Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2016, 10:56   #2356
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
I'm still trying to digest the milage claimed. Howz that even possible no matter how you drive it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Exactly my thoughts! Could anyone clarify on this? I own a nano and i have touched 20kms/l only once.
Drive your cars at a steady 50 km/h on a good, flat road in the highest gear possible without straining the engine and see what sort of mileage you get. Ensure that they tyres are inflated to the correct pressure or even a bit higher, say 40 PSI. It's terribly boring to drive this way but this would be how the entire convoy would have driven.

I don't know how long the MID instantaneous fuel consumption read out takes to update but I think a 4 or 5 km drive would be enough to see the current consumption to be seen.

It goes without saying that nobody could drive this way in normal conditions. So the fuel consumption that you get from this experiment would not representative of what you can achieve in normal driving conditions.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:28   #2357
BHPian

I booked a Zest XT RT yesterday. Will post more details later. Got a discount of 22K and also an exchange bonus of 20 K. Hopefully a good deal

There has been a price increase for all Tata cars. Attaching the details. Sorry for the picture quality
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-tata-car-price-.jpg  

rajesh1868 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 13:27   #2358
BHPian

A couple of weeks ago, I got my Zest petrol XT's second free service done. This is a report on the effectiveness of the service, despite explicit communication with the service manager, both written and oral. Apologies for the longish post.

The car had been bought at the end of Dec 2014, and had done 13,000 odd KMs. Having noted no reminder calls from Concorde that the second service was due, I myself called them around the 22nd of Dec to schedule the free second service in the 2nd week of Jan as per my availability. This goes against my previous experience with Maruti where repeated reminder calls were the norm.

The car was picked up and delivered by a Concorde Mumbai representative. I was told he would arrive around 9.00 am, while the actually came by 11.15 am. I told him that he was late and that by the time the car was at the service centre, half the day would be gone. Also told him I would like to have the car serviced and delivered the same day. During the pick-up, I informed the pick-up guy and wrote on the pick-up slip that one of the reverse parking sensor had disappeared inside the bumper making the system show a fault on the touch screen. Once the car reached the service station, I informed the service manager about the same, asking him if it would need a re-calibration. He said he would get back. Also asked him to do the following:
  1. Transaxle oil change as per the manual (the service adviser did not know that the petrol version needed a change)
  2. Update the Harmon Kardon system, if any available
  3. Update the ECU, if any available
  4. Oil and filter change
  5. Specifically asked one by one all the other service points as per the manual, given that he did not know about the Transaxle oil change
In the evening, I got a call from the service adviser that there was no water to clean the car, and could he send the serviced car without an outer wash. Since I needed the car, I said that would be ok, and confirmed if all other points spoken in the morning were addressed. He confirmed.

He went on to say that there was an "updation kit" for the Zest. But it was not available presently! I was shocked and told him that I had called for a service more than 15 days ago, and they knew it was the second free service, so why had they not ordered the kit and kept it ready for installation. No answer.

Alas, when I received the car in the evening, while the reverse parking sensor was fixed in the bumper, the HK touch screen still showed the critical fault. How could they have missed it? They must have moved the car in and out of the workshop in reverse for sure, and they informed me that they had taken trials! The only deduction is they simply ignored it!

All in all, the car is moving well after the service. Since I am not in the city for some time, I have not been able to take these issues up physically with Concorde. Have told them to order the updation kit. Will physically go there once they get the kit. Just disappointed with these guys that they don't put efforts to get things right the first time, even though the issues are brought to their notice.

Last edited by PVPal : 25th January 2016 at 13:30.
PVPal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 14:12   #2359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPal View Post
Just disappointed with these guys that they don't put efforts to get things right the first time, even though the issues are brought to their notice.
Do give this feedback clearly when you get the call from Tata Motors Pune number. Also pls try to get the contact details of the Tata Motors service head for your region through your dealership. Keep it handy if you have to give a gentle escalation. It helps immensely.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 14:52   #2360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPal View Post
Will physically go there once they get the kit. Just disappointed with these guys that they don't put efforts to get things right the first time, even though the issues are brought to their notice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Do give this feedback clearly when you get the call from Tata Motors Pune number. Also pls try to get the contact details of the Tata Motors service head for your region through your dealership. Keep it handy if you have to give a gentle escalation. It helps immensely.
Escalation definitely helps at all dealerships.

After a few poor experiences with both Tata and Maruti, I have made it a point to drop the car myself to meet the service advisor and once again collect the car myself to ensure that the work is done to my satisfaction. If not, I can put pressure on the SA to do it immediately. Once the car comes back to you with poorly done work, it's cumbersome to send the car back for another day.
Old 26th January 2016, 20:20   #2361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdeva View Post
Recently I faced an issue with my A/C in zest RT. The a/c was not throwing air as earlier ... Basically there is a filter located at the passenger side foot wall. This was clogged. The mechanic cleaned it thoroughly and the a/c is now functioning as it was before. Cabin gets chilled in no time.

Sharing this in case anyone else is facing similar issue with their a/c performance.

.. Excellent service, I would say.
I too have faced the problem at the time of first service. AC stopped cooling the cabin and as the blower speed is increased, only sound increased but no increase in air throw or cooling. After switching off the AC for about 15 - 20 minutes, it worked just fine. Faced the problem thrice in a span of 3 hours, one of it being while passing through Chennai bypass. The issue was resolved at the time of service. The problem repeated itself again once before second service. Now, car is at 29 K km, and the problem repeated itself and refuses to go. As I have a service scheduled at 30 K, I didnt visit the TASS for now.

But for this problem, the car is superb. No rattles, no niggles, good mileage, good comfort. It surprises me even after so many kilometres with the way it rides and handles.

Last edited by simplyself : 26th January 2016 at 20:21.
Old 26th January 2016, 20:48   #2362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I too have faced the problem at the time of first service. AC stopped cooling the cabin and as the blower speed is increased, only sound increased but no increase in air throw or cooling. After switching off the AC for about 15 - 20 minutes, it worked just fine. Faced the problem thrice in a span of 3 hours, one of it being while passing through Chennai bypass. The issue was resolved at the time of service. The problem repeated itself again once before second service. Now, car is at 29 K km, and the problem repeated itself and refuses to go. As I have a service scheduled at 30 K, I didnt visit the TASS for now.

But for this problem, the car is superb. No rattles, no niggles, good mileage, good comfort. It surprises me even after so many kilometres with the way it rides and handles.

I faced this same problem on my genx nano. Escalate it with Customer care. Thermostat has to be replaced. They have to replace it with a new thermostat part. TML has found this to be a problem with thermostat. I recently did a trip to Tirupathi from Bangalore . No more problems with ac.
Old 27th January 2016, 02:17   #2363
BHPian

I test drove the diesel auto today. Tata sure has done a heck of a job with this vehicle. Great feel, excellent NVH, good ride, and just felt great to drive. The brakes seemed a little on a hair trigger, but perhaps it was just this model. No offence to anyone but the Tata logo (IMHO) itself looked tacky on a vehicle of this class; I seriously think they should consider changing it a little.

I'm not sure whether it's this vehicle of the TUV300 - completely different vehicles I know, but I'm looking for a 'solid' diesel auto I can drive in the city and over long distance, and which has ample space. Under and around the Rs 10 lakh price point, these two are the obvious choices. Has anyone compared the two?

Last edited by C'estlavie : 27th January 2016 at 02:18.
Old 27th January 2016, 02:43   #2364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
Under and around the Rs 10 lakh price point, these two are the obvious choices. Has anyone compared the two?
With that kind of budget, I think you can go safely opt for the top variant Figo Aspire (Titanium Plus) with its best-in-segment diesel engine.
Old 27th January 2016, 02:52   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
With that kind of budget, I think you can go safely opt for the top variant Figo Aspire (Titanium Plus) with its best-in-segment diesel engine.
Than tjacob but that's a manual, as far as I know. I am looking for a diesel automatic in the range, so not an option for me. Plus the Figo's review on teambhp says is has lighter build quality and lesser space (suited to 4 adults), both of which take it to the bottom of my list.
Old 27th January 2016, 03:07   #2366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
Than tjacob but that's a manual, as far as I know. I am looking for a diesel automatic in the range, so not an option for me. Plus the Figo's review on teambhp says is has lighter build quality and lesser space (suited to 4 adults), both of which take it to the bottom of my list.
Didn't realize you were keen on an AT.

I've checked the out the Zest XT and the Aspire Titanium +, both petrol, even though the Zest is comfortable, I did not feel much difference between the build quality of both the cars, both seemed very lightly built.
tjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 04:54   #2367
BHPian

No way. The doors and bonnet feel decidedly heavier on the zest. Even my friend who owns Vento was surprised by the heft of the zest doors. They feel as heavy as the ones on the ecoport.

Infact I could overhear a customer during my last visit at Ford showroom complaining about the tinny doors on aspire to which the sales rep replied and I quote " based on the negative feedback about the heftiness of the ecosport doors, Ford decided to give lighter doors on aspire" I just couldn't stop giggling.

Any way do check them out back to back and you can easily notice the difference. Zest is the heaviest one in its class too. Gives that typical tijori on wheels kinda feel.
Old 27th January 2016, 10:37   #2368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
I did not feel much difference between the build quality of both the cars, both seemed very lightly built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
No way. Zest is the heaviest one in its class too. Gives that typical tijori on wheels kinda feel.
Zest's rear doors feel better to close than my Fiesta's. That is the best compliment I guess. Front doors feel as good as my Fiesta's too.
My father deives an XMA, the one with AMT. It's a hoot to drive and feel quite planted on insane speeds too. Plus ingress and egress is the easiest with the Zest. All SUVs are too high, so you need to climb in, and sedans are a little too low slung, but Zest sits on such a height that you can just walk in and walk out, especially that rear seat which is the most comfortable rear seat too, a boon for the elderly.
Old 28th January 2016, 13:24   #2369
BHPian

Guys I have been experiencing a problem with my ICE on my XMA (which I love because of the AMT) for some time now. The digital clock on the HK ICE keeps falling behind by just about half a minute every day, result that you have to adjust it every 10 days, as you realize that you are actually late to office. Also now my Bluetooth pairing with my OPO just refuses to pull my contacts and keeps showing "busy fetching contacts.." error message. Also the radio antenna/reception is extremely poor and keeps losing signals on bad reception patches in Delhi which in my other cars I never realized existed.

Also especially in this winters I have been now experiencing in cold mornings after a cold start the AMT to be extremely sluggish and holding 1st and 2nd gears to almost over 4k RPM, which makes a racket of a sound. Also keep experiencing sometimes the AMT is slow to engage clutch when I brake in B2B traffic and as a result you have to be very careful and keep a proper distance to the car in front.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Other than these it is a breeze to drive and the interior build quality on still having no rattles just shows (mind you I am not a careful driver on the bumps at all).
Old 28th January 2016, 15:10   #2370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Guys I have been experiencing a problem with my ICE on my XMA (which I love because of the AMT) for some time now. The digital clock on the HK ICE keeps falling behind by just about half a minute every day, result that you have to adjust it every 10 days, as you realize that you are actually late to office..
I too face the same problem with my XM Diesel.More to do with the unit, it seems. Shall ask them specifically to look at it and the AC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks