Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2015, 17:06   #1831
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Does anyone have dealer quotes for the official Accessories ? The ones mentioned on ther website (http://zest.tatamotors.com/zest-accessories.pdf)

Particularly interesting ones according to me are :
1. HUD + TPMS projection
2. the parks assist with IRVM Camera
3. 7 Hue ambient lighting

Really glad TATA have bothered to shower such features for a compact sedan, albeit as optional extras, really adds to the feel good factor I'm guessing, for the owners.

I was shocked to find out that HUD is available for a car (way) below 10 lacs, the only one I am aware of is the BMW 5 Series (F10) , although I'm sure other premium cars will have it

Also if any owners have got these please share photos

Thank you
Old 9th March 2015, 19:05   #1832
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, Tata seems to be quite proactive in taking customer feedback.

Launched the Zest XTA at last. http://http://www.autocarindia.com/a...ed-393778.aspx
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 19:18   #1833
Team-BHP Support

Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Well, Tata seems to be quite proactive in taking customer feedback.

Launched the Zest XTA at last. http://http://www.autocarindia.com/a...ed-393778.aspx

Brilliant. Now that makes it my favourite choice in the compact sedan space. Would have surely chosen this over our Xcent SX(o) AT had it been available since launch.

Good move TATA.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th March 2015 at 19:20.
Old 10th March 2015, 01:13   #1834
Senior - BHPian

That is indeed good news. I heard the price premium is 70k? Is that the same as the manual?
Old 10th March 2015, 06:55   #1835
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh_66328 View Post
Another small issue is the steering wheel when turned half way towards right makes a sound precisely at a specific angle. It goes away if turned more. It sounds as if something is rubbing against the steering column. I'll get it checked during the first service.
I too noticed similar problem in my Zest XMA. Its clocked around 700kms now and from past two days, I can feel that the steering column is rubbing something on the foot board. Had you taken to TASS to check it up. What was the issue? Is the problem fixed now?

Getting accustomed to AMT day by day. Found a little trick which I thought of sharing with other ZEST XMA owners to try .

When you feel that car is holding you in a lower gear though road looks flat or inclining downwards in Auto (“A”) mode, you can just quickly move the gear lever from “A” to “M” and bring it back to “A” immediately. This action will move the gear to next higher gear. RPM should be around 1500 and in accelerating state. This is very handy when you are at 1st gear and AMT holds you in 1st till around 2300~2500 RPM though you would want it to be on 2nd gear.

Last edited by GTO : 14th March 2015 at 10:41. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 10th March 2015, 07:46   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd42419 View Post
I too noticed similar problem in my Zest XMA. Its clocked around 700kms now and from past two days, I can feel that the steering column is rubbing something on the foot board. Had you taken to TASS to check it up. What was the issue? Is the problem fixed now?
I faced a similar issue on my Revotron XT too. The TASS guys said it's normal and attributed to the style of power steering implementation. He compared the Zest's mechanism with Swift VDi and said that the mechanism one used on Zest is the better one.
Sorry, cannot remember the explanation he gave though.
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 18:02   #1837

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Do you mean the underbody anti-rust coating?

While modern cars do get a good enough anti-rust treatment from the factory, I would still recommend an underbody anti-rust coating for the coastal cities. The conditions tend to be more corrosive near the coast, and a coating would help.

If you decide to go for it, then get it done only at an independent 3M facility, and not the dealer workshop. The dealership guys generally don't do a thorough job.

At a 3M outlet, you can watch your car from close quarters as it gets coated. 3M's underbody coating with the 5-year warranty has the added advantage of enhancing the car's insulation (from noise & heat, to a certain extent) as well.
Thanks for the information. Could you please let us know of the cost for the underbody coating. I guess this is a rubberized coating. Right ? Also, if you happen to know How much time does it take to complete the coating for one car. Thanks in advance....Safe Driving !!
gautamboseroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 19:51   #1838
BHPian

I checked out the pricing of the XTA in Bangalore. Its approximately 10 lakhs on road. I need feedback from users as to how good the AMT is and how dangerous or otherwise it is proving to be when driving against a gradient.
Old 13th March 2015, 09:20   #1839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
I checked out the pricing of the XTA in Bangalore. Its approximately 10 lakhs on road. I need feedback from users as to how good the AMT is and how dangerous or otherwise it is proving to be when driving against a gradient.
If you are an experienced driver, you will miss the clutch for few days in tricky situations like gradient and tight parking. Once you are used to, it really takes out the stress of constant gear changing in city. As you can switch to semi-manual mode when required, Zest AMT is fun to drive.
Old 13th March 2015, 11:25   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Do you mean the underbody anti-rust coating?
Yes, Under-body, Unless there are more types of antirust treatments as well.

Thanks,
I'll get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Completed a 550 kms trip over the long weekend to Kanha National Park....
About the power loss in ghats that you mention, did you observe over heating ? Had you driven for a long time before hitting the ghats ?

I drove to Lonavla and the ghat is not something to write about but I felt the torque helped me over other cars, of course as long as I kept at 1800 - 2500 RPM. My cousin following in Swift petrol was not as quick(well probably he drove slowly, I didnt check ).

- Slick
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 12:15   #1841
BHPian

Tata Zest : Official Review

Have been driving manual cars since 10 years and what a blunder I did while TD'in the AMT. I was using the manual mode with a bit of spirited driving and while approaching a corner I applied full brakes using my left leg. I was lucky as no one was behind me.
When I introspect I find that when we apply brakes with some mild modulation, we unknowingly depress the clutch. This habit can be life threatening as ur changing gears like u do with ur manual car but ur immediate reaction dominates ur sense and u end up depressing the brakes anticipating it to be clutch.

Also, when you drive a manual car, you have 2 gateways to release power i.e the clutch and the throttle. In an automatic, the power release is solely the throttle input, this makes you feel disconnected and thus limits your authority.

PS- I have driven conventional automatics too but somehow never had this feeling.

Last edited by sudeep.pandya : 13th March 2015 at 12:27.
Old 13th March 2015, 12:29   #1842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
I faced a similar issue on my Revotron XT too. The TASS guys said it's normal and attributed to the style of power steering implementation. He compared the Zest's mechanism with Swift VDi and said that the mechanism one used on Zest is the better one.
Sorry, cannot remember the explanation he gave though.
I have a XMA and I am feeling the same too. Also I am quite fed-up with the times my HK HU keeps hanging or, will not play any sound, or the screen would go off. HK technicians have done 3 visits, re-load the software, but cant do anything. The response is - Sir we can change the HU, but that would not solve the problem, we are waiting for the latest software update to fix the bug, since we have heard of other similar cases as well. Has anyone here experienced something similar?
Old 13th March 2015, 12:49   #1843
Team-BHP Support

Tata Motors has launched the Zest XTA in India at a price of Rs. 8.07 lak (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 13:30   #1844
Senior - BHPian

Great move. So now, XTA is pricier than the XT diesel variant by ~Rs. 74,000. The diesel + AMT combo with the basic safety features should have been offered since day 1. But I'm guessing, Tata had an upper price cap of Rs. 6.99 lakhs within which it wanted to introduce this compact sedan.

I guess now there is absolutely no reason why the Zest shouldn't sell in numbers? Or is there? The other day I jokingly suggested the Zest AMT to a friend who is considering a Rapid DSG and the first reaction was 'no Tata please!' Tata still has a lot of work to pull those customers to the showrooms who wear blinkers/blinders while crossing it.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 14:45   #1845
BANNED

Quote:
Tata Motors has launched the Zest XTA in India at a price of Rs. 8.07 lak (ex-showroom, Delhi).
With this move from Tata, it shows that people are looking at AT + safety features. The only 'Diesel' sedan car <10L bracket with feel and drive of an AT along with all bells and whistles.

Slightly late move but better late than never. Hopefully this variant gets takers and numbers do reflect on the sales thread.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed