Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2017, 17:42   #2746
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
Hi,

3) He told me that the timing chain for the 90PS version is to be replaced at 60k kms and if I don't get it changed there will be trouble for my warranty. (Estimate of around 10-12k pre GST)
When I bought the car from Tuli Motors, I specifically asked them what is the recommended kms for the change of timing belt and I was told since Zest has a timing chain instead of a timing belt, it needs to be replaced at 90,000 kms.

What should I do?
Regarding, the timing chain, it is a fact that Tata Motors recommends change at 60,000Kms for the Fiat sourced 90PS Quadrajet engines. This is clearly stated in the service manuals. I had the kit replaced for my Manza QJet recently at the 60K km mark which in my case was reached towards the end of the 4th year. Manufacturers make such recommendations based on the wear and tear recorded by them during the extensive developmental testing. Usually they have good reasons for such recommendations and it is best to comply with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
However, Tata are offering an AMC covering 60 K and 75 K service for about Rs.14,500.00. Better to opt for that as the 60K service cost comes to about Rs.14K. With this AMC option, at about nearly the same amount, one would get 75K service for free.
I can confirm that Tata offers such AMCs. I took advantage of it during my 60K service and saved substantially on the timing chain replacement costs.
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 21:21   #2747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
I can confirm that Tata offers such AMCs. I took advantage of it during my 60K service and saved substantially on the timing chain replacement costs.
They do offer it. I availed it in the first week of July . Initially there was some confusion regarding the cost as the GST just kicked in.

I wonder what's the interval for the same for Swift and Ertiga???
Old 10th October 2017, 15:32   #2748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you can do that, that will be too helpful!
Also, if you can ask them whether the master cylinder and slave cylinder can be inspected as well?
The design of the timing chain in the Zest is such that it is a sealed unit with oil inside. Opening the unit to check the chain is not as simple as with engines having a timing belt. The options are to either get it changed now, or drive on for some more time. In case the chain snaps, then you will hear a sound, and cant drive any further.

Regarding the clutch - is there any oil leak below the clutch pedal ? Or at the base of the clutch pedal ( point where the rod/bar that supports the clutch pedal comes out) ? Basic checks are for oil leaks. and oil level in the cylinder.
I have experienced the same behaviour in my Sumo and had to replace the cylinders quite immediately after that. From what I remember, the first symptom was the pedal not returning. After that, I pumped the pedal to get home. Soon, the pedal just went straight in and didn't come back at all.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 16:08   #2749
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I went to the ASC on Friday for the 60k kms service as well as for addressing the clutch issue.......
3) He told me that the timing chain for the 90PS version is to be replaced at 60k kms and if I don't get it changed there will be trouble for my warranty. (Estimate of around 10-12k pre GST)

1) It is recommended by TATA for the 90 PS to change the timing chain at 60k kms and if I don't get it done now, there will be trouble in claiming warranty in case something goes wrong with the engine related to timing chain. I asked them if the timing chain can be inspected and checked whether it needs immediate replacement, they said it's not possible as everything is sealed. (I wonder how they can change it if everything is sealed)
When I bought the car from Tuli Motors, I specifically asked them what is the recommended kms for the change of timing belt and I was told since Zest has a timing chain instead of a timing belt, it needs to be replaced at 90,000 kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Reading your post made me realize that I too have not checked this aspect of servicing when buying the cars. Luckily for me so far, these changes have been at sufficiently long intervals. For your current situation, if you can wait till Wednesday, I can update you on whether the chain can be inspected or not. I am going for my 60k servicing, and will ask my SA & the supervisor who I know quite well.
I'm a bit confused. @parth.jain and @condor - kindly clarify something for me here.

Here are some screenshots from User manual of Zest.

For Diesel (Quadrajet)
Tata Zest : Official Review-diesel.png

For Petrol (Revotron)
Tata Zest : Official Review-petrol.png

Does this mean that the Diesel gets a timing chain and the petrol gets a timing belt?
Also, it mentions that for 90PS Diesel Frequency of replacing timing chain is 60,000kms. It does not mention the frequency for the 75PS tuned state of the Diesel (lower variants). Is it 90,000 kms?

What am I missing here?
Old 12th October 2017, 00:43   #2750
BHPian

Does anyone have any info on what is the latest version of firmware for the touch version of the Harman system. I'm getting issues with loss of audio from the system on calls and music. A reset of the system to factory settings does the trick but its very irritating doing this almost every other day.

I have been to a TASS and it seems there are dedicated guys for the Harman system who are not available always. A service advisor also told me that updates of firmware might be paid which to be honest sounds like naivety. Plan to visit again over the weekend and want to make sure that the advisors dont try to be smart regarding the latest version available. My Bolt XT RT is running just the way i wanted it to, if you discount the pretty bad city FE.

On a side note, has anyone with a Zest/Bolt checked out the Nexon. I found the seats to be better on the twins as well as much more space at the back. This is surprising considering that the Nexon is based on the same platform. The seats on the Zest/Bolt has much better cushioning.
Old 13th October 2017, 06:37   #2751
BHPian

Mod Note: We do NOT permit bumping up your own thread or query. Such posts are considered as SPAM.

We request your co-operation in maintaining the quality of our forum, and advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th October 2017 at 08:57.
Old 17th October 2017, 07:29   #2752
BHPian

Facing the same issue on my zest here. Frequency of having to reset the system seems to have increased.. wonder if the same has anything to do with the updates on my mobile (android / xiaomi ).
Have not paired it for a couple of days now and it seems to be working fine...
Pl let me know what the TASS / Harman guys have to say.

Last edited by umang dutt : 17th October 2017 at 07:31.
Old 23rd October 2017, 15:59   #2753
BHPian

I have a situation with my Zest -

I have 2015 XT RT, a month back while returning form work the "MIL(Malfunction Indication Lamp)" light came ON, The car lost power for a very short time, but then was OK. I parked the car and called my local mech, he asked me to drive home and contact Service Center.

I drove home as I was 2-3 KM from home and kept it parked till the weekend, On the Saturday I took it to Marigold TATA, Bhandup West. The light went off while driving to the service center.

They connected their diagnostic tool or Laptop to the ECU and then checked the Engine, the SA said it was that probably the sensors had collected moisture.
He cleaned the sensor and test drove the car, it seemed fine. I drove back home.
(I peeped in the laptop and saw "Cylinder Misfire" Error.)

I drive in heavy Powai traffic daily to & from work. I continued the routine and the car seemed fine until two weeks back when on my way back, much closer to my house I saw the "Check Engine" light come ON.

I again reached home and parked, This time I called Concorde Prabhadevi, as I prefer their work and trust them better, booked an appointment for the coming friday.

During the Diwali holidays I started the car and opened the bonnet to check if I can understand the issue, during this check
I realised that my Engine oil level was very low, When I started the car I could get Engine oil on the dipstick the moment I stopped and allowed it to settle the dipstick would return nothing .

The car is parked on a flat surface, there is no oil leakage at either my home parking or office parking, does it mean eigine oil is entering the combustion chamber and getting burnt?

What can be the reason of this ? Heavy traffic ? High revving ? Leaking Gasket?

- Slick
Old 23rd October 2017, 20:13   #2754
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review - Which Engine Oil?

Mods - Sorry to post consecutive posts but the above post was not available for edit. Also I am not sure if this query fits here or the Engine oil thread.

To top up my depleted engine oil I went ahead and bought Castrol Magnatec 5W30 (1700/- for 3.5 Litres) from a road side dealer.

After I bought it I did some basic research and realised the oil better suited to my climate (Mumbai , with max summer temperatures hitting 40*celcius) would be 20W40 /20W50, Yet TATA recommends 5W30 which is better suited to colder climates.

Any clarity on this would be much appreciated, Below is the reference of my information -
https://www.rymax-lubricants.com/blo...actually-mean/
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-engineoilchart.png  

Old 23rd October 2017, 23:54   #2755
BHPian

As per the manual, the 5w30 oil can be used in ambient temperatures from -35 to 40 degrees. But since in the plains of India the temperatures never goes below 0 degrees and crosses 40 degrees easily during summers, the best oil seems to be 20W40 or 20W50. But we can surely use all the oils listed in this image without any concern,
Attached Images

coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 17:01   #2756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I have a situation with my Zest -

I have 2015 XT RT, a month back while returning form ...

What can be the reason of this ? Heavy traffic ? High revving ? Leaking Gasket?

- Slick
It's most probably engine is consuming oil, in which case it is probably worn out piston rings in the least.

That ought to be the case if there is no oil leak.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 13:48   #2757
BHPian

Quote:
it is probably worn out piston rings in the least.
Thanks,
That is the worry that I have. Waiting for the appointment.

If that turns out to be the case, would it be addressed under warranty? since I got it serviced as per the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
But we can surely use all the oils listed in this image without any concern,
What about warranty? Wouldn't it void my extended warranty if I opt for an oil that is not prescribed in the manual?

has anyone here changed the grade of the oil? Are you finding an improvement in engine performance ?

-Slick

Last edited by Slick : 25th October 2017 at 13:53. Reason: added one more quote
Old 25th October 2017, 15:19   #2758
BHPian

Quote:
It's most probably engine is consuming oil, in which case it is probably worn out piston rings in the least.

That ought to be the case if there is no oil leak.
If engine oil is getting past the rings, wont that show up as more exhaust smoke (usually white smoke)?
Strangerintown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 15:57   #2759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
If engine oil is getting past the rings, wont that show up as more exhaust smoke (usually white smoke)?
It ought to show. Usually black smoke, but the extent depends on the consumption of oil, if that is the case.

Most probable causes are leakage or consumption due to worn out piston rings. If there are no signs of leakage, then it must be worn out piston rings or undue wear of cylinder wall.

Or, the workshop must have forgotten to fill the oil after they had drained the oil. In this case, the car wouldn't survive for many kilometres.
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 13:05   #2760
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review - Depleting Engine Oil

While sending the car to the service center (I had requested for a driver) I topped up the engine oil, I could fill in 2 litres of Engine oil

The car was very very loud when I started it without topping up the oil, I checked the level and then added oil. The moment I topped up the oil the whole personality of the engine changed and it became quiet and refined.

The issue, the S.A. mentioned was a leak near the oil filter, not sure how this came about to be but they have fixed it and sent the car back, I double checked if any piston/rings have been affected and the answer was no.

I drove the car and the engine is fairly quiet but I felt a slight dip in power delivery.

Will drive for a few days, monitor the oil level, and get back to them if I feel something amiss.

- Slick

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks