Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2014, 11:06   #136
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Superb Review Aditya & Rehaan. I believe this time Tata is trying to make up their market with even white board users. Very warm welcome for the C1 segment auto transmission. Let me visit a Tata showroom and have test drive very soon.

Last edited by GTO : 5th August 2014 at 12:32. Reason: Aditya & Rehaan
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 11:07   #137
BHPian

Amazing review - rated a highly deserved 5 stars. Took me back to last December when GTO wrote about the Honda City and I went ahead and pre-booked the car blindly. If I had to buy a compact sedan this year (I just got my Dzire earlier this year), this review would have answered all my queries!

Coming to the car, as everyone has said, it is an amazing offering. Couple of key points:
1. Tata needs to wreak havoc in advertising for the AMT diesel. They have to get the first mover advantage and ensure not much waiting (i.e. Celerio). Other manufacturers surely will push in their AMT versions soon and Tata needs to capitalize on this.
2. Critically, the reliability and A.S.S. is going to be a major point that Tata has to work upon. I have owned 2 Indica's in the past and have had horror experiences. Till the time I hear absolutely positive reviews, I would probably not touch a Tata car (perhaps there are more people out there like me).
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 11:17   #138
BHPian

Now this review gives so much details that it practically like test driving the car for 2-3 days rated 5 stars.Wonder why all the big auto magazine pass a verdict which has to be the first/exclusive review but doesn't help the end buyer to come to a conclusion.

I have a suggestion please try to include a videos of the vehicles in your reviews like salom and braking performances.

One query if one selects the Eco/sport mode after switching on the engine how does one go back to city mode? Is switching off and restarting the car the way to do it?

Last edited by damodar : 5th August 2014 at 11:22.
Old 5th August 2014, 11:21   #139
BHPian

Nice review, thanks. Technically upbeat engine, raised quality of interiors, fantastic ergonomics, higher GC... Zest is completely 'unTata'. I hope it will be priced competitively. Only if the A.S.S on par with the MSIL I would close my eyes and book this one.
Old 5th August 2014, 11:21   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
One query if one selects the Eco/sport mode after switching on the engine how does one go back to city mode? Will it require switching off and restarting the car the way to do it?
Default mode is City. Eco / Sport mode are switches, if you switch it off by pressing it again, it goes back to City model.
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 11:36   #141
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2014 at 14:54.
amit_shimla is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th August 2014, 11:41   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineshpikale View Post
The bright yellow warning which is printed is terrible. It's a bright yellow. Not good for the decor.
Warning sticker is bright yellow for a reason, they want you to take notice and read it. You can see that most of the warning signs you see (road, factories, office buildings or on any equipment) are either red or yellow. In some countries it is mandatory to have warning sticker of specified size, color and text size. I have seen a warning sticker (15 cm x 10 cm size) on a front face of small child seat.

We pay attention to something bright like red or yellow than any other normal colors isn't it?
Old 5th August 2014, 11:43   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Anyone know the rear suspension layout?

Regards
Sutripta
Twist beam, just like Vista, Manza and other cars in the segment.
directinjection is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 11:47   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
2. Critically, the reliability and A.S.S. is going to be a major point that Tata has to work upon. I have owned 2 Indica's in the past and have had horror experiences. Till the time I hear absolutely positive reviews, I would probably not touch a Tata car (perhaps there are more people out there like me).
Having owned a Tata in the recent past, I can say that the service is pretty good. I found it to be much more responsive and better equipped and knowledgeable than my current ASS for my 2014 Honda City.
vista_qjd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 12:27   #145
Senior - BHPian

Everything looks top notch. This car deserves a different badge . The tata logo looks so awkward.
Knowing the aggressiveness of Tata i am expecting a killer price tag.If priced right i dont see why this should not become a hit in market.

Question to reviewers: Is the GC really 165/175? The car seem to ride pretty high, and looks to match some of MUV's.
Old 5th August 2014, 12:36   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Question to reviewers: Is the GC really 165/175? The car seem to ride pretty high, and looks to match some of MUV's.
Yes this was my mom's first comment when she first saw it during our TD, its as tall like SUVs & the wheel arches are BIG.
Old 5th August 2014, 12:42   #147
Senior - BHPian

some observations: the xcent and amaze are really M800s (proportionally speaking) with a boot. The reason I say this is because the poor people who sit in either of these cars when looked at from sideways often seem to have a head that is bulbuous and protruding out-of-proportion to the cars dimensions, it almost seems as if these people have huge heads, which is really not the case. the cars look ok if there is nobody sitting in them, they look ok in isolation. The only car in this segment which does not really show it's owners/driver in poor light is the dzire. Haven't seen the zest yet, but hopefully it's more like dzire rather than like amaze in this respect.
Old 5th August 2014, 13:07   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Within the space of a month there are 4 major launches that will compete for buyers in the Indian market.
  • Tata Zest
  • Elite i20
  • Punto Evo
  • VW Polo

Acche Din for the car buyer
And was just preceded by the Mobilio. So 5 in all, in a few weeks gap.
p'arth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 13:08   #149
BHPian

Superb review of the Zest Aditya and Rehaan. Reviews galore on T-BHP, as many as 4 reviews in a span of 2 weeks!!. It looks like the mods and testers are fighting hard to top each others reviews. But I must confess it is a great feast for us readers and enthusiasts to have such quality reviews.

Greatly impressed with the Zest. At a time where Tata is waning in popularity, Tata Engineers have put a lot of effort and determination in bringing out a well rounded package. The car looks definitely on par with the competitors in the segment and hope Tata will price it competitively. I really feel that if Tata improves it's showroom staff, ASS and customer service departments, I don't see why the Zest and the upcoming Bolt will not be Hit if not a Blockbuster in the segment. Waiting to get my hands on the car as soon as it arrives and have a Test Drive.

Once again, thanks to an awesome review . Deserves nothing less than 5 stars!!
Mahesh Prasad is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 13:36   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Would have liked a separate review on the entertainment unit as well.
What is it you'd like to know? Will try to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Is the stereo compatible with Apple devices? Being Harman developed, it should?
Yes it is. Though we didn't test it, you'll notice that the USB port is labeled as "iPod" rather than "USB".

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am thinking that it will be priced on par with its USP's (Harman Kardon system, projector lamps with corona rings etc) because Tata finally has a car that can sell on merit and not just price alone.
That sounds just like the Aria...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Anyone know the rear suspension layout?
Front: Independent; Lower Wishbone; McPherson Strut with anti-roll bar and Coil Spring
Rear: Semi-Independent; Twist beam with Coil Spring and Shock Absorber

Full spec sheet (including gear ratios) are attached to the bottom of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
Once a product fails to catch good initial responses, it is very difficult to come up with subsequent discounts, price cuts etc.
Agree 1000%. They really need to take a page out of Mahindra's book and come up with some sort of "introductory pricing".

Look at the other super-hyped cars : EcoSport, XUV500, Duster - all of them started off with X price, got a whole lot of bookings and buzz, and then slowly moved the price upwards.

If you try launching at a "premium" price - it just kills the product, and no number of price-cuts and discounts will give it the same success and buzz as it could have had if it was priced at a steal, in our money-conscious market.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th August 2014 at 13:37.
Rehaan is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks