Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2022, 18:14   #3091
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdman View Post
I own a Zest Revotron and realised the car losing throttle during a recent roadtrip on hilly roads. Although, I could feel the car not delivering any power but everything else i.e. steering, music, etc, working normally. This happened for a brief while for 2-3 times on the way back home.

Any idea why this could be? The car works fine now but I have noticed this earlier on few occasions. Has anyone else faced a similar issue with Zest Petrol?
"Losing throttle" is a rather broadly specified symptom. It might garner more responses if you give a bit more details. Was there a sort of jerky power delivery? On-Off bursts? Or you felt the power being low continuously for a while? The car was not delivering any power you mentioned - I hope it was suddenly bogged down, but was still able to drive around?

Did the check-engine-light turn ON during this or is it currently ON? It might be worth starting with simple investigation like air-filter & fuel pump check and replacement. On the other side of the spectrum - are costlier issues related with the turbo charger / associated plumbing (air leaks) and EGR valve clogging. (I don't know how the EGR setup is done in the original 1.2T Revotron of the Zest).

If it was intermittent jerky power delivery - it might have its roots in fuel pump as well. Was it happening only on the hill climbs? Or happens anywhere? What was your fuel level when it happened?
Old 23rd April 2022, 02:12   #3092

Quote:
I own a Zest Revotron and realised the car losing throttle during a recent roadtrip on hilly roads. Although, I could feel the car not delivering any power but everything else i.e. steering, music, etc, working normally. This happened for a brief while for 2-3 times on the way back home.
I had exactly the same issue with my Tata Bolt on a hill trip way back in 2015 when it was brand new. Used to happen only when driving uphill, from what I remember. Took it to the service station when i returned but they were unable to diagnose the problem. Said they couldn't do much unless it manifested itself again. Haven't taken it to the hills since then and it has never occurred again in the plains
Old 24th April 2022, 08:43   #3093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
"Losing throttle" is a rather broadly specified symptom. Was there a sort of jerky power delivery? On-Off bursts? Or you felt the power being low continuously for a while? The car was not delivering any power you mentioned - I hope it was suddenly bogged down, but was still able to drive around?

Did the check-engine-light turn ON during this or is it currently ON? It might be worth starting with simple investigation like air-filter & fuel pump check and replacement. On the other side of the spectrum - are costlier issues related with the turbo charger / associated plumbing (air leaks) and EGR valve clogging. (I don't know how the EGR setup is done in the original 1.2T Revotron of the Zest).

If it was intermittent jerky power delivery - it might have its roots in fuel pump as well. Was it happening only on the hill climbs? Or happens anywhere? What was your fuel level when it happened?
Hi Reinhard, thanks for your message. I don't remember seeing the check engine light on at that moment, it would have surely gathered my attention. It was more of on-off bursts rather than a jerky delivery, the power felt absent for this time and it was back to normal afterwards, like nothing happened. In fact, by the end of it the car felt perfectly normal to drive.

What do you suggest I should do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherisam View Post
I had exactly the same issue with my Tata Bolt on a hill trip way back in 2015 when it was brand new. Used to happen only when driving uphill, from what I remember. Took it to the service station when i returned but they were unable to diagnose the problem. Said they couldn't do much unless it manifested itself again. Haven't taken it to the hills since then and it has never occurred again in the plains
Hi cherisam, I heard a similar story from a friend of mine who took his dad's Zest Revotron to Shillong from Tezpur. Might be possible to have this as a manufacturing issue on this version of Revotron. This had happened previously on my 2020 Bangalore-Mumbai roadtrip, the car was perfectly fine for ~2500 odd KMs except a few sections on the ghats. Like you said, I too don't notice it now in day to day drive on planes.

However, what felt different this time was the issue didn't emerge while going uphill, when I expected it, but happened after I had descended the hills on my way back to Bangalore. Now, since this terrain isn't exactly plains but a plateau there must have been a climb but definitely not as much as where I was coming from. In fact, I remember having to climb almost 60 degrees in reverse and the car did pretty well. So, I am not sure whether this a manufacturing defect or something needing to be fixed.

Last edited by hdman : 24th April 2022 at 08:54.
Old 25th April 2022, 10:25   #3094
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Tyre upsize

Zest XT 4yr old - 90k done till date. Need to change the tyres (OEM B250).

Thinking of Yokohoma or B290 185/65/R15 (original 185/60/R15). Any feedback on this upsize?
skumare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 10:14   #3095
BHPian

Quote:

Any idea why this could be? The car works fine now but I have noticed this earlier on few occasions. Has anyone else faced a similar issue with Zest Petrol?
I faced a similar issue a few years back in Manza Quadrajet. Pressing the accelerator pedal didn't increase the RPM at all. It was diagnosed to a dirty MAF Sensor. After having cleaned, it, the car was back to normal. Try cleaning the MAF Sensor.

This DIY thread should help.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...-rs-120-a.html (DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120)

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 10:20   #3096
Senior - BHPian

My Zest's AC control switch went kaput. Though AC is working fine, the blower speed switch came loose and one has to press it to make blower work. I contacted an AC mechanic. He advised me to change the entire unit. I tried but couldn't find the unit even at Tata Dealer's service centre. I then used fevikwik to fix it in place at 2. That was in September and the AC was more than adequate all these days. Now, I am facing problem because at 2 speed the AC is enough only for a single person.

Couldn't find the part even now.
Old 18th May 2022, 13:01   #3097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
My Zest's AC control switch went kaput. Though AC is working fine, the blower speed switch came loose and one has to press it to make blower work. I contacted an AC mechanic. He advised me to change the entire unit. I tried but couldn't find the unit even at Tata Dealer's service centre. I then used fevikwik to fix it in place at 2. That was in September and the AC was more than adequate all these days. Now, I am facing problem because at 2 speed the AC is enough only for a single person.

Couldn't find the part even now.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-cont..._vfl-37464781/

Please check this link.
The great thing about Tata cars is that Boodmo has a very good catalogue of parts for almost all models.
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 16:39   #3098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Did you get it rectified eventually?
Not able to answer rest of your questions but this could also be a wiring harness issue. If there is a resistance change, your temperature input (into ECU, on odo) could read higher than usual. In summer it wouldn’t matter much, but during winter yes it will show the symptoms that you face. The error could read as a plausibility error(eng temp too high as compared to other temp). Also check the sensor if it is the one recommended for the zest, check the connector for resoldering etc.
Am interested to know if there was any reason if you have resolved the issue. Thanks!
Hi. Sorry for the very late reply!
No i have not been able to mitigate it nor do I expect TASS to have the level of expertise required to further diagnose this.
What i have been able to do however is decrease the days during when this issue is experienced in NCR winters. Since the issue comes up only during winters and especially when driven at higher speeds, i came to the conclusion that this is directly related to wind chill at higher speeds. I placed a layer of thick rubber sheet infront of the ECU and this has helped a lot wuth the issue occurring only during the coldest days.
I also brought an OBD adapter and monitored the coolant temperature and noticed that it dropped to as low as 45C due to cooling fans turning on. I just pulled out the fuses for the fans to prevent them from running on the absolute cold days . I keep monitoring the OBD temperature. The arrangement worked fine last winter !
Old 21st May 2022, 18:40   #3099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post

Please check this link.
The great thing about Tata cars is that Boodmo has a very good catalogue of parts for almost all models.
Thanks for the suggestion. I placed the order.
Old 29th May 2022, 08:18   #3100
BHPian

My Zest Revotron crossed 60,000 kms few days ago.
It's been little over 6 years of peaceful ownership experience.
The milestone was reached during our Bangalore- BR Hills - Masinagudi - Chennai trip.

Some photos for posterity:

Odo at 60,000kms near Tindivanam
Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20220525_212426.jpg

At a resort in Masinagudi
Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20220525_060519.jpg

Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20220525_060422.jpg

At Mayura Hotel, Biligiriranga Hills
Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20220523_112241.jpg

At KGudi Wilderness Camp
Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20220523_090132.jpg
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 12:53   #3101
BHPian

Hi Guys, I found one strange object behind driver's seat in back passenger footwell. Please check the pictures below.

It has heavy spring with piston like structure of plastic. 4.5 inch in size.
Seat adjustments are working fine, did not notice anything strange.

Drove last night, haven't driven today.

Its Diesel XTA, 38k KM run
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-20220530_085630.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-20220530_085653.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-20220530_085710.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-20220530_085722.jpg  

Old 30th May 2022, 12:58   #3102
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Tyre upsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Zest XT 4yr old - 90k done till date. Need to change the tyres (OEM B250).

Thinking of Yokohoma or B290 185/65/R15 (original 185/60/R15). Any feedback on this upsize?
Have you done it? If not, try 195/60R15. It has best of both worlds. The width gives you better grip, the side profile gives you a comfortable ride.

You can try MRF perfinza. It has good reviews on the forum. Soft rubber with good side wall strength.

But if you want the tyres to last longer, skip the soft rubbers. You can go for yokohama Earth1. These are made for Indian roads. They are reasonably priced and performs well, and lasts long.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 18:55   #3103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
Hi Guys, I found one strange object behind driver's seat in back passenger footwell.
Got it, It's part of height adjustment mechanism.
More details here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5327068 (Strange mechanical object in my car got dislodged | Help me identify it)
KumarS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 00:25   #3104
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, a good friend is looking for a Zest XMA / XTA diesel. Prefer KA / South India. Or even Delhi. Other locations - would need help with checking the vehicle.

If any, please share. Thanks !
Old 3rd June 2022, 13:20   #3105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post

Please check this link.
The part was delivered last week and was fitted. Working fine. Relieved to find the AC working at full blast.

Thanks again
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed