Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2015, 19:52   #1936
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankverma View Post
I did not face this issue. The key worked fine until it was drowned.

Are you quoting 19 plus for petrol or diesel? My XT RT returned 18.6 kpl with A/C at 24 deg and speed around 60 kmph(big restraint ) this weekend. Floor the throttle a bit more and it easily drops to 14 kpl.
Sorry I didn't mention that mine is a diesel, an XM.

Remote not working is not at all a problem, it may have something to do with its programming.

I am not quite mileage conscious but I prefer to keep the speeds upto 100. And with AC always on.

Ofcourse, diesel engine tried and tested so the mileage figures for it are expected. It is the Revotron which makes the owners wary .

Most posts on this thread are regarding the RT, after the initial buzz.

I would love to know how the 75 BHP XE version faring, both in sales and performance.

Last edited by simplyself : 5th May 2015 at 19:57.
Old 8th May 2015, 12:56   #1937
BHPian

Wo, Back after a long gap, I have clocked in 2300Kms mostly in city (city mode as well) and with 100%AC

1. Mileage - Initially for 8.5 kmpl in traffic and has gradually increased to 10kmpl in city mode
I change gears around 1800 rpm and I have observed that changing them early increases the mileage by around 1.5,
but the resulting slowness or lug is not enjoyable. I have made my peace with this.
Eco mode returns 11 kmpl with the above settings.

As an experiment I have tried to extract the highest mileage in light traffic
Eco Mode, AC Off and at night while retuning from office. I was able to manage 14.4 kmpl max though it is not possible to drive like that regularly.

A highway drive to Lonavla early on in the ownership yielded 14kmpl with 40 mins of engine running & car stationary with AC on.

I have learned one thing about the Zest FE - If you maintain the rpm steady at any point the FE starts increasing big time. 5th gear 50-60kmph being the sweet spot. If you keep changing the RPM the FE drops, even slight RPM Changes.

If you want more FE please switchoff the engine at signals, The FE is hit the most when the car is stationary and the engine running.

2. Driveability - I actually feel that in slow moving traffic the eco mode is more reliable as it responds more like a 'NA' engine and none of the uncomfortable turbo kick is present.
This is only till about 40-50kmph. After that it feels slow compared to other cars.

Under had acceleration Sports mode doesn't deliver power till eternity it bogs down around 90 -100kmph after which I give it a 1 sec break and hit the throttle again. It responds well after that.

I have driven the swift and punto diesels and they respond differently after the turbo kicks in (The punto being more linear)
The Zest turbo in my opinion does not respond like that. In the sport mode it does pick up but I doesn't feel like a 90hp.

3. Ride - The ride has been comfortable and nice. very happy with this.

4. Battery - I honked hard at an auto for cutting in, pressed the horn pad for 2 secs, and the horn power came down drastically after the initial burst. I checked this a few times and one out of three times the horn does that suggesting that the battery is weak, but I have had no issues in lights or cranking.

5. The ICE is working nice.
6. Power loss in inclines - I have not had this issue yet but remember losing power in 2nd gear in lonavla but my shifting back to 1st had solved it and I attributed it to wrong shifting. Will keep an eye on this next time I travel.

7. Service - Have got my First service done and it was ok. Wash and some software update I guess.

PS - Gearshift from 5th to 4th not being smooth- I think there is a mechanism to stop ot from going in to reverse hence the hurdle, please correct if I am wrong.

- Slick

Last edited by Slick : 8th May 2015 at 13:00.
Slick is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 13:18   #1938
Distinguished - BHPian

For a 1.2 liter engine, isn't an FE of 8.5 kmpl or even 10 quite disappointing? I read in other posts too that the Zest is giving a lot of users a poor FE of ~9 kmpl. Much bigger engines extract better than those figures in my opinion and experience.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 14:27   #1939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
For a 1.2 liter engine, isn't an FE of 8.5 kmpl or even 10 quite disappointing? I read in other posts too that the Zest is giving a lot of users a poor FE of ~9 kmpl. Much bigger engines extract better than those figures in my opinion and experience.
Tata petrol engines are not known for fuel economy. Hence the FE may not be phenomenal. Moreover this is the same old school cast iron block engine which was found in earlier cars, with a turbo strapped on.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 15:14   #1940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshul_UVA View Post
There is also one more thing - the un-commanded acceleration in auto-crawl mode: When the computer switches to auto-crawl mode in 1st and 2nd gear there is a 2-3 second gap where it doesn’t recognize brake inputs. If you need to brake at that time, say because there is a vehicle in front of you, the computer will continue accelerating the car even though you are pressing the brake!! You have brake really hard and abruptly to avoid hitting the vehicle in front. This behavior of the computer is very surprising and annoying especially in crowded traffic.
Prashanth
I also own a Zest XMA QJ and have completed 5000 kms in Delhi/NCR traffic. Around 40% of my daily commute is in crawling traffic. I have noticed that AMT auto-crawl problem happens when we try to quickly accelerate the car to close in on the car in front.

To avoid it, I usually give mild throttle input, which seems to have solved 90% of the auto-crawl issue. In Delhi/NCR however, the favourite area of bikers during jam, is on the footpath or on the shoulder of the road, so bikers cutting between me and the front car is not an issue here.

But, largely I am happy with the AMT performance.

The only concern I have is that the shift from 1st to 2nd gear is a bit jerky. I feel that 1st to 2nd gear shift should happen at around 1500 rpm instead of the current 2100 rpm. But, when there is a four or five passenger load, the gear shift is more smooth. It seems that Tata has kept a static limit of 2100 rpm for gear shifts irrespective of passenger load and gradient.
Old 8th May 2015, 15:14   #1941
BHPian

Quote:
I do think 10kmpl is low but only slightly. It is a heavy car and quite big too.

My 7 yr WagonR gives around 12-13kmpl in the same conditions with full AC.

So I thought 10kmpl for Zest was decent.

- Slick
Old 8th May 2015, 16:53   #1942
BHPian

Quote:
It's just not the engine. It's power to weight to ratio too. A bigger cc engine doesn't always mean poor fuel efficiency and smaller engine doesn't always mean better efficiency. Simple example: A 90 cc engine on TVS champ still gives only 45 kmpl which, is comparable to a similar efficiency of pulsar with a 150 cc engine.
Old 10th May 2015, 02:54   #1943
BHPian

Quote:
Even I am surprised to see those numbers from fellow members. I have done a tank to tank mileage check only one and got 15 kpl on a long trip while MID was also showing 15 kpl. Since then, I have come to believe that MID shows a fairly accurate value.

To summarise a very recent trip with 4 passengers on-board, MID showed 13 kpl over a 60 km journey which included bumper to bumper traffic, several traffic signals and idling on some while turning off engine on some, packed highway with quick overtakes and lots of accelerating to highway speeds and then braking to come down to 1st gear. All this while AC was set to 25 C and "Sport" mode was selected because I just don't feel confident overtaking in City mode.

I have been going through other cars' ownership threads and no car reports such contrasting experience. I wonder if this engine is so sensitive and has efficiency swinging over such wide range.
Old 10th May 2015, 15:29   #1944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Simple example: A 90 cc engine on TVS champ still gives only 45 kmpl which, is comparable to a similar efficiency of pulsar with a 150 cc engine.
Bad example pareshraheja. You are comparing decades old 2-stroke engine in Champ with an ultra modern 4-stroke engine in Pulsar. On that note, even the Pulsar's FE is low. I get 50+ in my 9 year old Honda Unicorn in Bangalore traffic and there is not much hi-tech in the Unicorn's engine either.

Actually, on a second thought, it is actually a good example. Even Tata uses a generation old cast iron engine in Zest (same was used in Indica Xeta), only having a turbo in addition. So, no wonder the fuel efficiency figures are comparatively low. The weight of the car + old tech engine are the most important reasons for poor FE IMO.

Last edited by Vigkey : 10th May 2015 at 15:31.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 16:40   #1945
BHPian

I have observed an unexpected behaviour a couple of time while doing a cold start. When cranked, the engine comes to life instantly but the RPM fluctuates between 400-800 RPM for a sec and then rises to 1100 RPM.

When I first observed this, the Climate Control was on from last trip. I assumed this must be because the blower kicked in and maybe even the compressor started when I started. However, this also happened a couple of days back when blower was on.
Old 14th May 2015, 02:26   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd42419 View Post

I would urge other AMT owners to comment on this and also let me know if anybody got any TCU updates which has made AMT to behave better in snail traffic and reversing in tight spots. Few minor corrections/enhancement would make Zest AMT a much better car .
I dont own a Zest, but I did test a Diesel AMT for close to an hour during peak traffic around the Manyata tech park area.

I found the AMT relaxing to drive in traffic. Though I did not like the full auto mode, the Manual mode gave me the control of a MT as well as the convenience of an Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirdayitantrik View Post
For those going in for the first service of their ZEST, I would like to share my experience through a letter of complaint that I had sent to the GM(service) of Oberoi Cars Noida. It does not matter whether you are in Mumbai/Bangalore/Hyderabad/Kolkata, the legacy of TASS is marred with corruption. So, beware..
Sirji, I have faced most these issues with the much touted Toyota service centers too. I have waited an hour to get a job card done, even after fixing an appointment. Everytime the car will be given back with one or more jobs incomplete. Bumper was replaced once the mud flaps went missing. Fog lamp bulbs weren't replaced during two services. Car perfumes, extra reverse sensors stolen. Forget free, these were paid visits. Many a times, I have found their regular service folks so incompetent that I have to give them instructions. I had hit a pothole which bent some suspension components, it took them 4 months to figure out the sub-frame was damaged. I was spending so much time in the shop floor, i started asking for part time pay :P Only After I insisted on dismantling the subframe, they hesitantly did so.

What I am trying to say is, most service center are similar, I blame the people rather than the manufacturer. Most people are just incompetent or lethargic or have a dont care attitude. I feel bad complaining as their SA's are always running around with the biggest smile ever. But then, smiles dont fix our cars, I guess we need to make proper use of those feedback forms.

Quote:
8.5kmpl is way too low. My friends RT returns around 10.5-11 kmpl in city and around 14.5-16 kmpl in the highways. Which I believe is pretty decent for a vehicle this heavy. Have you tried resetting the counter like other have suggested here ?

I drive a petrol Liva, and I get the same mileage as my friends Zest. Most petrols economy hover in that rage as well. Except, a collegues Swift which always showed 16kmpl + in the MID for city conditions with A/C on. But when he checked with Tank-tankup method, it turned out to be about 14ish. Not sure if its a calibration issue, or if Maruti configures it that way on purpose to show optimistic mileage figures.

Last edited by anand.shankar : 14th May 2015 at 02:30.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2015, 01:46   #1947

I booked the TATA Zest XTA 2 months ago and well, it still has not been delivered . So I was asked by the dealer to forward a mail to TATA regarding this. Here's the content of the mail.

"Hello,
I have booked the TATA Zest XTA (blue) on 16th of March, 2015 at Autovikas, Dwarka, New Delhi. At the time of placing the order, I was told by the sales executive that the waiting period was 2-4 weeks, which was confirmed by TATA by the dealer prior to my booking, I checked this at Concorde Motors, South extension, New Delhi as well and was confirmed the same waiting time.

I have regularly checked for updates regarding the delivery of my car but it has been over two months and my car is yet to be delivered and the words of the dealer are still the same "will be arriving soon". I have now been given a new date to expect the car by my dealer, i.e end of May, 2015.

Another issue which is related to the interior of the car, is a moving (rotating) part in the driver side foot well, an exposed part of the steering wheel rod which rotates. This part interfered with my foot when I pressed the clutch and rotated the steering simultaneously, although the car I have booked is an automatic. Any moving part (especially in the foot well) is totally unacceptable as it is susceptible to damage (by water, mud etc) as well as potentially capable of injuring the driver.

I want this issue to be addressed and fixed at the earliest.

I also require the exact date of delivery to be confirmed by TATA (in written) as this is very unprofessional on behalf of TATA (as well as the dealer) to make the customer wait after having assured a delivery after 2-4 weeks (it has been 9+ weeks as of 17.05.2015)"

I hope TATA replies to my queries soon.

Also, has anybody else received their TATA Zest XTA yet?
Old 17th May 2015, 09:05   #1948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post

I drive a petrol Liva, and I get the same mileage as my friends Zest. Most petrols economy hover in that rage as well. Except, a collegues Swift which always showed 16kmpl + in the MID for city conditions with A/C on. But when he checked with Tank-tankup method, it turned out to be about 14ish. Not sure if its a calibration issue, or if Maruti configures it that way on purpose to show optimistic mileage figures.
Among the petrol cars Maruti has the best FE figures ( but Honda gxi Automatic's Fuel efficiency reports surprised me many times).

But if people consistently seeing a big difference in MID FE figures and the real figures using full tank to full tank method then the company should be sued.

In India there is no real protection for consumers, especially in the automotive sector.
I remember that the alto Lxi use to come without even a left mirror.

Petrol cars are very sensitive to RPMs , allowing cars to gain momentum slowly with out taking it to high RPMS will help a lot.

Its good to use additives (injector cleaners) intermittently as we never get pure and clean fuel from bunks. This will help the injector and fuel lines to be clean.

If you are driving in dusty places , then clean the air filter more frequently
using performance filters may help but it might attract dust to the engine. so need to be careful while choosing the right one.

I have used Indica Xeta for short period in Bangalore the FE was 8.5 in peak hours.
Old 17th May 2015, 09:35   #1949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdeeppaul1995 View Post
a moving (rotating) part in the driver side foot well, an exposed part of the steering wheel rod which rotates. This part interfered with my foot when I pressed the clutch and rotated the steering simultaneously, although the car I have booked is an automatic. Any moving part (especially in the foot well) is totally unacceptable as it is susceptible to damage (by water, mud etc) as well as potentially capable of injuring the driver.
That is steering column and when you turn the steering, it will rotate. If it is a manual, depressing the clutch you will feel the movement. This happens in many cars. It happened in my old Palio and I believe it would be there with all the Fiats, not sure about all the Tatas though. From my experience, it can't injure the driver's foot as even bare footed I have touched it many times but the movement is such that it just caressed the foot. Also, that part is open in many other cars, but because of it's location being not inline with the clutch pedal, it doesn't foul with driver's foot, so getting damaged by mud or water is not likely too. It is not a problem to be fixed. Moreover, as you already said, being an automatic, you never take your foot to a position where it would go pressing clutch, so no worries there.
When I got my XMA, it was delivered in one month or so, so can't comment on this but 2 months ia really not good. I hope Tata replies to this and delivers your car as the earliest!!
In my XMA, going over potholes makes a big 'thud' noise, like something is broken. Service guys say that they are getting many such complaints from Zest owners and that Tata is already working on this. Being a well known issue for long now, I don't know why are they taking so much time to get it fixed and do a recall.
Old 17th May 2015, 10:25   #1950
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdeeppaul1995 View Post
I booked the TATA Zest XTA 2 months ago and well, it still has not been delivered . So I was asked by the dealer to forward a mail to TATA regarding this. Here's the content of the mail.

"Hello,
I have booked the TATA Zest XTA (blue) on 16th of March, 2015 at Autovikas, Dwarka, New Delhi. At the time of placing the order, I was told by the sales executive that the waiting period was 2-4 weeks, which was confirmed by TATA by the dealer prior to my booking, I checked this at Concorde Motors, South extension, New Delhi as well and was confirmed the same waiting time.

I have regularly checked for updates regarding the delivery of my car but it has been over two months and my car is yet to be delivered and the words of the dealer are still the same "will be arriving soon". I have now been given a new date to expect the car by my dealer, i.e end of May, 2015.

I also require the exact date of delivery to be confirmed by TATA (in written) as this is very unprofessional on behalf of TATA (as well as the dealer) to make the customer wait after having assured a delivery after 2-4 weeks (it has been 9+ weeks as of 17.05.2015)"

I hope TATA replies to my queries soon.

Also, has anybody else received their TATA Zest XTA yet?
Try talking to Concorde since they seem more professional than AutoVikas. They might come up with the solution to your waiting period.

Most Viewed