Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 12:30   #1366
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenSangi View Post
Took delivery of my XMS Revotron on Friday evening from Concorde Motors, Sanathnagar. Delivery process was smooth and took 4 hours for the process. Here are few pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Could you post some interior pictures, confirming about the colour of your door pads?

Congratulations for your ride
Congratulations on the your Purchase of Zest! I am eagerly waiting for mine! Should be delivered by this Sunday!

Please do Post the pics of Interiors!
Old 1st December 2014, 14:29   #1367
BHPian

On this bright Sunday morning, in just 2 hrs on road in Pune, saw 4 nos of brand new individual registered ZEST [ 3 of them with plastic seat covers on) . Oh Man...what a road presence all of them had, I saw a RED, GREY, WHITE , Blue . All of them were dazzling , i felt the paint finish being given on Zest is extremely high quality and Glossy. As per me, they looked way better and contemporary than amaze, xcent , and dzire ofcourse :-)

Great Job by Tata ! Definitely hope to see many more such beauties on road from our ' pride of India' Tatas.
Amazing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 14:43   #1368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
On this bright Sunday morning, in just 2 hrs on road in Pune, saw 4 nos of brand new individual registered ZEST [ 3 of them with plastic seat covers on) . Oh Man...what a road presence all of them had, I saw a RED, GREY, WHITE , Blue . All of them were dazzling , i felt the paint finish being given on Zest is extremely high quality and Glossy. As per me, they looked way better and contemporary than amaze, xcent , and dzire ofcourse :-)

Great Job by Tata ! Definitely hope to see many more such beauties on road from our ' pride of India' Tatas.
Yes. There are many gleaming Zests on our roads now and they sure are a pleasant sight. That car just gives some sort of positive vibes on every sight. And the drivers' faces are always overflowing with that excitement we get when driving in sync with the car.

As for the colour - Tata has always done one of the better jobs in paint finish. And thats not a surprise at all. Why else did Mercedes use TML's paint facility for their cars all these years. (Discontinued earlier this year at last after MB's own paint shop is finally setup.) The paint is always applied well, with a thick coat, without cutting costs (no obviously visible white/primer panels on the insides for example as is becoming a norm off late).
Old 1st December 2014, 15:15   #1369
Team-BHP Support

The paint job on the Zest is top notch. Here is a pic of a friend's red Zest taken during a recent road trip.

Tata Zest : Official Review-dsc_2476-copy.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 19:27   #1370
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3592978

I have posted a query in the 2014 Fiesta thread wherein I am comparing the Zest AMT with the 2014 Fiesta Trend. It is really important for me, so copying the post from there, please bear with the context switching:

Here is a weird query now. I have booked a Zest XMA at Mathura, U.P. for my parents, it's USP being the AMT.
Now, as the number of comments grow in this thread, I get more and more confuse. Fiesta is a fantastic car, I know that without ever driving one. But some factors have stopped me even from taking a TD of this beauty. I am listing them here and would ask you people to comment and advise.

I have weighed my priorities in numbers on a scale of 10:

I. Zest XMA > Fiesta Trend
1. INR 2 Lakh (Big advantage, 7/10)
2. It is an automatic (Biggest advantage, 9/10)
3. No Ford showroom in Mathura, nearest, Agra is >100 km away from where my parents live (They live some 50 KMs from Mathura where nearest Tata showroom is there) - 5/10
4. Alloys (Not a priority at all, 3/10)
5. 4 Yrs extended warranty, Gold AMC package and road side assistance. - 8/10
6. Supposedly lesser maintenance in long term, being a Tata. - 3/10
7. Compact dimensions - 5/10
8. The ground clearance, only 165 on paper but you have to look at it to believe how tall it sits. As in U.P., there is no concept of roads, this holds high priority but as Fiesta doesn't seem to scrape much as fellow BHPians have said here, I have to control this emotion - 6/10
9. HK ICE - 3/10

II. Fiesta trend > Zest XMA
1. 2-airbags, the XMA doesn't come with even one! - 10/10
2. It's "The Fiesta" - 2/10 (would have rated more if they lived in a better place. Its really better look low profile where they live)
3. Better ride - 5/10 (Zest's ride is good enough)
4. Better handling, steering - 7/10 (would have been more if this car was for me)
5. Supposedly Better braking (unsure about this) - 2/10 (Zest also comes equipped with ABS and EBD, in the official review thread of the Zest, theyseem to be impressed with the brakes.
6. Bigger boot - 2/10 (Parents don't need a huge boot. Even a hatchback would do for them)
7. Best front seats - 5/10 as I found Zest's seats to be comfy too.
8. Roomier cabin in front - 5/10.

Rear space doesn't matter, rear seats don't matter, both the engines are good enough for their usage. Ford's stalks are European style, which will be little off for my father who currently drives a Baleno, but after one day of driving, it would be fine, so didn't include it in the list.

Hence, Zest XMA > Fiesta Trend == 49 points.
Fiesta Trend > Zest XMA == 33 points

I understand that these two cars are from two different category altogether but as they are the most likable and I can, I am comparing. Please friends, please advise, feel free to edit my ratings of one car over the other (these numbers are actually ratings, weighed by my parents' priorities).

Thanks for being with me through the long post and for your kind responses as well.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 20:06   #1371

I have been driving XMA over last 1 month. Havenot clocked any long highway miles yet, have driven primarily in stop and go city traffic (620 kms). Feels good to drive and I slowly understood the shifting positions of gears and able to accelerate relatively smooth now as compared to jerky initial days.

Couple of problems I am seeing:

1) In last one week I am seeing a problem with EPAS. The EPAS failure light glows once in a while and steering becomes so tight (feels like a truck). Fortunately it has happened mostly when I pull out of the parking, and not while on full drive. After twisting and turning the steering few times fault light used to disappear. Today the fault light held on for 10 mins, I decided to park it back and restarted after 3-4 hours the fault lamp did not glow. Without taking further risk, I have dropped the car in the service shop today to do a check on EPAS.

2) The left hand door open indicator flashes indicating it is open when I am in 3rd gear and above. It appears and disappears. Looks like a door sensor issue. I am also thinking that this is causing another problem, when I have drive lock setting on , it keeps on making 'kat kat' noise every few minutes as if it is trying to auto lock. I am suspecting the faulty sensor might be causin this problem.

Will update as soon as I hear back from the service shop.
Old 1st December 2014, 20:16   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The paint job on the Zest is top notch. Here is a pic of a friend's red Zest taken during a recent road trip.

Attachment 1314293
Thanks BlackPearl! This shot was taken by Blackpearl on a recent weekend trip!I ran the car for about 650 odd kms with full AC ECON AUTO on that trip. Drove the car in all modes - ECO, Sports to test the different modes. I got a mileage of 15.2 KMPL for the whole trip after reaching home. Just to confirm the sports mode actually works, it transforms the car into a different one! But one has to get used to its gear ratios!
arindam_xeta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 21:00   #1373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I have weighed my priorities in numbers on a scale of 10:

II. Fiesta trend > Zest XMA
1. 2-airbags, the XMA doesn't come with even one! - 10/10

Hence, Zest XMA > Fiesta Trend == 49 points.
Fiesta Trend > Zest XMA == 33 points
Why not compare with XMS vs Fiesta instead of XMA? You would lose out on automatic but get 2 airbags. Since you've given 9 for automatic and 10 for airbags, I don't understand why you are not considering XMS into the equation. XMS vs Fiesta would be 40 vs 23.
Old 1st December 2014, 21:03   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
That's a fantastic snap!

Looks good as well and I never thought the Red would look good on the Zest!

Have a safe drive! Many miles of smiles too!
Old 1st December 2014, 21:56   #1375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Why not compare with XMS vs Fiesta instead of XMA? You would lose out on automatic but get 2 airbags. Since you've given 9 for automatic and 10 for airbags, I don't understand why you are not considering XMS into the equation. XMS vs Fiesta would be 40 vs 23.
Very valid point buddy. Thing is, though the Zest is a fantastic product, I considered it at first only because of that AMT. Rating the automatic factor was not really required as having it changes the whole equation totally, but as Fiesta is lacking it, had to include it.
Having airbags is really important for me, hence rated it 10/10. If the XMA had them, it would have been great, but even without them, the AMT factor being the primary factor, the XMA is the choice, over XMS.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 2nd December 2014, 00:32   #1376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vauto_fan View Post
I have been driving XMA over last 1 month. Havenot clocked any long highway miles yet, have driven primarily in stop and go city traffic (620 kms). Feels good to drive and I slowly understood the shifting positions of gears and able to accelerate relatively smooth now as compared to jerky initial days.

Can you please throw some light on FE figures ? I am really interested in knowing city mileage.
Old 2nd December 2014, 02:08   #1377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a weird query now. I have booked a Zest XMA at Mathura, U.P. for my parents, it's USP being the AMT.
Now, as the number of comments grow in this thread, I get more and more confuse. ...
I think your scoring does bring out the verdict. Zest it has to be considering your parents may NOT be enthusiasts and AMT will make a lot more difference. An additional point for the (tall) seating position in Zest; very ideal for middle aged people.
Old 2nd December 2014, 07:57   #1378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think your scoring does bring out the verdict. Zest it has to be considering your parents may NOT be enthusiasts and AMT will make a lot more difference. An additional point for the (tall) seating position in Zest; very ideal for middle aged people.
Scoring has spoken!!
You are right, taller seating is one good advantage here which I missed, thanks for including it.
One Fiesta's + that I missed was the ACC, it surely is a nice to have feature always, anyhow a manual AC would do just fine.
One thing more, I am wondering if I should wait for January 1st to register the car so that it becomes a 2014 model. The car should be available soon and I am planning to visit there and taje delivery around 15th Dec. I can wait for 15 more days and take the delivery later so that it gets registered in 2015. Is it worth?
Also, as door pads color is changed from a lighter shade to latte, should I see that the one we get is mandatorily post Oct manufactured? Would it have any other upgrades also?
Please help friends.

Last edited by itsashishsharma : 2nd December 2014 at 08:07.
Old 2nd December 2014, 08:38   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One thing more, I am wondering if I should wait for January 1st to register the car so that it becomes a 2014 model. The car should be available soon and I am planning to visit there and taje delivery around 15th Dec. I can wait for 15 more days and take the delivery later so that it gets registered in 2015. Is it worth?
I'm assuming you are not getting any year end discounts for Zest. If there are year end discounts, it would typically compensate the lower resale for 2014 model. It is the date of manufacture that counts, not the date of registration. So delaying the registration date is not going to help much. However, if you can wait till mid to end Jan, you might be able to get a 2015 car which would have its plus when you try to sell it later.
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:59   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I'm assuming you are not getting any year end discounts for Zest. If there are year end discounts, it would typically compensate the lower resale for 2014 model. It is the date of manufacture that counts, not the date of registration. So delaying the registration date is not going to help much. However, if you can wait till mid to end Jan, you might be able to get a 2015 car which would have its plus when you try to sell it later.
That is correct. However, one has to keep in mind that "333 confidence" scheme is available only till Dec. If one wants to take advantage of it, at least the invoice should be done in Dec.

Most Viewed