Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2019, 15:18   #2926
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering View Post
Dear All,
1. Would you recommend as used car? I would like to use for atleast another 6 to 7 years.
2. I have not found anything online less than 50000 kms on odo. Is it advisable to buy XT diesel with 90000 km on odo as used one? What expenditure should i expect?
3. By reading the forum, efficiency is not bad for petrol version. I may buy petrol as well if everything else matches. Is this engine used in any other model or will it be stopped sooner or later?

Thanks for any advice.
I have bought a used Zest XMS Qjd 90. It's been 8 months and about 16k kms with the current odo at 76k kms.

1) I can happily recommend a used Zest purchase provided you are okay with the following niggles-
a) Dashboard and door squeaking occassionally.
b) Occasional issues with electricals like headlamp/indicator bulbs.
c) Occasional reboot issues with Infotainment system.
d) Poor clutch pressure plate quality used in Qjd 90(I think this is an issue in all the vehicles with fiat gearbox).

2) I would recommend the XM 75ps version over the 90ps version, as it is sold more in number when compared to the XMS/XT. Some spares like fuel filter for 75ps are available at the spare parts shop at the remotest of places.

3) Strict No-no to petrol. The diesel versions have been running long enough to prove themselves. Courtesy, many Uber cab Zest's have a good 1.5-2 Lakh km's under their belt, and still are comfortable to travel albeit with a little bit of rattling and squeaking.

P.S. : But, I would still suggest a used Ford Aspire Tdci(considering it has similar poor resale à la the Zest) as I feel the Aspire is better built to last especially w.r.t the quality of interior plastics. The car overall is way more engaging to drive as well.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 30th August 2019 at 15:22.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 13:22   #2927

Thanks to both of you. Somehow my previous reply is not yet published. I used one OLX link to show what i have found. Perhaps that could be the reason.

I will look for Bolt as well which has 75 PS in XT variant. But i have not found much online.

Ford is on my priority list for my personal use. I shortlisted freestyle. But that is another story.

I update as soon as i find one.
Old 8th September 2019, 08:55   #2928
BHPian

Hi Mate,
I would strongly recommend to go for Bolt Diesel as its Awesome in driverability better than Zest. Sometimes I drive my brothers car Zest top end and I'm happy I got Bolt as I feel whole car moves in one piece, the suspension, (Iam using Roger ab, since top end suspension tuning is bit stiff and Roger smoothend it.) Also I felt seat designed in Bolt are more comfortable and Bolt is wide, so more space. My parents too confirmed there is good comfort in Bolt during long drives than Zest.

On highways, Bolt is a gem in terms of stability.

Go for test drive on both Bolt and Ford to confirm which one appeals most to you.
Old 9th September 2019, 00:18   #2929

I own a Bolt Petrol XT. Running great so far other than the usual issues with premature tyre wear out that seems to bedevil all tata vehicles. At the time I bought it, was torn between going in for a diesel or petrol since it was replacing my Indica diesel that I had run for 10 years and could probably have run for another 10 had the diesel ban not kicked in. Now, am relieved that I went in for petrol after reading that BS-VI diesel could screw up BS-IV diesel engines...https://m.timesofindia.com/business/...w/70877557.cms
Old 9th September 2019, 10:11   #2930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Naveen View Post
Also I felt seat designed in Bolt are more comfortable and Bolt is wide, so more space. My parents too confirmed there is good comfort in Bolt during long drives than Zest.
On highways, Bolt is a gem in terms of stability.
Go for test drive on both Bolt and Ford to confirm which one appeals most to you.
The seats in Bolt & Zest would be of the same dimensions. There is no difference in the body & chassis other than slightly longer wheelbase & boot. The biggest missing bit in the Bolt is storage space. I had the Bolt's previous generation (Vista) for 9 years. The only grime was seriously small boot - which is even smaller in the Bolt compared to Vista. Zest gives a very useful boot that actually complements long drives and vacations very well.

If I were shopping - I'd pick the Zest over the Bolt for its good boot space & DRLs. Rest of the car is pretty much identical per se. So depends on whether one wants the boot space or not.
Old 18th September 2019, 21:40   #2931
BHPian

My 5 year/82000km Zest D, regularly serviced, tyres changed at 75k km has dropped mileage from around 20-21km/l to 16-17km/l over the last 1500-2000km. Almost all the variables like the driver, routes taken etc being a constant, any idea what the cause could be for this sudden, abrupt drop in mileage? There's no warning lights flashing on the MID either. I am not that knowledgeable regarding cars and would be grateful for the members' opinion.

Last edited by mobydick1983 : 18th September 2019 at 21:56.
Old 19th September 2019, 08:55   #2932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobydick1983 View Post
My 5 year/82000km Zest D, regularly serviced, tyres changed at 75k km has dropped mileage from around 20-21km/l to 16-17km/l over the last 1500-2000km. Almost all the variables like the driver, routes taken etc being a constant, any idea what the cause could be for this sudden, abrupt drop in mileage? There's no warning lights flashing on the MID either. I am not that knowledgeable regarding cars and would be grateful for the members' opinion.
First thing that sticks out is the change of tyres. Since the mileage figures started to take nose dive only after that tyre change.

So obviously I would first check the tyres for any faint leak. There could be fitting issues, which may result in slow leaking via side wall (tyre - rim joining place)

Make sure to check your tyre pressure regularly & may be switch the Air Checking place to see if error in their machine or meter is under inflating the tyre.

Once you are sure that it's not under inflated tyres, you can move up to next candidate, Air Filter & so on.

Thanks.
Old 19th September 2019, 09:30   #2933
BHPian

Can the back of the naked boot lid be covered with something genuine to make it look better? It looks ugly and gives a perception of cost cutting throughout the car.

Pic taken from the review for reference purpose.
Attached Images

Old 11th November 2019, 17:42   #2934
Senior - BHPian

Touched 1,00,000 km mark yesterday.

Tyres are still OEM, but may require change by the next scheduled service at 1,05,000 km.

Clutch plate too needs to be changed.

Car held pretty well. Not that I am a rough user but I didn't face too many niggles. Only persistent niggle was the front left indicator.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20191110_081419.jpg  

simplyself is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 13:55   #2935
BHPian

I am considering buying a new XTA, as they are offering a flat discount of 2 lakh. Problem is that they don't have a test drive vehicle for automatic. Should I test the manual version? Will the AMT throw any surprises?

I want a diesel automatic only, so aspire is out. Amaze is expensive.

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 18th November 2019 at 13:56.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 14:08   #2936
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
I am considering buying a new XTA, as they are offering a flat discount of 2 lakh. Problem is that they don't have a test drive vehicle for automatic. Should I test the manual version? Will the AMT throw any surprises?
I'm assuming you know how AMT behaves & its pros and cons. If not - you can pretty much take a TD of ANY AMT car just to get a feel of how AMT behaves. You can expect the same in Zest afterwards.

With that in mind - you can very much TD a manual XT diesel. AMT works quite well in the Zest. With the 2L discount - the Zest XTA is a steal deal. Its a solid built car (certified 4 star), good space & quality of interiors too.
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 14:43   #2937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'm assuming you know how AMT behaves & its pros and cons. If not - you can pretty much take a TD of ANY AMT car just to get a feel of how AMT behaves. You can expect the same in Zest afterwards.
Yes, I have test-driven Brezza and Nexon AMT.

I was mainly considering used cars, but with this offer, XTA comes to about 9 lakh on road. I think Zest XTA provides a great combination of space, safety, ride quality (suspension is I think best among compact sedans) and FE. Only con is that interior and exterior aren't very premium, which is fine for me.
Old 18th November 2019, 14:51   #2938
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I have test-driven Brezza and Nexon AMT.
Then its okay. Brezza AMT comes quite close on engine (same!) & body weight. So AMT performance would be comparable too. Should be good enough.
Quote:
I was mainly considering used cars, but with this offer, XTA comes to about 9 lakh on road. I think Zest XTA provides a great combination of space, safety, ride quality (suspension is I think best among compact sedans) and FE. Only con is that interior and exterior aren't very premium, which is fine for me.
Yes - XTA for 9L like I said - is steal! I wonder why its not being advertised much. There will be takers for it. Just one point - you have to be 100% sure that you won't be nervous driving a car who's engine will be discontinued from assembly line in April'20. Spares will be available for eternity really. Every other car on the road is powered by the 1.3 MJD! I wouldn't be nervous when buying it. Just be sure you won't be too & then sign the cheque.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 16:11   #2939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Yes - XTA for 9L like I said - is steal! I wonder why its not being advertised much. There will be takers for it. Just one point - you have to be 100% sure that you won't be nervous driving a car who's engine will be discontinued from assembly line in April'20. Spares will be available for eternity really. Every other car on the road is powered by the 1.3 MJD! I wouldn't be nervous when buying it. Just be sure you won't be too & then sign the cheque.
Leave alone more advertising, they are making me run pillar to post to get a single test drive!

I have no problems with the engine discontinuation. Thanks for your help.
Old 18th November 2019, 19:51   #2940
BHPian

I might be wrong here but doesn't zest have an older AMT unit compared to what Brezza has? Can anyone confirm?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks