Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2014, 01:36   #751
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Thank you gsurya, speedmiester and scopriobharath . I'll make it a point to do the PDI before the registration and also try and get a good quote for the insurance.

There was an accessory pack added in the cost breakdown for approximately 2600rs. On enquiring , I was informed that it includes mudflaps, floor mats and a car perfume. I don't know if the price is justified or not so I haven't cancelled it out for now.
Old 12th September 2014, 09:03   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh_66328 View Post

There was an accessory pack added in the cost breakdown for approximately 2600rs. On enquiring , I was informed that it includes mudflaps, floor mats and a car perfume. I don't know if the price is justified or not so I haven't cancelled it out for now.
Harsh - this looks quite reasonable. You may refer the accessory kit have posted earlier by Chennai dealers for around 18k. This looks better than that and don't negotiate on that. Its always better to leave some money on the table to the dealer in the interest of long term relationship
Old 12th September 2014, 11:27   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMeMyself View Post
Anyone here who has pre-booked the Zest online using a credit card and then canceled it? I got a call from Concorde (10 days after my cancellation) intimating that I would need to send across a cancelled cheque after which Tata will issue a cheque towards the refund. Doesn't a refund mean that the refund should happen to the account from which the payment has been made? Why does Tata expect me to go through this hassle of sending across a cheque and then collecting a cheque??!!

Why does Tata have a convoluted process for everything? Earlier it was the lack of transparency/ad-hocness in deliveries and now a late and ridiculous process for refund!
They will do an ECS payment to the account number on your cancelled cheque. That is how ECS is set up in India. You provide a cancelled cheque. No doubt Tata should have implemented direct refunds to the credit card to make it easier.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 14:43   #754
BHPian

I visited Shraddha Motors at Bharuch and was pleasantly surprised at the response, there was a knowledgeable SA who was able to answer most of our queries about the car with an HP tablet to show us the details, after a test drive

I have finalized the Revotron XMS option with twin airbags and I got a quote of Rs.554371/- plus 20748/- Insurance, Rs.4000/- for basic accessories, Rs.5500/- handling charges, Rs.8500/- for extended warranty, Rs.8000/- for AMC, Rs.32224/- for 15year road tax & registration

also they would require a booking amount of Rs.50000 with cancellation charges of Rs.5000/-

as this is my first car, request your valuable guidance
Old 12th September 2014, 15:15   #755
BHPian

For all the readers here on teambhp seriously considering to buy the ZEST, sorry to break the Euphoria, but would like to share with you guys 2 very important aspects

1)TATAs Poor reslae value :
See my post number 3322 here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-222.html

2)TATAs super famous ASS:
See my post number 1507 here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-101.html
Would like to add that CONCORDE WORLI is supposed to be the flagship service centre for TATA all over India.
And if the state of affairs is like this here then god help all other TATA owners too.

I am sorry to the mOds if this seems a little OT . But I seriously feel that all the people who is considering to buy a TATA has to be made aware of things in store with them so please allow this post here.

Last edited by madhu33 : 12th September 2014 at 15:17.
Old 12th September 2014, 15:47   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
I am sorry to the mOds if this seems a little OT . But I seriously feel that all the people who is considering to buy a TATA has to be made aware of things in store with them so please allow this post here.
As someone who booked the Zest before I even saw it in person, I appreciate your concern

I would agree that competition has a much better perception of reliability & robustness in the market, but in my extended family & friend circle there are many happy Tata customers.

My view is Vista, Manza & Aria and even Safari Storme to some extent are far improved products & customers have seen vastly improved reliability & service from Tata.

I expect this to improve even more drastically with Zest, but time will tell.

I never buy anything based on its future resale value & hence am quite a satisfied owner of a 16 year old Fiat Uno & 5-year old Chevy Aveo.

Last edited by gsurya : 12th September 2014 at 16:14.
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 16:03   #757
BHPian

Almost everyone knows about this, but the sheer value of the product in comparison to their competitor and the TATA brand still holds lots of value

IMO they are trying to improve all of their drawbacks, I feel we should give them some time and we should not expect miracles immediately
Old 12th September 2014, 16:41   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For all the readers here on teambhp seriously considering to buy the ZEST, sorry to break the Euphoria, but would like to share with you guys 2 very important aspects

1)TATAs Poor reslae value : ....

2)TATAs super famous ASS: ....
I owned an Indica for 9 years and 2.84 lakh kilometres. I got about 90 K when I sold it. As a matter of fact, Indica's resale value was okay initially then it went down for various reasons.

After the initial free services I never went to an ASS. My car never gave me a reason to do so. Other than regular maintenance schedule it didnt trouble me.

Even if the future resale of the newly launched product is speculated to be poor, I would go for Zest, without euphoria but only with the conviction that the product is on par, if not more, with the competition.

But I appreciate you for pointing out the arguable points of poor resale and bad ASS and thank you for the same.
simplyself is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 17:10   #759
BHPian

Quote:

Well Currently Zest has the best value for money in its segment, and as far as resale value is concerned, i guess we have to look at it differently compared to Indica, Indicgo, Sumo, Safari etc.. This is supposed to be a vast improvement over the previous gen. vehicles. I guess resale value has got to do with brand image also, which i think will only improve with Zest.

As far as ASS is concerned, trust me there are worse than Tatas. It is again subjective and varies from place to place. For instance we have an Indica in the family for last 12 years and absolutely no trouble with ASS during the warranty period and even with the local garage after that. Of course the vehicle has been treated and maintained well and it has served absolutely well and never gone to the garage except usual service or a few electrical problems (mainly due to rats cutting the wires at times in the parking)

So both ASS and Resale value will only get better i believe with Zest.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 17:26   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1)TATAs Poor reslae value : ....
Can't comment on the poor ASS.

As for the poor resale value, it's the same with dealers of almost all brands. That's how they make money - offer a pittance for the exchanged car, give some measly loyalty bonus, touch it up and sell it to some poor soul at an inflated price.

Don't you would get a more accurate reading of the resale value if you sell it yourself to an individual, and not a used car dealer?

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 19:40   #761

I am planning to book XT petrol in the next few days.
Can anyone guide me whether to get the extended 1 year warranty today itself?

Regards,
Mayur
Old 12th September 2014, 22:04   #762
BHPian

Guys I'm trying to decide between zest, swift, brio and grand i10. My requirements:

1.40 km of daily commute most of which is Goan highway.
2.Will be driven by me most of the time. Other times with two passengers.
3.Should have a fun to drive quotient. Also good highway stability and ride quality.
4.Abs airbags a must. Good music systems.
5.Good A.S.S and cost of ownership.

Apart from the terrific vfm offered by zest, one thing that has caught my eyes is the higher torque the revotron offers. As someone who is used to diesel cars(fiesta 1.4), will i find a significant use for the higher torque interms of low speed drivability and getting of the line? How would you compare it to the k12 engine of the swift in this aspect(swift because i have some experience with car). Also if it does have an advantage, does it offset the slight preference i have towards the swift because of its meaty mid and high revs? Even though I did not stall the swift on my td, I find myself being extra cautious getting off the line. But I guess I'll get used to petrol engines eventually Sadly no petrol zest td vehicles are available here in Goa.

One more area of concern is that there is only one Tata dealer in the state. How does Tata ownership cost compare to Maruti and ford? Will it be complete peace of mind incase of zest with the standard 3 years warranty+extended warranty. I need a reliable vehicle for atleast 6 years.
Old 12th September 2014, 22:54   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Purchase decisions should not be based only on resale value; If that is the case, people should only consider Toyota, Honda or Maruti. What matters most is, whether the purchase price is justified or not. Right now the Zest is reasonably priced and value for money. If the demand for Zest increases, the resale value also will increase automatically.
2.Every body agree to the fact that Tata ASS is not as good as Toyota's. But they are on par with some other competitors. There are many instances where people got exceptional service from Tata ASS. We should consider this as a one-off case and it is unfair to project this as the norm at any TASS.

Last edited by teamveevee : 12th September 2014 at 22:57.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 22:56   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
One more area of concern is that there is only one Tata dealer in the state. How does Tata ownership cost compare to Maruti and ford? Will it be complete peace of mind incase of zest with the standard 3 years warranty+extended warranty. I need a reliable vehicle for atleast 6 years.
I'm not sure about the TASS in Goa but based on the comments in the forum and elsewhere, petrol Indica owners seem to be much more satisfied than the diesel owners in terms of reliability and maintenance even in case of long term ownership.

Even in case of diesel, we had a 2004 Indica V2 in our family that served well for 8 years and 80k kms. It started giving troubles only around the 75000km mark, which seems to be a magic number in case of Indica/Indigo diesels of that era as I've heard others with same opinion that all the major works started hitting around this range.
Old 12th September 2014, 23:17   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by san2 View Post
I visited Shraddha Motors at Bharuch and was pleasantly surprised at the response, there was a knowledgeable SA who was able to answer most of our queries about the car with an HP tablet to show us the details, after a test drive

I have finalized the Revotron XMS option with twin airbags and I got a quote of Rs.554371/- plus 20748/- Insurance, Rs.4000/- for basic accessories, Rs.5500/- handling charges, Rs.8500/- for extended warranty, Rs.8000/- for AMC, Rs.32224/- for 15year road tax & registration

also they would require a booking amount of Rs.50000 with cancellation charges of Rs.5000/-

as this is my first car, request your valuable guidance
Accessories are expensive , since its option they should remove it.
Booking amount is 21000 as standard although upto you what you want to pay .

Cancellation charges are always at discretion of dealers although I am not sure if legally we can challenge them for charging this.

Most Viewed