Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2015, 09:50   #1891
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Did anybody got 1st or 2nd service on you Zest AMT recently. Want to know if there was any update on AMT ECU. I feel sometimes car unnecessarily goes into 1st gear in slow city traffic giving jerky feeling. Hoping to get ECU update.
Old 13th April 2015, 15:52   #1892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd42419 View Post
Did anybody got 1st or 2nd service on you Zest AMT recently. Want to know if there was any update on AMT ECU. I feel sometimes car unnecessarily goes into 1st gear in slow city traffic giving jerky feeling. Hoping to get ECU update.
Hi, as you happen to own an AMT Zest, how is your experience on the car? I am planning to book an XTA AMT but somehow skeptical on the overall performance of AMT. To give you a background, i have travelled 75K in last four year in Mumbai traffic, so i need something more hassle free. TD'ed Rapid/Vento DSG twins and they are amazing, however with them retailing ~14lac OTR in Thane, i feel they are way over my budget. How does the AMT behave in stop-go traffic? Also when you are in a boy-racer mode; is the AMT an hindrance? I know i am comparing the wrong examples AMT with DSG, but if it negotiates the city traffic without too much fuss, i think that's worth it!
Old 13th April 2015, 22:04   #1893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
Hi, as you happen to own an AMT Zest, how is your experience on the car? I am planning to book an XTA AMT but somehow skeptical on the overall performance of AMT. To give you a background, i have travelled 75K in last four year in Mumbai traffic, so i need something more hassle free. TD'ed Rapid/Vento DSG twins and they are amazing, however with them retailing ~14lac OTR in Thane, i feel they are way over my budget. How does the AMT behave in stop-go traffic? Also when you are in a boy-racer mode; is the AMT an hindrance? I know i am comparing the wrong examples AMT with DSG, but if it negotiates the city traffic without too much fuss, i think that's worth it!
I have clocked just 3000 KMS so far with my XMA. I was in the same state like you, driving close to 1lac kms in Bangalore city with Tata Indigo, City and Safari Strome for last 5 years. AMT makes life really easy for 95% of the times. It makes city driving really ease and enjoyable as you can keep the car on “Auto” or “Manual” based on your mood. However, I mentioned 95% because there are few 5% tricky situations where you would repent moving to AMT from a Manual. Especially in bumper to bumper traffic, making small quick movements require proper modulating accelerator (not too hard, not too soft). Also at times when want to move like a snail in traffic with 2nd gear, computer shifts car to 1st gear making you move suddenly. This behavior do not encourage you to be very close to other cars to make quick movement when you want to keep just an inch gap between cars (to stop bikes from cutting between and scratch the bumper ). Reversing in tight spots is also the same story. It either moves very slowly or jumps quickly making it difficult to moderate the accelerator as you could do in manual having clutch to be in complete control.

I too drove Vento DSG recently and it almost takes out that 5% unfriendly behavior that AMT has. Especially, DSG comes with hill assist, it hold the car for 2 seconds before it rolls back briefly before TCU gives auto acceleration and 7 speed gearbox which do not have large gear ratio difference between 1st and 2nd to give jerky movement in slow city traffic.

Besides the minor downsides that I mentioned, when AMT used with manual mode in semi traffic condition it behaves like a poor man’s sports car with effortless quick upshift and downshifts. When compared to my previous cars I take out AMT more often due to its ease to drive and drive pleasure.
Old 13th April 2015, 23:05   #1894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
Just took the delivery of TATA zest Revortron XMS last week.
I was super excited about the car till I had put the car in reverse for the first time.
I noticed it makes a grinding noise and the car jerks a bit. I always make it sure that the car is stationary for a moment before I put it in reverse. Now from past two days I'm noticing that the first gear has become notchy and requires additional effort especially while the car is idling say at Red lights.

Is the problem serious? I have been told that the gears may feel a bit notchy when the car is new but I have never experienced such thing in any of my earlier cars.

Please advise.

Regards
Congratulations on your Zest! It surely is a nice car

Even I had notchy gear shifts during reverse gear engage. I got it addressed immediately. The service advisor mentioned that he did some minor clutch adjustment. Post that, all my gear engagements are butter smooth.
He also said that some Revotron vehicles come with minor clutch adjustment issues.
balajisv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 23:15   #1895
BHPian

Got my first service done on my Revotron XT last week. Completed 1900 kms within 3 months.

Issues addressed:
Cabin bulb replacement
Mileage (I used to get 8-10 kmpl)
ECU update
Mud prevention kit installation
First service Checks

Total cost : Zero
Service center : Concorde Motors, Diary circle, Bangalore

Car is butter smooth to drive!
I don't see any improvement in the mileage front though :(
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 11:07   #1896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Congratulations on your Zest! It surely is a nice car

Even I had notchy gear shifts during reverse gear engage. I got it addressed immediately. The service advisor mentioned that he did some minor clutch adjustment. Post that, all my gear engagements are butter smooth.
He also said that some Revotron vehicles come with minor clutch adjustment issues.
Thanks for the prompt response.

Had registered the complaint on the TML customer care number and received a call from the dealer within 24 hours. Have scheduled a visit to to the service center for tomorrow.

regards
Old 14th April 2015, 11:17   #1897
BHPian

Quote:
I don't see any improvement in the mileage front though :(
Of course the traffic conditions play a significant role in mileage figures but what I have observed that even the driving style seems make a huge difference. I'll quote only the MID figures displayed over 100 kms but when I am driving, the figures hover around 16-17 kpl while on same roads with dad or brother driving, figures drop to 13-15 kpl.

I shift between 1700 - 2000 rpm while brother shifts between 2500 - 3000 rpm.

I am not sure if all cars are so sensitive to driving styles or zest is an exception.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 14th April 2015 at 11:18. Reason: typo error
Old 14th April 2015, 12:58   #1898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Of course the traffic conditions play a significant role in mileage figures but what I have observed that even the driving style seems make a huge difference. I'll quote only the MID figures displayed over 100 kms but when I am driving, the figures hover around 16-17 kpl while on same roads with dad or brother driving, figures drop to 13-15 kpl.

I shift between 1700 - 2000 rpm while brother shifts between 2500 - 3000 rpm.

I am not sure if all cars are so sensitive to driving styles or zest is an exception.
Rightly said. Zest seems to be very sensitive to driving styles. B2B traffic in Bangalore is worst and the low FE figures are not surprising given the heavy body of Zest.
Old 14th April 2015, 15:12   #1899
BHPian

Quote:
Got my first service done on my Revotron XT last week. Completed 1900 kms within 3 months.

Issues addressed:
Cabin bulb replacement
The cabin lamp bulb was replaced in my first service too. It would flicker continuously and shut off after 2 minutes. Happened in the first month of ownership.
What was your issue?
BTW, I was charged 84/- as bulbs are not covered in warranty

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th April 2015 at 15:29. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 14th April 2015, 15:44   #1900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankverma View Post
The cabin lamp bulb was replaced in my first service too. It would flicker continuously and shut off after 2 minutes. Happened in the first month of ownership.
What was your issue?
BTW, I was charged 84/- as bulbs are not covered in warranty
With the switch on the right extreme position, the light was not working.

I have not been charged at all. Is it because I have gold amc?
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 16:26   #1901
BHPian

Quote:
With the switch on the right extreme position, the light was not working.

I have not been charged at all. Is it because I have gold amc?
Yes its the AMC working here . I should get the gold AMC ASAP now. It makes sense nowadays with the unpredictability of vehicles across brands and repair/replacement costs going north.
Old 14th April 2015, 19:55   #1902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd42419 View Post
I have clocked just 3000 KMS so far with my XMA.
=========
When compared to my previous cars I take out AMT more often due to its ease to drive and drive pleasure.
Thanks for the reply! So here is my situation; I am mostly considering the XTA owing to snail paced traffic. Currently all the roads (almost all!) are dug up in Mumbai. Usually my speed is 1 meter / minute; so these are the situations which frustrate me as I have to constantly keep my foot on the clutch to stay with the flow. So from what you describe how would the gearbox handle such situation? I am fine with any other car if the traffic is moving, but its such situations wherein I feel, I need an automatic, but if the AMT fails in such situations; do i need to consider other options?
Old 14th April 2015, 19:57   #1903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankverma View Post
Yes its the AMC working here . I should get the gold AMC ASAP now. It makes sense nowadays with the unpredictability of vehicles across brands and repair/replacement costs going north.
You are right. However, even with the Gold AMC, the warranty is upto 45 K kms, which is standard with silver AMC, the difference between the both you are aware of.

Chances of main parts( like clutch plate etc) going caput within 45 K kms is less. Pricy parts like transmission parts, self starter motor, alternator, problems with fuel injection system etc are already covered under the standard warranty of 3 years/1 lakh km or an optional extended warranty upto 4 years/1.5 lakh.

However, as you have mentioned, the unpredictability factor and pricier by day maintenance costs do force one to opt for the schemes like the Gold AMC.

My Zest did about 12,000 kilometres. Second service is due in another 3 K kilometres. Oil and filter would be changed at this service. What I didnt like is the 15 K service interval. At the first service, I insisted on changing engine oil (at 5 K km) and charge it to me. The SA didnt oblige. Long drain engine oils are prevalent now a days but still I think 10 K interval is okay.

Last edited by simplyself : 14th April 2015 at 20:06.
Old 14th April 2015, 22:21   #1904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
Thanks for the reply! So here is my situation; I am mostly considering the XTA owing to snail paced traffic. Currently all the roads (almost all!) are dug up in Mumbai. Usually my speed is 1 meter / minute; so these are the situations which frustrate me as I have to constantly keep my foot on the clutch to stay with the flow. So from what you describe how would the gearbox handle such situation? I am fine with any other car if the traffic is moving, but its such situations wherein I feel, I need an automatic, but if the AMT fails in such situations; do i need to consider other options?
For the condition you are illustrating I honestly suggest you to consider DSG/Torque Convertor/CVT or even manual (with softer clutch), unless I am mistaken badly and other AMT owners prove me wrong who are driving their cars in day to day snug tight traffic. At times you would feel that a bit hardship on pressing clutch is better than having uncontrolled feeling in tight quick movements with AMT. AMT thrives when it finds moderate traffic.

I would urge other AMT owners to comment on this and also let me know if anybody got any TCU updates which has made AMT to behave better in snail traffic and reversing in tight spots. Few minor corrections/enhancement would make Zest AMT a much better car .
Old 14th April 2015, 22:24   #1905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
You are right. However, even with the Gold AMC, the warranty is upto 45 K kms, which is standard with silver AMC, the difference between the both you are aware of.

Chances of main parts( like clutch plate etc) going caput within 45 K kms is less. Pricy parts like transmission parts, self starter motor, alternator, problems with fuel injection system etc are already covered under the standard warranty of 3 years/1 lakh km or an optional extended warranty upto 4 years/1.5 lakh.
Gold AMC was just 7.5K for cars purchased before Dec 31st 2014. I felt it made good sense and great value in opting for it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks