Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2016, 10:40   #2581
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

I have got my RT XT after the third service at the end of two years of ownership. Told them not to do the wheel balancing. Ended up with a zero bill. They have changed the oil, assorted filters and the spark plugs. Gold AMC is paying off
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 16:03   #2582
BHPian

Don't know if it is a good news or bad for existing owners.
But for sure the best news for new CS aspirants.

Tata Zest scores 4 Starts in Global-NCAP
Old 21st November 2016, 16:48   #2583
BHPian

I am getting a Tak tak sound (intermittently) from near my front right wheel while driving, it comes on slight undulation on the road at slow speed. Any Idea what it might be?

I tried finding out by Pressing the suspension down at stand still, but am not able to reproduce it.

I initially thought it to be the axle but it is not specific to turning, it comes on straight roads as well.

Earlier the frequency was much less, now it come every 20-50 feet, have cut down driving and will take it to the A.S.S. shortly, anyone faced a similar issue in their cars, any brand ?

Last edited by Slick : 21st November 2016 at 16:50.
Old 21st November 2016, 21:19   #2584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I am getting a Tak tak sound (intermittently) from near my front right wheel while driving, it comes on slight undulation on the road at slow speed. Any Idea what it might be?

I tried finding out by Pressing the suspension down at stand still, but am not able to reproduce it.

I initially thought it to be the axle but it is not specific to turning, it comes on straight roads as well.

Earlier the frequency was much less, now it come every 20-50 feet, have cut down driving and will take it to the A.S.S. shortly, anyone faced a similar issue in their cars, any brand ?
Check the Suspension Link Rods. Either they are loose or worn out.
mrohit17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 10:43   #2585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post

I got this issue in my WagonR. While MASS diagnosed it as lower arm failure, my FNG told me that it is due to brake caliper pin failure. During the TD, he pressed the brakes to show that the noise was gone. I changed both, the pins and the lower arms and the sound is gone. Pins are very cheap while lower arm was slightly expensive, for my car.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 13:11   #2586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Check the Suspension Link Rods. Either they are loose or worn out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I got this issue in my WagonR. While MASS diagnosed it as lower arm failure, my FNG told me that it is due to brake caliper pin failure. During the TD, he pressed the brakes to show that the noise was gone. I changed both, the pins and the lower arms and the sound is gone. Pins are very cheap while lower arm was slightly expensive, for my car.
Thanks,
Will get it checked this weekend

- Slick
Old 29th November 2016, 09:18   #2587
BHPian

Hi all,
I have been facing an issue with misfiring in Zest. The problem is detailed below in the thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4098795

The verdict from Tata Motors is not to use E10 petrol with Zest. If anyone else have used E10 and faced any issues or nine, do update the thread above.

The service from Tata Motors has been really good. They were very professional. Kept the car for 2 days, gave me a loaner vehicle too and did a full diagnosis of the issue. The car feels better to drive now. They cleaned the fuel lines and tank, replaced spark plugs, replaced alternator bearing (that was for a noise while idling), fuel filter was replaced too. No part or labour was charged to me. Hope the issue is resolved.

Regards,
Arindam
arindam_xeta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 18:49   #2588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
I have got my RT XT after the third service at the end of two years of ownership. Told them not to do the wheel balancing. Ended up with a zero bill. They have changed the oil, assorted filters and the spark plugs. Gold AMC is paying off
Have they changed the Brake Fluid for you car? Manual says 2 years or 45k kms. Also check for the transaxle oil change.
Old 6th December 2016, 09:28   #2589
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this post on FB by Akhil Kashyap and hence sharing it here as it might help other owners.
Quote:
Hello all !! I would like to share an information which unfortunately I was not aware of and hence it wasted my time.
On my way to office today suddenly my Zest diesel XM model engine became off in middle of traffic. I tried to start it many times but it did not. Battery was good and fuel was there so finally I have to request some one to get car moved from middle of road. Called customer care they patched in a technical guy who said it would take him one hour at least to reach my location.

After he arrived he checked the battery which was fine and then he bend down and done something under drivers seat and voila my Zest was alive again. It baffled me and on enquiring he said fuel was cut off by a switch when there is sudden zerk.

May be some of you would be aware of this but god it's been 2 years and I never came across any information regarding it.

Here is the pic
Tata Zest : Official Review-15171277_10153928776142007_5320715525034510929_n.jpg
Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Was intrigued and read a little more and realized that this part is an Inertial Fuel Cut off Switch. Here is a cutaway view of the same.
Tata Zest : Official Review-0996b43f8021b90f.gif

How it works
Quote:
The Inertia Fuel Shutoff (IFS) switch-when an impact occurs, the ball breaks loose from the magnet and strikes the target plate which opens the electrical contacts
Source - http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...96b43f8037717d

The next time your Zest fails to crank after hard braking or a small accident, do reset the switch and then try again

Note: According to the FB post, this is located under the driver seat in the Zest. Owners do check and post a pic if possible.
procrj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 14:56   #2590
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar experience with my Storme but the engine did not cut off. I had stopped somewhere at a high way for some chai and during that time there was a strong gust of wind and the driver side door that was open, faced the wind and opened wider in a short span of time. all of a sudden, all the indicators started blinking and would just not go off. Since it was the highway and a Sunday too there was no help at hand. I just continued driving with many passers pointing to the indicators but I couldnt switch them off. Finally after reaching my destination, i posted this issue in the forum and immediately got a response to check the inertia switch ( which for the Storme is at the front passenger foot well ). Pressed it and all was sorted in a moment. Apparently that strong gust of wind, made some sensor beleive that I had possibly had a collision and hence the blinkers went on.

In your case, curious to know what happened just before the engine shut off ?
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 15:45   #2591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Our family took delivery of a Zest XT 1.2 Petrol car last week from Concorde Motors, Bombay, and boy, what a lovely car. We're blown over by the sheer space inside the car, the engine surprises one and all, most people cannot imagine that such a big vehicle with a 1.2L can go so fast.

Terrific music system, love the bluetooth pairing, voice commands, music quality, sound insulation, air conditioning, braking, and suspension.

Cons: None so far honestly, and we're very critical as a family, but this here is a winner so far.

Tata seems to be pulling out all the stops to make this a success and we simply love the experience so far. Will give you guys an update post a few thousand kms.
Update:

The Zest has been giving us intermittent issues on a regular basis. Most times, the engine check light comes on and the car goes into limp mode. Take it to the service center and they merely reset the ECU. The car works fine for a few weeks and then the problem recurs.

Last Saturday, the car suddenly stopped moving minutes after starting it. Engine was on and running, while the car would not go forward or in reverse. Had to tow the vehicle to the Tata ASS and the problem has been diagnosed as an Axle issue. They're working on fixing the issue currently and its expected to return home in a couple of days more.

However, these repeated niggles have destroyed our confidence in the car and we have decided to sell the car post repairs. Will move on to a more reliable brand.

TATA - Your products are not fit to be in production. Seriously, get out of the passenger car division.
Old 6th December 2016, 19:14   #2592
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

The Zest has been giving us intermittent issues on a regular basis. Most times, the engine check light comes on and the car goes into limp mode. Take it to the service center and they merely reset the ECU. The car works fine for a few weeks and then the problem recurs.
I have got the same issue as highlighted above! You may check my post there and see if it helps you

The problem is detailed below in the thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4098795
Old 7th December 2016, 15:21   #2593
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Sorry for posting here after a very long time. Have been very busy lately. Anyhow coming to the point quickly, just got my Zest XT serviced on Monday. This was the third free service. Although i have done only 24k so far, the 24 month period is over. Another reason for taking the car for servicing was a trip i have planned to Rajasthan this month.

Here's what was done as a part of free service:
  • Oil change, Filter change.
  • Coolant Change.
  • Brake Oil Change.
  • Checking Spark Plugs, and other essentials like Battery etc.
  • Wheel Balancing and Alignment.
Another very important point worth putting out here is that, while the service manager was taking my vehicle inside the workshop he mentioned that there was a squeaky sound coming from the clutch peddle while retracting after pressing each time. Personally i had not observed it, or may be i missed it while driving with the music on. I was told it was an issue with the clutch cable. That was replaced.

I took a test drive and found that the issue was taken care of. But today morning while driving i observed some squeaky sound again. I have been told to come to the service center again to get it checked. Iam hoping this is not a big problem.

Have any of you guys observed this? Any inputs will help. Other then that no issues with the car. Going well.

Regards,
Devyaani.
Old 7th December 2016, 16:24   #2594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post
Another very important point worth putting out here is that, while the service manager was taking my vehicle inside the workshop he mentioned that there was a squeaky sound coming from the clutch peddle while retracting after pressing each time. Personally i had not observed it, or may be i missed it while driving with the music on. I was told it was an issue with the clutch cable. That was replaced.

I took a test drive and found that the issue was taken care of. But today morning while driving i observed some squeaky sound again. I have been told to come to the service center again to get it checked. Iam hoping this is not a big problem. please.
Since you said that prior to servicing the car did you observe any symptoms of a weak clutch, like judder or slow pickup in lower gears? If the noise is present even after servicing then they might not have replaced the clutch, was it mentioned in the final bill? Which service center was this?
Old 7th December 2016, 16:51   #2595
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

Last Saturday, the car suddenly stopped moving minutes after starting it. Engine was on and running, while the car would not go forward or in reverse. Had to tow the vehicle to the Tata ASS and the problem has been diagnosed as an Axle issue. They're working on fixing the issue currently and its expected to return home in a couple of days more.

However, these repeated niggles have destroyed our confidence in the car and we have decided to sell the car post repairs. Will move on to a more reliable brand.

TATA - Your products are not fit to be in production. Seriously, get out of the passenger car division.
@Lalvaz :
(1) I think the service centre is not finding the root cause of limp home. Can you please specifically ask the technician which fault codes ( DTCs) are in ECU memory. The DTCs may be in the state "current" or "memorized". Based on this info, we can get idea of underlying fault.

(2) The second issue is related to dislocation or breakage of drive shaft. Did the wheel hit any pothole or big stone or something similar ?

Zest reliability is not a concern at all. So be a little persistent to get these niggles sorted.

Most Viewed