Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2016, 16:33   #2431
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Are you sure they connected to Harman system? Also which TASS did you go to?
Yes, majority of the car's components are connected to this system and not just music. I've got an XT, not sure if its the same in all models but that's what I was told.
Old 17th April 2016, 22:26   #2432
BHPian

Did a test drive of Zest XMA with Concorde, Kochi. The SA was Mr Reni. Called up Concorde for a test drive in morning by 930. The TD vehicle was at Perumbavur and they promised me to reach Thrissur by 4 PM. Mr Reni called me exactly at 4PM.
I went for a long test drive covering Thrissur-Calicut SH, Thrissur city roads and bye roads and NH byepass.

The car is well put together. Not a single rattle for a car which has run about 30K KMs. The music system was top notch. Ride was good and well socked all the road undulations well. There is a little bit of body roll (Iam currently driving a Swift Vdi). The steering is not as pointed as Swift.
The car is not slow by any means. The time taken to change gear is as same as a manual shift. But the RPM it selects to shift was not in my liking. In first and second it shifted above 2200 rpm. I usually up shift at about 1700rpm.
It should have a city/eco mode also were upshifting happens early. But in the current shifting, power was available wherever needed. If you need that extra punch, just push the accelerator, the gear drops down by one and the car surges ahead.
Overall I liked the performance of the car. But didn't fully liked the looks from the side. Seems the boot is not proportionately attached to the car. For me the Amaze looks better in the angle. The SA told that they have stopped production of XTA and now XMA comes with alloy wheels.

The MID showed 17.2kmpl for the trip. There are some 2015 models in their yard for which SA will offer good discounts. Didn't went into much financial details as my final decision will be taken only after 2 months.

Last edited by ontheroad : 17th April 2016 at 22:44.
ontheroad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 16:53   #2433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
It happened with me twice and took it to a Service Centre. They flashed the latest something by connecting to Harman system, changed the Air filter, Oil filter and Fuel filter and the problem has not occurred since then. I might have driven it for a good few hundred KMs so I'm pretty sure the problem got resolved.

How many Kms has your car done ? Just asking cause mine so far as done 19,000. Second service done a few months back. Guess a trip to the service station is must now.
Old 19th April 2016, 19:27   #2434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post
How many Kms has your car done ? Just asking cause mine so far as done 19,000. Second service done a few months back. Guess a trip to the service station is must now.
Not much really. Was out of India for about an year. I've only clocked ~4500 Kms so far.
Old 20th April 2016, 08:54   #2435
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone noticed a problem of sudden power loss in the Zest XT ? Iam just pointing out the XT cause that's the car i own. I have been observing this for the past 5-7 days. While driving (with AC on ) you suddenly lose power in the fourth and fifth gear. The car just sort of dies. I had to short shift to 3rd gear to get some power and move along.

One of my friend had a major problem which started in a similar manner, and ended with the fuel pump failing somewhere in the middle of a highway. Again he owns a Revotron as well.

I would like to know if some of you have experienced this, and if so, what might be causing it.

Regards,
Devyaani.

I'm facing this problem frequently. The Tata ASS are unable to rectify the problem 100%.

I experience loss of power when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear mostly. Pushing accelerator at such a time just has no response. Have to downshift.

And switching AC on makes things even worse. Along with loss of power I also experience jerks during gear shifts. Every time the service center says 'everything is fine' and send me away.

I recently flashed ECU software to RT8. Not that ECU updates solve the problem! I have done 2-3 updates already after I purchased the car.

Not sure what could be wrong? I have a Gold AMC too.
Old 25th April 2016, 00:38   #2436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
My problem continues and agonies piling up.

My heart is sinking and I don’t know how to get the problem resolved. This car is not in usable condition and Tata Motors is not knowing what to do. When they dont know what to do, they say everything is fine !

Can you guys help me ?
I have PMed you something. Hope it helps. Please do keep the thread updated.
If anything you can PM back.
All the best.
Old 25th April 2016, 09:22   #2437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Thanks for that info. I did ride at very low fuel this time and then have done a full tank. The issue is still present. More than low fuel, I have observed this to come up after I tank up and reset the trip meter. This time its still at 8.0 event after resetting it. Will be taking for the first service next week. I hope it is resolved
Hi Rajesh, did you get the 1st service done? Did the problem get sorted out?
I got my 1st service done at KHT Motors-Bangalore yesterday. Checked with the service personnel there about your problem. They say nobody has reported such a problem to them yet - they are clueless about what they'd do in case it happens.
Sorry mate, I could not find a solution to this problem. Hope your service guys could sort it out.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 10:28   #2438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Hi Rajesh, did you get the 1st service done? Did the problem get sorted out?
I got my 1st service done at KHT Motors-Bangalore yesterday. Checked with the service personnel there about your problem. They say nobody has reported such a problem to them yet - they are clueless about what they'd do in case it happens.
Sorry mate, I could not find a solution to this problem. Hope your service guys could sort it out.
Thanks for that. I will be going today. Will update
Old 28th April 2016, 18:35   #2439
BHPian

The touch screen display of my Zest music system was shut off using the 'Disp Off' button. However, I am not able to bring back the display. Any idea which is the button to bring back the display. This may be mentioned in the manual but will take some time for me to get my hands on the manual.
Old 29th April 2016, 00:08   #2440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdeva View Post
The touch screen display of my Zest music system was shut off using the 'Disp Off' button.
This is what I found in the infotainment manual which can be downloaded from http://service.tatamotors.com/content/owners-manual
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-img20160429wa0000.jpg  

damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 17:35   #2441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
This is what I found in the infotainment manual which can be downloaded from []
Thanks Damodar. I had tried this but somehow did not work. Anyway, the issue got resolved on its own. Started the car after couple of hours and the display came back.
Old 29th April 2016, 21:00   #2442
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

My Zest XT Revotron has now done almost 18K Kms. With a few niggles here and there ofcourse. Lately my mom who sits on the back seat, near to the fuel tank lid side, has complaint that she smells petrol ......

Regards,
Devyaani.

I had a similar problem in my WagonR and turned out to be a leak in the fuel pipe. The Pipe was replaced and the smell immediately went away.

The smell issue in the WagoneR was consistent before being sorted.

I have smelt petrol in my Zest as well but it has been only on a couple of occasions. If your's is consistent then do get it fixed.

Mileage update -
I completed 15K Kms on my XT RT in 1 year. It has been 85% city driving with the occasional highway run.
I have been getting 11kpl.
The car still heats up as it did earlier, I got 12+ kpl in winters so my assumption is that the engine would perform better with improved cooling.

Niggles -
1. My right indicator didn't autocorrect from day 1, i got it fixed, it worked but now it's back to the same issue.
2. Hand brake was not as powerful when I took delivery and found a lot of fellow owners complaining about the same, Again I got this fixed and it has resurfaced where the car doesn't hold on a slope, will be getting this fixed ASAP as this stops me from parking on slopes.

Ride -
Ride is as good as it was earlier. This is one thing that I am very happy about.

Queries

1. In case of emergency braking I feel this violent abarasive sound and feel on the brake pad, is it the ABS kicking in ?
2. Has anyone gone for ambient lighting? I want this bad but I am holding baack because of warranty.

-- Slick

Last edited by Slick : 29th April 2016 at 21:08.
Old 29th April 2016, 22:08   #2443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
In case of emergency braking I feel this violent abarasive sound and feel on the brake pad, is it the ABS kicking in ?
I have also felt this kat-kat kind of noise and some feel on the brake pedal (I assume you meant pedal instead of brake pads) during sudden braking. From my experience of RC390, I believe it is the ABS in action. However, I would have liked if the feedback on pedal was more smoother. As a respite though, the car holds its line under panic braking which is quite reassuring.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:01   #2444
BHPian

Owner of Zest XMS (Revotron) here. Bought in last week of February 2016 in Bengaluru. ODO stands at 1600 kms. So far very happy with the car & its performance.
I'm a newbie to car driving hence I drive sedately most of the time. Couldn't find the time to complete my initial ownership review. Just wanted to report the following:

During the 1st month of ownership I did 2 out-station trips. The details are below:

1. Bengaluru-Mysuru round trip

Overall distance covered: 340 kms
90% Eco + 10% City mode, 80% AC on
Fuel efficiency as per MID: 17.5 kmpl

Comments: 4-lane highway with divider but watch-out for taxi-drivers and other drivers with horrible road manners. One can't afford to relax and enjoy the drive in this road. You'll have to be vigilant every moment in this highway - else you'll be road-kill (We did witness an accident on the way back from Mysuru where a vehicle was thrown off the highway). Oh, also watch out for ridiculous speed-bumps and staggered speed barriers at many places.

2. Bengaluru-Lepakshi-Bengaluru trip

Overall distance covered: 285 kms
60% Eco + 40% City mode, 100% AC on
Fuel efficiency as per MID: 21.0 kmpl

Comments:
Plenty of Lepakshi trip threads already available in Team-BHP. Not much to add from my side. Roads are very good with sparse traffic particularly after BIAL toll. Perfect for a relaxed drive with family where you can enjoy the ride instead of worrying about reaching the destination in a canter. I was mostly doing 85kmph (5th gear @ 2000rpm). There was no intention to break FE records - given my limited highway driving experience, I did not feel confident of controlling the car above this speed. Was pleasantly surprised by the fuel efficiency shown by MID at the end of the trip.

Another trip on the Bengaluru-Mysuru highway NH275 (17th April):
Bengaluru-Doddamalur round trip

Overall distance covered: 160 kms
80% Eco + 20% City mode, 100% AC on
Fuel efficiency as per MID: 15.0 kmpl

Comments: Usual Bengaluru-Mysuru highway traffic with plenty of careless drivers. Bumper-to-bumper crawling traffic just before Wonderla (for about 30-40 minutes) due to an accident between a truck & a tempo traveller. Otherwise another eventless ride with Zest. The car handled all huge speed-bumps in & around Ramanagaram and Channapatna very well. My 80+ old grandma was in the rear seat - she was comfortable and gave a thumbs-up on the overall comfort and ride quality.

1st service of the car done on 24th April at K H T Motors, ITPL Road, Bangalore (ODO 1350kms). Fluids were checked and topped up. Car was also cleaned - both interiors and extriors to my satisfaction. Total cost = Rs.150 (for consumables; labor was free). Also told them to clean AC filter since chilling was not very effective until then.

Got underbody anti-rust coating done at 3M-Indiranagar, Bengaluru last Saturday (30th April). Total cost Rs.3996 (with 5-year warranty). Overall satisfied with the experience. Entire process took about 2 hours.

Bengaluru-Mulbagal-Bengaluru trip (1st May 2016)

Overall distance covered: 220 kms
100% City mode, 100% AC on
Fuel efficiency as per MID: 20.6 kmpl

Comments: Lazy Sunday morning drive for brunch with wifey and kid. Drove constantly around 80-90 kmph. Nice highway with plenty of straight stretches. AC was pretty effective this time around.

Fuel efficiency measured from tankful-to-tankful method:
1. 15.8 kmpl (mixed city & highway)
2. 11.6 kmpl (100% city driving)
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 11:39   #2445
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Here to provide a couple of updates. As mentioned in some of my earlier posts on this thread, two issues needed some attention.

1) Fuel Smell.
2) Sudden loss of power while driving.

Took the car to the service center. Regarding the fuel smell they said, there was a minor issue with the fuel lid which was sorted. So far so good on that front. Sudden loss of power, well nothing wrong with the fuel pump i was told, no one could actually explain what caused this. I was told there was a software update which was made. And the Air Filter was replaced.

So far no sudden power loss experienced after the changes were made. But i would still like to drive a bit before i provide a concrete update. There is still a bit of lag with the AC on.

Regards,
Devyaani.
devyaaniverma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks