Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 08:54   #181

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

As always , great work Team BHP , perhaps the most exhaustive review of the TATA Zest.One thing is clear, with their backs on the wall , TATA do have a winner here and for once they are not using the customers as guinea pigs. I may not have driven the ZEST , but the car looks a lot more desirable and reliable. The marketing team needs to take the ZEST to the next level. KUDOS TATA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 6th August 2014, 09:06   #182
BHPian

Shashi63, team bhp review is very comprehensive and covers all aspects of Zest including features. I think Rehaan and Aditya have done a marvellous and commendable job.

It is an impartial and comprehensive review and not an advertisement for Tata motors. Chill dude.
Ross is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 09:53   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
What I do find missing in this review is the fact that none of the segment first features have been highlighted...
I do see a reference "(a first in this segment)" added to those features. So what else are you looking at? And hope you did read the first line of the review too. I don't think even TATA has bothered to advertise it, yet!

Quote:
...Mod's who are Automobile Engineers and more learned than me can't say that definitely!......
On a lighter note, I doubt any of the Mods in here is an automobile engineer.

The car is neither launched nor we can say it will be reliable. Let some long term ownership reviews (of Zest) speak for TATA than our mods. I think since they are more learned, they do NOT want to make any assumptions.

Quote:
...maybe our Mods should go back to Tata and do a review of the new Manza and possibly speak to a few owners who have brought Tata vehicles in the past 2 years and check their experience before saying what you won't like poor service quality!......
Quote:
...Since people have such a negative image about Tata products maybe we can even ask Tata for the figures for the Crash Test and then display it transparently for a full blown review!...
It's TATA's head ache to prove their worth and NOT our moderators.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th August 2014 at 09:54.
swiftnfurious is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 10:16   #184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What I do find missing in this review is the fact that none of the segment first features have been highlighted.
Several segment first features have been explicitly mentioned in the review. I am not sure if you've been through the review properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
What you'll like:

• India's first diesel-automatic in the C1 segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Zest embodies Tata's new design language with a fresh signature grille that has chrome lines running along the top & bottom, and a honeycomb mesh in between. The headlamp clusters have halogen projectors for the low beams (a first in this segment). The headlights also have a “follow me home” function and cool "angel eye" light rings around the projectors. The front bumper incorporates a wide, trapezoidal air dam along with foglamp housings that are lined with LED day-time running lights (another segment first) or chrome accents (depending on the variant). The bonnet of the car rises at both ends and has a sculpted power bulge in the middle too.

Halogen projector low beams (a first in this segment) are also provided on the mid variant, but without the 'guide lights' ('angel eye' rings)
I haven't seen a review wherein these segment first features are mentioned under a different title so this looks absolutely fine to me.

Quote:
our Mod's who are Automobile Engineers
AFAIK none of them are.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th August 2014 at 10:17.
Gannu_1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 10:50   #185
Senior - BHPian

Hello Rehaan / Adtiya,

A few questions related to the mid level AMT variant.

1) You mentioned the sound quality is not as good in the mid variant compared to the top end. Is it too bad, with weak/non-existent bass? Something like we see in cheap Maruti's (Nippon/Sony systems)? Or is it still right up there with the likes of OEM ICE of DZire/Xcent?

2) The mid variant doesn't have seat height adjust for driver. Do you guys have any idea if a tall driver would be able to find a comfortable position, specially also since the lateral travel of seat itself isn't too much.

Would appreciate your inputs.
Old 6th August 2014, 11:00   #186
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Shashi,

Ross, Swiftnfurious & Gannu_1 have already clarified on your concerns.

Quote:
I have driven the Amaze, the Dzire, the Xcent and clearly even a idiot like me who has zero automobile knowledge can clearly see that the Zest is years ahead of all of them
I understand that you are a Manza owner; however, we have to call a spade a spade. The Zest is an extremely competent product and is better than its competitors in many areas. However, I wouldn't agree with your statement that 'the Zest is years ahead of all of them'. Each of these cars has some advantages over the other (e.g. Xcent still has the most premium interiors & Honda the most powerful diesel).

Personally, I think it's a very tough call between the 4 compact sedans in the market.

Quote:
it's reliability and product quality has gone up in the past few years
Improved yes, but consistent reliability like the Dzire? I don't think so. There are several posts on the forum that attest to the same.

In our Zest review cars itself, the touchscreen display had a problem and the petrol's gearshift became unusually clunky after driving around.

Quote:
On our test car, after three hours of driving in the city, the gears seemed to require more effort to engage and sounded noticeably clunkier.
Quote:
Once, while we were adjusting the music volume, an SMS came in and caused all the info in the central part of the screen to disappear.
Quote:
few owners who have brought Tata vehicles in the past 2 years and check their experience before saying what you won't like poor service quality!
I've owned an Indigo for 4 years and there are many Tata vehicles in my friends & family circle. The after-sales experience has mostly been below average -> average. There have been some very good experiences, but they are few & far between.

It is our responsibility to provide the entire picture to our readers. The comments on reliability & after-sales service are based on hard facts. If someone is considering the Zest, these are important areas they need to keep in mind.

Quote:
Since people have such a negative image about Tata products maybe we can even ask Tata for the figures for the Crash Test and then display it transparently for a full blown review!
Until the Indian Government makes it mandatory, no manufacturer is going to share crash test results. You're going to have to wait for that....whether it's for the Zest or other cars.

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2014 at 11:03.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 11:15   #187
Senior - BHPian

I liked the end result after years of wait by TML in launching a new product.
As few have mentioned, the 'drive, ride and handling' aspects are not highlighted as much as in other official T-Bhp reviews.
I can see TML has covered all areas but still there are few things that can go wrong...
1) Supply of transmission by vendor in required volumes.
2) Reliability issues with 1st batch (typical of TML n M&M) IndicaV2 & XUV5OO and many more. Even if it happens again No one will be surprised atleast on T-Bhp. But it would generate lots of negative publicity which TML can't afford anymore.
3) Few may argue but off-late Brand image does play a crucial part. Honda Ads highlight this again and again be its Amaze or Mobilio as the target customers do get enticed by the thought of owning a Honda. Another case to look is the sales numbers of XUV5OO and its resale value and the feedback of its owners. They all point towards two things Reliability, build quality and Brand Image. So if TML manages to create that feel of upmarket product it would be a great success story, but as someone has pointed out Xcent gives that feeling more than Zest. Another way to look at this is that every product has their core strengths and Hyundai's is plush interiors, so why try to match or copy that, lets focus on our core strengths. Its a tough choice indeed.

P.S. - As I mentioned earlier in various other Tata threads, if Tata fans think everyone loves to bash Tata just coz they are Indian should know that expectations are always high with the local brand as compared to outsider and so is the support. This thread is an example of how much we all love Tata and all support it but would bash it again if it lets us all down. Tata also knows it otherwise why this Ad of 'Desh ka Namak'.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 11:59   #188
Senior - BHPian

A query to the reviewers - Was there a under seat storage in the front passenger side ? The Vista has a slide out tray which can hold 2 - 2L bottles

Also while all the excitement about the interior quality is understandable, we should bear in mind that the show cars displayed at various malls could be specific production runs intended for display cars.....but what you and I will buy with our hard earned money is that car which would come out of the factory under the regular production run and would be hugely dependent on

1) The quality checks that TML would do on its vendors for parts
2) The QC that TML would do on its own production line

Lets hope they have fixed this as well. Some signs of this are visible in vehicles like the Storme and "maybe" the new Aria. But managing the same level of consistency in a mass market product will require a lot of dedication/resolve from TML. Lets see if they are upto the game to play in the mass market again !
narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 12:26   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
A query to the reviewers - Was there a under seat storage in the front passenger side ? The Vista has a slide out tray which can hold 2 - 2L bottles
Very well spotted. The Zest I test drove in Chennai DID have this under seat storage under passenger seat, I didnt find it in our TBHP review.

There are sleek/rectangular shaped bottles available today to use on our cars in the slim door storages on offer, so that is a minor issue.
gsurya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 12:31   #190
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful review ! First thoughts in my mind was shock and disbelief that Tata can indeed craft such a nicely finished car if they really want to. I'm yet to see the car in person, but it seems to reek of reasonably good quality and good interior fit and finish.

I also felt a sense of pride that this is coming from an Indian manufacturer. This is a nice positive step from Tata, it will to be a competant choice among the C1 segment compact sedans.

Good thing to note that the spare wheel in the boot is placed with the Air inlet pointing upward. This will avoid the need to flip the spare wheel over whenever one needs to check and fill air. Its stupid of car manufacturers (like Hondas, Hyundais and Marutis in most of their cars) to keep the spare tyre face down, just to get some better Boot volume numbers. This makes it so inconvenient to fill air.
for_cars1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 12:42   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Its stupid of car manufacturers (like Hondas, Hyundais and Marutis in most of their cars) to keep the spare tyre face down, just to get some better Boot volume numbers. This makes it so inconvenient to fill air.
Didn't know such a practice exists among manufacturers. How mean!
Old 6th August 2014, 14:28   #192
BHPian

Thanks for such a detailed review
you guys have outdone yourselves
Tata finally has a product which pushes all the right buttons, Initially I think that they will be offering the Zest with a special price for a short period

special request-IMO you could include short videos in your reviews
Old 6th August 2014, 17:15   #193
BHPian

Excellent review and a commendable effort by TATA.

Now to await the launch and declaration of the prices for each of the variants.

TATA should note that the Petrol / Diesel fuel prices are converging together in view of the recent pricing policy adopted with a view to deregulation of diesel prices as well.

If the Diesel AMT is priced aggressively, it will affect all competitors across fuel variants which would help TATA move up the automotive pecking order again.

Wishing them all the best.
Old 6th August 2014, 18:26   #194
BHPian

At the risk of repeating what many others have already said - Excellent review, Rehaan and Aditya. Thanks for your efforts and do take a bow!

Zest, at least on paper and first impressions, seems to be just what the doctor ordered for Tata. I'll be eagerly watching its launch, as it is time to look at a change from my current Indigo (GLX) to a more efficient petrol or the diesel AMT. Hope Tata ticks all the boxes when it comes to pricing and after sales support on this one.
Old 6th August 2014, 18:51   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Good thing to note that the spare wheel in the boot is placed with the Air inlet pointing upward. This will avoid the need to flip the spare wheel over whenever one needs to check and fill air. Its stupid of car manufacturers (like Hondas, Hyundais and Marutis in most of their cars) to keep the spare tyre face down, just to get some better Boot volume numbers. This makes it so inconvenient to fill air.
DZire atleast seems to have similar placement as I remember.

The mechanism in no way aids/hampers the boot size. That is a specific wheel well in the trunk discounted from boot space.

What it only does is increases/decreases the height of the bolt for fitment. That is the only difference & cost it may entail. In some cars, even that bolt-wingnut fitment mechanism is not present and wheel is placed just without fastening in the well and fits into well precisely.

However, it is indeed good to have the nozzle pointing up to easily fill air. Specifically ask the Fortuner'ers and Innova'ers what a bliss it is with the kind of twisted mechanism Toyota designed.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed