Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2014, 08:26   #706
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Being a product of tata myself (not directly though. , first PhD at IISc, generally called tata inst even today and later at TIFR), I reciprocate your views sir. I try to give similar reply when asked. for me spending money on tata products is helping the nation itself.
thanks for the nice blog sir, going to share it as soon as I reach my office.

cheers
Girish

girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 10:29   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Being a product of tata myself (not directly though. , first PhD at IISc, generally called tata inst even today and later at TIFR), I reciprocate your views sir. I try to give similar reply when asked. for me spending money on tata products is helping the nation itself.

cheers
Girish
Thank you so much Girish !

That is indeed a very warm gesture.

You might find a few more posts in there with reference to Tata / Titan / Ratan Tata sir.

Wish you all the very best !
Old 5th September 2014, 13:04   #708
BHPian

The Zest is a giant leap for Tata for sure! I have been very impressed with the Interiors. I think in this segment, it's only Hyundai's Xcent which scores above in interior fit & finish (but only by a tine teeny bit though! Nothing that Tata can't overcome in a jiffy!).

I spent a good amount of time looking over the car yesterday at the dealership. What I did find was that there were a lot of rough/unfinished spots at places where one doesn't usually take a look during TD. I think Tata needs to concentrate on finishing the job completely & not leaving some of these spots around.

For example, in the trunk lid area, there are these Spot Welds, which are somewhat sharp to touch & one might even cut oneself. The plastics still have sharp flushing on them. I really wish that Tata hired some finishing expert from one of the European brands to ensure that these things don't end up on a finished product.

This is not criticism for criticism's sake. When you are trying to revive your brand, you need to benchmark yourself against the BEST in the industry.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20140904_183319.jpg  

Desi Dybuk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 13:14   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post
T.....
Sorry for the one liner - But have you done such an in-depth review of the new City? Why do I ask, you will see some of such glaring misses there as well.

@Dr. Suraj - Well written review. I have also not faced any niggles with my Vista and the AMC is a wonderful value add for sure.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 13:23   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Sorry for the one liner - But have you done such an in-depth review of the new City? Why do I ask, you will see some of such glaring misses there as well.

@Dr. Suraj - Well written review. I have also not faced any niggles with my Vista and the AMC is a wonderful value add for sure.
As I had said in my remarks above, I like Zest a lot. I'm not a fan of City, for that matter. Just because Honda can get away with it doesn't mean Tata shouldn't try to better them. Heck, Amaze is such a shoddy product in front of even Manza, are we to assume that Zest wasn't needed to compete?

Fact is, to revive itself in the domestic market, Tata has to work Extra hard to prove itself in Design, Dependability, Style and, yes, even Fit & Finish.

Tata is planning to export this to other countries as well. And when these cars hit those shores, glaring issues like these will get highlighted abnormally & Tata would be skewered there. Just remember that reviewers there aren't blinded by our Patriotism & our rooting for the underdog.

Perception is what sells cars. If perception of Tata was high in India, then a fantastic vehicle like Aria wouldn't have bombed.

So, yes, I do tend to hold Tata to harsher scrutiny because I want them to SUCCEED not just on our shores but even abroad.

Peace.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 14:17   #711
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post

cheers
Girish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Thank you so much Girish !

That is indeed a very warm gesture.

You might find a few more posts in there with reference to Tata / Titan / Ratan Tata sir.

Wish you all the very best !
OT:

This is precisely the reason that I have been a Tata fan and staunch Tata supporter right from my childhood. Even my dad has immense faith in the Tata group of companies and says blindly that they can never cheat anyone.

Today as I look at the Indian market, I can see a Tata company catering and providing economic, VFM product/service in every market sector. They have always tried to cater to the needs of lowest person in the economic rung. Slowly they are providing product/service for the higher segments and even the highest segment/premium consumers.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 11:41   #712
BHPian

Has anyone able to see all colour variants in a showroom ? it would be good if pics can be shared in forum. I am still in dilemma what colour should I select since Dealer here in west Delhi doesn't have all colour variants.

Though I booked white last week but planning to change since waiting period is almost 2 weeks more than other colour variant.

Also, sad part is that I only got commitment form when I booked the car and no one has contacted me yet as they promised for booking no. and for showing colour variants from the dealer
Old 6th September 2014, 12:03   #713
BHPian

Just got a call from Tata Concorde to check out a Zest Revotron XT Red at their stockyard that they can deliver to me next week.

Not my preferred Dune Beige color, but my parents did love this color during TD.

I find Red/Blue a high maintenance color, so was lower on my priority choice of colors, so in a dilemma now.
Old 6th September 2014, 12:19   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Just got a call from Tata Concorde to check out a Zest Revotron XT Red at their stockyard that they can deliver to me next week.

Not my preferred Dune Beige color, but my parents did love this color during TD.

I find Red/Blue a high maintenance color, so was lower on my priority choice of colors, so in a dilemma now.
Same here , TATA showrooms should provide a mechanism to choose a right colour , seeing only a shade in catalogue cant help.
Old 6th September 2014, 12:39   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder View Post
Same here , TATA showrooms should provide a mechanism to choose a right colour , seeing only a shade in catalogue cant help.
No car dealer of any car can have all the shades in their showroom. The early buyers of a car always have this dilemma. I have seen Zest Blue & Red in person, Beige / Grey in videos. Not seen Silver or White. Looks like the early production cars are mostly Blue & Red, guess now they will adjust by demand.

I need a car in September, hence the urgency.
Old 6th September 2014, 14:24   #716
Senior - BHPian

Gsurya
Even dune beige would be "high maintenance". Zest looks smashing in Red. I wish they had offered colour coordinated interiors where the beige portion in the dash and door pads were Red in a Red car !
Old 6th September 2014, 14:27   #717

Happened to visit Pandit Auto, Pimpri (Pune) on 2nd Sept, 2014.
Saw a dune beige Zest there (not the TD vehicle).
Pic attached (hope it helps):Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20140902_174229122.jpg
sarodemayur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 14:46   #718
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarodemayur View Post
Happened to visit Pandit Auto, Pimpri (Pune) on 2nd Sept, 2014.
Saw a dune beige Zest there (not the TD vehicle).
Pic attached (hope it helps)
From this angle, and on that colour - the otherwise good looking tail-lamps look like a bindi on an Indian lady's forehead, although sideways!

I would anyday prefer the darker colours for Zest - specially the blue.
Old 6th September 2014, 15:09   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post

My fav colors in Zest is Red/blue. Ya they will be hard to maintain but would be worth the effort. Early buyers always have this dilemma of color choice and I don't blame dealerships as they get fixed amount of cars as per schedule. I will say take the red as you need the car urgently.
Old 6th September 2014, 15:40   #720
BHPian

Saw this grey colour Zest. Probably for delivery. Yes, next time I will get some good pics. My colleague clicked this for me, since I didn't want to climb down and up three floors.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-20140906-15.13.05.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-20140906-15.13.15.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-20140906-15.13.28.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-20140906-15.13.47.jpg  

altoman is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed