Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2019, 23:48   #2881
BANNED

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Today, at 35 kmph, I slammed on brakes and felt the ABS kick in. So, tyres are due for a change..
There is a much simpler way to understand if your tires are due for a change. There is an indicator in the tire grooves (something like a small block of rubber), if it is started to wear then it is time to change the tires. I know mostly Indians change their tires when they see the tire threads (the white ones) .
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 18:27   #2882
BHPian

Gave my Zest Petrol for service earlier this month (completed 3 years, ODO was about 28,300kms) at KHT Motors, Bangalore.

Jobs done: Engine oil change, Oil filter replaced, Transmission oil change, Air filter element changed, Engine flush, Brake oil topup, Brake system bleeding & cleaning of front brake discs & rear drums

Consumables/Parts costs = Rs.3438 inclusive of taxes
Labor costs = Rs.2773 inclusive of taxes

Total costs = Rs.6211 inclusive of taxes

I had asked them not to do cleaning, wheel alignment and balancing.

Happy with the service interval of 1 year/15000 kms. Jobs were done to my satisfaction and they allowed me to be present while they went about the service.

Happy with the car as well. No niggles, rattles or issues in 3 years of ownership.
srvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 18:48   #2883
BHPian

The long interval of 1 year /15k is such a relief in these days of high servicing costs. Unfortunately tata might have figured this and all the cars tata launched post the zest/bolt twins have a 6 month interval which helps the a*** make money.

Also the regular service costs of the zest/bolt twins are quite ow to be honest. Very satisfied with the car overall!!
coldice4u is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 21:39   #2884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
There is a much simpler way to understand if your tires are due for a change. There is an indicator in the tire grooves (something like a small block of rubber), if it is started to wear then it is time to change the tires. I know mostly Indians change their tires when they see the tire threads (the white ones) .
I know about tyre wear indicator. Thanks for reminding me because I lost count of tyres of my vehicles run really long kilometers, and I rely on visual confirmation and tyre noise and performance.

Never did I allow tread to worn out completely.
Old 8th March 2019, 16:52   #2885
BHPian

I have completed 60K and recently facing two issues:

1. Horn not working intermittently. This started around a month earlier. It was less frequent then (once in 2-3 days), but now it has become too frequent to be an irritant (3-4 times per hour in normal traffic).

2. Volume control on steering is not working. The track/channel change control is working although.

Any idea if these are easily repairable by the A.S.S. folks or would they mess up the entire steering. Also, any idea on costs?

I am planning to get it serviced (60K km scheduled service) in next week.
Old 11th March 2019, 11:31   #2886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_rider View Post
2. Volume control on steering is not working. The track/channel change control is working although.
My volume control button was working intermittently as well. TASS advised that they cleaned the buttons and it has been working fine ever since. In case thy decide to replace, the control units on the left and right had side of the steering can be replaced individually. If i recall, the left hand unit is bit more expensive than the right hand unit and costs approx Rs 1000.

Also has TATA stopped all versions of the Zest except the XE version ? The website just features the XE version under the variants section.
Old 11th March 2019, 13:36   #2887
BHPian

Got the 60K service done:
1. Horn Issue - The contact part beneath the horn pad changed - Rs 1200 (apprx)
2. Volume control on steering - Estimate given was of Rs 1250. I decided to let it be as it is because it is only a minor irritant.

Major expenditure was of timing chain replacement (Rs 4500 parts + Rs 4500 labour)

Any idea how much Maruti charges for timing chain replacement for the same engine?
low_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 15:18   #2888
BHPian

Quote:

Major expenditure was of timing chain replacement (Rs 4500 parts + Rs 4500 labour)

?
If i recall correctly, i paid a similar amount for my XMA's timing chain replacement in early 2017. I however, learnt something new that day. See below step by step:

a) My XMA completes 60k kms and is given for a service. I was told that timing chain needs to be replaced and the cost would be around 8-9k all inclusive.
b) I give a go-ahead as i was aware of this replacement interval on the 90 h.p DDiS engines
c) The work gets done and i get the car home. Happy ending!
d) Few months down the line and around the 75k kms mark, i hear a lot of timing chain noise. I take my car to the service centre.
e) The SA examines the car and tell me that the "timing gears" have gone kaput and needs replacement. The expense would be around 6k. Around 1.5k for the parts and remaining labour.
f) My jaws drop in surprise. I ask them that the whole thing was changed at 60k kms. On this he tells me that only the chain was replaced and not the complete assembly.
g) I yell at him saying that when the timing chain was replaced, i should have been informed that only the chain is being replaced and not the gears. I would have given a go-ahead to replace the gears at the same time. That would have saved me the labour charge that i need to incur again. Dead silence!

Now, what i learnt:

Before this, i was always under the impression that both the chain and gears are replaced simultaneously as both of them wear with time. It is only because of this assumption, i did not question them on the gear replacement during the 60k kms service

I know this is a bit off-topic, but could not resist myself from sharing after reading your post. I still dont know if my assumption was right or wrong but i felt cheated that day!

Last edited by tarik.arora : 11th March 2019 at 15:20.
tarik.arora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 15:18   #2889
BHPian

Quote:

Any idea how much Maruti charges for timing chain replacement for the same engine?
I also did my 60k servicing for the diesel, but took the AMC. So costed me 14500/-. But again the oil and sealent for the timing chain were charged extra.
Old 15th March 2019, 13:37   #2890
BHPian

I have an XT petrol from Nov 2014 and completed 39000 Kms. 4th service was done in December 2018. I am facing the following issues since last week:-
1) The Engine turns off while I press the clutch for changing gears. This happens during a cold start for around 4-5 kms and then does not happen during the journey. Repeats itself the next morning
2) There is a noise from the Front left suspension(heard inside the cabin, mild sound-something like dubb-dubb-dubb) when I go over a pothole.[/b] No sound otherwise. Nothing from the Front Right suspension either.

I will be taking the car to the service station very soon. Anybody faced these issues in Zest?
Old 18th March 2019, 18:52   #2891

I have a 2014 Zest XT petrol. The front right tweeter has stopped working. Anyone else faced a similar issue?
Old 22nd March 2019, 18:12   #2892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankverma View Post
2) There is a noise from the Front left suspension(heard inside the cabin, mild sound-something like dubb-dubb-dubb) when I go over a pothole.[/b] No sound otherwise. Nothing from the Front Right suspension either.

I will be taking the car to the service station very soon. Anybody faced these issues in Zest?
Hello, I am also facing a similar issue with noise coming from the front suspension. Very much the same as you described.
Did you manage to get it examined? What was the diagnosis.
Old 25th March 2019, 09:26   #2893
BHPian

Guys my brother owns Zest Diesel XT and he clocked 36k on odor.
Lately he started complaining about sounds coming from front suspension while riding over uneven or bumpy roads. Took to two different service centres and they said could not locate the problem and confirmed suspension is fine.
We then went Malik Service center (Tata) and they came up with surprising and shocking revelation :-
Suspension is fine and no problems with it.
But there is some kind of play on rack and pinion join of steering which is causing that sound.
This will not cause any fatal accident but that sound will continue.
Cost to replace that set would be Rs16500.
But it's too early to get this kind of problem for those Kms clocked.
Old 25th March 2019, 19:13   #2894
BHPian

I own XT RT and have clocked about 36K. I am getting the noise similar to loose pedals or some pipe being loose. This is especially at low speeds when the accelerator is pressed. The TATA SC has not been able to identify the issue. Will be taking it to a local SC to get it checked. There is no issue with ride or performance but this occasional noise at low speeds is irritating.
Old 3rd April 2019, 09:09   #2895
BHPian

ODO crossed 30,000kms last Sunday (31st March) on my Zest-XMS Revotron.
I was on my way to Madhus for Balancing & Alignment at Langford Road. Got Balancing done on the Hunter RoadForce. There was slight pull to the right before alignment. That is now sorted out.

Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20190331_084535034.jpg

So far the ownership has been hassle-free. Except for one instance of malfunctioning fuel-pump near Nagarhole National Park (details here (A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir)).

In the past, I had couple of T-BHP stickers on my bumper and boot.

Tata Zest : Official Review-1234.jpg

However, my car was rear-ended on 26th Jan 2018 by a rashly driven Zen on Nelamangala toll road (details here).
I claimed insurance and my bumper and boot lid were replaced. So, the stickers were also gone along with rear parking sensors.
Last Sunday, my 9-year old daughter tells me that she liked those TBHP stickers, particularly the 'I Drive Safe' one. She asked me if we could get another set pasted again. I was like , another BHPian in the making.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed