Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:12   #1381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I'm assuming you are not getting any year end discounts for Zest. If there are year end discounts, it would typically compensate the lower resale for 2014 model. It is the date of manufacture that counts, not the date of registration. So delaying the registration date is not going to help much. However, if you can wait till mid to end Jan, you might be able to get a 2015 car which would have its plus when you try to sell it later.
Resale is of no concern really as my parents keep their cars untill the last screw falls down. 7-8 years at least.
Getting it in 2015 is more a psychological thing I believe. Also, since after October they have changed the door pad shade, I wonder if there are anymore changes in this upgrade. If there are, even though the dealer has got the inventory, I will push for a post October manufactured car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
That is correct. However, one has to keep in mind that "333 confidence" scheme is available only till Dec. If one wants to take advantage of it, at least the invoice should be done in Dec.
So after Dec, the scheme is to be taken out? :O
If this is true, I don't wish to wait any further. Even if they give this scheme for additional charges, I am willing to get the car in Dec then.
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:33   #1382
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Resale is of no concern really as my parents keep their cars untill the last screw falls down. 7-8 years at least.
Getting it in 2015 is more a psychological thing I believe. Also, since after October they have changed the door pad shade, I wonder if there are anymore changes in this upgrade. If there are, even though the dealer has got the inventory, I will push for a post October manufactured car.
My friend who took the delivery on Sunday, got an October manufactured car. If it is the XT variant then you will more or less get the max one or two months prior manufactured car.

What is this door pad change that you are mentioning?
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:43   #1383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenSangi View Post
Took delivery of my XMS Revotron on Friday evening from Concorde Motors, Sanathnagar. Delivery process was smooth and took 4 hours for the process. Here are few pics
Hey congratulations on the new ride. Wishing you and your family unlimited safe and happy miles!

The opportunity to be the first to post an ownership report is still open I think .

By the way what took 4 hours?? If it was smooth, it should have been over within an hour! Or you reached the showroom 3 hours before scheduled time?
Old 2nd December 2014, 17:05   #1384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
Can you please throw some light on FE figures ? I am really interested in knowing city mileage.
As per MID display it is ranging between 12.8 to 14.6 kmpl. I am yet to measure on tank full method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vauto_fan View Post
I have been driving XMA over last 1 month. Havenot clocked any long highway miles yet, have driven primarily in stop and go city traffic (620 kms). Feels good to drive and I slowly understood the shifting positions of gears and able to accelerate relatively smooth now as compared to jerky initial days.

Couple of problems I am seeing:

1) In last one week I am seeing a problem with EPAS. The EPAS failure light glows once in a while and steering becomes so tight (feels like a truck). Fortunately it has happened mostly when I pull out of the parking, and not while on full drive. After twisting and turning the steering few times fault light used to disappear. Today the fault light held on for 10 mins, I decided to park it back and restarted after 3-4 hours the fault lamp did not glow. Without taking further risk, I have dropped the car in the service shop today to do a check on EPAS.

2) The left hand door open indicator flashes indicating it is open when I am in 3rd gear and above. It appears and disappears. Looks like a door sensor issue. I am also thinking that this is causing another problem, when I have drive lock setting on , it keeps on making 'kat kat' noise every few minutes as if it is trying to auto lock. I am suspecting the faulty sensor might be causin this problem.

Will update as soon as I hear back from the service shop.
Got my car back from Service Shop. The EPAS issue they figured out as "Wheel Speed Sensor R/RERRO CODE - (U0131-8) Communication with EPAS". They fixed /tightened and cleaned some coupling and reset the error code.

The door open warning display and auto drive lock noise also has been fixed. They said it was minor adjustment of some door sensor mechanism.

Additional update - Mud in Engine Bay issue they are expecting kit to come in another 4-5 days (KHT Motors, Whitefield, Bangalore)

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd December 2014 at 15:08. Reason: back-to-back post
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:20   #1385
BHPian

Hi guys,

So here's the deal, my loan is taking a little more time then expected, i heard from the dealer that the car, was supposed to arrive at their yard, it did arrive on time, and they allotted the same to someone else. :(

I don't have an issue, the only point is, should the dealer have atleast informed me? Can i take this up with them ?

Regards,
Devyaani.
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:00   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vauto_fan View Post
I have been driving XMA over last 1 month. Havenot clocked any long highway miles yet, have driven primarily in stop and go city traffic (620 kms). Feels good to drive and I slowly understood the shifting positions of gears and able to accelerate relatively smooth now as compared to jerky initial days.

Couple of problems I am seeing:

1) In last one week I am seeing a problem with EPAS. The EPAS failure light glows once in a while and steering becomes so tight (feels like a truck). Fortunately it has happened mostly when I pull out of the parking, and not while on full drive. After twisting and turning the steering few times fault light used to disappear. Today the fault light held on for 10 mins, I decided to park it back and restarted after 3-4 hours the fault lamp did not glow. Without taking further risk, I have dropped the car in the service shop today to do a check on EPAS..
Well for me it might not be a problem, but a doubt. I feel the steering for my XT diesel has become stiffer as compared to I iyial days. My car stands around 3k+ km old now. Maybe I'm just used to it now. But I certainly feel the difference.

Any one else with a similar thing?
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:05   #1387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post
Hi guys,
I don't have an issue, the only point is, should the dealer have atleast informed me? Can i take this up with them ?

Regards,
Devyaani.
So you mean they didn't call you at all when the car arrived? And when you called, they said the car was given away to someone else?
Old 4th December 2014, 02:24   #1388
BHPian

I own an XMS Quadrajet, dune beige, September end registration. Its clocked 4100 km now and thought I will share my experience with the car on the forum.

Why I bought the Zest?
a) Actually I was in the market for a premium diesel hatch, my options being the Punto evo, elite i20 and the new Polo. The Punto evo disappointed me with its cosmetics, exterior>interior. The i20 Asta OTR price tag of 8.7 lakhs, I felt, was a bit too steep for a hatch. Plus, not to offend any owners/fans but I feel Hyundai cars, though feature rich, have very ordinary mechanicals. The Polo would have been it if I hadn't seen the Zest.
b) I checked out the Zest after hearing a few good things about the car in its reviews. After spending close to an hour in the showroom and the TD, I was impressed and booked one.

Why XMS and why diesel?
a) I needed a manual, so no AMT. When comparing the features list of the XMS and the XT, the only two features I felt I would miss on the XMS were the automatic climate control and reverse parking sensors for which I didn't want to fork out another 70k. The ICE indeed is drastically different but I need it just for the music and bluetooth telephony which the XMS does provide.
b) I booked the car August end. I was not that sure about the Revotron engine, being new and yet to prove itself. The multijet engine, being time tested was the choice for me. Diesel>Petrol, also because I run around 1000-1200 km per month on an average.

Dealership experience..
Very good. I booked the car August 28th and received the vehicle on September 27th. 7.48 lakhs OTR. The whole process was smooth enough and no issues whatsoever in that department.

Friends, family, neighbours..
9 out of 10 people discouraged and chided me for going with a Tata. On an average, 7 of those 9 changed their stance after seeing the car in flesh and having a ride on it.

My Zest experience..
1) Ample amounts of space. It can seat 5 adults comfortably. The leg room, head room and shoulder room are good.
2) The seats are comfortable with adequate under-thigh support. I have done quite a few long drives on the car and though the seats are soft, it supports you well enough on those long drives.
3) Usable storage spaces are few. The boot is reasonably adequate.
4) Easy to get in and get out of the car as doors open wide and the seating position is high.
5) Excellent driving position. Road visibility is very good with the large glass area and optimally high dashboard design. Further, the seat height adjustment feature allows you to improve on your driving position. Without reverse parking sensors, parallel parking is tough though. Rear visibility is poor.
6) The small-radius steering wheel looks fantastic and is easy to manoeuvre. Its lifeless though. Be it 30km/h or 110km/h, the feedback from the steering is the same. Good for city driving. Good, but not fun when on the highways. I would have preferred the wheel to weigh up a bit as the speed increased.
7) Handling is pitch perfect. Nothing to worry.
8) In spite of the 90PS, I feel a lack of power at times, especially when trying to overtake. Its difficult without downshifting to complete the manoeuvre then.
8) The key should have been a bit more chunky, I feel. You need to exert some extra force to insert the key, be it the ignition, the door or the boot. You get used to it, but then..
9) The clutch is light and the gear shift is smooth. There's no dead pedal but I don't miss it. My left leg aches after driving my brother's Palio, my cousin's Vento and my friend's Laura. No such problems with the Zest.
10) Gear lever vibrations are indeed there, especially in the lower gears. I'm not sure if its something to be concerned about though. I don't know how to put it but 1st, 2nd and 3rd are not very usable gears. You will have to upshift to 4th and 5th from the lower gears quickly to get the ratios right.
11) I found it difficult to slot the 1st gear a couple of times in my car. I don't know if its something to do with my car or me.
11) Mud in engine bay is indeed an issue, which I understand, is being addressed by TML.
12) The air conditioning is very efficient. However hot it is outside, the cabin is cooled fast enough.
13) The stock headlamps, I feel are not good enough. Visibility is good when you're driving in the dark, but when on the highways with some street lighting and other traffic, the visibility is not as good as you would like it to be.
14) Brakes are adequate, not great. The brake bite seemed especially poor to me.
15) FE figures (as per the MID):
Highways (a/c): 20-22
Highways (without a/c): 22-24
City (stop-go traffic, a/c): 13-15

My average over 4000 kms with around 40% city and the rest highway driving: 18.9 km/l

16) The Harman Kardon ICE is very good. I tried comparing the sound with that of the XT and felt the quality in my XMS a bit lacking at very high volumes, ie, in the 20-30 range. But realistically, how many of us hear music at volumes that high?.. I go between 10 and 16 most of the time and couldn't perceive much of a difference between the XT and the XMS in that range.
17) Good NVH levels. Cabin is silent enough at low to medium speeds, but then on, some of the gruff filters through.
18) One feature I felt very useful was the gear shift indicator. I depend quite heavily on the engine note to change my gears and when the music is on at high volumes, this feature helps me shift the gear properly.

Niggles so far..
a) Severe echoing and distortion with the bluetooth calls. Its been a week now since it started.
b) Underbody scraped once when a truck forced me off the road and I hit a rough patch. No damage though.
c) The distance to empty meter got stuck for a while in between. The fuel guage also got stuck at the same time. It got OK on its own later.

Wishlist:
Boot lamp and electrically foldable ORVMs, though its a bit greedy to ask for since TATA has packed in quite a lot of things at such incredibly competent price points.
mobydick1983 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 08:25   #1389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobydick1983 View Post
My Zest experience..
Nice review with a good practical and real-life perspective.

Quote:
8) In spite of the 90PS, I feel a lack of power at times, especially when trying to overtake. Its difficult without downshifting to complete the manoeuvre then.
Are you below the 2200rpm? Welcome to the world of turbo lag. It doesn't matter whether it is 75PS or 90PS if you are below turbo activation rpm.

Quote:
10) Gear lever vibrations are indeed there, especially in the lower gears. I'm not sure if its something to be concerned about though. I don't know how to put it but 1st, 2nd and 3rd are not very usable gears. You will have to upshift to 4th and 5th from the lower gears quickly to get the ratios right.
Gear lever vibration is present even in my swift diesel and I guess it is 'normal'. It vibrates only if accelerator is present and when you take your foot off the accelerator, the vibration stops.

Quote:
11) I found it difficult to slot the 1st gear a couple of times in my car. I don't know if its something to do with my car or me.
My brother felt the same in our Swift and in all those instances, it was because the vehicle was still rolling very slowly and it was optimal for second gear. Are you finding it difficult to slot into 1st gear when the car was standstill or when rolling slightly? If it was latter, try the second gear then. MJD has enough torque to pull in second gear if the car is already in motion.

BTW, what does the gear shift indicator say at that time?

Quote:
Wishlist:
Boot lamp and electrically foldable ORVMs, though its a bit greedy to ask for since TATA has packed in quite a lot of things at such incredibly competent price points.
Electrically foldable mirror - yes, you are asking too much from XMS.

Boot lamp costs really nothing extra to the manufacturer and hence it is always irritating to see it restricted to top end or omitted entirely. It is a very useful feature in any car, be it in any segment.

Last edited by zenren : 4th December 2014 at 08:26.
Old 4th December 2014, 09:55   #1390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Niggles so far..
a) Severe echoing and distortion with the bluetooth calls. Its been a week now since it started.
Have not been happy with quality of voice on bluetooth calls in other brands too. Hence have stopped using this feature. I prefer a BT headset since I can also carry it around even when not in the car.
Old 4th December 2014, 11:52   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
So you mean they didn't call you at all when the car arrived? And when you called, they said the car was given away to someone else?
Yes exactly. That is what happened. They have given another date now.
Old 4th December 2014, 11:53   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
9) The clutch is light and the gear shift is smooth. There's no dead pedal but I don't miss it. My left leg aches after driving my brother's Palio, my cousin's Vento and my friend's Laura. No such problems with the Zest.
Your foot hurts in the Palio coz there is a dead pedal or coz the clutch per say is heavy?

On my Palio MJD, have driven 890 km in one short in day with only 3 breaks and found no real tiredness in the body or pain in the foot. The drive being on the express way, found the dead pedal very useful.Only issue was that my body was stiff after a 11 hour drive.
Old 4th December 2014, 12:04   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own an XMS Quadrajet, dune beige, September end registration. Its clocked 4100 km now and thought I will share my experience with the car on the forum.

Wishlist:
congratulation on your zest. After reading so many positive review I am planning to test drive one and see if it can be a worthy upgrade to my figo (spoilt by dynamics and handling of figo ). Zest Pricing is absolutely brilliant and they have packed really good features at the price point.

May be auto-folding mirrors they should have provided as accessories ? for boot lamp you can try one of these small LED lamps from ebay

http://www.ebay.in/itm/2-Pcs-Mini-Co...item27e635ddd1
Old 4th December 2014, 17:35   #1394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This post deserves to be a seperate thread!
mobydick, I think your review needs a bit more visibility. I hope you know how to create a thread. Thanks!

and while I'm at it, might I request you to post some pictures of your car as well!
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 11:38   #1395
BHPian

#greenhorn.. As per your suggestion, I have copy/pasted the same post on the 'Test Drive and Initial Ownership Report' page as a separate thread. Thank you.

#recshenoy.. Boot lamp is not that essential for me. I will check it out though. Thank you.

#pareshraheja.. Yes, I was talking about the 'heavy' clutch only. The leg aching part in the Palio is when I have to drive a whole day in Cochin's traffic for my extended family's shopping and dining endeavours. I don't know how a dead pedal is supposed to give leg aches. I thought it was obvious from my post that I meant the heavy clutch. Sorry that I was not clear.

#condor.. Until a week before, the bluetooth was working perfectly fine and I was very happy with it. I plan to get it checked during the first service. Hope it can be repaired.

#zenren.. Thank you for your valuable inputs. The gear slotting problem was when I was at a traffic signal, not sure if any minimal rolling was there. I didn't check the gear indicator at that time either. I will note the things you said, the next time around this happens and let you know.

Most Viewed