Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2022, 11:08   #3106
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Facing the following issue regarding the Zest 90 BHP QJet-

1. Low End pickup is quite bad. Engine takes a while to reach 2500 rpm post which the turbo kicks in and things get better. If the RPMs drop below 2500 in any gear, subsequent acceleration is lethargic. This is especially bad in ghat regions or with a full load of passengers and I have to downshift to 1st or 2nd to get any meaningful acceleration out of the vehicle.

2. At constant throttle inputs on the highway, the car doesn't maintain a constant RPM. There are quite obvious fluctuations in rpm like the car is momentarily gasping for breath.

3. Mileage I'm getting as per the MID is 15 kmpl in the city and 18 on the highways with a full load of passemgers. I feel this is a tad bit on the lower side and is a result of the constant downshifts I have to do because of #1.

I got the vehicle recently serviced with oil/diesel and air filters, engine oil, coolant etc. replaced at a FNG in Wakad (Pune).

During service, water was found in the diesel filter and hence it was replaced. Issues #1 and #2 haven't been solved though.

The FNG further recommends an EGR clean and maybe a look at the MAP sensor.

Car in question is a 2015 model with only 54xxx km on the odo which I recently purchased used. The issue is not with the clutch as reconfirmed by my FNG.

Has anyone using the diesel Zest (or any of the 90 PS VGT Multijets for that matter) experienced the above symptoms? Will an EGR clean solve these problems?

Also, how much of a hit to the wallet am I looking for should the EGR clean up be done at the TATA ASC vs an FNG?

Finally, it would be helpful if someone could suggest where in/around Pimpri I should get the vehicle looked at.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th August 2022 at 11:09. Reason: As per your PM :)
AlQuazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 14:56   #3107

Zesty dilemma

Hi all,

I am in a dilemma that I would like to clear with the help of respected forum members.

I own a Tata Zest 2015 diesel which has done around 70k km up until now, the car is in excellent mechanical condition though the same cannot be said about some electrical components ( steering controls & headlights have started to show their age now) & exterior.

Recently, when I went to the TASS in Lucknow to get the timing belt changed & an ECU update too because of gruff engine & very low average, the SA told me that since the model is long out of production company has stopped sending updates & if we do it there is a chance of frying up the ECU. Kindly, throw some light whether this is true or not because I highly doubt that its true.

Secondly, I am thinking of selling it now, what would be the appropriate price to ask for, its a 2015 XM model in white colour.

Thanks a lot.
shashwat7548 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 15:11   #3108
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
Hi Guys, I found one strange object behind driver's seat in back passenger footwell. Please check the pictures below.
Thanks to Projnesh Biswas for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

The part is called the compression spring for the seat.

Details of the parts can be found here:
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-assy...seat-33011579/
Part number: 287191010140

If you wish to search on Boodmo, use the term “Tiago” instead of “Zest”.

It's a DIY job. I have done it recently.

Hope this helps.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 23:09   #3109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thanks to Projnesh Biswas for sending this information in.

The part is called the compression spring for the seat.

Details of the parts can be found here:
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-assy...seat-33011579/
Part number: 287191010140

If you wish to search on Boodmo, use the term “Tiago” instead of “Zest”.
Thank you very much, Mr. Projnesh and Aditya for finding this part.

As per a few discussions at service centres here in Bangalore, seat base replacement was the only option. Even Zest's OEM catalogue does not mention this part separately.

I will order this and will see if I can unbolt the seat at home, otherwise I will get the help of FNG.

In another event, a horse jumped on my car outside Gol Gumbaz, Bijapur and broke my left rear view mirror. The plastic mount was broken, but the whole mirror and casing were intact. I had to remove the mirror from its dangling position and drive to Bangalore.

The body shop manager at Tata ASC estimated 8K but the actual price of the whole unit was Rs 2200. They charged 650 for the simple task of mounting the mirror on the door.*
I could have done it myself or fixed it at an outside garage for 100 rupees, but I wanted to get the mirror fixed there itself as it was very difficult to drive without one.

Body color cowl of old mirror was useful as new mirror came with black cowl.
I have the old mirror lying around, every thing works except the plastic mounting
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-20220820_144316.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-20220820_151342.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-20220820_144328.jpg  

Old 30th September 2022, 23:59   #3110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK79 View Post
Is your battery due for a change? I had this problem occasionally for some time, It started with audio system switching off and on while cranking (ideally it should not switch off while cranking). This went on for few months,and later while switching on it was mute some times. Switching off the car for 10-15 min and restarting would solve the issue. Then one fine morning, power steering was not working. Shown at TASS, and they replaced the battery.Since then all issues were solved. I have opted for a higher AH battery
For me, navigation doens't work for 2 years now, and if USB drive is plugged in, it hangs and except answering calls nothing else works. No buttons on the ICE works. When i pull out USB drive and Micro SD card, it suddenly starts working and keeps working even if i re-insert both of them till i switch off for a few hours. No issues if USB drive was not connected when starting up.
Then cycle repeats. It took me some time to understand and work around. The battery is now 4 years old. Amaron battery
Old 16th October 2022, 18:35   #3111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlQuazi View Post
Has anyone using the diesel Zest (or any of the 90 PS VGT Multijets for that matter) experienced the above symptoms? Will an EGR clean solve these problems?
1. Check the wastegate vacuum solenoid mostly it would be working intermittently. Also check its plumbing and vacuum tank.
2. Clean the EGR, Intercooler, check all the hose pipes connecting to the air intake.

If the vacuum solenoid is gone it can replaced with Ertiga's (direct fit & half price).
varun560061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 18:49   #3112
BHPian

Re: Zesty dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashwat7548 View Post
Secondly, I am thinking of selling it now, what would be the appropriate price to ask for, its a 2015 XM model in white colour.
Thanks a lot.
I recently bought a 2015 XM Quadrajet via dealer which had run just 50k on the odo. Cost me 4L with transfer.

OLX throws anywhere between 3.5 to 4.5L for this model.

Cars24 will quote you a measly 3L.

Hope this helps.
Old 13th March 2023, 12:16   #3113
BHPian

Hi guys, I own a 2014, Petrol XTA Zest.
Wanted to know what is the fuel efficiency you guys get. Real world and indicated by the MID. I get a anything close to 9-10 kmpl on the MID in Mumbai city traffic with a very light foot. I've felt it is quite close in real life when measured using the tankful method. It might go to 11 kmpl when driven sanely on Western Express highway.

A friend's Baleno easily manages to get around 15 with a heavy foot in city traffic.

I've managed to achieve max 15-16kmpl on long highway trips where the traffic is sparse and a constant speed is manageable.

I've thought this is attributed with the heavy weight of Zest and also fuel efficiency not being one of the USP of the revotron engine, but lately I've started to feel this is very much on the lower end even when compared to cars with more powerful engines. Any guidance would be really helpful
Old 17th March 2023, 13:01   #3114

Hi, I'm having a diesel zest (90ps) with 136000+ kms on odo. There has been small issues with it which was promptly addressed by TASC. But now a problem has started which was 1st noticed around 2019 and now it has reappeared and fails to go.
The issue is that, the steering suddenly becomes very heavy as if the power assist is not working during driving. The only sign associated with this incident is the ABS sign pops up on the console in amber color. Earlier went to TASC many times with this issue and they diagnosed it as faulty relay and changed it as per them. Afterwards the problem doesn't come up for sometime. Usually an engine restart resets the issue. But for the past 1 month this does not go off upon restart but occasionally goes off while turning the steering fully towards left. No issues with brakes also. Anyone having similar issues or any idea what might be at fault. The steering is very heavy now.
Old 17th March 2023, 14:24   #3115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro_doc View Post
Hi, I'm having a diesel zest (90ps) with 136000+ kms on odo. There has been small issues with it which was promptly addressed by TASC. But now a problem has started which was 1st noticed around 2019 and now it has reappeared and fails to go.
The issue is that, the steering suddenly becomes very heavy as if the power assist is not working during driving. The only sign associated with this incident is the ABS sign pops up.
Have you got the battery checked? This has been reported several times in the forum as a possible low/weak battery issue. I have faced the same issie on my Petrol Bolt
Old 17th March 2023, 16:49   #3116

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Have you got the battery checked? This has been reported several times in the forum as a possible low/weak battery issue. I have faced the same issie on my Petrol Bolt
Battery has been changed 4 months back. Any other possibilities
Old 18th March 2023, 07:35   #3117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh_66328 View Post
Hi guys, I own a 2014, Petrol XTA Zest.
Wanted to know what is the fuel efficiency you guys get. Real world and indicated by the MID. I get a anything close to 9-10 kmpl on the MID in Mumbai city traffic with a very light foot. I've felt it is quite close in real life when measured using the tankful method. It might go to 11 kmpl when driven sanely on Western Express highway.

A friend's Baleno easily manages to get around 15 with a heavy foot in city traffic.
Owner of 2016 Zest petrol XMS here. I get similar FE numbers here in Bangalore.
Dense traffic in city: 9-10 kmpl
Highways: 16-17 kmpl (typically lightfooted, cruising at 90kmph)

P. S: I thought XTA was a diesel only variant in Zest. Wasn't XT the top variant in Petrol?
Old 18th March 2023, 08:39   #3118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh_66328 View Post
I get a anything close to 9-10 kmpl on the MID in Mumbai city traffic with a very light foot. I've felt it is quite close in real life when measured using the tankful method. It might go to 11 kmpl when driven sanely on Western Express highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Owner of 2016 Zest petrol XMS here. I get similar FE numbers here in Bangalore.
Dense traffic in city: 9-10 kmpl
Highways: 16-17 kmpl (typically lightfooted, cruising at 90kmph)

P. S: I thought XTA was a diesel only variant in Zest. Wasn't XT the top variant in Petrol?
Agree, These are the numbers that we get for Zest Petrol.
Mine is also 2016 model.

Pasting my reply that I posted in this thread earlier on the same topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
About 10-12 in city. Depends largely on the traffic

Highways - if you are in a hurry then about 15-17. If you are ready to drive sedately then 18+. For the sake of it if have managed about 20-21 couple of times.

The above highway figures are for a distance of about 300-350 kms up and down. Anything more than this, I haven't driven sedately and was always in 15-17 range
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 23:21   #3119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro_doc View Post
Usually an engine restart resets the issue. But for the past 1 month this does not go off upon restart but occasionally goes off while turning the steering fully towards left. No issues with brakes also. Anyone having similar issues or any idea what might be at fault. The steering is very heavy now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Have you got the battery checked?

I don't think this is related to the battery. Despite experiencing low battery issues in my AMT, I have never experienced any steering problems.

I suggest taking your vehicle to a reliable garage that can perform an error code scan.

There are some YouTube videos that discuss power steering issues, but they are often accompanied by an immobilizer blinking even when the ignition is on. This problem can be resolved by replacing the ignition relay which is already done as stated I guess.

In this below youtube video, the mechanic discusses the issue of ABS errors and hard steering same as your issue. Have a look at it and ask the service center to investigate this issue.

KumarS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 16:57   #3120
BHPian

Hello guys, I own a late 2015 Zest XTA that has done about 66k km.

I'm facing an issue with the reverse gear not engaging. The forward gears work well, but sometimes it will not engage the reverse gear and make a sound.

This happened a couple of months ago for the first time. I had to tow the vehicle to the service center and they reset/reinstalled the AMT software. The problem resurfaced again today and I am clueless about what to do next.

Has anyone else faced a similar issue? What could be the possible solutions? Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks