobilio E: Rs 7.89 Lakh
Honda Mobilio S: Rs 8.60 Lakh
Honda Mobilio V: Rs 9.76 Lakh
Honda Mobilio Rs: Rs 10.86 Lakh
Botched up pricing!!

This will not dent the market and MS will probably see a spike in the Ertiga Sales.

At 10.86 lacs ex showroom, Mobilio will touch almost 12.5 lacs On road for the top version. With this kind of crappy Brioish interiors, this is a serious mistake!!
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:49   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
A fantastic review as usual. A well deserved 5 starts

Pricing from Honda is disappointing compared to the product on offer. The only reason I can think of the rational behind this pricing is, cash in on the initial hype over the vehicle and get a faster return initially. Once the numbers drop, either a price correction or discounts would follow.

The Ertiga in any case feels a better option compared the Mobilio. Courtesy - Glaring cost cutting by Honda. Will we see the Toyota's Etios story repeat in the case of Honda's Mobilio. Only time will tell.
Truly disappointing pricing indeed but i don't think it can be compared to the Etios as Honda is offering a very Modern exterior as opposed to an outdated exterior and interior package toyota offered.
Honda is basically hoping to tap into the Innova Pie as its considerably cheaper. They believe that this itself will bring in numbers and the Ertiga can continue to keep its sales figures alive.
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:53   #186
RSR
Senior - BHPian

This is a great 5-star review as usual, with fabulous attention to detail in both prose and photographs! In no other review can one find observations as fine as the rear A/C vents throwing out more air on one side than the other. Thank you, GTO and Mpower (& anyone else I may have missed).

Moving to the car itself, the less said about Honda's attention to detail, the better. Some of the bits are crudely finished, some essential parts are missing, the vehicle reeks of cost-cutting in many places and the equipment list is nothing to write home about. Such things are very disappointing indeed!

I was waiting for the price to see if they make some amends with a value-for-money tag. And my disappointment has only become worse!

I believe Honda have scored an own goal with such optimistic pricing, when compared to its most direct competitor, the Ertiga. Sure, the Mobilio has the more rounded engines of the two (better top-end whack on the petrol & much better bottom end grunt/in-city drivability on the diesel), may have more space and flexibility (but not comfort) and arguably better exterior styling.

In most other areas, the Maruti Suzuki compact MPV scores over its fellow Japanese rival. It's got way better interiors, more comfortable seats (and safer front ones), more refinement, much better fit & finish and less cost-cutting. Even on the engines front, the only drawback is the massive turbo lag/lack of adequate torque at low revs (especially when loaded) on the VGT DDiS/Multijet. Maruti Suzuki's sales & service network remains the unmatched numero uno with more choice, less arrogant dealers and open market availability of genuine spares. And now, the Ertiga is far better value for money!

Hey, MSIL! Do you want to score another goal against Honda, to add to the misery of its own goal? Then launch an updated Ertiga with a mild facelift, more striking tail-lamps, more appealing alloys/wheel caps, a better interior colour scheme, 50-50 split folding rear seats with a better head-rest design and more features (Bluetooth enabled music system, climate control, electrically retractable mirrors, reverse camera, LED DRLs and a driver airbag on the lower variants) without increasing the price too much. Honda will then be forced to re-think its ridiculous pricing strategy!

Last edited by RSR : 23rd July 2014 at 15:03.
RSR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:55   #187
BHPian

Extremely poor pricing. They claim to have learn from the Jazz fiasco but looks like they haven't. I had, in my mind, committed that Honda will sell the Mobilio in decent numbers and give a very good fight to the ertiga. But looking at the pricing, Maruti wins hands down. They have a more premium feeling product and is priced well. Not sure what is Honda claiming the premium for?
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:58   #188
BHPian

During the last Puja holidays, the three of us along with my schoolmate and his family, a total of 4 adults and three kids had driven from Kolkata to Bhutan and back in my Ertiga. My friend, who owns the previous generation Honda City and is a Honda fan, had quite liked the Ertiga and was considering changing to a part time seven seater. When the Mobilio was announced, he was quite certain that an MUV from Honda would definitely be superior to an equivalent MS product in every way. Last weekend, when we met for dinner, I found him looking forward to the Mobilio launch. Hmm .... let's wait and watch
Babuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:01   #189
Team-BHP Support

So much extra for a stretched hatchback. Its justified if the overall quality can match at least that of the City, but this is far off.

I feel this can really boost the sale of Ertiga.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:01   #190
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
In my opinion Mobilio will go Brio way rather than Amaze way. I don't see why it should sell more than 2K/month. Also if have that extra money i would go for Innova G4 than Mobilio top spec.
Here's another reason why I'm shocked with Honda's pricing & optimistic attitude. They're venturing into an incredibly difficult segment. Of the seven 7-seaters listed in the chart on the opening post, 4 are duds and only 2 actually sell (the Innova & Ertiga). Clearly, cracking the MPV market is much harder than we think.

Quote:
On a different note, what surprises me is people are willing to spend same money on Ecosport but not on Mobilio.
Other than the extra seat for children, the EcoSport is superior in nearly every way, including safety (upto 6 airbags, solid build, 4 stars in the Euro NCAP), styling, equipment (SYNC, keyless entry & go, leather seats), handling etc. etc. Honestly, even though they're in different segments, I'd rather buy an EcoSport over the Mobilio and rent a self-drive 7-seater for the handful of times in a year that I need one. Not like the Mobilio is a full-time 7-seater anyway.

BTW, even the EcoSport Titanium Option pack diesel is cheaper than the Mobilio V diesel.

Here's another perspective: I can buy the Mobilio without the 3rd row of seats (that is, the Honda Amaze) for 2.3 lakhs lesser! 2 lakhs is a lot for a kiddie seat, you'll agree?

Last edited by GTO : 23rd July 2014 at 15:04.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:01   #191
JLS
BHPian

When Hyundai launched i20, people blamed Hyundai for pricing it higher than a deserving price point, discounting the facts that all i20 trims were feature loaded and also some of the trims ( Sportz and Asta ) offered rear disc brakes - first time in this segment. However i20 was selling in decent numbers.

When Honda launched Jazz (few months after i20 launch, I believe) and priced it atrociously high, people started seeing i20 in a different light and even considered it VFM in the segment, and I believe sale of i20 peaked after launch of Jazz.

Looking at Ertiga and Mobilio, and the price point at which Honda has launched Mobilio, it is going to push more customers to Ertiga and I will not be surprised if Ertiga shows more number against it. At least few of them who were waiting for Mobilio launch and were disappointed with poor interiors and high price will hasten their decision in favour of Ertiga.

My two cents in current scenario.

JLS
JLS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:04   #192
Senior - BHPian

Just two words - Poor Pricing.

I was already not impressed with the way Honda has literally just stretched the Brio hatchback and this pricing acts like the final nail in the coffin. Honda must know that there are a large number of Maruti loyalists who need to be tempted and pampered to attract them to a product which is in direct competition with a Maruti. But with this pricing, maybe some Honda loyalists too would not hesistate going the Maruti way.

I just hope Mobilio at least performs like the Brio and does not prove to be a market dud like the Jazz. As far as I am concerned, I would rather buy a City and rent a MUV for those extended family drives.

A great opportunity ruined, IMO.
dZired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:14   #193
BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion Mobilio will go Brio way rather than Amaze way.
I don't see why it should sell more than 2K/month. Also if have that extra money i would go for Innova G4 than Mobilio top spec.

On a different note, what surprises me is people are willing to spend same money on Ecosport but not on Mobilio. Agree that Ecosport is feature rich, but Mobilio scores on extra space and dimensions. This clearly indicates nation's desire towards SUV .
Space is not the only criteria for everybody. Ecosport is a mini SUV whereas the driveability and feel of Mobilio would be more crossover like.

Moreover, if space is not important to you and you need enthusiast driving to an extent then its these mini SUVs.
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:15   #194
BHPian

Now Ertiga will start selling in huge numbers, just like Jazz suddenly made people see the value in i20.

Ertiga is a stretched Swift while Mobilio is a stretched Brio. So Ertiga is based on a superior car but a full lakh cheaper.

Honda somehow forgot that, after the Brio and the Amaze, the H badge does not have a premium image anymore.

Quote:
It would have been nicer if the better space was due to a larger vehicle, and not thin doors, thin seats and other squeeze-ups.

Last edited by blacksport : 23rd July 2014 at 15:19.
blacksport is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:28   #195
BHPian

Overall I think Mobilio looks good and should do reasonably well. I hope there are no panel gaps in the finished product.
Honda Mobilio : Official Review-mobilio.png
Honda Mobilio : Official Review-exteriors.png
Honda Mobilio : Official Review-interiors.png
Honda Mobilio : Official Review-safety.png

List of accessories available for purchase
https://www.hondacarindia.com/mobili...cessories.html
Name:  Mobilio Accessories.png
Views: 7753
Size:  701.6 KB

Last edited by damager21 : 23rd July 2014 at 15:32.
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks