Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2014, 13:32   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

This is what is expected out of Tata and they are delivering it.

Congrats to the Tata team that worked on bringing out an affordable diesel automatic compact sedan!

But guys, those who are contemplating on buying this one, please be aware that as with any new product launch, there are going to be associated issues for sometime. So, unless you are not in really hurry, please wait for all the issues to get ironed out before taking the plunge.

Hope Tata takes care of QC and provides a far better service support!
Old 4th August 2014, 13:42   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
When we drove the car in Goa, in the short time that we had, it was not possible to comprehensively test the Sport and Eco modes. Additionally, the roads in Goa are really smooth - unlike the stuff that we are likely to find in Mumbai and other places around India. The drive in Mumbai gave us a better feel of the vehicle in more realistic conditions.
Thanks, Aditya. Unfortunate, how most of the other reviewers missed out on this point and some claimed it was a marketing gimmick with no real feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Let me start off my saying, I was thoroughly impressed by the Zest. Not only as a step forward for Tata, but more importantly when compared to the competition as well.

I'm glad to see that finally a company has developed an engine with user-switchable maps. Think about it, this is the kind of functionality that people pay 20,000+ Rupees for in the form of switchable "Pete's" or "RaceDynamics" boxes. Tata has built that in, and that too in this segment!

cya
R
This clearly shows how Tata is willing to adapt newer technology and offer it to buyers at marginal cost. On the other extreme end, we have Mahindra who skimped on Rs.800 for the brakes, ending up making its Thar customers spend 20,000 for a brake upgrade.

Last edited by discoverwild : 4th August 2014 at 13:44. Reason: better reading
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 13:46   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Here's a parting shot:
Beautifully summarized! And This picture says it all Rehaan.

Before the BHP version, I saw saw some of the Automag video reviews and there in I was hooked, to what they have achieved. The brilliant blue colour is an add-on. And more importantly, if this is what they call the first from their line, I can only wonder, what their new products will be (Esp the product version of Nexon concept). I just hope they are able to sustain the momentum and not falter on the way.

Last but not least, a detailed review; as always.

Last edited by ampere : 4th August 2014 at 14:04.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 13:49   #49
BHPian

Stunning review.

Tata Motors have done lot of homework before bringing out Zest, it shows in the fit and finish.

Tata needs similar thought out process and planning in after sales support else it will meet similar fate like previous generations.

In current market scenario the moment one takes Tata's name in passenger cars the answer is " Tata ke bus ki kuch nahin hai "

Good Luck to Tata Motors with the Zest.

Being an Indian company I want them to be highly competitive & Successful across world markets.
Old 4th August 2014, 13:49   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

This is what happens when a capable motor making giant wakes up from its slumber. Though it still needs to put a show at the ASS too, but Zest, as a product has the potential to beat *all* the cars in the compact sedan class. It has a better boot integration than the quirky D'zire, has much better interiors than the Honda's Amaze and my personal opinion is that it looks better than the Xcent (Reader's mileage may vary). The feature list is longer than the cars of the segment. A lot of features are segment firsts, and the build quality is leagues ahead of what it used to be for a Tata car.

I am thoroughly impressed with the car and hope it gets the fair treatment in the market without any prejudice.

Last but not the least, the attention to detail in the review is fantastic. It was a much awaited review but when you guys are upto it, it is simply unparalleled.

Thanks,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 14:00   #51
BHPian

Superb 5* review, well worth the long wait. My takeaways were:
  • Exterior finish is superb
  • Interior finish could have been better
  • Internal storage/cubbyholes a negative
  • Revotron engine is 2nd best ONLY to VW Polo 1.2 TSi amongst all available hatchbacks & compact sedans

Overall, am happy that this review validates my booking of a Zest Revotron even before I saw it in person & TD-ed only a week after online booking.
gsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 14:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Great review there, as always!

Sad to know, the mid-variant audio isn't as exciting to hear as the top-end variant's audio.

And given that AMT won't come in top end, its such a disappointment. :(
Old 4th August 2014, 14:03   #53

As a Honda Amaze owner, the Tata Zest looks delicious and, well, I never thought I will say this, but quite a bit jealous.

The Xcent didn't work for me, but this car should definitely should be a game changer if marketed well and accepted by the people as it should be.
devious.mojave is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 14:07   #54
BHPian

Fantastic review. Great product from TATA. I think its a quantum leap in the quality of TATA cars. Im provoked to take a TD of this car asap.
Old 4th August 2014, 14:10   #55
BHPian

Wow! This is a fabulous review and the attention to detail is great! As GTO said, it tells me everything i need to know about this car. Kudos to you guys!

From this it seems tata is upping their ante and i guess this is the first car in the segment which has user switchable maps(petrol). I guess the revotron will deliver better mileage compared to the competitor's petrol cars and overall, i feel this is a seriously well rounded product. This car will surely sell like hotcakes considering diesel deregulation coming to picture real soon. That aside, the first diesel automatic at a decent price? Why do i see "win" written all over this car? A job well done by the TATA team if i must add.
Old 4th August 2014, 14:11   #56
BHPian

Good review. Thanks to the team.It makes us think differently about this car and Tata motors.With correct pricing and availability ,the car can make in roads to other competitors. Tata is already shaping up their service section. Now we can say they got a contender in this segment.Wish the very best .
Old 4th August 2014, 14:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
A few comments from a Tata owner

4) The red light for the rear window lock actually glows when windows are unlocked - this is a typical Tata feature seen in the Storme as well. Should have been intuitively the other way round
The reason behind this feature, IMO, is that the driver shall know if the rear windows are unlocked in case the kids are sitting in the rear seat. The kids might roll down the window when they shall not be doing it and hence the warning lights!
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 14:16   #58
BHPian

Awesome review as always.

Why do I have a feeling that Tata finally has a car that can do decent numbers. I completely agree that they should have marketed their Diesel AMT better. This is the one that will bring them the numbers they desire.

Well done TATA on at least making an effort to offer a improved product.
Old 4th August 2014, 14:22   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvadips View Post
Excellent review guys.

It looks like Zest is as good as the Xcents, Dezires and the Amazes.

Requesting someone to upload the cost comparison of Zest with its competitors.
Vehicle launch is on 12th August, I think. Prices should be up then.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 14:30   #60
BHPian

Excellent review. IMHO, Tata Motors has come a long way in developing a good quality product. I hope it translates into sales numbers for them. Can't wait for the test drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks