Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2014, 18:34   #1156
BHPian

Friends, you have got your Zests, please please let us know what basic accessories you got for this beauty. By accessories I mean floor mats, reverse parking sensors/camera etc with prices. Please give as much detail about the accessories as possible, whether you got those installed at dealer's or from outside.
Old 28th October 2014, 23:31   #1157
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
Here is my opinion after driving my Zest Revotroon XTfor 700 kms including a 300 kms trip.

Negatives -
  • Mileage in city (driving with AC for about 80% time and ECO mode for 50%) is about 10.7 km/ltr.
Thats a poor FE. I guess, it was the initial number since you drove only for 700KM. It might have improved since then. Is there any improvement ?
Old 29th October 2014, 11:53   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
Thats a poor FE. I guess, it was the initial number since you drove only for 700KM. It might have improved since then. Is there any improvement ?
The mileage at the time of delivery was 8 kmpl, it slowly rose to 10.7 kmpl before my long trip, where I got a mileage of 18+, so average now is about 13+ largely due to that trip. I guess city mileage is still around 11, may improve after first service.

Note: I have not yet done tank full - tank full method yet as I am still on first tank of fuel.
isandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 12:12   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
I couldn't find that thread buddy. Can you please share the link, if you find it? The SBI centralized customer care says that it is possible but depends on the branch, and the branches are denying. Probably it is not possible, as you said. Yes, but they are saying that I can avail loan from any SBI branch in Mathura and the verification part will happen in Bangalore. Still, if I could get a loan from Bangalore itself, it would have been great.
The offers are available with all the individual banks. HDFC Bank is offering No Processing fees, no Preclosure penalty. I am not sure if this is a campaign for individual customers or it is for the general public. Please check.

Earlier SBI was a preferred option as it offered loans for 7 years. Now all the banks are offering this option.

Let me know if you are still facing difficulties, I can send you some contact. I am referring this for Bangalore location.
Old 29th October 2014, 12:31   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
The mileage at the time of delivery was 8 kmpl, it slowly rose to 10.7 kmpl before my long trip, where I got a mileage of 18+, so average now is about 13+ largely due to that trip. I guess city mileage is still around 11, may improve after first service.

Note: I have not yet done tank full - tank full method yet as I am still on first tank of fuel.
So for that one long trip, you got 18+ kmpl? That is good, really good as it is still in run in. I am assuming you have driven sedately, still 18+ is excellent. After run in and firat service, the highway mileage should go up to 20 which would be too good for a petrol this heavy, if driven sedately. Please keep updating the numbers as you crunch more miles.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 12:48   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
So for that one long trip, you got 18+ kmpl? That is good, really good as it is still in run in. I am assuming you have driven sedately, still 18+ is excellent. After run in and firat service, the highway mileage should go up to 20 which would be too good for a petrol this heavy, if driven sedately. Please keep updating the numbers as you crunch more miles.
As mentioned in earlier post, I have kept a light foot on accelator maintaining speeds 70 - 100 km/hr with AC (Eco Mode) and driven in Eco mode. Most of the stretch is good road with lots of speed bumps and about 15 kms of Ghat road in between.

I normally use the car on weekends only so do not drive much,but surely will update the mileage and other details as I move ahead.
Old 30th October 2014, 08:11   #1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post

No deals on insurance or anything else, is pretty bad. Can anyone share at what rate they got insurance if taken on their own and not through the dealer ?
For motor insurance, Prerana Motors (Bangalore) has partnered with Tata AIG. For XMS Petrol, they're charging Rs. 20928. That does not even include zero depreciation. I enquired directly with Tata AIG, and I was given a quote of just over Rs. 15k for a standard insurance. Which means the dealer margin is more than 25%!

I got quotes from ICICI and HDFC as well, but decided to go ahead with Tata AIG as it was cheaper. I bought their Pearl add-on package which included zero depreciation benefit among other things, and finally cost me Rs. 18535.
SaurabhAgrawal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 15:01   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhAgrawal View Post
For motor insurance, Prerana Motors (Bangalore) has partnered with Tata AIG. For XMS Petrol, they're charging Rs. 20928. That does not even include zero depreciation. I enquired directly with Tata AIG, and I was given a quote of just over Rs. 15k for a standard insurance. Which means the dealer margin is more than 25%!

I got quotes from ICICI and HDFC as well, but decided to go ahead with Tata AIG as it was cheaper. I bought their Pearl add-on package which included zero depreciation benefit among other things, and finally cost me Rs. 18535.
Thank you for the valueable information. I have booked an XMA and waiting for delivery. It will really help if you could share what basic accessories you got for your car, as you should be more than satisfied I guess with the music system, if you could comment on other small things like floor mats etc and whether mud flaps are a requirement.
I request all Zest owners to share their experience on the same.
Old 31st October 2014, 16:31   #1164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
My first mileage check - on tankful to tankful method - yielded 16.2 kmpl on roads with broken tarmac, ghat section, pot holes, single lane and 5 adults with AC on, on 500 km trip.

My second check yielded 20.85 kmpl - about 50 km in city and 280 km on 4 laned high way. AC 100 % on with three adults on board for highway run and 5 adults and 2 kids in city.

Total kilometres run till date: 1190
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 17:34   #1165
BHPian

Got a chance to take my XT Diesel for an approx 550 km round trip. The over all experience was good. The suspension is what I could not stop paying attention to since the car handled the potholes like a piece of cake. It manoeuvred the potholes with a sweet thud sound and they were hardly felt. Handling was amazing and overtaking was a breeze. The car certainly has a stance and with all the packed goodies such as DRLs, corona lights, LED tail lamps, Projectors etc catch people's attention.

However, there are some areas where I felt a little disappointed.

The car demands an upshift from 1st to 2nd and then to 3rd in a quick succession and does not pull much in lower gear as did my Dzire L.di.

Also, I was feeling way too lazy shifting gears as I somehow find the throw to be longer and tiresome during frequent overtakes on the Highway.

The presence of an armrest was badly missed. The passenger and pillion seats have a wide distance between them and I was desperately looking for some support for my left hand which was easily supported by the pillion seat as I could rest my elbow in my Dzire.

After it got dark, I found the headlamp illumination to be insufficient. They work perfectly fine in pitch dark conditions, but they were hardly effective under some sparse illumination by street lights. Planning an HID upgrade for both highbeam and low beam very soon.

Another thing that I'm worried about is the black smoke which is already being oozed out even under slightly hard acceleration and that too when the car is not even 2000km old (any comments?). This seems a little strange as my 30000km old Dzire never gave black smoke.

Last but not the least, it seemed as if the calculated average display on the MID somehow challenged me to cross the number 15, even though I never crossed 100-110 mark. although I somehow managed 16.7 with a mix of city and highway drive which I guess is good enough for a 90ps engine.

All in all, the overall experience went amazing and this car is amazing for sedate highway cruising and the best for city driving at this price. Would be looking out for more performance mods, tuning chips etc. in the near future.
bullet_chacha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 23:45   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post

The car demands an upshift from 1st to 2nd and then to 3rd in a quick succession and does not pull much in lower gear as did my Dzire L.di.

I am not sure why it is , I find it somewhat equal to the swift ZDI that I have driven many times , infact Zest is more linear than Swift.
Quote:
Another thing that I'm worried about is the black smoke which is already being oozed out even under slightly hard acceleration and that too when the car is not even 2000km old (any comments?). This seems a little strange as my 30000km old Dzire never gave black smoke.
No need to worry , if it's black smoke simply visit service station most probably it could be due incorrect fuel and air ratio which can be easily checked.

Quote:
Last but not the least, it seemed as if the calculated average display on the MID somehow challenged me to cross the number 15, even though I never crossed 100-110 mark. although I somehow managed 16.7 with a mix of city and highway drive which I guess is good enough for a 90ps engine.
I am also very confused, every time when I reset the trip and drive on highway it gives me very good mileage indication (22~23.5) however in city it barely crosses 14. it's a huge difference indeed.
Old 1st November 2014, 07:56   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
All in all, the overall experience went amazing and this car is amazing for sedate highway cruising and the best for city driving at this price. Would be looking out for more performance mods, tuning chips etc. in the near future.

I got a chance to speak to Zest Owner during my visit to Kerala who has done 1200kms on his Zest. He was all smiles and had no issues at all. i asked the fuel consumptions figures and he said he had not bothered as yet to check but one thing he said that was he used to own a Swift before and he was delighted withe the Zest!

As a guy who owns a Tata Car I was delighted to hear such a positive review!
shashi63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 15:56   #1168
BHPian

I've taken delivery of a dune beige Diesel XT on the 22nd of Oct., a day before Diwali. The delivery process was not entirely sweet, the ugly head of TATA dealers rear up from time to time, though have to be said that, TATA officials dealings have turned more professional. No frills on the ZEST. Not even a single paisa discount. My car on road in Delhi came to around 7.93 Lakhs, I did not take the Insurance offered by the dealer, went for Royal Sundaram and have got a good deal. I've also not opted for any extended warranty, don't know if it is the right thing. Apart from floor mats, carpets, body and bumper protector, steering wrap, seat covers and mud flaps, nothing else is much needed, as mostly all is taken care in the top model. The ICE system is a gem, although it would have been an absolute delight, had we got the option of integrating a navigation system, but with smart phones, it is not sorely missed. I haven't yet taken the car out on long drives, as a lot of other members, and neither have I bothered about the FE as of yet, I've driven it about 500 kms., after a full tank and would like to see how much it runs. The digital fuel meter is tricky, and am not able to gauge the amount of fuel left when the meter hits red. Am slowly 'running in' the vehicle, and plan to do so for the first 1000 kms., before really putting it to test. The synthetic oil is a sore point in the long run. After the standard warranty of 45 K kms., can i switch to mineral oil? The stance of the car is good, the power delivery is linear, sitting is comfortable, though personally would have liked the driver seat to be a little more hard, it helps during long drives. New car, hence, the suspension feels good, the steering response is good, and it feels chunky. The road visibility is not the best, but will do. Nothing much to add, other than what has already been discussed and highlighted by other esteem members, but yes, the gear has vibrations in lower slotting. All in all, I don't think that the decision to buy this car, in spite of a lot of apprehension from people around, will be regretted. I'm actually looking forward to having fun with this car once we get to know each other better. Hope I'm proved right.
amartya sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 16:39   #1169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartya sinha View Post
...The synthetic oil is a sore point in the long run. After the standard warranty of 45 K kms., can i switch to mineral oil? ...
If it were me, I would NOT. 45K kms is quite a mileage on the car (and in 3 years?) and the parts would be accustomed to the synthetic oil. When you downgrade, that may NOT be healthy. Plus, that's a change you would need just once in a year? Let it be!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 16:44   #1170
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, Amartya ! Wishing you a long happy ownership. Tata's new vehicles are looking better than ever. I myself have the Storme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amartya sinha View Post
The synthetic oil is a sore point in the long run. After the standard warranty of 45 K kms., can i switch to mineral oil?
Technically you can. Just that, the car will feel a little more rough with mineral oils than when on Synth oils. You could try semi-synth oil too.

One option is to continue on Synthetic oil, but change oil less frequently.

@Swiftnfurious, it would be more a case of the owner getting used to smoothness of the engine when running on Synthetic oil than about the car itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks