Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:29   #1126
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post
Hi Guys,

So the Zest seems all good to most people. I have now gone through the process of getting a quote, and going through the rest of it. Just read above about a major failure in one of the car bought recently, now iam sure that is not usual, and would be a very rare case, but it kinda scared me.

My choice has been really tough between DZire and Zest, with what i hear, decision takes a back step. Iam hoping Zest changes my perception of Tata cars being high on maintenance.

Regards,
Devyaani.
Devyaani, I don't see a major risk with the Zest decision. The Brake Cylinder issue is a one off. Also, even at poor braking I am sure the Zest will brake better than the Dzire

From a maintenance perspective, my Vista will complete 5 years and I have spend next to nothing on maintenance (thanks to the AMC). Only incidentals have been when I have damaged something and my battery (after 4 years)
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 20:01   #1127
BHPian

I had posted a query to Tata Motors enquiring about the top end QJD and Rovotron AMT variants.

Here, is their reply.

"Dear Sir,

Thank you*for sharing your valuable feedback on Zest.

We would not be able to share any details as there has been no official communication.

Regards,
The Zest Team"
Old 23rd October 2014, 14:21   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Check insurance from outside you may do some savings there
Thank you. I will check for insurance from outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
Company provided Extended Warranty at Bangalore is Rs 8200 and I believe it is same everywhere. So please check if the one quoted by you is from dealer or Tata Motors, if it is from dealer, then it may be better to go for the Tata one.

Also can you specify what is provided under accessories for 5000. For Anti rust and Teflon, price seems ok, but ensure that genuine products are used and a warranty is provided for it.

I believe you can save a minimum of Rs 5000 on regular insurance if you try outside, check online options like Royal Sundaram first.

I am not willing to go for extended warranty, not much value I believe, but yes, I will take the Gold AMC for sure. About the accessories, I am not interested in whatever they will provide for those 5000. Probably I will get a reverse camera installed and usual mats etc and nothing much, so I am just ignoring this part. Insurance, from outside, duly noted sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Like others have suggested, better to go with insurance on your own, and also the VAS stuff, ignore it and get it done at 3M or other similar companies, where they would do a professional job, in front on your eyes.

Along with SBI, other banks are also offering festival offers like no processing fees and other such benefits. Do check with few more banks and then decide. I have an SBI car loan, no complaints, nor are there any special privileges of getting it.

I see that you are buying the car in mathura and looking at a loan from Bangalore? Is that even possible? I think there is a separate thread on the exact same issue, please check if it is possible.
I couldn't find that thread buddy. Can you please share the link, if you find it? The SBI centralized customer care says that it is possible but depends on the branch, and the branches are denying. Probably it is not possible, as you said. Yes, but they are saying that I can avail loan from any SBI branch in Mathura and the verification part will happen in Bangalore. Still, if I could get a loan from Bangalore itself, it would have been great.
Old 23rd October 2014, 15:00   #1129
BHPian

Can someone comment on the vibrating gear level in the petrol zest.I have a friend who has booked the XT petrol but is worried about the gear lever shaking while accelerating. The same was felt in the test cars at both the dealerships. Can anyone please confirm if the issue persists in your own cars.
Old 23rd October 2014, 15:08   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Can someone comment on the vibrating gear level in the petrol zest.I have a friend who has booked the XT petrol but is worried about the gear lever shaking while accelerating. The same was felt in the test cars at both the dealerships. Can anyone please confirm if the issue persists in your own cars.
The mild gear lever vibration is there for sure in the ZEST (both revotron & Qjet)
However it is nothing to be worried of.
I guess it is something to do with Turbo charged cars.

Last edited by madhu33 : 23rd October 2014 at 15:10.
madhu33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 00:09   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Looks like Kerala has taken to the Zest! Must have seen atleast 10 of them on the roads! The Road Presence is really good. The more I see the Zest the more attractive it seems compared to the other's of it's class!
+1 Have been spotting many Zest in Bangalore too. Past 2 days, have easily seen 4-5 cars around Jayanagar 4th block. White and Blue are the colors spotted.
I just love the white one!!

I think I'm getting much closer to book one!
Old 24th October 2014, 10:00   #1132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post

I am not willing to go for extended warranty, not much value I believe, but yes,........
I'd suggest you to opt for the extended warranty. Just a personal opinion. But I feel the peace of mind it gives is worth the extra money. in the 4th year is generally when some electronic/electrical parts start showing age. I'm not saying they certainly fail, but just a couple of power window switch+motors / starter motor, ORVM adjustment motors, wiper motor, some suspension components if need replacement - recover more than the amount you paid for the EW. And TASS is very good at honouring warranty claims without any fuss.
Old 24th October 2014, 12:41   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
The mild gear lever vibration is there for sure in the ZEST (both revotron & Qjet)
However it is nothing to be worried of.
I guess it is something to do with Turbo charged cars.
Gear lever is very still, no trace of vibration even when in lower gears or in higher gears with slow speeds or on doing good speeds on broken tarmac in my diesel XM
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 13:06   #1134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Gear lever is very still, no trace of vibration even when in lower gears or in higher gears with slow speeds or on doing good speeds on broken tarmac in my diesel XM
I'd second that. Didn't experience any vibration / shake in Revotron or QJD when I test-drove both. Vibration / shake won't be a case certainly with the Quadrajet as the same engine and cable gear-shifter mechanism does duty in countless other Tata cars without complaints. It may be an abuse problem with the particular car they tested I think.

And @madhu33, it has got absolutely no link with the turbo really. The gear shifter has nothing to do with the turbo. In most implementations, the two sit on opposite sides of the engine block & the trubo is pretty refined & does not produce any noticeable vibrations - its a prerequisite or it would not last the distance.

Last edited by Reinhard : 24th October 2014 at 13:09.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 11:13   #1135
BHPian

Here is my opinion after driving my Zest Revotroon XTfor 700 kms including a 300 kms trip.

Positives -
  • Awesome NVH levels leading to Super silent Cabin.
  • Unbelievably good music system. No issues found in connecting to Android and IOS devices, including calling and call logs.
  • Superb braking and cornering stability. Turing on hills was a breeze with EPAS steering and planted feel.
  • Very spacious cabin and ergonomically designed steering and switches.
  • Quick AC cooling (Not in economy AC mode)
  • Mileage of 18.4 achieved during highway drive (Bangalore - Mysore Highway) including hilly area with AC (Eco mode) and speeds from 70 -100 km/hr. Felt best mileage is achieved at speeds of about 80 Km/hr. Finally ended our 286 km trip with a very decent 17.6 km/ltr after encountering Bangalore city traffic for last 20 odd kms.
  • Lot of people approach you asking about the car and generally appreciative glances
  • Pleasant interaction with Dealer (Prerana Motors) and Tata Motors sales team.

Milege at end of trip
Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20141023_201735.jpg

Negatives -
  • Fit and finish still not at levels of Hyundai especially paint job below par on my car.
  • Design flaw with MUD ENTERING ENGINE (This issue has been widely reported in all automotive forums and Facebook page of TML), but response from TML has been lethargic.
  • Mileage in city (driving with AC for about 80% time and ECO mode for 50%) is about 10.7 km/ltr.
  • Poor pickup in 2nd gear, sometimes engine stalls at speed of 20 km/hr in 2nd gear(Eco and City Mode).
  • OEM Head light not very bright for highway driving.
  • Audio Switches (volume) on steering responds vaguely. Dealer asked me to bring it for a check.

Pic of headlight from engine bay just after a day's drive in rain
Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20141024_100530.jpg

Overall -

I am very happy with the car and found absolutely no vibration on gear knob (I drive with my hand on gear lever in city) and with High seating it almost feels like driving a mini SUV. I really hope TML is working on a fix for that design flaw where mud/grime/water enters engine bay, as I feel it will cause long term issue with electrical wiring.
isandy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 14:50   #1136

I have driven XMA for a week now, have got used to AMT shifts and driving much more smoother. I was also able to pair my Samsung Galaxy Grand to Harman. One thing I noticed has a potential issue in my car (not sure others are facing), when I have drive vehicle lock enabled, the door locks keep making continuous noise (click clack) as if it is trying to auto lock every now and then. Currently i have kept drive lock functionaIity currently disabled. I will get it checked in first service. Anybody else facing similar scenario, please share.
vauto_fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 16:14   #1137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vauto_fan View Post
One thing I noticed has a potential issue in my car (not sure others are facing), when I have drive vehicle lock enabled, the door locks keep making continuous noise (click clack) as if it is trying to auto lock every now and then. Currently i have kept drive lock functionaIity currently disabled. I will get it checked in first service. Anybody else facing similar scenario, please share.
Yes, somebody has reported this issue previosly in this thread. You may want to search in this thread to find it out.
Old 25th October 2014, 17:46   #1138
BHPian

My SA called today afternoon and said that my vehicle is in transit. He said that it would take 8-9 days. Then he enquired as to how I was planning to pay. I told him that I would pay only after seeing the vehicle first, to which he was ok.
Old 25th October 2014, 18:44   #1139
BHPian

Is AMT is good idea in the long run?

I came across this article in the British newspaper "The Telegraph".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...uld-I-buy.html

Quote:
Do not choose an automated manual because they can be unpleasant to drive and become expensively unreliable after a few years. Do not choose a VAG DSG or s-tronic because they can hesitate when accelerating out of sideroads and the DSG-7s have had some very serious problems. Toyota CVTs (called 'Multidrive S') are generally good, as are Honda CVTs and torque converter autos, but i-shifts should be avoided. BMW and Mercedes torque converter automatics are good, but require regular changes of fluid. Ford Powershifts have proven to be much better than DSGs and because you don't have to brake to shift from N to D, the switch can't stick as it can with a DSG and there is no hesitation emerging from side roads. Astras now have six-speed torque converter autos.
The European market has been exposed to various technologies and some of it filters down to India. So I think that this article is food for thought...
Motard_Blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 11:22   #1140
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thought of sharing my friend's test drive experience in Bangalore. Dealers: KHT Motors. They SA came with the car to his location. Car tested was top end petrol XT. Overall he said it was a good Exp. The only thing is the dealer is not offering any discounts or freebies. So all you guys in Bangalore, you might have dealt with other dealers there, what has been your take on this ? He was also informed, waiting period for the Sky Grey color top end version would be around 5-6 weeks.

No deals on insurance or anything else, is pretty bad. Can anyone share at what rate they got insurance if taken on their own and not through the dealer ? what about AMC etc ?

Regards,
Devyaani.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks