Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2014, 12:20   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
I fail to understand India's obsession with the white and silver color in a car. Let it be any make any model any class. Is it just because they are easy to maintain, don't look dirty even if gather dust? Or something else? In my opinion dark colors like black, Blue, red look much richer and give a persona to any car. Zest looks stunning in blue. Even newly painted in whatever white, silver shade car can't hold a candle to a detailed and polished black car! No doubt dark colours are a headache to maintain but still... That doesn't mean we go on buying either white or silver
Personally for me white colour looks more classy in certain cars (Though in some like old Indica or WagonR looks like Taxi!).

But more importantly white colour is associated with good visibility in nights, so that is another reason.
Old 29th August 2014, 15:32   #647
BHPian

Another call from Tata Concorde today, they have a Red Revotron XT Zest coming in tonight that was 'meant for display' but were willing to deliver it to me tomorrow.

Red Zest looks good, but my wife prefers Beige. I am also a bit suspicious about what 'meant for display' means, whether it is a fully checked & QA-ed production car or not. So I have said I would prefer to wait.

Else, I might have got the first Revotron XT in Mumbai tomorrow
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 15:45   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Another call from Tata Concorde today, they have a Red Revotron XT Zest coming in tonight that was 'meant for display' but were willing to deliver it to me tomorrow.

Red Zest looks good, but my wife prefers Beige. I am also a bit suspicious about what 'meant for display' means, whether it is a fully checked & QA-ed production car or not. So I have said I would prefer to wait.

Go for it mate.

meant for display just means more polish put on the car - no chance that its been abused!
Old 29th August 2014, 16:52   #649
Senior - BHPian

Saw the car a Tayal, Motor Faridabad showroom last Sunday (SA - Mohit). I had actually been to Tayal Motors on an earleir ocassion to dekho the Zest (before launch, but public display at malls going on in those days)... my bad luck as could not see the car then.

Mohit recognised me as soon as he came to me... had a big smile on his face to see me back for the car. I would say this was a positve experience as it can build personal rapo with the SA.

Next saw the car (did not test drove it as I do not want to buy the car in near future... clearly told Mohit who was happy with my honesty), a XMS variant in White. Must say, it was much better than Amaze & Mobilio, inside out. Frankly, the steennig, interior quality colour combo, fat seats, alloys on all variants, 90PS power (except base diesel), good sized (360 Liters) boot (Amaze has usable boot of 380 Liters & another 20 Liters magic boot as per Thai adverts) & low price had me almost salivating. But, with the possession of my flat around, I cannot afford to spend money on car, expecially diesel, which would be my preferred choice as my daily distance between home & office would be 75 kms approx.

However, after the i20 at home I am unable to make up my mind for another Hyundai (i20/ Xcent) or Zest. Fortunately, i have around a year to decide & the sales & ownership reports could be the deciding factor (with more emphasis on latter). Will also speak to my friend who owns a Manza, but complains of nigling issues only, about the issues he faced.

Overall a big thumbs up from my side.
Old 29th August 2014, 18:04   #650
BHPian

Quote:

I saw red zest on road in broad daylight ....it looks smashing in zest. Head turner for sure.

Go for it gsurya..all zests are fresh :-) and unabused. Suggest show it to your wife ...she may change her mind instantly and fall for red .
Old 29th August 2014, 18:06   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Funny part is that people are bashing Tata for the delay (or waiting period) and 6K extra for the white color, but dont complain when a certain other manufacturer makes you wait 3 months for a car, which the dealer says 'lena hai to yehi color hai' and happily make 'deals' of paying 10K-20K extra for early delivery!.
Exactly,. Zest seems to be a very honest attempt by TATA and my impressions after test driving it twice is that it is a good vehicle with a lot of potential. What actually saddens me is the consistent bashing of our own country's brand without much rhyme or reason. I guess people have forgotten how Maruti looted people when swift was much in demand via accessories or how expensive the spares of other brands and how poor their services are, be it VW, Skoda or even Mahindra for that matter. The suspension and feel of Zest is far superior than any maruti/hyundai i have sit in and its a matter of pride for all we indians.
NST440 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 18:14   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Saw the car a Tayal, Motor Faridabad showroom last Sunday (SA - Mohit).
Which cars are available for TD at Tayal? I am particularly interested in TD AMT variant if they have one.
Old 29th August 2014, 19:02   #653
BHPian

There are a couple of videos on YouTube showing Zest delivery. This probably gives the best view of the gray shade.

sachinayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 20:55   #654
BHPian

Drove the XT yesterday at Concorde Silk Board Jn. Some of my comments -

1. The NVH was absolutely thrilling. The Car even when floored, did not seem like a diesel revving inside.
2. The Door closing was pathetic. It had a hard to open handle (requires good grip and strength to open) and the thud to shut was not impressive at all. The sound was scary when my friend got out and shut the door with me sitting inside.
3. The gear box on the XT too felt hard and rocky. Infact the gear lever in thick traffic (second gear) was wobbling vigorously in my hand. But it disappeared in third and top gears.
4. The Foot well matting had come off and was dangling on the accelerator pedal. Felt I should have carried a double side tape with me to fix it once for all.
5. The harman music system was exquisite. Even at MAX volume, there was no odd shudder or noise.
6. Rear view from the driver's seat is great. Reversing the car was a easy and confident task to undertake.
7. The clutch felt very light and nimble and the free release was very narrow. It just might take time to get adjusted, especially in bumper traffic on a TD.
8. The biggest disappointment for me (1 am a 6 footer) was that there was no space to the left of the clutch pedal to hang my tired leg! With such a feather light clutch I felt my leg was hanging mid air all through the city drive. Just keep wondering why TATAs missed this critical part of driver comfort in their design mocks. I guess its high time auto cos involve lay men (like us) for a VOC and feedback before freezing on their blueprints and BIW!
gopa99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 00:22   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
8. The biggest disappointment for me (1 am a 6 footer) was that there was no space to the left of the clutch pedal to hang my tired leg! With such a feather light clutch I felt my leg was hanging mid air all through the city drive. Just keep wondering why TATAs missed this critical part of driver comfort in their design mocks. I guess its high time auto cos involve lay men (like us) for a VOC and feedback before freezing on their blueprints and BIW!
While discussing about lack of space to left of clutch in Zest, one of my friend suggested that we can alter the clutch to right (as there is enough space between clutch and brake) to create space on left of clutch. Probably cutting the clutch pedal and adding some more lever and getting it welded is in his ideas. Somehow that does not sound nice to me.

Has anyone done something of that sort in their cars that lack free space to left of clutch?
Old 30th August 2014, 06:38   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
7. The clutch felt very light and nimble and the free release was very narrow. It just might take time to get adjusted, especially in bumper traffic on a TD.

I felt this too during my TD but thought it was just a matter of getting used to it. I managed to leave my foot on the clutch with a relaxed foot. Will be interesting to see how my Zest behaves when its delivered.
Old 30th August 2014, 08:03   #657
BHPian

This has to be the most well planned Tata car launch ever. Just look at this official accessory list sent to me yesterday by the dealer. Looks like we are going to go crazy doing our Zests up!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-zest_accessories_pg2-800x582.jpg  

gsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 15:30   #658
BHPian

Just booked Zest XMS TD, for white they said waiting period is 8 weeks and for other colors it could be 4 weeks. Let's see , I discussed with sales guy to confirm be within 1 week about maximum delivery time so that I can decide on color.

I am looking for white color since I saw ARIA there in white and as per sales guy this is exactly zest's white would be. it looks nice a kind of metallic white.
Old 30th August 2014, 18:27   #659
BHPian

Took a test drive of Zest Diesel top end model. I am thoroughly impressed. I am sold to Zest!
Currently I drive Figo TDCi. And have Dad's wagonR.
- overall build quality is solid. Though not as solid as Ford.
- NVH is really impressive for a diesel. Absolutely silent cabin.
- Steering is nice to hold and chunky. Its smaller than Figo. I found EPS also quite direct and responsive to inputs
- gear shifts quality is top notch. Though I found placement of the lever on a lower side
- Interiors are of good quality and look premium.
- Ride quality, back seat space are outstanding as is the case with any TATA car.
- Seat fabric is softer than my Figo. I found its cushioning good for a city drive.
- Harman music system and Bluetooth sync and voice command work seamlessly.
- pricing is the icing on the cake.
Old 31st August 2014, 00:25   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
official accessory list
Surya, could you post the list in a better resolution of the list
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks