Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 15:48   #1261
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Some variants of the recently launched Tata Zest compact sedan, are believed to have a waiting period of up to 6 months. A supply constraint from some of the vendors and an inadequate production capacity are the main causes for this long waiting period.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
I believe the XMS and XT version, the production is slow as the Harmon Kardon systems are in short supply. My friend is booking the top end XT diesel today evening and the waiting period is 4-6 weeks.

Will update the shortlisting process of my friend (first time car buyer) later in the evening.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 15:54   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Some variants of the recently launched Tata Zest compact sedan, are believed to have a waiting period of up to 6 months. A supply constraint from some of the vendors and an inadequate production capacity are the main causes for this long waiting period.

Guys

Since I see a lot of posts for the waiting period here, just wanted to put a couple of lines on the status at my showroom - Autovikas in Delhi. I was only interested in XMA and they have courteously given me 2 test drives both at my office and residence. The car if I make up my mind today (which I might!) is ready for delivery without booking on Thursday colours available White, Silver, Grey, Beige and with some effort Blue as well.

I believe if you look around there are quite so many dealers sitting with inventories in different colour and models. All you need to do is convey that seriousness to buy it ASAP to the dealers and ask around.

I might pick up the white XMA this week, just confused about the colour to go for. Also it is only the idea of an automatic with a diesel in the affordable segment which is convincing me to go ahead, I have no immediate need for the car.

Since this made the decision to wait or to take the plunge now difficult, I am enumerating some of the factors that I have considered based on my discussions with the Sales rep. (who unlike most reps. seems to be quite knowledgeable).
1. The Silver AMC free is being discontinued from Jan (there is an email from TML to dealers confirming that already)
2. The free road side assistance is being discontinued from Jan (there is an email from TML to dealers confirming that already)
3. The Warranty according to the SR is also going to be reduced to 2 years (as is the case with other Tata cars, haven't checked this)
4. There is a price rise on the cards, according to him in the last 2 months itself they have raised the prices marginally by a couple of thousand.
5. Having the car today in my hand (the last but not so important factor for me today). However, according to 3 different SR the 2015 model will only be available late feb or early march (also do not want to wait that long)

The flip side to buying it now is of course depreciation effect of one year on the car value.

What are your views?

Cheers

Last edited by AGwagon : 17th November 2014 at 16:03. Reason: More to add
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 16:19   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Guys

The flip side to buying it now is of course depreciation effect of one year on the car value.

What are your views?

Cheers
If this is the only question I would suggest you ask yourselves a question how frequently do you change/sell your car. If this car is going to stay with you for 3+ years above should not matter?
Old 17th November 2014, 16:56   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
I don't know if anyone has studied this point properly but this looks like a marketing tactic to me. Remember the old Indica V2? Waiting period back then was like 2-3 days. My family had got an Indica in 2003 but with a very freshly launched color and it was petrol. That's why the waiting period was extended to 20 days.

So the point in giving long waiting period to customers is to play a mind game and make the customer believe that the car he is gonna buy is in HUGE demand. This is what I feel.
You make a good point, but there is also the # of units sold right which the articlce quotes is higher than Honda Amaze at the moment. Those are big numbers, from past model experience.
Old 17th November 2014, 17:01   #1265
BHPian

Quote:

I happened to check out the waiting period for Zest at Prerana Motors, Bangalore, near Urvashi theatre yesterday evening.
The SA mentioned 2-3 weeks for XT Revotron and 4-6 weeks for XMA diesel.
Old 17th November 2014, 18:18   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So the point in giving long waiting period to customers is to play a mind game and make the customer believe that the car he is gonna buy is in HUGE demand. This is what I feel.
you seem to be correct here! they are selling just 3K cars per month and they have a waiting period. How much did they plan to sell? 1-2K? Was tata so pessimistic!
Old 17th November 2014, 19:06   #1267
MHG
BHPian

I hope this doesn't result in a repeat of the Nano fiasco where Tata had a lottery to buy the Nano coupled with uncertain delivery dates in the initial months when all this climaxed with the Nano becoming one of the biggest flops in the Indian market from an initial expectation of 30,000 cars a month.
Old 18th November 2014, 00:13   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if anyone has studied this point properly but this looks like a marketing tactic to me. Remember the old Indica V2? Waiting period back then was like 2-3 days. My family had got an Indica in 2003 but with a very freshly launched color and it was petrol. That's why the waiting period was extended to 20 days.

Switching capacity (increasing) is easier said than done. Not all stamping presses are designed for making the same panel (example). Very importantly, the supply chain has to be ready to deliver. Probably Tata predicted a 30:70 split (Petroliesel) with the XMA/XM/XMT versions bringing in the major chunk. However they are getting a sizable number of orders for the petrol, with people opting for the XT/XTA!. That is just one example of why 'ramping up' production is easier said than done.
Old 18th November 2014, 01:25   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Switching capacity (increasing) is easier said than done. Not all stamping presses are designed for making the same panel (example). Very importantly, the supply chain has to be ready to deliver. Probably Tata predicted a 30:70 split (Petroliesel) with the XMA/XM/XMT versions bringing in the major chunk. However they are getting a sizable number of orders for the petrol, with people opting for the XT/XTA!. That is just one example of why 'ramping up' production is easier said than done.
What is XTA? The AMT is only available with XM, hence XMA.
Old 18th November 2014, 09:19   #1270
BHPian

http://m.autocarindia.com/Article.as...1686&type=News

Mayank Pareek says it's supply side constraints that is pushing up the waiting period.
Surprisingly, two dealers I spoke in Bangalore did not inform anything about the 6 months long delay!
Old 18th November 2014, 09:31   #1271
BHPian

Quote:
Had a chat with the local dealer few weeks back, he mentioned that the top variant XT has a comparatively long waiting period predominantly due to the shortage in supply of the HK infotainment system.

Inspite of supply constraint its nice that TATA is offering the XT variant with the HK system unlike Maruti Suzuki who rather teased Indian customers with touchscreen system on ZDI+ and then made them settle for ZDI(O)
Old 18th November 2014, 10:21   #1272
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations arindam for the new ride. Wish you unlimited safe and zesty miles! Nice points you've added about + and -ves. Please also post a full review soon with pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
The low beam keeps on even if you have the high beam on, improves road visibility at night.
Did this not happen in your previous car?
Old 18th November 2014, 16:55   #1273
BHPian

This is really silly & overcautious from Tata:

Demand exists. But supply constraints hinder. Hence, 6 month waiting period.

http://www.carwale.com/news/14619-ta...ix-months.html

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1700302_1.html
Old 18th November 2014, 17:18   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
This is really silly & overcautious from Tata:

Demand exists. But supply constraints hinder. Hence, 6 month waiting period.

http://www.carwale.com/news/14619-ta...ix-months.html

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1700302_1.html
Surya Bhai,

i am waiting for your ownership report. Its really sad to see that our forum does not have even a single ownership report on zest.
Atif is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 18:57   #1275
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
Surya Bhai,

i am waiting for your ownership report. Its really sad to see that our forum does not have even a single ownership report on zest.
I was just thinking the same that there are no ownership reviews on this thread. Was searching for some and came across this one on carwale. Sounds good!

You can read the whole thing here- http://www.carwale.com/research/user...aspx?rid=43866
Any owners here with a review of their Zest?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks